Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Your starting Samurai sword and bow are completely fine and you can use them no problem...but are you using the starting shield? I'd almost never tell someone that this or that starting gear is no good and needs to be abandoned, but I don't think that shield blocks all physical damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

You can also jump to avoid any stomp or low sweep attacks, and there's a lot more of these than you'd think, which puts you in an excellent position to do a jumping R2. It's less reliable than good ol' roll towards them to their right tho

Also don't panic roll, 90% of the time just sprinting to reposition is better and roll spamming will almost certainly guarantee you get hit by a roll catch or just awkward timing

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Suburban Dad posted:

feel like there's rarely an opportunity to hit anything more than one quick attack before they're back to stabbing me or I'm too far away to hit due to rolling for my life.

straight swords are good because they're pretty fast and cover a broad area. one area where they don't excel is stance damage. you can make enemies stagger more if you use heavier weapons. you may also experiment with more heavy jumping attacks with your current weapon, but you should have an easier time with guys like the knights in stormveil if you bring a weapon like the large club or the zweihander and set the pace of the fight yourself

and don't sleep on counter hits (heavy attack immediately after blocking) - they do tremendous stance damage

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tungsten posted:

straight swords are good because they're pretty fast and cover a broad area. one area where they don't excel is stance damage. you can make enemies stagger more if you use heavier weapons. you may also experiment with more heavy jumping attacks with your current weapon, but you should have an easier time with guys like the knights in stormveil if you bring a weapon like the large club or the zweihander and set the pace of the fight yourself

Normally yes, but the Uchi specifically has a weapon art whose L2 does as much stance damage as Lion's Claw. It's very very good and the sort of thing that's so good it's the reason you'd be using the weapon over another maybe not at this point, but certainly sooner than later. Guard counters do dumpster enemies but I can't really recommend it with the starting shield for Samurai or any light shield really.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Epic High Five posted:

Normally yes, but the Uchi specifically has a weapon art whose L2 does as much stance damage as Lion's Claw. It's very very good and the sort of thing that's so good it's the reason you'd be using the weapon over another maybe not at this point, but certainly sooner than later. Guard counters do dumpster enemies but I can't really recommend it with the starting shield for Samurai or any light shield really.

oh poo poo, i missed that he had an uchigatana

make sure to use the heavy running attack, it's brutal

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you want something that feels good and zippy but has more oomph, the Bloodhound Fang you may already have is the eternal favorite of new players for a reason. Does bleed as well, and powerstances with the Dismounter and Omen Cleaver, both of which are available super early if you have the endurance. Its weapon art is basically a variant of the best ash in the game to close distance and has its own R2 followup that does loads of damage, but really though the Uchi is good enough to see you through the whole game so it's not a priority compared to the other stuff.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Dual wield the other Uchi you find in the opening area then jump L1 everything. I’m also a first time player and this has worked really well for me. The only other strategy I’ve deployed is just dumping everything into Vigor for now. I think I’m +4 on the right and +3 on the left and feel like L1, jumping attacks and L2 moves handle almost every situation. I’m about to start Stormveil and have beaten Margit for reference. I may have the same wall approaching that you’ve hit to be fair. The only thing I’ve really struggled with and can’t beat is the evergael right past the big gate (off to the left).

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As long as you are willing to persist you can progress. Elden Ring is fantastic at gradually training you to get past your current challenge. It's alien to imagine but at some point Caelid goes from what I thought of as "Red Hell" to a wacky fun playground. Same for Stormveil and so on and yes my first two runs through it were with a mix of cautious terror and getting cratered anyway. Every enemy has more tells and openings than you recognize at first. Everything in Stormveil moves in slow motion to me now. I'm kind of curious how I'll feel replaying Souls games and Bloodborne/Sekiro after the Elden Ring Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

Something I like to do is fight one of every new enemy I encounter head on, then to get more aggressive, tricky or to sneak/run around once I've seen a few, if I can. Also good to clear an area out to investigate for loot, you train yourself to fight scary giant head dogs by fighting them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW I reinstalled DS1 Last weekend, grabbed a greatsword, and died because my sword kept hitting walls. It's actually kind of funny, I subsequently remembered that being a problem back when DS1 was new and I addressed it then by using the long sword, because its moveset could handle both crowds and tight corridors, but I'd kind of forgotten the lesson in ER because the levels are so much roomier.

Also, my poise and the enemy poise didn't act the way DS3 and ER had conditioned me to expect, a lot more enemy attacks seemed to have hyper poise, leading to unexpected trades.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Thank you so much for all the tips and not being internet jerks saying "git gud." Yes I do have a better shield with 100 physical but didn't find another ugi to match mine.

I did Margit on the first try with an AI summon (I think? I'm playing offline on my steam deck because otherwise it closes the game every time I reopen it from sleeping the system) but the knights with big rear end sword/shields and halberds slice and dice me. I've literally never used the ugi 2h so it sounds like it will change completely how I play. I only figured out how to use the ash on my bow by accident, lol.

I have used all the seeds for my flasks. I have 6 total (all hp) and I think it's +2. For the other one I think I have it set to half hp and maybe some attack boost. Not sure what all I have unlocked for that since I usually die before I can switch to use that one, haha.

I'll practice more on those lesser knight dudes 2h and try to get used to it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Thank you so much for all the tips and not being internet jerks saying "git gud." Yes I do have a better shield with 100 physical but didn't find another ugi to match mine.

I did Margit on the first try with an AI summon (I think? I'm playing offline on my steam deck because otherwise it closes the game every time I reopen it from sleeping the system) but the knights with big rear end sword/shields and halberds slice and dice me. I've literally never used the ugi 2h so it sounds like it will change completely how I play. I only figured out how to use the ash on my bow by accident, lol.

I have used all the seeds for my flasks. I have 6 total (all hp) and I think it's +2. For the other one I think I have it set to half hp and maybe some attack boost. Not sure what all I have unlocked for that since I usually die before I can switch to use that one, haha.

My first expedition into Souls games was in January this year, as fresh to the series as you are, you're doing fine and honestly you'd be shocked at how not toxic the Souls community is. It's not really competitive like a CoD and anyway we're all approaching middle age here lol. Really tho none of us can even afford to be mean if we wanted to because the most fun we can have with the series now is following along with someone who is playing through one for the first time.

You've got yourself in a great spot, you're picking up faster than I did and DS1 is way simpler. One thing I did that can help you build confidence and muscle memory is to just enter a fight or phase that's giving you trouble and then just survive as long as you possibly can. Eventually you'll be so used to the attacks and patterns that you enter a sort of zen state and just totally demolish them.

Don't sleep on Unsheathe R2s! Putting 1-2 charges into blue flask and putting that on your triangle hotbar is a good way to ensure you're always able to use it when the opening presents itself

edit - Margit first try at RL35ish even with Rogier is no mean feat, once you figure the knight guys out you'll be fine until you run into one of the biggest badass knights and pine for the days of the dark room twin swords guy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I needed a slash weapon so I'm using the ice lightning katana. It procs in three hits on nearly everything. This seems underrated because nobody ever mentions it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that weapon probably gets unfairly looked down on for having "strong against dragon" properties but actually being slightly weak against them because of the slash damage. but it's a cool weapon and i think most weaps are decent, pretty good, or alright.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

JBP posted:

I needed a slash weapon so I'm using the ice lightning katana. It procs in three hits on nearly everything. This seems underrated because nobody ever mentions it.

Its weapon art got a big buff in 1.07, I've seen some streamers I watch say it's a bit of an unappreciated gem. I think a big reason it isn't well known is mostly down to what you get it from and where.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I used it on my blind playthrough which was a mostly pure dex character before there were any buffs and it was neat.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Frostbite is low key maybe the best possible debuff. If you are lucky enough to be able to apply it and do a big followup you can sometimes just half a boss inside like 20 seconds. I find it fun to do Dragonice into big fire into Dragonice and repeat as I absolutely pour through blue flasks. It's expensive but it just shreds things when you can keep it going.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Suburban Dad posted:

I have used all the seeds for my flasks. I have 6 total (all hp) and I think it's +2.
If you want to get a bit more out of each flask, there should be two more sacred tears in the Weeping Peninsula. The ruined churches that hold them can be seen on the map even before you visit them.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
frostbite really is the best all-around debuff, it's incredible. I mained the death's poker through most of the game and its lingering effect field proca frostbite like you wouldn't believe. I haven't tried ghost flame explosion since the buff, but now that it lasts longer, I bet it's similar.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

I mean obviously you could just use a frost dragon incantation or cast some ice sorceries or use frost pots but I like the shock and awe of ghost flame effects.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Course, there's always Frozen Lightning if you want to make that shock and awe a tad more literal.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

yeah, it comes out a lot faster and actually does damage. I was playing kind of roleplayingly and committed to int/fth and death spells as a general rule, but I cast absolutely everything for a while to try it out. the only spells I wasn't impressed by were the magma sorceries, rykard's rancor aside.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd note that if you can beat the boss of the area beyond Stormveil you unlock the ability to reassign where all your level ups went. So you're not necessarily locked into your build forever.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Ugh I think I’ve caught a disease. I finally solo beat Melania a few months ago and I’ve been missing that fight. Sun broing her just isn’t the same.

I went to NG+ and in a few hours bum rushed to the bottom of the haligtree. Crazy how fast you can skip through things if you just hit the bricks lol. It’s been true for all fromsoft games, sure, but it still felt weird doing in like three four hours what took me a hundred+ first time round.

Anyway, I can now spend happy hours almost beating Melania, making sure to die each time, and I’m going to respec into some weird new builds and see how they do vs her and sun bro as well.

I know it would ruin something in the games but I do sometimes wish from would make boss resets.

I think the Reforged mod has a thing at the roundtable hold that lets you refight most bosses. Never tried but might be worth checking out

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Suburban Dad posted:

The other one is in the Deathouched Catacombs if you want to look for it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Epic High Five posted:

The big dick knight in the Gatefront ruins is fantastic practice for the enemy type, especially since he's surrounded by mooks since that's also often the case so it's strategy training as well as combat.

edit - said knight also drops some fantastic gear if you're lucky or persistent

I’m doing reps here to figure out block timing and facing without lock-on. It is going…okay, but those spirit wolves are definitely earning their keep.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I got Ancestor Spirit down on my first try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgjaFRsnDvA

Dragonkin took me two because first attempt I did not use Torrent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PIfMP8kxYE

Smack dat booty

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 30, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man, melee is a lot harder than spell-sniping, but it’s much more satisfying when you no-sell some loser and then leave an unrecognizable corpse behind because you epéed his face to ribbons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Man, melee is a lot harder than spell-sniping, but it’s much more satisfying when you no-sell some loser and then leave an unrecognizable corpse behind because you epéed his face to ribbons.

It varies from fight to fight. Some enemies are too fast, agile, and aggressive to snipe, but are basically begging for you to let them wear themselves out against your shield and then obliterate them with guard counters.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Best thing about melee strength build is that the strength stat increases physical resistance. So much more face-tanking and laughing at danger when compared to spellcasting.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I am doing a STR+3 > Vigor+2 > End+1 Build unless I come across another weapon that requires a different stat. And so far its working out very well for me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

War Wizard posted:

Best thing about melee strength build is that the strength stat increases physical resistance. So much more face-tanking and laughing at danger when compared to spellcasting.

Speaking of strength builds, I took “heavy” when I put the ash on the epée, because it looked like it took the scaling impact of dex away and that felt like it was going to let me worry about ability spread less.

Darth Walrus posted:

It varies from fight to fight. Some enemies are too fast, agile, and aggressive to snipe, but are basically begging for you to let them wear themselves out against your shield and then obliterate them with guard counters.

I was just starting to encounter those enemies regularly when I decided to reroll, but they did suck a lot.

I need to get better at telling if a guard counter is opening up or if my attack is going to have me eating one instead. Mostly I think I need to trust my shield more and not rush, at least when I don’t have time pressure from multiple attackers. Practice, practice…

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Subjunctive posted:

Speaking of strength builds, I took “heavy” when I put the ash on the epée, because it looked like it took the scaling impact of dex away and that felt like it was going to let me worry about ability spread less.

That's what it does, there's some mild nuance to it, about which attribute is most effective for each weapon, but for the most part it's so any build can use almost any weapon.

Side note, you should have a backup weapon for dealing strike damage. The enemies that are weak to it are extremely resistant to poke and slash. I like using the fist weapon since it's super lightweight.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I want to get a better sense of weapon selection and eventually get End up so that I can carry a few while still at medium load. IIRC blunt stuff is better against heavier armour?

Is it feasible to use one weapon to break stance and switch to another to land the vulnerable hit, or is the timing too tight for that given the median input speed of ER players? I know I couldn’t do it myself at this point, but I’ve wondered.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I want to get a better sense of weapon selection and eventually get End up so that I can carry a few while still at medium load. IIRC blunt stuff is better against heavier armour?

Is it feasible to use one weapon to break stance and switch to another to land the vulnerable hit, or is the timing too tight for that given the median input speed of ER players? I know I couldn’t do it myself at this point, but I’ve wondered.

Perfectly feasible! I do something like that with a high crit multiplier dagger often. Also good way to have a 2nd useful ash of war like a buff. You can switch to it basically instantly if it's on your equipment slots, the downside is paid up front in how almost everything adds to your equip load. You can also put a spellcasting item in your left hand to switch to, it's how I toss spells out when I do in combat since I'm usually in a spot where I wouldn't be using my shield anyway. Only real risk is tripping yourself up with all the extra button presses and losing the opening/taking a big hit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Man I would feel like such a badass if I was playing like that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Should I wait to strengthen spirit summons? I am using the jellyfish and wolves currently and not sure how much of the upgrade mats I have but they don't seem plentiful.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Man I would feel like such a badass if I was playing like that.

It's a lot easier than it sounds, but yeah it feels really fuckin badass, and with like a 4x cool multiplier if the ash on the dagger is a damage booster you apply right before the critical blow. Now what really trips me up is having to swap between 2-handing and 1-handing, which usually happens accidentally and only doesn't kill me every time because it means I'm confused but two-handing a greatshield

Suburban Dad posted:

Should I wait to strengthen spirit summons? I am using the jellyfish and wolves currently and not sure how much of the upgrade mats I have but they don't seem plentiful.

The jellyfish, who has a name thank you very much, is a rock solid choice no matter what so feel free to keep that one up and use the rest on whatever seems interesting. If you're really worried about being short when you need it just always make sure you have 1 of each type. Call them up at the gatefront ruins to get a good idea of how useful they may actually be (some are quite useless but very funny, but most are quite good)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Subjunctive posted:

Strike damage is good against armor, skeletons, and anything made of rock.
Slash damage is good against anything organic and unarmored
Pierce is at least ok against almost everything and gets significant bonus damage when interrupting an enemy attack.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Anyone have a good updated npc quest walkthrough/guide? Just started NG+ and don’t wanna screw up my run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Darth Walrus posted:

Course, there's always Frozen Lightning if you want to make that shock and awe a tad more literal.

I feel like it should proc easily with multiple hits but it never seems to go off. Meanwhile frosty lightning katana goes off really fast. I'm using both as a theme of course. Plus the frozen lightning spear damage against big stuff is extremely good.