Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

ok my dwarves keep fighting corpses and dying en masse. what the hell is going on?

Edit: Ok apparently it's miasma? It keeps saying corpses are fighting my dwarves and winning.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hellioning posted:

I'm still not sure why they defaulted to 'everyone can do everything except a few things' instead of 'everyone can only do the things they are good at'. Any tips?

Jobs will automatically try to prioritize dwarves who are more skilled at them. If no one is good at a job, or no one who is skilled is available, then someone else will do it and start gaining skill. This way your useless dwarves will become skilled at something. If you don't have enough carpenters, some peasant or beekeeper or something is going to end up doing the job a bunch and become a good carpenter.

Basically if you have someone who is really good at something that matters, like say you have a legendary weaponsmith, then assign them their own workshop. Otherwise just let everyone do everything and it all pretty much sorts itself out. No more having to like, screw with assigning everyone jobs when you get a migrant wave.

If you have something you need done right away, assign some dwarves to it on the labor screen and check the box to make them red instead of green so they only do that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

I believe it's dwarves. But I think animals also work, from what I've read. I'm actually trying to test this right now, going to chain up an animal at the end of my trap corridors and lock everything else up and see if the enemies still path in next time something comes by.

Sadly, I tested and know that visitors don't work.

I seem to be luring a bunch of things in with either "a war dog on a chain" or "a bed, in a bedroom zone"

I know building destroyers like to go after furniture, maybe it's just an accessible piece of furniture?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Baronjutter posted:

Now that's a cool burial monument!

Thank yooouuu! The entire thing is made of green glass except for the stuff placed in it. Last time I looked at the tally it said they made over 1,700 glass blocks in total and EVERY glass block made was used in this thing except for like 10-15 blocks used to floor the well so no one fell in

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I seem to be luring a bunch of things in with either "a war dog on a chain" or "a bed, in a bedroom zone"

I know building destroyers like to go after furniture, maybe it's just an accessible piece of furniture?

So, I had a tavern set up with visitors in it (separated from my main fortress), and they didn't go after that at all. It had tables, chairs, and was designated as a meeting place zone. Perhaps meeting places like taverns and temples don't work. Maybe it has to be rooms that can be assigned to a single dwarf?

I'm just using a war dog on a chain right now since that does seem to work, but this is interesting just from trying to figure out the mechanics of it. I may try to do some more tests with stuff later. Like set up a bedroom, an office, a dining room, etc, all separated from each other on the map and lock and unlock the doors when the goblins are there, see what they'll path toward.

I think it's much funnier to use all these visitors as bait, so if I can get the goblins to path toward them using a room designation and then let my war dogs roam free, well that'll put a smile on my face.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 30, 2022

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Well, Baron Buttthunder, maybe we wouldn't lose half the nobility of the kingdom every time the goblins come to say hi if you dumbasses would GO HOME AND GOVERN instead of clogging up my tavern!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any idea why the entire surface around my fort entry is flooded with an ever-expanding pool of spider venom? I can't even imagine how much venom that would need to be. no spiders in sight.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My trade depot just got filled with like 50 piles of feather tree egg yolks when an elf caravan came by. But they don't belong to elves and I can't trade for them or haul them away. Anyone know what gives? There are feather trees on the map, but I've never seen their eggs do anything like this before.

Baronjutter posted:

Any idea why the entire surface around my fort entry is flooded with an ever-expanding pool of spider venom? I can't even imagine how much venom that would need to be. no spiders in sight.

Are you on an evil biome? It might rain spider venom. Probably not but that's my best guess.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

It's possible you embarked on some sort of Evil biome, they can have inexplicable rains of stuff like blood and slime and such, rains of venom wouldn't be out of the question. Count yourself lucky it isn't something that melts peoples' skin off on contact I guess?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

A troll snuck into my fort and attacked a lone child while all my squads were upstairs, seeing off a goblin siege.

The child just punched it to death.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, so a tower near my current fort is rumored to have This, which If I'm not mistaken is one of the slabs used to bind demons to the mortal world. If I manage to get hold of this somehow, is there something I can use it for?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, so a tower near my current fort is rumored to have This, which If I'm not mistaken is one of the slabs used to bind demons to the mortal world. If I manage to get hold of this somehow, is there something I can use it for?

I have no idea, but it seems like something you should claim and see what fun it might bring

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StarkRavingMad posted:

I have no idea, but it seems like something you should claim and see what fun it might bring

Any idea what the best way to get it would be? I've sent probably six or seven raids now, even pillaged it once, which I think killed the resident necromancer and all his minions.
If I conquer and occupy, can I demand them hand it over to me?

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

The Velvet Witch posted:

Thanks to whichever one of you had the idea for floor rooms lmao this is great, WE built this huge glass pyramid with that floorplan in mind! They kept it together long enough to cap it with a statue of the day we founded the place too

This is awesome and I love it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Where are the green glass coffins

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Bad Munki posted:

New embark: completely flat except for one little 10x20 1-z-level mound mid right. Brook along the entire north third. Volcano dead center at the south third, right at ground level. Caverns down 10 levels, then another 5, then another 10. Plenty of precious metals, and iron and coal. No aquifer I’ve seen.

This is gonna be hawt. Welcome to Ballslapped, strike the earth!

Imagining a Kruggsmash title card of 7 pantsless dwarves, in silhouette against a scenic vista, tea-bagging a patch of rocky dirt to claim the site as their new outpost.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Azhais posted:

Is there any good way to force your broker to go to the goddamn trade depot? I've missed three caravans now because my broker listened to poetry for an entire season without break

I've gotten a couple of trades in because I apparently caught him in between poetry slams, but this is getting extremely irritating. I've even got him burrowed into a space that only includes the drat depot but that doesn't stop him

Try the button under that, "Anyone Trade at Depot". It'll find anyone with Appraisal who isn't preoccupied and send them to it. They might be a little worse at it but you sound like the trading ratio isn't your problem.

Then you sack your broker's beatnik rear end and replace him with whoever showed up.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i replaced my broker and now it seems nothing in my fort has an exact value. sometimes the guild hall is worth 8000. sometimes its worth 2750. sometimes it's worth "maybe 5000"
originally i assumed her getting her bones turned into wet gravel by a kid had made her unable to do her job properly but even after i replaced her with someone else its still the case

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

My trade depot just got filled with like 50 piles of feather tree egg yolks when an elf caravan came by. But they don't belong to elves and I can't trade for them or haul them away. Anyone know what gives? There are feather trees on the map, but I've never seen their eggs do anything like this before.

I've had this happen with elven caravans a lot, they always leave behind tons of goods that weren't available in their trade menu. Animals, fruits, grown-wood crafts, etc. I've been assuming it was the tribute I demanded from them. Usually I can haul it all though.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

with how detailed the simulation of each individual person is i honestly wouldnt be too surprised if it turned out they gained at least some form of sentience at some point

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Azhais posted:

Is there any good way to force your broker to go to the goddamn trade depot? I've missed three caravans now because my broker listened to poetry for an entire season without break

I've gotten a couple of trades in because I apparently caught him in between poetry slams, but this is getting extremely irritating. I've even got him burrowed into a space that only includes the drat depot but that doesn't stop him

Is your broker the same person as your Expedition Leader/Baron/etc? I have seen issues with them getting stuck between the diplomacy meeting and the trade depot but I stopped having issues once I started making sure my broker and leader aren't the same person.

Edit: Purely speculation but I think the issue was that a leader/broker prioritizes the diplomacy meeting over trading, but they prioritize pretty much every other possible activity over the diplomacy meeting, which led to them not going to either one.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

hbag posted:

i replaced my broker and now it seems nothing in my fort has an exact value. sometimes the guild hall is worth 8000. sometimes its worth 2750. sometimes it's worth "maybe 5000"
originally i assumed her getting her bones turned into wet gravel by a kid had made her unable to do her job properly but even after i replaced her with someone else its still the case

You need someone with good appraisal skill. If your broker is crap at it, they'll get better. If your broker is good at it but you just appointed them, it's possible they just haven't like, done an accounting yet.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My rendition of this war War Owl:

e: Well that was a lot of effort for nothin'

RIP War War Owl. I'm sorry for settling in an evil forest with miasma that turns everything into wicked murk thralls, friend :(

I'd really like to play this game in evil biomes but it sucks trying to keep everyone indoors 24/7.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 30, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
death tube ended up working just fine

bad news is apparently all that did was open up more spawn slots for more poo poo to immediately spawn in anyways, so I just called it a win and disabled cavern spawns and immediately bounced back up to 15-20fps...from 5

i forgot what it was like to have people actually moving around the screen

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Velvet Witch posted:

Thanks to whichever one of you had the idea for floor rooms lmao this is great, WE built this huge glass pyramid with that floorplan in mind! They kept it together long enough to cap it with a statue of the day we founded the place too

yo this is sick

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The Velvet Witch posted:

How do you build structures like this outside when you can't build stairs up into empty space?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

johnny park posted:

How do you build structures like this outside when you can't build stairs up into empty space?

crafted ramps, which you can remove later

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

johnny park posted:

You can construct stairs up into empty space, you just can't dig them upward, and you can't construct them up into an occupied space (like a higher underground layer). Constructing them up into empty air works though

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 30, 2022

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
what does ticking boxes in "nobody does this" actually do? i would love for it to be "this person does NOT plant" but that seems.... too convenient

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Haha I was very curious what would happen here

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StarkRavingMad posted:

So, I had a tavern set up with visitors in it (separated from my main fortress), and they didn't go after that at all. It had tables, chairs, and was designated as a meeting place zone. Perhaps meeting places like taverns and temples don't work. Maybe it has to be rooms that can be assigned to a single dwarf?

I'm just using a war dog on a chain right now since that does seem to work, but this is interesting just from trying to figure out the mechanics of it. I may try to do some more tests with stuff later. Like set up a bedroom, an office, a dining room, etc, all separated from each other on the map and lock and unlock the doors when the goblins are there, see what they'll path toward.

I think it's much funnier to use all these visitors as bait, so if I can get the goblins to path toward them using a room designation and then let my war dogs roam free, well that'll put a smile on my face.

I just got a goblin siege and tried to test this. Well, first they ran around and slaughtered an idiot dwarven child who was topside somehow. But after THAT...

I tried designating an office they could reach. No movement. Tried assigning the office to someone. No movement. Tried designating a bedroom they could reach. No movement. Assigned the bedroom to someone. No movement. Tried opening the gate to my chained war dog. No movement. Unlocked the door that led to the rest of my fortress. Immediate beeline for the entrance.

This is only one instance and enemy AI can be kind of weird, but these only moved when they actually had a path to one of my dwarves.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

mst4k posted:

Haha I was very curious what would happen here

In adventure mode you could use the information from these to force one of the unique demons in the world to serve you, I wonder if something similar would be possible in fortress mode.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just got a goblin siege and tried to test this. Well, first they ran around and slaughtered an idiot dwarven child who was topside somehow. But after THAT...

I tried designating an office they could reach. No movement. Tried assigning the office to someone. No movement. Tried designating a bedroom they could reach. No movement. Assigned the bedroom to someone. No movement. Tried opening the gate to my chained war dog. No movement. Unlocked the door that led to the rest of my fortress. Immediate beeline for the entrance.

This is only one instance and enemy AI can be kind of weird, but these only moved when they actually had a path to one of my dwarves.

Did your bedroom designation actually have a bed in it, or just a zone?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Did your bedroom designation actually have a bed in it, or just a zone?

Yup, had a bed. Office had a table and chair, so did the dining hall.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

In adventure mode you could use the information from these to force one of the unique demons in the world to serve you, I wonder if something similar would be possible in fortress mode.

Maybe something will happen if you assign it as a Symbol of Office to some noble or other to ensure they carry the thing around? Make sure it's a noble you trust, just in case

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's easy to see why Forgotten Beasts were forgotten. Unless they shoot webs they're pretty forgettable!!!

speaking of which, I just had my first web-spitting forgotten beast show up

and, it turns out, I had also accidentally left a corner entrance to my fort, so there was a way in other from the cave other than the single lockable door

the dwarves put up a good fight (the tavern keeper of all people blinded it with a pick) but 80% of them died within 60 seconds and the rest died one by one over the next few minutes

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Jinnigan posted:

what does ticking boxes in "nobody does this" actually do?

it... stops anyone from doing that job. what else would it do? :confused:

e: oh wait you mean you can tick individual dwarves in that mode? yeah that is weird

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yup, had a bed. Office had a table and chair, so did the dining hall.

Bizarre. The full layout of my tube was

- Forbidden door
- Drawbridge
- A couple of cage traps
- A forbidden hatch at the top of a stairway
- Drawbridge
- Several hundred squares of plain floor/stairways
- A chained tame war dog
- A bed with an unassigned bed zone
and a branching path of one forbidden door and one empty-space Z level upwards into a pump with no diagonal access to the rest of the fort

As soon as the first door was unforbidden, things started to clown car in, so it was either
- the bed
- the dog
- their pathfinding didn't "recognize" the later door as forbidden right away, possibly because of the distance?
- the pump "looked" like a viable access point to the dwarf I had parked nearby to pump it

:iiam:

I think I have a pre-pump autosave, I might play with it and see if removing/changing some features still makes them pile in, it may also be an ai difference between underground invaders and above ground sieges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Bizarre. The full layout of my tube was

- Forbidden door
- Drawbridge
- A couple of cage traps
- A forbidden hatch at the top of a stairway
- Drawbridge
- Several hundred squares of plain floor/stairways
- A chained tame war dog
- A bed with an unassigned bed zone
and a branching path of one forbidden door and one empty-space Z level upwards into a pump with no diagonal access to the rest of the fort

As soon as the first door was unforbidden, things started to clown car in, so it was either
- the bed
- the dog
- their pathfinding didn't "recognize" the later door as forbidden right away, possibly because of the distance?
- the pump "looked" like a viable access point to the dwarf I had parked nearby to pump it

:iiam:

I think I have a pre-pump autosave, I might play with it and see if removing/changing some features still makes them pile in, it may also be an ai difference between underground invaders and above ground sieges

They seem to recognize forbidden from like, across the map. My guess would be the pump, maybe, they thought they could get up there somehow? Would be interested in your result without that, or with it walled off.