Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I, John Q. Businessman, own 1000 shares of Tesla, worth $400 per share. I'd like to have some of that money in cash so I can pay off some bills or something. However, I don't want to sell my stock, because I don't want to risk missing out on Tesla becoming $800 a share any day now.

So I take out a loan against my stock. My broker doesn't sell 100 (say) shares of stock; instead, give me a loan, $40,000, to be paid back at some specified time, and backed by the stock. If I am right, and Tesla hits $800/share, I now sell only 50 shares of stock, get back the $40,000, pay the broker back, and my net worth has gone up a lot based on the 900 shares I never sold, plus the 50 that I avoided selling by taking out a loan against my stock. The broker has, of course, taken a cut on all of this.

However. Same process exactly, but Tesla falls to $100. I still owe my broker $40,000, but the stock I borrowed against is now worth $10,000. The broker isn't happy, and is going to force me to somehow cough up the extra $30,000. Some time during the fall of the stock, say $200/share, my broker issues me a "margin call": "you owe us $40,000, but the collateral you borrowed against is only worth $20,000. Pay us the cash in full, or sell your stock to make up for it." I have to scramble to come up with the cash elsewhere, or I have to sell 200 more shares of stock right drat now in order to pay back the broker.

Now imagine that this is all happening with millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of shares. If Elon took out a personal margin loan against Tesla at $400, that would force him to sell a lot of shares at $110 to fulfill his contract with the broker. That's a margin call. We know that a margin loan wasn't part of the official merger financing. We don't know whether Elon came up with some of his cash by borrowing against the stock.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Thanks a bunch folks! Especially Arsenic Lupin for the worked example, that helped a lot! :)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I, John Q. Businessman, own 1000 shares of Tesla, worth $400 per share. I'd like to have some of that money in cash so I can pay off some bills or something. However, I don't want to sell my stock, because I don't want to risk missing out on Tesla becoming $800 a share any day now.

Small addition/correction: this is very often used as a tax deferral technique. As in, if they sold the shares they would owe tax, but through the right estate planning their heirs will get a stepped up tax basis and poof! no tax owed.

It's literally cheaper to pass on the loan/liability to their heirs so they can sell shares tax free to pay it off.

This is increasingly being called "buy, borrow and die" and it's a very good tax strategy if you have the means.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Thanks a bunch folks! Especially Arsenic Lupin for the worked example, that helped a lot! :)
Math is hard, and I had to edit three times; I hope the final version is accurate.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So I take out a loan against my stock. My broker doesn't sell 100 (say) shares of stock; instead, give me a loan, $40,000, to be paid back at some specified time, and backed by the stock. If I am right, and Tesla hits $800/share, I now sell only 50 shares of stock, get back the $40,000, pay the broker back, and my net worth has gone up a lot based on the 900 shares I never sold, plus the 50 that I avoided selling by taking out a loan against my stock. The broker has, of course, taken a cut on all of this.

Excuse me, when your shares go up, you take out another loan against your stocks to cover the previous loan and raise new cash. If you're rich, you never cover a debt that you can roll over, because banks are strangely happy to give you good terms on loans.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Math is hard, and I had to edit three times; I hope the final version is accurate.

Really appreciate the effort!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What does "being margin called" mean? I didn't quite manage to make sense of it.

Musk might be a multi-billionaire, but most of that wealth is in assets (mainly Tesla stock), not cash. He can't actually spend most of that, and there's practical difficulties involved in just selling it

In situations like that, a common way to turn those high-value assets into spendable money is to take a loan, using your assets as collateral. But when a volatile asset like stock is used as collateral, banks will attach some extra conditions to insulate themselves from risk.

One of those conditions is that if the value of the collateral drops below a certain point, the bank can call you up and demand more collateral. This is a margin call. If you don't hand over more money, either in assets or cash, the lender can seize the collateral you've already provided and start selling it off.

Margin calls tend to be substantially inconvenient. There's no good time for a bank to call you up and demand more money, but a particularly bad time to get that call is when you don't have a lot of liquid cash and the value of your assets has massively dropped.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm sure Elon will be fine, but in the meantime I will laugh at him.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Anno posted:

The lender can demand to be paid back in part or force the lendee to put up additional collateral due to the drop in value of the collateral already placed. If the lendee doesn't then the lender may force a sale of the placed collateral to repay their loan.

Aren't CEOs generally restricted from just selling stock w/o declaring it well in advance? How does this interact?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Margin calls tend to be substantially inconvenient. There's no good time for a bank to call you up and demand more money, but a particularly bad time to get that call is when you don't have a lot of liquid cash and the value of your assets has massively dropped.
Yup. And selling enough Tesla to pay his debts is going to move the market. Stock analysts notice when a million shares are sold in a small time frame. The supply of the stock has just gotten higher, so the price falls. The stock analysts think "Hmm, if his bank doesn't believe the value of his holdings, then I don't either." And sell their own shares, and advise customers to do the same, and the price keeps falling because there are more sellers than buyers.

I just looked it up, and during August 5-9 2022, Musk sold "7.92 million shares of the electric vehicle manufacturer worth about $6.88 billion". That's going to depress the value of everybody else's shares.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Apparently 267 million of his 423 million Tesla shares are collateral for margin loans

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Clarste posted:

I'm sure Elon will be fine, but in the meantime I will laugh at him.

"Fine" in the financial sense. But not fine at all because all he wants is to be the most special boy in the world and that has all come crashing down in a way the even he can't ignore anymore.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I've said it before in this thread, but when Musk's net worth surpassed Jeff Bezos's, Musk sent Bezos a trophy labelled "#2". He has a lot of self-worth tied up in "the richest man in the world".

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

OddObserver posted:

Aren't CEOs generally restricted from just selling stock w/o declaring it well in advance? How does this interact?

IANAL, but my understanding has always been that you don’t have to declare it in advance of selling stock, just shortly after. Like a day or two. I think people tend to declare it ahead of time, often on some kind of schedule, so as not to spook stock holders that they suddenly dumped a bunch of stock, like Elon recently did.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Reporting laws vary and I don't remember how they work. You do have to file in advance for any mass sale of stock as the CEO.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kwyndig posted:

Reporting laws vary and I don't remember how they work. You do have to file in advance for any mass sale of stock as the CEO.

Maybe over certain dollar/% values? Idk. But when Elon last sold TSLA it was certainly reported as retrospective news. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/12/15/elon-musk-sells-another-huge-chunk-of-tesla-shares-.html

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've said it before in this thread, but when Musk's net worth surpassed Jeff Bezos's, Musk sent Bezos a trophy labelled "#2". He has a lot of self-worth tied up in "the richest man in the world".

It is shocking just what a fragile, insecure little wuss Musk is. Imagine how much better things would be for everyone involved if he'd found some way to realize inner inner self confidence and worth in a healthy way at literally any point in his life to date.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

https://www.sec.gov/files/forms-3-4-5.pdf

This isn't a mystery. It's all well documented. In the entire united states you are looking at form 4 requirements for this current topic of conversation.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

They are both poorer than Putin, anyway, who owns an entire country (though Putin may have some ...difficulties... spending money these days).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

OddObserver posted:

CEOs can set up a plan which only gives them the ability to sell predetermined amounts of stock at predetermined times. These plans have to be set up well in advance.

CEOs don't have to do this, but many do anyway because it provides some level of cover against insider trading allegations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Bezos should mail it back, or maybe mail back an actual good metal trophy and not just a pos plastic one with a metallic silver paint finish because Musky is tooo cheap to commission a quality item.

like look at his red demon leather halloween outfit.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Who actually is the broker in Musk/Twitter case? Goldman Sachs or such?

nachos posted:

Apparently 267 million of his 423 million Tesla shares are collateral for margin loans

Does anything determine how much stock/shares a company can offer, or can a company have theoretically infinite stock?

423 million shares seems like a lot. Then again, Amazon probably has way more

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

A company can issue as much stock as it wants. The only limit is how much the public is willing to buy. There's a practical limit though.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Surely there may be practical issues if your share costs less than a cent?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

OddObserver posted:

Surely there may be practical issues if your share costs less than a cent?

If a stock gets that low it could be involuntarily delisted, which happens regularly with penny stocks. There are a few steps before something like that would happen though.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

PhazonLink posted:

Bezos should mail it back, or maybe mail back an actual good metal trophy and not just a pos plastic one with a metallic silver paint finish because Musky is tooo cheap to commission a quality item.
Bezos did not get where he is by giving stuff back.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Actually, Amazon got a great rep early on by having a very generous return policy. It’s only in recent years that they started winding it back.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Amazon nowadays unless it's a $50< item your refund will take months normally lol

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

However. Same process exactly, but Tesla falls to $100. I still owe my broker $40,000, but the stock I borrowed against is now worth $10,000. The broker isn't happy, and is going to force me to somehow cough up the extra $30,000. Some time during the fall of the stock, say $200/share, my broker issues me a "margin call": "you owe us $40,000, but the collateral you borrowed against is only worth $20,000. Pay us the cash in full, or sell your stock to make up for it." I have to scramble to come up with the cash elsewhere, or I have to sell 200 more shares of stock right drat now in order to pay back the broker.
Numberswise, margin loans are by design structured to make it very hard to ever end up in a situation where the collateral is worth less than the loan, because then the lender might lose money.

The collateral value is normally much bigger than the loan amount. If the collateral value starts dropping and getting closer to the loan value, the margin call is "Immediately give us more collateral/pay off loan principle, or we're seizing and selling enough of your existing collateral to pay down the loan and get the loan:collateral ratio back down". The triggering ratio is much smaller than 1:1 so that even if the collateral keeps dropping during that process or the sale crashes it further, the lender is still likely to get paid in full.

For Musk, it's a $12.5 billion loan secured with a pile of Tesla stock that was originally worth $62.5 billion (20:100). When the stock value dropped enough to the ratio 35:100 (the same pile is now worth only ~$35.7 billion), he has to either add more shares to the pile or pay down the loan debt to get it back to 25:100, or the bank will seize shares from the pile, sell them, and use that to pay down the loan themselves. He doesn't actually have to sell stock, he can just commit additional shares to the collateral (until he runs out of other valuable stuff to offer)

For an ordinary person analogy, it's like taking out a home equity loan. The bank will foreclose on the house long before the loan is actually underwater.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

[cool stuff]
For Musk, it's a $12.5 billion loan secured with a pile of Tesla stock that was originally worth $62.5 billion (20:100). When the stock value dropped enough to the ratio 35:100 (the same pile is now worth only ~$35.7 billion), he has to either add more shares to the pile or pay down the loan debt to get it back to 25:100, or the bank will seize shares from the pile, sell them, and use that to pay down the loan themselves. He doesn't actually have to sell stock, he can just commit additional shares to the collateral (until he runs out of other valuable stuff to offer)
Is the amount public information? I thought that since it wasn't part of the Twitter financing, the amount of the loan would be unknown.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I just took the numbers from the article posted earlier. The $12.5 billion I've read other places too

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Celexi posted:

Amazon nowadays unless it's a $50< item your refund will take months normally lol

Nahh, it takes AMEX longer to process the refund than it takes to convince Amazon to issue it. I've done it for quality issues and returned the items, and they take me at my word when I say something never showed up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Motronic posted:

Small addition/correction: this is very often used as a tax deferral technique. As in, if they sold the shares they would owe tax, but through the right estate planning their heirs will get a stepped up tax basis and poof! no tax owed.

It's literally cheaper to pass on the loan/liability to their heirs so they can sell shares tax free to pay it off.

This is increasingly being called "buy, borrow and die" and it's a very good tax strategy if you have the means.

Wish it could be changed to just die.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Volmarias posted:

Funny thing about that idea is that banking comes with a LOT of regulation and scrutiny. Seeing as how they seem to be YOLOing the existing consent decree, I could see that one actually causing direct, personal damage to Musk since the "gently caress around" was clearly acknowledged as being past.

If you want an idea of what any sort of Twitter Banking would end up like, look at the Paypal credit card Musk pushed back during his brief tenure there.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

mllaneza posted:

Nahh, it takes AMEX longer to process the refund than it takes to convince Amazon to issue it. I've done it for quality issues and returned the items, and they take me at my word when I say something never showed up.

There's an entire sub-industry based around buying Amazon returns in bulk and reselling them, with the assumption that some amount of the stuff is functional. I've personally gotten a load of moderately expensive, useful stuff at fractions of retail doing this, and none of it would be possible if Amazon didn't rubber stamp pretty much anything anyone tried to return.

The stores that sell these things are full of boxes of obviously heavily used car parts, electronics, appliances, etc. People just buy a replacement for a broken thing, then return the broken one to Amazon. Nobody cares.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've recently started receiving a big wave of spam on primary email address and have no idea what triggered it. I use burner email accounts for online ordering and poo poo and haven't signed up for anything new that might get me on a list. Is there any kind of blanket approach I could take or some sort of Do Not Mail list similar to the do not call list?

Ideas what triggered this?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

BiggerBoat posted:

Ideas what triggered this?
Holidays always see an uptick in marketing emails as companies are willing to burn their engagement rates in hopes of an extra few conversions through volume, which raises the baseline of nonsense.

With that said, check your primary on haveibeenpwned (and set up notifications) if you haven't yet. Your email may have been in a breach. I've certainly noticed an uptick in illegitimate cruft when leaked datasets go publicish.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Have any email addresses not been pwned at this point? If you've used the internet on any regular basis in the past 10 years I think you'd have been a part of at least 5-10 major breeches.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

feedmyleg posted:

Have any email addresses not been pwned at this point? If you've used the internet on any regular basis in the past 10 years I think you'd have been a part of at least 5-10 major breeches.

I've never had much trouble with my primary one unless I'm job hunting and, even then, that's usually recruiters and MLM peddlers.

I swear to god, is there anything on this earth that hasn't been or is incapable of being ruined by aggressive garbage advertising? Traditional mail, websites, email, TV, Youtube...texting is brushing up against it. I could argue Tech has only made this poo poo worse. AS was pointed out, if you participate in society and commerce to any degree whatsoever, it's almost impossible to avoid being inundated with targeted ads.

For years, I attempted to limit commercial and professional interactions online or giving my phone number to too many people but eventually I was forced to cave because you essentially can't do ANYTHING without surrendering this information.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

similarly, have any major sites not been breached? amazon is the only one that comes to mind. i guess banks haven't been for the most part?