Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just once I want to see a bunch of new posts ITT and it be due to a big offensive or a massacre or a bridge blowing up but no, people just keep touching the poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

Oil that Iraq primarily sells to China.

In what currency does China presently buy OPEC oil

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

was Iraq selling this oil to China under occupation?

Do you mean the "occupation" in the sense of a bunch of combat troops in Iraq (not like the ~2,500 or whatever in country now) or do you mean occupation like the 14 months of the CPA?

If the former, the war put a lot of investment on hold and exports obviously dropped very, very low on account of the war. It also pushed China to diversify. But by 2006, China was back in the game in a very serious way and steadily and rapidly increased exports every year for years until Iraq was in their top 5 or 6 oil trade partners.

If the latter, oil production and export was generally a shitshow and decidedly a small quantity during that time period compared to pre-war and even a couple years post-invasion.

In spite of all that, I would characterize the coalition (US, UK, Australia, Poland) invasion of Iraq in 2003 as an imperialist action engineered principally by the US.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Just once I want to see a bunch of new posts ITT and it be due to a big offensive or a massacre or a bridge blowing up but no, people just keep touching the poo

Not my fault, but look at the bright side it keeps the thread at the top of cspam

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Dec 30, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

But going by Best Friends' definition of resource extraction to the core, in contrast with Russia annexing resource-rich regions? The US didn't annex anything and barely rates as a trade partner with Iraq.

Love to engage in Iraq War apologia

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah that's 100% what I was doing. jfc, are you stuck in either or mode? I am not saying US good Russia bad. I'm saying that both the US and Russia do lovely, very bad things. Those include exploiting others, regime changes, invading other countries, etc.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

There are still libs out there that like to pretend that the only type of imperialism out there is changing borders on a map. Looting a puppet state can't be doing imperialism because huh...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

There are still libs out there that like to pretend that the only type of imperialism out there is changing borders on a map. I wonder why...

Those guys sound dumb, if they think that the only way to be imperialistic is to annex territory.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

yeah that's 100% what I was doing

https://youtube.com/watch?v=d24ZpzoZkQE&feature=shares

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Oh well. Another day another post. I still agree with the OP, personally.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Not my fault, but look at the bright side it keeps the thread at the top of cspam

You've been good and I respect your restraint, other people clearly have less willpower

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think war is bad personally, but it does lead to cool flight sim games

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
my little pony man is a state funded actor and thats why hes so funny, hadndsome and good at posting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

yeah that's 100% what I was doing. jfc, are you stuck in either or mode? I am not saying US good Russia bad. I'm saying that both the US and Russia do lovely, very bad things. Those include exploiting others, regime changes, invading other countries, etc.

distinguishing the US's actions from Russia's on the basis that the US did not annex anything and didn't make Iraq into a trade partner is not, in my opinion, "saying that the US [does] lovely, very bad things"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

distinguishing the US's actions from Russia's on the basis that the US did not annex anything and didn't make Iraq into a trade partner is not, in my opinion, "saying that the US [does] lovely, very bad things"

I’m not sure you could have taken the whole conversation with Best Friends more out of context if you tried.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardennes posted:

There are still libs out there that like to pretend that the only type of imperialism out there is changing borders on a map. Looting a puppet state can't be doing imperialism because huh...

because setting up economic relationships that say, impoverish and kill billions of people in India to pump all that wealth back to britain is a good, free fair market. same with the US and south korea or japan or setting up the shah- those are all doubleplus good freedom things.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

iCe-CuBe. posted:

my little pony man is a state funded actor and thats why hes so funny, hadndsome and good at posting.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

the US empire is one of coups, killing anyone who tries to protect their nations’ wealth, and maximizing return in investment. it’s a little more subtle than setting up a Raj in India, provides plausible deniability for western imperialism even though it butchers millions to keep “free trade” going.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don’t know how it is going to fare in an something that isn’t a police action, where the enemy has the ability to sustainably fight back. As apart of a conventional conflict, it is going to face a lot of threats design to easily aimed at taking it out.

They could use them as battle taxis but it seems pretty inefficient.

you could say the same of the bmp2 or the vast majority of other ifvs in the world. ifvs in general face a lot of threats designed to easily take them out.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Endman posted:

I think war is bad personally, but it does lead to cool flight sim games

Eh. I enjoy watching people playing DCS but it doesn't make me want to learn what "Jamming the WEZ" means, y'know?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

AnimeIsTrash posted:

what makes it imperialist

it depends on one's theory of imperialism, but this war fits fairly neatly into the theory of national conflict sketched out by fin-de-siecle communist thinkers, but they didn't really subscribe to a theory of imperialism by which this war is obviously imperialist. this is much closer to something like the franco-prussian war imo.

if one thinks that all wars motivated by great power interests are imperialist in nature, it makes sense to call this an imperialist invasion - something close to this line was adopted by maoist and eurocommunist critics of the soviet union, leading to the development of the doctrine of social imperialism. one obvious criticism of this use of the term is that it removes an awful lot of explanatory power in favour of a moralised reading of history, but it's coherent and a fair amount of people use it in this way.

V. Illych L. has issued a correction as of 04:10 on Dec 30, 2022

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
Listen here bud, ever since WW2 there is a singular empire, the consortium of western europe captained by the US of which NATO is the umbrella organization, it exists to uphold white supremacy and do the work of colonial european empires of old, just dumping the wealth of the world into the unified western financial system instead of competing decrepit european monarchies.

Ukraine has been positioning itself as the easternmost land bulwark of the empire since the fascist putsch of 2014 (euromaidan), persecuting their eastern minorities in an ethnic cleansing project to fit into western nazifascist barbarism, hence Russia invading and denazifying Ukraine is anti-imperialist.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bagual posted:

hence Russia invading and denazifying Ukraine is anti-imperialist.

Hmmm, I disagree. I think the invasion is imperialist, instead. There can be more than one imperial power on Earth.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm generally uncomfortable with the idea that something is objectively progressive if it is done contrary to the hegemonic capitalist-imperialist tendency. a system can have many critiques; not all will be fruitful. faced with collapse, capitalism can become something better - or it can decide that it suits brown better and start exterminating Enemies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"anti", opposed to, against

That the power perpetrating the act may or may not be an imperial power itself has no bearing on acting against an imperial power in turn

Ergo, anti-imperialist

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

mlmp08 posted:

Hmmm, I disagree. I think the invasion is imperialist, instead. There can be more than one imperial power on Earth.

No, you're wrong, the collective west holds an economic iron boot to the throat of the world in the form of the petrodollar and kills anyone who goes against it with extreme prejudice. The west is racist, fascist, and their policies kill by hunger and need manyfold any number of victims of armed conflict.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
critical support to comrade Trajan in his anti-imperialist war against the Parthian Empire

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some people think there’s only one imperial power. I think there are more than one.

That’s okay, being in favor of Russian imperialist actions is unpopular, but allowed.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

for instance, ww2 japan was not progressive despite being firmly against the dominant imperialist powers of the day. a lot of japanese war museums attempt to pretend that they were, but this is imo wrong.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

mlmp08 posted:

Some people think there’s only one imperial power. I think there are more than one.

That’s okay, being in favor of Russian imperialist actions is unpopular, but allowed.

Some people are wrong, like you, and some people are right, like me.

You got nothing to say except equating statements as equivalent opinions because you're a decorum brained pudgy gringo, and i see right through you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bagual posted:

Some people are wrong, like you, and some people are right, like me.

You got nothing to say except equating statements as equivalent opinions because you're a decorum brained pudgy gringo, and i see right through you.

I believe more than one power can have imperialist ambitions and tactics. If your feeling is that invading Ukraine is a justified anti-imperialism act, go for it.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

using the outcomes of the iraq war as an argument here is bad, wars dont become less imperialist just because you lost

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

for instance, ww2 japan was not progressive despite being firmly against the dominant imperialist powers of the day. a lot of japanese war museums attempt to pretend that they were, but this is imo wrong.

Critical support to the Anti-Imperial Japanese Navy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Megamissen posted:

using the outcomes of the iraq war as an argument here is bad, wars dont become less imperialist just because you lost

As I’ve said repeatedly, I think the invasion of Iraq was decidedly imperialist.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Subhas Chandra Bose 🫡

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

mlmp08 posted:

I believe more than one power can have imperialist ambitions and tactics. If your feeling is that invading Ukraine is a justified anti-imperialism act, go for it.

You're just throwing words around because you're intellectually delinquent, it's not my feeling, it's a statement of fact based on study and political militancy, we're not the same.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
“breaking up a smaller poorer single-nation ‘empire’ to momentarily slake the thirst of a much larger, more powerful and more bloodthirsty empire is praxis, folx”

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

paul_soccer12 posted:

Critical support to the Anti-Imperial Japanese Navy

”the greater East Asia co prosperity sphere is real” I assure myself as I close my eyes and ram the flat top with my lovely air plane

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

I don't think Russia is maintaining a racialized colonial empire on the scale of early 20th century Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

anyways this is getting boring, we can’t do it anymore but if you want to laugh check out EasilyConfuseds probe in the lc