Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Salt Fish posted:

Thats too good to be true I don't believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Salt Fish posted:

Thats too good to be true I don't believe it.

A person that's been in a coma for 5 months does not just walk right out of the hospital when they get up.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/dec/29/unsellable-worthless-nfts-tax-write-off

Turning NFTs into tax write offs

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is pretty much the entire philosophy of business these days. I've worked for several tech startups (mostly not fintech, with one exception) that are now quite large, generally around communications and marketing roles, and I couldn't tell you the number of times I've heard the implication that the actual value of the product doesn't affect price tags or revenue, only the "perceived value" (which is specifically an arbitrary qualitative evaluation implanted in the audience's head by the marketing department, rather than anything related to actual value)

It literally does not matter how good your product is, all that matters is how good you make people think it is. Same deal with how "luxury brands" are usually the same thing as the cheap brands but they jack the prices up and say "only rich people can afford us, lol" and it makes people want their products because they perceive them as being of higher value. Or how if you put an actor in a lab coat in your commercial, everyone will just kind of assume everything they say is factual and science-backed.

e: One of my clients when I was doing e-commerce consulting was literally just importing cheap sunglasses and accessories from China and selling them at a 10-20x markup because they had a 'luxurious' logo with a diamond on it printed on the side and they were making money hand over fist :psyduck: This is what 90% of new online-only "brands" are.

This really is an amazing and appropriate allegory for a lot of startups. See: Juicero.

Late stage capitalism is an amazing poo poo show.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

MEIN RAVEN posted:

This really is an amazing and appropriate allegory for a lot of startups. See: Juicero.

Late stage capitalism is an amazing poo poo show.

Boeing stock kept going up during the height of the pandemic when orders were being delayed, production lines closed and expected new plane introductions/announcements didn't happen. The 737 max was and is still not shipping and the rate increase on the 787 has been delayed with no end in sight. The stock should be at zero, but it's Boeing, so people buy the stock just because of that.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

There Bias Two posted:

A person that's been in a coma for 5 months does not just walk right out of the hospital when they get up.

Yeah even if they are mentally intact, you’re talking about some significant muscle wasting. They’re going to need physical therapy, probably a stay in acute rehab vs skilled nursing facility.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Are you saying Wolfenstein isn't an accurate depiction of medical care?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Lazyfire posted:

Boeing stock kept going up during the height of the pandemic when orders were being delayed, production lines closed and expected new plane introductions/announcements didn't happen. The 737 max was and is still not shipping and the rate increase on the 787 has been delayed with no end in sight. The stock should be at zero, but it's Boeing, so people buy the stock just because of that.

"I drink Coca Cola, so I'll buy some Coke stock!"

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

I would say the only difference is that anyone over the age of 20 who has more than two brain cells to rub together understands that, no matter what, the government will bail out airlines and aeronautics manufacturers whenever they make too many bad decisions.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
SBF used $100 million in customer funds to buy Dave.

And another $100 mil in some other crypto thing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/28/ftx-used-200-million-of-customer-funds-for-two-venture-investments.html

Best part of the article is Dave insisting they have no obligation to pay the stolen money back. Good luck with that, Dave.

quote:

“The note issued to FTX is due for repayment in March 2026,” the company said in a statement. “No terms contained in the note trigger any current obligation by Dave to repay prior to the maturity date.”

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Lazyfire posted:

As was pointed out a large part of Boeing is their government side. The commercial side of Boeing will also be supported by the government for strategic reasons. The US doesn't want to have to depend on Airbus or other foreign manufacturers of commercial airlines

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

It seems the trick is to be the one "minting" and selling the poo poo coins in the first place. That's where the money ends up

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Time flies when you’re slurping apes…

https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1608533384254590977

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Oscar Wild posted:

As was pointed out a large part of Boeing is their government side. The commercial side of Boeing will also be supported by the government for strategic reasons. The US doesn't want to have to depend on Airbus or other foreign manufacturers of commercial airlines

Boeing's commercial sales and upgrades are the vast majority of their income. They have almost no in-house designed military programs, most of their programs came from buying McConnell Douglas. You can see them go from profitable to unprofitable as soon as they had to stop pumping out 737s and essentially stopped selling aftermarket parts. The government absolutely pumped a ton of money into defense contractors like Boeing and Lockheed when it became clear COVID was going to turbofuck us, but nowhere near enough to have kept Boeing's stock so inflated for the last couple years. They even showed up to the Paris/Farnsborough Airshow this year with...a new 737 model they hope to get the all clear on from the government and slides about the 777x, which has been "Coming soon" for the last five years. Stock still stays way above where it should be despite all this. I really can't explain enough how much I dislike Boeing as a company.

All of this is why they are a great example of the belief of the public determining stock prices and product values. Look at all the major tech companies that have been around for a decade and haven't made a profit. They'll still have higher stock values than a bunch of companies that produce a product and make a profit because you hear stories about this VC or that company got in early and that this is the next Facebook or something and the "not profitable" part of the company gets completely forgotten when they announce their initial stock offering.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Unlike the DotCom boom, we didn't even get really funny Superbowl ads out of it. Just a bunch of lovely celebrity endorsements

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

The Glumslinger posted:

Unlike the DotCom boom, we didn't even get really funny Superbowl ads out of it. Just a bunch of lovely celebrity endorsements

idk, Larry David getting paid by FTX to say that he thought FTX was bad was pretty funny.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
also FTX crashing and burning and losing everything even within the same year as their dumb ad lol

good thing regulators just let that all happen though, wouldn't want to disrupt "innovation" right?

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 29, 2022

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Boxturret posted:

idk, Larry David getting paid by FTX to say that he thought FTX was bad was pretty funny.

Does that even count as an endorsement of the product?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

well it had previous scenes of larry david throughout history saying wheels and lightbulbs and airplanes and rockets were dumb and wouldn't work,

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Boxturret posted:

well it had previous scenes of larry david throughout history saying wheels and lightbulbs and airplanes and rockets were dumb and wouldn't work,

What’s that about a stopped clock.. :haw:

(Yah I know that wasn’t the ads intent)

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Boxturret posted:

It's kind of funny that they compared the greatest inventions in history to literally nothing.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the wheel, electricity, and the 500th bitcoin exchange to implode losing everyone's money. these are all equivalent

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Space Fish posted:

Who at Standard & Poor's allowed the bundles to get a high rating, and how safe are they from retaliation?

There's emails about it but basically the three rating agencies make their money by charging the businesses whose paper they are rating.

So if you didn't agree with Goldman Sachs' argument that mortgage backed securities can be made AAA grade by slicing them up and repackaging them, and your competitor did then they got the business and you didn't.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
It's extremely irritating when cryptobros compare their bullshit to the wheel and other useful stuff like it's some ironclad argument and it was extremely funny to watch them be proven so wrong so swiftly and so publicly.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

VitalSigns posted:

There's emails about it but basically the three rating agencies make their money by charging the businesses whose paper they are rating.

So if you didn't agree with Goldman Sachs' argument that mortgage backed securities can be made AAA grade by slicing them up and repackaging them, and your competitor did then they got the business and you didn't.

The incentive structure for ratings agencies is comically perverse, extremely obvious to everyone, and yet nothing is done about it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I know Nice Polite Republicans/NPR is poo poo, but jesus gently caress at them not saying the obvious that Tesla is making GBS threads the bed because Musky cant shut the gently caress up, or that Buttcoins and their Winter is actual year 2 or 3 or winter and among other fin 101 things.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

PhazonLink posted:

I know Nice Polite Republicans/NPR is poo poo, but jesus gently caress at them not saying the obvious that Tesla is making GBS threads the bed because Musky cant shut the gently caress up, or that Buttcoins and their Winter is actual year 2 or 3 or winter and among other fin 101 things.

It's quite funny that they aren't running with the obvious take, actually.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Thesaurus posted:

It seems the trick is to be the one "minting" and selling the poo poo coins in the first place. That's where the money ends up

The trick is heavy doses of psychiatric medication and being a nerdy dude from palo alto with wealthy parents

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/coffeebreak_YT/status/1608569493202079751

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

HolHorsejob posted:

I would love to find where all the real money that goes in comes out. Organized crime? A big scrooge mcduck vault in north korea? a barrel going off niagara falls?

NK launched more missiles this year than ever and yes that's directly from buttcoin their hackers stole

drk
Jan 16, 2005
newly uncovered documents reveal supreme leader kim jong il was satoshi and this is all according to divine plan

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

My two favorite responses I've seen to the Tesla stock price making GBS threads the bed are https://twitter.com/DallanInvictus/status/1607850507871174656 and https://twitter.com/LemieuxLGM/status/1607788056140197888

That First Tweet posted:

if the stock that formed the core of my personal wealth was massively overvalued solely because of my personal mystique, I would simply not spend $44 billion on a gigascale mystique-piercing machine and then permanently aim it at myself

That Second Tweet posted:

Constant MAGA shitposting and trolling when your core consumer base is educated urban liberals turns out to be not great for your massively overvalued business, who knew

I don't remember how Elon was about butts specifically, but I know he had some "fun" with Doge, and scams are regularly using his likeness for the "send me some money and I'll give you back double" thing.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL, coffee got under his skin for real.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Does anyone know if the double cash back scam predates MMOs? I feel like it must, but I don't know the right combination of runes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam

The general idea of a scammer taking a smaller amount with the promise of returning a larger amount has been around forever, but I think the variant where the victim chooses the fee and is promised double that amount back may have started with MMOs

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There were "mail me $5 and I'll send back $10" scams as long as dollars have existed.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

repiv posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam

The general idea of a scammer taking a smaller amount with the promise of returning a larger amount has been around forever, but I think the variant where the victim chooses the fee and is promised double that amount back may have started with MMOs

I can't possibly imagine anyone being stupid enough to fall for that.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Lammasu posted:

My dad is a MIT educated engineer and fell for it. It was the craigslist variety where the prospective buyer "accidentally" overpays with a (stolen) check and asks for a refund of the overpayment (via good check).

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Lammasu posted:

people fall for those things all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lammasu posted:

my man you are in the bitcoin thread