Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Looks great! I love my DE. I hope you didn’t waste money on accessories other than the funnel. The machine is great but the accessories are almost totally under baked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

Thank you for the recommendations and help. I'm waiting on a DE1 to complete the setup next month.

Assuming you went for the white xl to complete the look

sellouts posted:

Looks great! I love my DE. I hope you didn’t waste money on accessories other than the funnel. The machine is great but the accessories are almost totally under baked

the baskets are solid (though you only need the 18g it comes with), and i like the simple scale

Gunder
May 22, 2003

sellouts posted:

I think the tamper is pretty good too.

Edit: and the milk thermometer + milk jug.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

hypnophant posted:

Assuming you went for the white xl to complete the look

Yes, I had to keep the scheme going (wife's requirement).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That setup must require meticulous cleaning after every use.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The tamper is good but that scale is the worst piece of cooking equipment I own.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

withak posted:

That setup must require meticulous cleaning after every use.

Good for instagram though.

Fellow should make a hand grinder. I can imagine it having their signature knob to adjust the grind size. And it would be nice if there was a good hand grinder that wasn't another Comandante ripoff.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Furious Lobster posted:

Yes, I had to keep the scheme going (wife's requirement).

Mine has the opposite requirement, fortunately. Though the black version of the Silvia costs more and that's what I want in the future.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Got a few coffee related Christmas gifts, including new handles for the Decent and some Kruve latte glasses. The glasses are massive for my hands and are a little wonky feeling compared to my old cups, but I should get used to them before too long. My latte art isn't really "clean", but it's getting a hell of a lot better than it was.

Spiggy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 26, 2022

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Furious Lobster posted:

Thank you for the recommendations and help. I'm waiting on a DE1 to complete the setup next month.

Grinder buddies! :hfive:

Yeah, that white Ode is an absolute mess. I regret not waiting and getting a black 2.0, but it's still a great grinder with the new burrs.

A Decent is endgame for me, but I'm trying to hold off. Hoping this PID kit in the Gaggia tides me over for a while.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Should I skip the Delonghi Dedica/EC680/685 if I can get a Gaggia (or any other decent espresso machine in the $300-$400 range) for around the same price? I'll have a Mignon Specialita by the middle of January, and after BBB discounts, I'm in used Gaggia turf.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

MJP posted:

Should I skip the Delonghi Dedica/EC680/685 if I can get a Gaggia (or any other decent espresso machine in the $300-$400 range) for around the same price? I'll have a Mignon Specialita by the middle of January, and after BBB discounts, I'm in used Gaggia turf.

Yes, absolutely.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I agree. The Gaggia takes a little tinerking to get the most out of it, but it's a great starting point that can grow with you. Just the fact that it uses a full size 58mm portafilter means just about any accessories you buy will work with anything you get down the road.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I finally got around to cleaning the scale out of my regular kettle, and now it pours too fast to do a v60 easily! So now I’m looking around for other options for pouring kettles.

I’d love a temp controlled one, but I already have an electric kettle that we use a lot for other things. I’m not sure my partner is up for having 2 electric kettles.

For the non-electric ones, do people heat them on the stove? Or boil water elsewhere and pour it into the kettle first? Option 1 seems silly if I already have an electric kettle, but option 2 seems like it would drop the water temp a lot before pouring.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hario makes this thing just for pour overs

https://www.amazon.com/Hario-V60-Dr...ps%2C224&sr=8-1

James Hoffman thinks it's ok

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I finally got around to cleaning the scale out of my regular kettle, and now it pours too fast to do a v60 easily! So now I’m looking around for other options for pouring kettles.

Let the scale build back up :v:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Let the scale build back up :v:

I think it was mostly the mesh filter being scaled up that was helping! It let me pour at an angle that the spout worked without dribbling, but with a slow flow. Makes me wonder if I can fashion some kind of flow restriction to do the same thing!

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I previously posted how I wasn't happy with my Sette270 and looking for a replacement. I would now like to follow up that I am a friggin idiot and have been grinding on a machine with a hosed up gearbox. I chalked up the noise to it being a Baratza, "Everyone says it's noisy!", and the unevenness was it just being bad for filter sized grinds. Turns out you can further break the gearbox, where it then screams like a banshee and won't grind anything anymore. I brought it into a local coffee place that also fixes stuff, and they replaced it on the cheap, it would have cost me more to order the piece and do it myself, and it is now back to normal.
The difference is night and day, and I feel seriously stupid to not put 2 +2 together and just drinking lovely ground coffee for so long.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I’d love a temp controlled one, but I already have an electric kettle that we use a lot for other things. I’m not sure my partner is up for having 2 electric kettles.

For the non-electric ones, do people heat them on the stove? Or boil water elsewhere and pour it into the kettle first? Option 1 seems silly if I already have an electric kettle, but option 2 seems like it would drop the water temp a lot before pouring.

I guess it kinda depends on how finicky you are with your pour over process and what kind of beans you use.

For light roast stuff, you generally want to pour the second it hits boil or else it’s a little too cool. And if you use a range of roast types you’d want the fine control of a temp controlled kettle.

IMO with your current kettle you could buy a second mesh and double layer the mesh and maybe get the same effect.

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I went with the handmade Takahiro kettles from Japan, they look superb in the kitchen (pricey however) and the refined tip version pours excellently for a single/double cup. The larger versions are excellent for larger batches. Boil the water in the kettle itself and immediately start pouring when the top cover begins dancing around

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What is the best WDT tool? I looked at the Duomo Eight but that's 300CAD and I don't know that the results are markedly better than what you get otherwise. Reviews online show that it's very close between a proper WDT and the Duomo. I've been using an amazon $20 WDT tool with needles that are probably a bit large. I find I get more channeling when I use it vs when I just grind into the basket, shake it a bit to level, and tap it slightly to settle it before tamping. This actually gives me really great results so I'm excited to see what my results might be like with a proper tool. I got a Normcore spring loaded tamper for xmas which is great, just because it is appropriately sized to the basket (58.5mm) and the way it operates guarantees a level puck. It actually really improved the taste of my shots (more sweetness, more chocolate/berry) which is insane considering I was being very careful about the levelling of my tamping previously. I expect that I was getting a bit of overextraction around the edges where the tamper wasn't reaching - I could see flow start there while pulling the shot.

It looks like some WDT tools have springs at the top, I could see how this might provide an averaging of force or that kind of thing. Let's hear the recommendations! thanks. If the normcore WDT is good I'd be pleased to pick that up as it's on Canadian amazon.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1082355744/espresso-coffee-distribution-tool-wdt

I don't know how bad shipping and import fees to Canada are, but I've been using this and don't see the point in anything more fancy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

VelociBacon posted:

If the normcore WDT is good I'd be pleased to pick that up as it's on Canadian amazon.

I just bought one for my friend who owns a café, so we could test it out. Let me see if he'll be in the shop tomorrow!

e: iirc some very nerdy youtubers tried it, and 2 things: 1) the v1 had chunky needles, so not great, but the v2 fixed this, and 2) a hand-WDT for $10 is just as good, but takes 3x as long. Matters a lot for cafes and people who are more "get 'er done" than "zen out in the ritual"

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 28, 2022

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Spiggy posted:

I don't know how bad shipping and import fees to Canada are, but I've been using this and don't see the point in anything more fancy.

:same:

I can’t imagine spending much more than that on a WDT tool.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Spiggy posted:

That's all you need. You should be able to find a Canadian listing too for cheaper shipping.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004
Hey coffee goons. I want to buy an espresso setup for my wife for her birthday. Realistic primary uses:
- weekend lattes
- Steamed milk for London Fogs
- Occasional week day espresso or cappuccino when I have a break from work and want to treat myself.

Budget is $1200 max, but would ideally like to come under that so I can invest in new cups and other accessories.

Reading both the OP and r/espresso, it seems like my options are
- Breville Barista Express/Pro/Impress line

These seem okay all arounders but are a dead end in terms of upgrading.

- niche zero + gaggia classic pro

Is this too much grinder for my needs? People seem obsessed with this thing but it seems like a pain in the rear end to buy and it’s hard for me to tell if it’s overhyped

- df64 + rancio silvia

I think this might be the right mix of good/room for upgrades?

Any other recommendations?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bergeoisie posted:

Hey coffee goons. I want to buy an espresso setup for my wife for her birthday. Realistic primary uses:
- weekend lattes
- Steamed milk for London Fogs
- Occasional week day espresso or cappuccino when I have a break from work and want to treat myself.

Budget is $1200 max, but would ideally like to come under that so I can invest in new cups and other accessories.

Reading both the OP and r/espresso, it seems like my options are
- Breville Barista Express/Pro/Impress line

These seem okay all arounders but are a dead end in terms of upgrading.

- niche zero + gaggia classic pro

Is this too much grinder for my needs? People seem obsessed with this thing but it seems like a pain in the rear end to buy and it’s hard for me to tell if it’s overhyped

- df64 + rancio silvia

I think this might be the right mix of good/room for upgrades?

Any other recommendations?

I have a gaggia classic pro (GCP) with a 9 bar OPV spring mod, and a Eureka Mignon Chrono - with espresso burrs (I had to buy and swap them). I'm very happy with the setup but it's not great for the milk frothing. You can do it - but other machines do it better. I would say that as far as the grinder goes, you need to think about whether single dose grinding is something that will be part of your workflow quite a lot - like going between different beans or grind settings (same thing basically) is going to give you a significant amount of whatever you ground last unless you have a very low retention grinder like the Niche.

I wouldn't get the breville no matter what but with a budget like that I wonder about the Rancilo + a grinder like mine.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Kinda getting an itch to buy the Lagom P64 with SSP Unimodal-espresso burr set. Although, I probably don't want to bother with trying to switch between espresso and pour over grinds, so I guess I would keep my Baratza Vario.

I was looking at DF64(original, and the "p" model) videos and it seems like a good budget espresso grinder, but it seems like it could be finicky ifyou have to start calibrating or aligning the burrs. The Lagom, allegedly, comes aligned and they claim that it won't lose its calibration even after disassembling the burrs for cleaning.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

At least for me, the espresso dial-in is too finicky to try and do espresso and pour over with the same grinder. It's hard to get back to that exact spot on the grind level after a wide swing back and forth.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bandire posted:

At least for me, the espresso dial-in is too finicky to try and do espresso and pour over with the same grinder. It's hard to get back to that exact spot on the grind level after a wide swing back and forth.

Yeah I agree. Once I hit a sweet spot on a bag I’m not interested in going back and forth because I’ll never get it just right again.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Yeah I agree. Once I hit a sweet spot on a bag I’m not interested in going back and forth because I’ll never get it just right again.

Same but also if I'm home I have no interest in anything but espresso. If I want more volume I will have a second espresso. I work hospital shift work and get my drip coffee fix there I guess.

If I did need to grind for pourover at home I'd have no issue with buying another grinder for that just so I don't lose the perfect espresso grind setting. On the Mignon the dial isn't very useful for returning to known settings.

I ordered a new scale (timemore black mirror basic+), puck screen, and a magnetic mirror for bottomless basket inspection today.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Yeah that's true. I tried switching between espresso and pour over grind settings on my Vario and nothing seemed exactly right when I switched between the two settings I had dialed in.

I'm not sure what burr set I would pick for espresso only but I'm still tempted to get the Lagom because of how sturdy it appears, and hopefully long lasting and reliable.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Regarding the Robot - are you supposed to pause for some time after preinfusion or just go straight up to your target bar?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

If it's like the Flair, I do 1 bar until first drops, 0 bar 10 seconds, ramp up pretty quickly to 6 bar. By the end of that 10 seconds about 1.5g is in the cup.

I recently found my old notes when I started out where I liked 15 second pre-infusion, so I tried it again. I think 10 seconds is better. This is for light and medium roast, 15g in 35g out in 30 seconds from first drops.

bergeoisie
Aug 29, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I have a gaggia classic pro (GCP) with a 9 bar OPV spring mod, and a Eureka Mignon Chrono - with espresso burrs (I had to buy and swap them). I'm very happy with the setup but it's not great for the milk frothing. You can do it - but other machines do it better. I would say that as far as the grinder goes, you need to think about whether single dose grinding is something that will be part of your workflow quite a lot - like going between different beans or grind settings (same thing basically) is going to give you a significant amount of whatever you ground last unless you have a very low retention grinder like the Niche.

I wouldn't get the breville no matter what but with a budget like that I wonder about the Rancilo + a grinder like mine.

Yeah, I was planning on keeping my existing mediocre but mindless drip coffee setup separate from this. I can't deal with futzing with that in the mornings when getting the kids out the door.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

Regarding the Robot - are you supposed to pause for some time after preinfusion or just go straight up to your target bar?

You can. Lighter roasts (usually also a finer grind) seem to benefit more from preinfusion.

I do medium to dark roasts and usually do 1-2 bar until the first drips and then go directly to 6-8 bar for the rest of the shot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://www.modest.coffee/product/fire-sale/

apparently these folks got hosed up real bad by a distributor fuckup and are selling coffee cheap: https://www.modest.coffee/2022/12/how-we-got-grifted/

Downside here is that while "$6 a bag" sounds great it was roasted in June/July.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That’s a sad story. gently caress billion dollar companies crushing small businesses because they made a mistake and don’t want to take what would amount to less than a .25% hit to quarterly profit margins.

I’d buy a case on principle if I had the cash or was making anything other than espresso these days.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that sucks

but also i did just read this ad copy "We figured out a special way to roast decaf so that it tastes just like any caffeinated bean" and lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

https://www.modest.coffee/product/fire-sale/

apparently these folks got hosed up real bad by a distributor fuckup and are selling coffee cheap: https://www.modest.coffee/2022/12/how-we-got-grifted/

Downside here is that while "$6 a bag" sounds great it was roasted in June/July.

Saw the post on reddit. Feel bad for them, but 6 month old coffee, even sealed in airtight bags probably isn't the greatest. They appear to have sold out of everything but the decaf and some of the dark roast. Hopefully they can pay off their debts.

My brother gave me a six month coffee subscription to a local roaster, and of course the first bag they sent me was a dark roast blend which I have so far not been a huge fan of. Hopefully the next bag is a light roast or at least medium.