Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can construct stairs up into empty space, you just can't dig them upward, and you can't construct them up into an occupied space (like a higher underground layer). Constructing them up into empty air works though

How? Sorry, but when I try that nothing happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

johnny park posted:

How? Sorry, but when I try that nothing happens

You need to hit build -> constructions -> stairs instead of dig -> stairs

Also thank you for reminding me of the existence of the best Foo Fighters song, haven't listened to that in ages

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 30, 2022

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a convenient way to export world gen parameters? Or to look up what went into a world? That dreamy embark I posted about earlier had a few additional non-standard adjustments needed to make it happen.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I had to settle here because this volcano was named "The Blaze of Bowls" :2bong:

Except uhh... what...

What is this...

No, stop, I do not want a natural cave full of weapon traps and tame Rake Men. I do not like this.

But... this hole...

It was made for dwarves.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 30, 2022

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Hmm. Can you power screw pumps with a gear assembly above them? If you can't, I might need to relocate this one or dig it out a feeder pond.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Redeye Flight posted:

Hmm. Can you power screw pumps with a gear assembly above them? If you can't, I might need to relocate this one or dig it out a feeder pond.

Yup, you can transfer power to/from above on pumps. That's how pump stacks work, just plopping them on top of each other, but you can do it with gear assemblies, too.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
ive lost all sense of what meaningful progression is supposed to be, although i did dig deep enough to find some caverns. what should i do next after i have a basically functioning fort? can i build schools and temples??

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Hellioning posted:

I'm still not sure why they defaulted to 'everyone can do everything except a few things' instead of 'everyone can only do the things they are good at'. Any tips?

The thing that made it click for me is realizing that in the case of most jobs/tasks, I value the task done being fast rather than the task done being to high quality. The new system defaults to everyone doing (mostly) everything to ensure that jobs get done fast. This doesn't maximize XP per dwarf, but in my experience they still level up quick.

As others have mentioned the system does automatically prioritizes the "best" dwarf for the task if possible and in my experience you still end up with lots of quality items this way. When I want rock/wood blocks, giant corkscrews, dwarven wine, mechanisms I usually just want them to be done ASAP and I don't really care by who, and this system makes it so that whoever has free hands at that moment will do it. If I do care by who, I can set a custom work order on a restricted work bench (for things like weapons or armor, or important furniture).

So my usual plan now is to go down the list and custom assign jobs like woodcutting or mining to ensure that people skill rapidly there; I also make those dwarves set to "only do assigned jobs" to ensure that when I want something mined, they mine it immediately (since frankly getting it done now is more important than being a "good" miner). I might do the same for engraving, since there's benefits to masterwork engravings. But stone smoothing? Whoever is nearby can do that. Same for crafts, I'd rather have a billion trinkets to sell whenever I want than a handful of artisanal ones, and I'll still get a bunch of good ones anyway from the dwarves who end up skilling well into it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Just make sure you're not over-smoothing everything if you have everyone doing smoothing. That's a good way to end up with a 70+ member stonecarver guild that ties up a significant chunk of your population with guild demonstrations :(

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

can i build schools and temples??

temples yes, your dwarves will ask you to build them and guildhalls at some point. schools no, but guildhalls help improve your dwarves' skills. you can also build libraries. i haven't actually built one yet myself, but afaict they don't improve skills or anything but do give nerdier dwarves happy thoughts and teach bards new songs? which idk if that helps in any way but

e: oh i think you can also get your dwarves and visitors writing books in your library which you can trade. seems like a lot of effort when there's easier stuff to produce for trade though

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 30, 2022

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Guildhalls can somewhat function as "schools", especially if you open them up to all citizens. Dwarves can run skill demonstrations there and teach.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Retired my first fort, Pureseal, because I was getting tired of dealing with cave sparrow man and olm man raids in the caverns.

It led to me poking around Legends and I found the most badass Dwarf from that fortress: Zulban Stakescrapes the Armored Aura of Ivy.

Zulban came to Pureseal at the age of 27 in the year 103 and became a scholar, almost immediately authoring Treatise On The Axioms. He was also drafted to help defend the fort and fought in 10 different seiges, assaults, and onslaughts. In the meantime he also authored The Hidden Meaning Of Animal Diseases and Mysteries of Surveying.

Zulban found a calling in 107 though when he struck down the forgotten beast Sarek Perplexdream with the bismuth bronze axe he then named The Flame Of Flanking. Zulban went on to kill 3 more forgotten beasts with The Flame of Flanking as well as a three-eyed brute released from obsidian. Overall he has 35 kills with this axe alone and continues to live on protecting Pureseals from man, beast, and goblin.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I had to learn about memorial slabs today when a Forgotten Beast killed a miner who fell into water in the caverns and his ghost began haunting the fortress. Trying to recover his body let the Forgotten Beast into the fort, killing a dozen dwarves before it died. Then when one of those dead dwarves’ bodies was inaccessible, his ghost haunted his daughter until she went insane and I finally figured out how to engrave a memorial slab to put the ghost to rest.

I also somehow unintentionally engineered a very funny/Fun situation where a dwarf would try to entomb the body of a human monster slayer (killed by the same Forgotten Beast), then another dwarf would haul the rotting corpse back to the refuse pile outside, and immediately bring it back in the fort to entomb it, repeating infinitely. This probably happened a dozen times before I noticed (a dwarf threw a tantrum because she was so disturbed by the paraded corpse).

I’m pretty sure it was another daughter of the ghost too lol

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

kdrudy posted:

Retired my first fort, Pureseal, because I was getting tired of dealing with cave sparrow man and olm man raids in the caverns.

Can you stop cavern raids by just walling off the map edges? I've been pushing into different caverns to various degrees by walling small sections off and gradually expanding. Only had one cavern raid so far and it was when I'd opened up a wall section to expand. It was easily put down but I'm assuming they'll become bigger/more frequent as I grow in wealth.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i think im gonna start building more dining halls and taverns down in the caves since ive regularly got a few people down there doing stuff and its a long walk back up to get food and socialize

im also setting up some barracks down there so i can have guards regularly patrolling around the farms down there

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

Can you stop cavern raids by just walling off the map edges? I've been pushing into different caverns to various degrees by walling small sections off and gradually expanding. Only had one cavern raid so far and it was when I'd opened up a wall section to expand. It was easily put down but I'm assuming they'll become bigger/more frequent as I grow in wealth.

I never allow my fortress any access to the caverns except for very temporary excursions to cut down mushrooms for wood (and even then I tend to wall off a section of the cavern to cut mushrooms in), and I've never had a cavern invasion. Based on the other posts ITT tonight about sieges/invasions standing still doing nothing if they have no way to path to any of your dwarves I'm guessing this is correct - they probably just don't spawn down there if they'd have no way into the fort.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yup, you can transfer power to/from above on pumps. That's how pump stacks work, just plopping them on top of each other, but you can do it with gear assemblies, too.

Rad, though a stack may not be doable here since I'm basically having to build this up the side of a mountain. Lots of horizontal distance to cover that I really want to have the pumps handle some of if I can.

These elven treecutting treaties are really starting to bite, especially since they also apply to the caverns trees. Just HOW mad are they going to be if I turn down the treaty for a year and just buzzcut down the forest out front for a one-time wood pulse? Are we talking instant vendetta or final warning territory?

If I could pull that off without needing to fight the elves (which I don't really want on this fort, the wildlife and the goblins are enough of a problem), then I could have enough wood for years more of treaties. That and I want them to keep bringing exotic animals to the fort.

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021

Fish Appreciator posted:

I told myself I didn't want to request help/seek out specific info, but I've been making exceptions when an issue is especially ridiculous.

I'm being terrorized by a giant bird with a grudge.

There is a giant agitated wren that has been swooping around the 50-60 elevation range. At some point, it seems like he was hit with a crossbow bolt (hence the agitation). I'm guessing this is before he retreated to the skies, because even my best marks marksdwarves can't touch him. His presence keeps interrupting my woodcutters, fishers, plant gatherers, hunters, and wood collectors. Pretty much anyone who exits the fortress. It seems like tasks eventually get done, but at a way slower pace, and it's been killing their moods.

This has been going on for a full year.

How do I get rid of this awful beast?

Edit: I'm gonna call this my gangtag submission if that's still going on.

Update: I was building a ballista just to knock this fucker out, and ge just kind of... flew away.

Cool.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

They seem to recognize forbidden from like, across the map. My guess would be the pump, maybe, they thought they could get up there somehow? Would be interested in your result without that, or with it walled off.

They appeared to be uninterested in the bed and the pump, but the tame war dog on a chain lured them in, but it didn't appear to be immediate, just eventually

if they didn't immediately aggro on yours, a part of me wonders if the pathfinding is such that they iterate through everything over time to see if they can find a route to it and only seem to immediately lock on to an undefended fortress because most things on that list are by-definition available to path to in that situation

Johnny Lee Wombat
Jan 1, 2010

You can construct stairs up into empty space, you just can't dig them upward, and you can't construct them up into an occupied space (like a higher underground layer). Constructing them up into empty air works though

I'm at work now so I can't double check but I'm 99% sure that if you go to the upper layer and dig a down stair first, you can then construct an up stair in the empty space under it.

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Tried to hollow out all three soil layers for an underground tree farm. Ended up collapsing a part of my old cistern into the main fortress. Widespread death, mess and havoc.
At least the traumatized survivors got to experience a pleasant mist.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I never allow my fortress any access to the caverns except for very temporary excursions to cut down mushrooms for wood (and even then I tend to wall off a section of the cavern to cut mushrooms in), and I've never had a cavern invasion. Based on the other posts ITT tonight about sieges/invasions standing still doing nothing if they have no way to path to any of your dwarves I'm guessing this is correct - they probably just don't spawn down there if they'd have no way into the fort.

They 100% still spawn if they have 0 routes into your fort, they just gently caress around killing random animals or fighting with forgotten beasts (or, in some cases, fighting with other cavern invasions, apparently, presumably if there's multiple factions of birdpeople or something)

I don't know if walling off the edges of the cave disable invasions outright, I'd assume but actually testing that would be a gigantic pain with how many twisting passages all alike I've got going on in mine.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I'm still not sure why they defaulted to 'everyone can do everything except a few things' instead of 'everyone can only do the things they are good at'. Any tips?

You probably got answered already, but a big helper here is to set your professional dwarves as masters of workshops. No matter what their labors are set to, they'll prioritize that workshop's tasks, and no other dwarf can use that workshop. With that, there's no need to make a custom labor for carpenting or soapmaking or whatever -- they can just do their assigned work and gently caress off to do other things if there's no work orders or repeat production to do. There's lots of things that really only need a few dwarves doing it, and workshop masters is a good way to keep those jobs simple.

For things that don't have workshops, like collecting herbs or refuse hauling, it's easier to make a custom labor. For something like body disposal in particular, I set any low skill dwarf to it as a custom labor, but leave it as "everyone does this" until I need an army of corpse haulers to get rid of 30+ dead fishmen or whatever.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

My only adamantine spire is covered by magma in the magma sea. Is there any way to access it at all?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

johnny park posted:

My only adamantine spire is covered by magma in the magma sea. Is there any way to access it at all?

with water, one layer at a time, I'd assume

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Trying to flood the sea just creates an obsidian pillar at the first contact point and stops the water flow, unless I'm doing something wrong

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Is there a "smart" way to build walls 2 or 3 z-levels high that won't require me to place the walls bit-by-bit to ensure dwarves have access?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

johnny park posted:

Trying to flood the sea just creates an obsidian pillar at the first contact point and stops the water flow, unless I'm doing something wrong

7/7 magma is floor to ceiling, so if you're dumping water in from the z-level directly above it that's going to effectively only "touch" one square of magma and then seal itself in

you would have to mine out the z-level above the magma sea and then channel down into it to give the water room to both convert one square of magma to obsidian and also move to adjacent squares

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

JerikTelorian posted:

Is there a "smart" way to build walls 2 or 3 z-levels high that won't require me to place the walls bit-by-bit to ensure dwarves have access?

Build a scaffolding floor next to where you're constructing the wall, but then you have to just leave the scaffolding there or else you have the same problem with deconstructing the scaffolding.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Am I doing something wrong with hunting or are some animals just gods? I watch my hunters dump like hundreds of bolts into one creature and it heals to full health in seconds, in the time it takes for them to get more ammo.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Welp, RIP Boarboard, my first real fort. My first warning something had gone wrong was when one of my magma forges cancelled a job due to becoming inoperative. Turned out some water had gotten into the magma reservoir and turned the intake into obsidian. I'd been digging around down at the bottom of my magma pump stack draining water and magma pools to get at the gems and artifacts down there, so my first thought was that water had somehow gotten into the magma pumps and blocked them up. I went to look and see where I went wrong but couldn't find a problem. Turns out the water never got into the pumps - it was draining down from above. In the winter I'd dug a new tunnel past the reservoir for my well. The point where the water comes down from above freezes up for most of the year and, aside from the one icy edge, the tile turns dark. I forgot about that and didn't notice the new tunnel ran right past that one tile. It didn't flood immediately because it was still frozen and I didn't stick around to watch the tunnel get dug out so I didn't notice when the other side of the ice tile was revealed. Come summer and of course it thawed out again and by the time my magma forge went offline it was too late to do anything about it. Kind of ironic I was so worried about flooding my base with magma while I was building the pump stack, only for that to go off without a hitch and me to flood the base with my "safe" water supply instead. Lesson learned: next time I'll surround my reservoir with bricks to avoid any digging incidents.

I'm sure as gently caress not building another 60 level pump stack, so time to roll up a volcano fort!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Why are my dwarves not making glass things? I have a sand collection zone set up, i have made bags to transport it, some of it is even in the work shop, but every time I queue it up it immediately goes away.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Do you have fuel?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Welp.

The name translates into "The Scintillating Cover". We now have artifact lingerie to display in the tavern. This loving game.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Remalle posted:

Do you have fuel?

Plenty of coke or charcoal, yea.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

What kind of glass are you trying to make? Clear glass and crystal glass need more than snad.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Do check the cancellation log too, you should get a message about why the job was cancelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

trying to imagine the situation that led to them putting the corpse inside the coffin, but leaving the skeleton outside