Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Reveilled posted:

Apparently Logan Paul (the suicide forest youtuber) and some boxer/influencer called KSI started a soft drink company, and cause they're internet famous all the kids want their drink?
also Aldi was selling them for like two quid a pop when packs of 15 are going for £200+ on line, so presumably a lot of the middle-aged people wrenching them out of the kiddies' hands are resellers/scalpers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jeherrin posted:

I cut my teeth on HL1 because my parents couldn’t afford a TV so I played at friend’s houses, but the first game I really got to play on my own terms was BF1942 and then the Desert Combat fan expansion, which had inertia physics for the helicopters and you really had to learn how to fly those fuckers with WASD and a mouse and getting that right and just gunning down the map in a heli just brought me so much joy. It was so hard at first and then eventually it would click and you’d just be a proper angel of death.

Then HL2 came out and I just lost my mind.

But eventually I stopped liking shooting people and played Rift for a year. Drowned in MMO madness until I surfaced and now I’m just a filthy casual. Last games I really loved were Cities Skylines and Subnautica.

Ah hell yeah I remember DC helicopters, they couldn't hover and were basically just planes pointed upwards, so you had to keep tapping W to make them go.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Ah hell yeah I remember DC helicopters, they couldn't hover and were basically just planes pointed upwards, so you had to keep tapping W to make them go.

Tip forward with the mouse, W to get some momentum, ease back up… when you understood the mechanic and it became second nature you could strafe from any direction, turn on a dime, and then haul arse out in any direction while the AA exploded around you, cackling as the tank turrets went skyward.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

they couldn't hover and were basically just planes pointed upwards

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The problem with adaptive difficulties is that most devs don't know how to make things more difficult or more easy in a way that doesn't suck. So the reward for getting good becomes a more frustrating experience, so now in addition to getting good you need to learn when to eat poo poo so it stays at a nice level. Survival horror genres get away with it because they're just visual novel puzzlers for people who like to get spooked.

It's also probably a LOT more work than just really trying to nail a single universal difficulty (Fromsoft) or just making everything piss easy because it's a movie as much as a game and have a couple miserably unfun modes that are very honest about being horseshit (God of War)

Hearing a dev on a game I was looking forward to held MMOs and mobile gaming in highest contempt would actually be a great sign for me lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

The problem with adaptive difficulties is that most devs don't know how to make things more difficult or more easy in a way that doesn't suck. So the reward for getting good becomes a more frustrating experience, so now in addition to getting good you need to learn when to eat poo poo so it stays at a nice level. Survival horror genres get away with it because they're just visual novel puzzlers for people who like to get spooked.

It's also probably a LOT more work than just really trying to nail a single universal difficulty (Fromsoft) or just making everything piss easy because it's a movie as much as a game and have a couple miserably unfun modes that are very honest about being horseshit (God of War)

Hearing a dev on a game I was looking forward to held MMOs and mobile gaming in highest contempt would actually be a great sign for me lol

This reminds me of this video I watched this last month apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJZyPdYIbZI

Where for instance in Gears of War they had a mechanic that hitting the reload button at a specific rhythm gave you a faster reload/damage boost for the next clip, which made the enemies too easy for hardcore players, so they had to make the enemies harder, but then casual players were getting wiped out.

So after a while the devs noticed that hardcore players tended to reload early and often, to fit the battle, whereas casual players would always let the mag disperse and then let the reload player out, so the devs made it so the final bullets in a mag were always super powerful, so that both hardcore and casual players could defeat the same enemies with their different techniques but to the same outcome.

Just one of those game mechanics I'd never even played myself but found was a cool way of making it so all kinds of players could appreciate the game.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

Sadly given the tight budgets and lack of dedicated balancers in the games design field advocating for it, fancy features like adaptive balancing and even basic features like difficulty modes get cut really often because its a niche feature and honestly, nobody cares.

[...]

Additionally many games designers tend towards being a bunch of extremely opinionated genre snobs who get obsessed with one genre and rarely play anything else, or care about anything outside their area of expertise.

[...]

Usually they think the idea of speaking to your players is dangerous as they have terrible ideas (not always untrue) and that supporting a game after launch is a fools errand.
This is why it's so important for acessibility advocacy to come from a vocal and active gaming press. I follow a lot of accessibility journalists on twitter, and it does kind of seem like if enough fuss can be created about accessibility in a certain area, it can be easier to put pressure on the higher-ups to consider it as a result. It at least puts pressure on them to performatively be seen supporting it.

There's also a snowball effect in terms of what becomes acceptable to not do. Colorblind support is something that seems over the last few years to have become normalised as an accessibility option, to the point where if a game comes out without it, there's now a very vocal part of the community that will ask where the loving colorblindness options are.

I mean I'm optimistic at the ways discussions about gaming accessibility are expanding, because every time it does expand it welcomes in new voices and new audiences who either couldn't play before or didn't want to because of how actively unpleasant it was.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately a lot of the management games I play do not have colourblind support and also make a lot of stuff dependent on seeing colour.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/simonharris_mbd/status/1608255686047322113

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1608578309981442051

Apparently, Romanian police needed evidence that Tate was in Romania before they could arrest him, and they figured out he was because in the video response he posted to Greta saying he had a tiny dick he had a Pizza box from a local Pizzeria.

Nobody has ever been this owned on the internet, and that's a hell of an achievement on Musk's twitter.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1608596342854782979

"Yes, it may have led to the Arrest of a notorious sex trafficker and violent misogynist, but it gave a platform to a man who already had millions of people watching his stuff."

Remarkable Head in the Sand bullshit from the Deputy Political Editor of the New Statesman.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1608193380701331456

Wow, she really is a class act after all!

Fancy taking offence at a fact! Such as the fact Julia Hartley-Brewer is a oval office.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
To add that if anyone's oh so offended by someone calling her a oval office, no need to be, just be reminded that it's simply a descriptor and not an insult (this was her excuse).

Right, off to finish Fleishman Is In Trouble.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I wonder if they'll let the cars visit him in jail

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I just learned that JHB has blocked me thanks to her latest tweet turd. I've insulted her many times over the years so it's hilarious that she's finally noticed me. gently caress you Julia, may you rot in hell.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Dead
  • Vivenne Westwood out of SEX
  • John Bird out of Marmalade Atkins
  • Ruggero Deodato (cannibalised)
  • Andrew Tate (soon, probably)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It would be kind of funny if he tried to rat out the people trafficking network and suddenly developed a fragile hyoid bone in custodyminecraft

Mebh
May 10, 2010

loving lol at andrew tate, pure schadenfreude.

I'm astonished at the amount of bile directed at Greta for uh...speaking truth to power... It's been added to my list of immediate red flags for assholes, alongside crypto and people who refuse to spray/neuter their pets amongst many others.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Reveilled posted:

Video games are in a weird grey area between being a skill hobby and a media hobby, and I don’t think there are any easy answers to the matter.

Like, listening to music is a media hobby and playing music is a skill hobby. It’d be crazy if halfway through an album you had to complete a QTE to listen to the second half, but equally, folks would look at you funny if you bought the sheet music of the album and then complained you could only play half of it because the other songs were too hard and there were no easier versions of the songs included.

Is playing a video game more like playing an album or playing an instrument? You could argue that either way, I think. If it was exactly like playing an album, then watching an LP would be a perfectly acceptable substitute, but it’s clear that this isn’t the case for most people. But if it was exactly like playing an instrument, then nobody would expect they should be able to complete any game they buy, and that’s also not the case.

I think different games fall at different ends of this spectrum. I remember being unable to finish Zelda Spirit Tracks on the DS because I couldn’t do some stupid loving pan pipe section and being enraged that some bullshit little mini game had effectively cut me off for the game. That felt like playing an album. On the flip side, I never finished Baba Is You because I’m too loving dumb and not feeling bad at all about that, because it didn’t seem unfair that a puzzle game was made for people smarter than me. That felt more like playing an instrument.

I really like this argument. I don't play a musical instrument but I imagine that mastering a particular piece of music has similar dopamine rewards to nailing the timings on a particularly tough boss fight. For rhythm action games the parallel is probably even closer.

I have hosed hands so really struggle with anything that involves striking different buttons to a rhythm, or even just button bashing QTEs. I haven't played Sekiro as I'm worried about this being a liability, but button bashing isn't especially important in other Soulsborne games so that skill barrier is less important there.

My dumb brain is convinced no deck building game is actually possible to beat though, I'm still stuck on act 1 of Inscryption *sigh*.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If we're recommending games I just finished this rad 90s style point and click adventure with awesome Northern voice acting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-1C_9RQJb8

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

I knew KSI and Paul were popular with kids, but I didn't really realise how much. Crazy.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kegluneq posted:

I really like this argument. I don't play a musical instrument but I imagine that mastering a particular piece of music has similar dopamine rewards to nailing the timings on a particularly tough boss fight. For rhythm action games the parallel is probably even closer.

I have hosed hands so really struggle with anything that involves striking different buttons to a rhythm, or even just button bashing QTEs. I haven't played Sekiro as I'm worried about this being a liability, but button bashing isn't especially important in other Soulsborne games so that skill barrier is less important there.

My dumb brain is convinced no deck building game is actually possible to beat though, I'm still stuck on act 1 of Inscryption *sigh*.

For me probably the strongest feeling of a game as a skill hobby was completing Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy. The core point of that game is to be hard to the point where you might be unable to complete it, and indeed more than once I put the game down and stopped playing for weeks because I judged that the game was too hard and that I’d never finish it. But each time I came back, persevered, and eventually reached the top of the mountain.

I think that game underscores that the blurred line between “games as media” and “games as skill” isn’t the same thing as “games which are art” and “games which are just games”, Getting Over It is in my view unquestionably a work of art, but the primary experience that art affords the player is the feeling of bitter frustration that comes from facing a challenge that seems impossible. Only some small fraction of players will persevere through to experience the secondary feeling of overcoming that challenge. I believe not having an option to adjust the difficulty is functionally essential to that game as a work of art.

Which isn’t to say games shouldn’t have difficulty modes. Celeste certainly wasn’t cheapened in the slightest by having its assist mode, and I do think developers should give careful consideration to providing difficulty options to make their games more accessible to players. But insofar as they are artistic products I don’t think an artist is obligated to modify for the players sake, if they consider the difficulty to be essential to the artwork.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lmao Greta is the absolute queen of this poo poo, what an own

Only Kindness posted:

To add that if anyone's oh so offended by someone calling her a oval office, no need to be, just be reminded that it's simply a descriptor and not an insult (this was her excuse).

I wonder if this would fly in QCS :thunkher:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I like to think that Musk reinstated Tate to twitter just so Musk wouldn't end up as 'Twitter Dipshit of the Year'. I know it's late in the day, but we're still in 2022 - congrats Musk.

Also this:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And you'd better all come and share your favourite games in the GOTY thread I swear to god :argh:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Red Oktober posted:

I like to think that Musk reinstated Tate to twitter just so Musk wouldn't end up as 'Twitter Dipshit of the Year'. I know it's late in the day, but we're still in 2022 - congrats Musk.

Also this:

I think Elon still takes that title.
Tate was likely always going to be caught, him arguing with Great just made it happen now and not in 2 weeks or whatever.

Elon didn't have to buy twitter for multiple times its value, then run it into the ground while simultaneously crashing his main companies stock. But he needed people to tell him he was cool, so did.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Greta returns to the arena to laugh at the body of the fallen

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1608735970131849217

Edit. While we are also treated to this searing hot take

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1608604803642585089

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 30, 2022

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Reveilled posted:

Video games are in a weird grey area between being a skill hobby and a media hobby, and I don’t think there are any easy answers to the matter.

Like, listening to music is a media hobby and playing music is a skill hobby. It’d be crazy if halfway through an album you had to complete a QTE to listen to the second half, but equally, folks would look at you funny if you bought the sheet music of the album and then complained you could only play half of it because the other songs were too hard and there were no easier versions of the songs included.

I'm reminded of Dara O Briain's Video Game sketch; both you and he are on the nose about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeFPIDTkWyA

I had to give up on completing DS3's dlc because the bosses were too fast for me to complete a battle without making a fatal mistake. It also did the mega annoyance of multiple healthbars. I'm fine with multistage bosses, but give me the full healthbar at the start.

Same with Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth - I really enjoyed it until a certain point where it turned out I was going to have to face boss rushes to finish it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Incredible dunks from Greta gods drat

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The original email address dunk was such a limp 90s throwback that it makes it 10x funnier that it immediately pierced him to the bone

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Only Kindness posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1608193380701331456

Wow, she really is a class act after all!

Fancy taking offence at a fact! Such as the fact Julia Hartley-Brewer is a oval office.

"I'd rather be a repulsive womaniser and human trafficker in prison than a hippy do-gooder that wants to save the planet" is a heck of an admission.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

smellmycheese posted:

Greta returns to the arena to laugh at the body of the fallen

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1608735970131849217

Edit. While we are also treated to this searing hot take

https://twitter.com/jessphillips/status/1608604803642585089

Jess only saying "I" four times in a story that has nothing whatsoever to do with her, that's positively restrained for once

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Marmaduke! posted:

Jess only saying "I" four times in a story that has nothing whatsoever to do with her, that's positively restrained for once

Shadow Minister for Domestic Violence and Safeguarding showing how much she cares about the portfolio by not knowing anything about one of the biggest threats to those things, outstanding work

And then suggesting he really just needed a Ghislaine on top of that

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rarity posted:

And you'd better all come and share your favourite games in the GOTY thread I swear to god :argh:
You didn’t link it so I don’t know where it is but the answer is Tunic :swoon:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1608764236905459713

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Comedy really is legal on twitter again

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010