Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Endman posted:

what about the lembas bread, smart guy? :colbert:

Ugh fine, you can have some left over dinner rolls at the bottom of the pantry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

nobody is considering the real enemy. Those insidious tree elves. That's why we need to burn all the forests down and salt the earth with agent orange. It's the right thing to do.

burning the trees down and fighting the elves is an orc thing to do, hth

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

this mf used vis-a-vis unironically smdh

Concordantly.

Context for anyone who never saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5OfG_wxkJI

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Endman posted:

The real war crime

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

bagual posted:

To fully justify why i said Russia's invasion of Ukraine is anti-imperialist, i'd have to strictly define empire (pre-modern vs modern sense), imperialism and capitalism, and regional power since that's what i described Russia as, and how this ties into the present international system.

This goes into international relations theory though, may be kind of boring and obtuse and longwinded, so instead of a pondered vis a vis on why exactly Ukraine is trying to become part of the worst empire ever and Russia is "just" (big just) a threat to its neighbors i skipped to the endpoint.

This just to say, i was talking about the war, because the imperialism topic i know a thing or two about and you bet it's re-litigated a lot. My words are backed-up by theory, and if anyone wants to call me a Russia apologist just keep in mind Putin is not good (at anything besides smooching, ooh-la-la) and i'd rather anti-imperialism be done economically and diplomatically.

But if Majoran rather have the thread talk about the more tasteful topics of where and when people are shooting eachother with what pew pews and which cities rockets are flying into that's fine by me.

I for one miss the ork jokes.

Nah, gently caress it, you're making a good argument. I don't entirely agree with it (I don't know how helpful it is to define things like empire THAT strictly), but it's a good argument all the same. This is supposed to be a thread where people can have actual arguments and debates on these topics, and I'm not going to stand in the way of that. As long as someone isn't trying to make the invasion seem like a good thing, I'm satisfied.

Sorry I told you to cut it out, that wasn't fair of me.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

bagual posted:

To fully justify why i said Russia's invasion of Ukraine is anti-imperialist, i'd have to strictly define empire (pre-modern vs modern sense), imperialism and capitalism, and regional power since that's what i described Russia as, and how this ties into the present international system.

This goes into international relations theory though, may be kind of boring and obtuse and longwinded, so instead of a pondered vis a vis on why exactly Ukraine is trying to become part of the worst empire ever and Russia is "just" (big just) a threat to its neighbors i skipped to the endpoint.

This just to say, i was talking about the war, because the imperialism topic i know a thing or two about and you bet it's re-litigated a lot. My words are backed-up by theory, and if anyone wants to call me a Russia apologist just keep in mind Putin is not good (at anything besides smooching, ooh-la-la) and i'd rather anti-imperialism be done economically and diplomatically.

But if Majoran rather have the thread talk about the more tasteful topics of where and when people are shooting eachother with what pew pews and which cities rockets are flying into that's fine by me.

I for one miss the ork jokes.

i'd be pretty interested in your IR theory explanation actually, especially since im from australia, which ostensibly has sovereignty but in practise does whatever dumbshit thing the US wants us to do including starting a trade war with a country that makes up 40% of our exports, which is only 6% of their imports.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Majorian posted:

Nah, gently caress it, you're making a good argument. I don't entirely agree with it (I don't know how helpful it is to define things like empire THAT strictly), but it's a good argument all the same. This is supposed to be a thread where people can have actual arguments and debates on these topics, and I'm not going to stand in the way of that.

Sorry I told you to cut it out, that wasn't fair of me.

a non-terminal case of modbrain! thank u maj

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd just like to thank Bagual and Majoran for having that discussion (agreement or not, we aren't a literal hive mind). People using nuanced positions to discuss topics or explore ideas is part of why we're all here.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Endman posted:

That's what you get when you get me in boring longwinded obtuse mode fucko so buckle up bitch there's a lot more coming your way

Jk, thanks Majoran i was not so sure about posting that last one with this thread's history on random bans and poo poo

Tl:dr on empire it's about trade, there were multiple european empires with exclusive trade routes towards their colonies, now the US Navy controls all maritime trade lanes simultaneously through enforcing the territorial and international waters system and force projects anywhere anytime, hence "the west" is an empire on a global scale and Russia is a regional actor, only one of those is a threat to everyone.

Oh and modern empires are fundamentally different from ancient ones due to the emergence of globalized trade and primitive capital accumulation leading to capitalism.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

400 new posts and it is, again, mlmp desperately trying to pick a slap fight with Ardennes.

The jealousy is palpable

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
the thread is much like the russian invasion, so much noise, so little progress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

the thread is much like the russian invasion, so much noise, so little progress.

ah, but is the thread imperialist?

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

Majorian posted:

This is supposed to be a thread where people can have actual arguments and debates on these topics, and I'm not going to stand in the way of that. As long as someone isn't trying to make the invasion seem like a good thing, I'm satisfied.

"Now Skip, you know I love free speech and debates"
"Of course"
"BUT"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

chopper city posted:

"Of course"
"BUT"

lmao

I'm a sucker for a Stephen A Smith impression. No caveats on that one.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

I think this thread definitely progressed more in 40 pages than that 40 kilometer convoy ever did.

I imagined so many planners trying to push big sales of fancy poo poo due to the big scary enemy slapping their foreheads once the paper tiger melted in the mud fields. I guess the USA is still getting a new bomber out of it though, everyone else just needs the bare minimum of what they already theoretically technically had. Looking at you Germany.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

One of Britain's top chefs has warned that he fears for the future of restaurants across the country unless government offers a helping hand.

"I'm now into the 41st year of being a chef and being in the restaurant business. We've never, ever seen challenges like we have right now, and it's incredibly difficult to manage," Paul Askew, chef patron at the up-market Art School restaurant in Liverpool, told Xinhua in a recent interview.

A shrinking economy and soaring inflation, on the back of the COVID-19 pandemic and the Russia-Ukraine conflict, were an absolute recipe for disaster, Askew said. He is also a fellow of the Royal Academy of Culinary Arts.

"This problem is not just isolated to Liverpool and the northwest. This is absolutely nationwide," he said, noting that the industry is facing tremendous risks brought about by the ongoing cost-of-living crisis, the surging energy bills, the rising cost of commodities and the problem of under-staffing.

"You're not just talking about things going up two, three, four percent. You're talking about things going up 25, 30 and 40 percent. Dairy, fish, meat, staples, flour, vegetable oil, you name it. Everything has gone north, nothing's going south," complained the chef.

Pushed up by soaring energy bills and food prices, inflation in Britain has been running high since last winter, reaching successive new records. In November, inflation in the country stood at 10.7 percent.

The rising prices have made Britain's consumers more budget-conscious. A survey conducted by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) showed that about 60 percent of adults were planning on cutting back on their Christmas spending compared with last year. People are buying fewer and less expensive food and gifts and eating out less.

Also, many restaurants were hit over the Christmas holiday by transport strikes, which prompted customers to cancel their dining plans in what normally was the busiest period of the year for restaurants.

The catering industry, Askew said, considered October through December as the golden quarter, when traditionally restaurants expected to generate up to a third, in some cases half, of their annual revenue. But the poor performance in this year's golden quarter has made the industry much more vulnerable.

According to a survey conducted in late October by UKHospitality, the British Beer and Pub Association, the British Institute of Innkeeping and Hospitality Ulster, more than a third of the hospitality sector is at risk of business failure in early 2023 due to the cost-of-doing-business crisis.

Eighty-nine percent of the respondents said they were either not confident or pessimistic that the current levels of support offered by the government would protect the industry in the next few months.

Askew urged the government to recalibrate its support for the hospitality and catering industry, for example, in its upcoming Spring Budget.

"I know people who've already given up their businesses or decided to close for the winter because they can't afford to heat them, or use the gas to cook on, which is incredibly bad for the economy."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Airstrip one to increase the monthly chocolate ration from 30 grams to 15 grams per citizen.

Don't overthink it. Trust the ministry of information.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I still don’t know what it means to “support Russia” as defined in the op. how is that defined? is it in contrast to supporting the us? supporting Ukraine? can you not support anyone? can you not support anyone and think Russia is acting rationally?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

chopper city posted:

"Of course"
"BUT"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vomik posted:

I still don’t know what it means to “support Russia” as defined in the op. how is that defined? is it in contrast to supporting the us? supporting Ukraine? can you not support anyone? can you not support anyone and think Russia is acting rationally?

Just don’t support the war, that’s it. Not supporting anyone and acknowledging that Russia is acting rationally is the correct position but I’m not going to mandate that everyone adopt it.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

well, duh. we exported capital (posts) to the other subforums in return for resources (gbs posters) which we utilize in the thread to create even more capital.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

"anti", opposed to, against

That the power perpetrating the act may or may not be an imperial power itself has no bearing on acting against an imperial power in turn

Ergo, anti-imperialist

Ah, the rare context-dependent antiautonym

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

bagual posted:

bagual posted:

Tl:dr on empire it's about trade, there were multiple european empires with exclusive trade routes towards their colonies, now the US Navy controls all maritime trade lanes simultaneously through enforcing the territorial and international waters system and force projects anywhere anytime, hence "the west" is an empire on a global scale and Russia is a regional actor, only one of those is a threat to everyone.

Oh and modern empires are fundamentally different from ancient ones due to the emergence of globalized trade and primitive capital accumulation leading to capitalism.

I wish people were able to understand actual useful Marxist theory and apply it to discussions with idiot liberals itt and write posts like this more often.

I usually give up on trying to teach useful definitions to liberals or people in general because I'm not good at it and I feel like I make more progress moving around terms that present a stumbling block like "imperialist" but I think this is a really good explanation of how the word should actually be used in a modern context.

chopper city
May 30, 2009

you in the choppa zone
where choppas is a must

Majorian posted:

Just don’t support the war, that’s it. Not supporting anyone and acknowledging that Russia is acting rationally is the correct position but I’m not going to mandate that everyone adopt it.

This is the stumbling block I see every day, you have enough critical thinking skills to see that Russia is acting in their best interests but you didn't notice the genocide against Russian people going on for the past 8 years? It's forgivable if you just haven't been exposed to the real facts about it, but once you have been I'd like to hear what the best outcome for Donbass peoples were supposed to be if the SMO never took place. Are you okay with Donetsk kindergardens and hospitals being bombed? Russian language and religions and music being banned? What would have been the breaking point for you that a war would be considered justifiable? Because they have already been murdering children and the elderly on the basis of their ethnicity

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

bagual posted:

kind of boring and obtuse and longwinded

This thread praised a man for explaining a nomogram so I say go at it if you want to. I'd also appreciate book recommendations on the subject.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I was trying to learn what imperialism was before a mod decided to start a 3 page derail.

The mods are imperialist.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

"Denazification" is a lot like the "War on Terror". Its very useful to have a strong moral justification for your actions, it encourages an easy "us vs them" attitude. But looking at the actual material outcomes of the war and what Russia's goals are, I don't think denazification is really their main goal. There's little material difference between Azov and the pro-Russia factions, they're both far-right capitalists, so the only difference ends up being over who's in power.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

supersnowman posted:

If Russia still holds the river bank all the way to the nuclear power plant, I'm pretty sure they also have the canal under their control. Ukraine might have shelled it but at worse they would have to clear whatever was blocking it and it would flow. Looking at google map, I think the canal starts just beside Nova Kakhovka.

The canal flows out of the reservoir so I guess if the forces of the Ukrainian state control the dam or blow it they could drain the reservoir and the canal would no longer flow.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Not So Fast posted:

I don't think denazification is really their main goal.

not so fast

Weka
May 5, 2019

Decided to do my own research and Tass is reporting Russia holds the Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant and it's still running, while being shelled.

https://tass.com/politics/1553601

Not So Fast posted:

"Denazification" is a lot like the "War on Terror". Its very useful to have a strong moral justification for your actions, it encourages an easy "us vs them" attitude. But looking at the actual material outcomes of the war and what Russia's goals are, I don't think denazification is really their main goal. There's little material difference between Azov and the pro-Russia factions, they're both far-right capitalists, so the only difference ends up being over who's in power.

One of them is the spearhead of a state which recently declared pogroming Roma to be direct democracy. As far as I can tell the other group mostly wishes to speak their language and not be shelled. One wishes to conquer the territory of the other, one's primary goal is their home not being controlled by nazis.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Tell you what, if you want commentry that isn't particularly one side or the other and doesn't put things in politically correct speak you consume a bit of Indian media.

Is it accurate or firebrand? Doesn't matter. It's outsiders looking at a dogfight being held in a scrapyard. Yes that's a metaphor.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Endman posted:

what about the lembas bread, smart guy? :colbert:

fikabröd

mlmp08 posted:

As I’ve said repeatedly, I think the invasion of Iraq was decidedly imperialist.

you used it as an argument, not for your own definition but against another

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

bagual posted:

Listen here bud, ever since WW2 there is a singular empire, the consortium of western europe captained by the US of which NATO is the umbrella organization, it exists to uphold white supremacy and do the work of colonial european empires of old, just dumping the wealth of the world into the unified western financial system instead of competing decrepit european monarchies.

Ukraine has been positioning itself as the easternmost land bulwark of the empire since the fascist putsch of 2014 (euromaidan), persecuting their eastern minorities in an ethnic cleansing project to fit into western nazifascist barbarism, hence Russia invading and denazifying Ukraine is anti-imperialist.

been saying this

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah i didn't use rump state correctly, i just meant it's going to be somehow in a worse state than Latvia, a country of dog people (people who are dogs)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DancingShade posted:

Tell you what, if you want commentry that isn't particularly one side or the other and doesn't put things in politically correct speak you consume a bit of Indian media.

Is it accurate or firebrand? Doesn't matter. It's outsiders looking at a dogfight being held in a scrapyard. Yes that's a metaphor.

oh man I saw a huge international panel hosted by indian Chris Hayes that ended with him yelling at the American representative it owned

edit:

about 5 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz-CCKuPgso

crepeface has issued a correction as of 12:53 on Dec 30, 2022

Weka
May 5, 2019

DancingShade posted:

I'm sick of the anti canine bigotry in CSPAM.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

oh man I saw a huge international panel hosted by indian Chris Hayes that ended with him telling at the American representative it owned

edit:

about 5 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz-CCKuPgso

lmao that's gold. Worth the watch for sure.

They picked the perfect arrogant american representative for that show. If that was a drama about period British empire with a pompous & demanding old coot in denial about the decline of empire reliving his glory days about gunboat diplomacy in the 19th century it would have been excellent casting.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 12:32 on Dec 30, 2022

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

chopper city posted:

This is the stumbling block I see every day, you have enough critical thinking skills to see that Russia is acting in their best interests but you didn't notice the genocide against Russian people going on for the past 8 years? It's forgivable if you just haven't been exposed to the real facts about it, but once you have been I'd like to hear what the best outcome for Donbass peoples were supposed to be if the SMO never took place. Are you okay with Donetsk kindergardens and hospitals being bombed? Russian language and religions and music being banned? What would have been the breaking point for you that a war would be considered justifiable? Because they have already been murdering children and the elderly on the basis of their ethnicity

"genocide" is a very strong word for what has been a fairly slow-burning civil war with five-digit dead over eight years. it's by no means obvious that a massive escalation to full conventional war was the best response *even if* one thinks that it was morally justified

generally, avoiding major wars should hold a high priority, because national wars are very bad and make everything worse for just about everyone

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

fikau

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DancingShade posted:

lmao that's gold. Worth the watch for sure.

They picked the perfect arrogant american representative for that show. If that was a drama about period British empire with a pompous & demanding old coot in denial about the decline of empire reliving his glory days about gunboat diplomacy in the 19th century it would have been excellent casting.

lol yea they got the perfect blowhard for the US rep.

also the only time i've seen daria dugina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

chopper city posted:

the Donbass peoples are still being bombed so the war doesn't seem to have helped much. Amongst other things, the reliance on the separatist militias to do so much fighting with poor results also suggests you shouldn't place much stock in the willingness of Russia to bother to do anything in the interests of the local population. Post 2014 there is probably not any good outcome for Donbass peoples that I can see.

Having said that, I think it might have been defensible, and at least would have limited the damage from the war and given Russia more moral authority, if they had limited the operation to guaranteeing the security of the republics, moving regular forces within their territory and acting from a defensive posture. A pro-Russian rebuttal to this might be that this would simply trigger more extremism and more Western arms being sent to the Kiev government, and that only toppling the Kiev government and installing a friendly one would have managed to secure the separatist regions in the long term, but they have failed to do this regardless.

V. Illych L. posted:

"genocide" is a very strong word for what has been a fairly slow-burning civil war with five-digit dead over eight years. it's by no means obvious that a massive escalation to full conventional war was the best response *even if* one thinks that it was morally justified

generally, avoiding major wars should hold a high priority, because national wars are very bad and make everything worse for just about everyone

also this