Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DancingShade posted:

I'd just like to thank Bagual and Majoran for having that discussion (agreement or not, we aren't a literal hive mind). People using nuanced positions to discuss topics or explore ideas is part of why we're all here.

I don’t get why it’s so hard to ask someone to elaborate on their position without using mod voice like that. That’s all we’re asking for. I think the posts bagul made were really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

"anti", opposed to, against

That the power perpetrating the act may or may not be an imperial power itself has no bearing on acting against an imperial power in turn

Ergo, anti-imperialist

Technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

how did the whole draft thing work out?

BULBASAUR posted:

yesterday I got visits to my two old Russian addresses by uniformed guys, I've officially been drafted

the post made it sound a like you didnt live there anymore but have not seen you post a lot so got a bit worried

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

war seems bad and the unrelenting cruelty of combat not so great

but without it posters will have lackluster arguments about imperialism that make one jump to last page

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don’t get why it’s so hard to ask someone to elaborate on their position without using mod voice like that. That’s all we’re asking for. I think the posts bagul made were really good.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
modbrain is a terrible and debilitating condition, but it can be cured by weaning the patient off their buttons over time

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1608822714386579456?s=20&t=fWfd1aHTLAQrV1FMqxIa-A

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

mlmp08

:thunk:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jenniferjjacobs/status/1608562430409601027?s=46&t=71xxLLR7XcPegxcIV7NgWg

predictably, a bunch of dudes very upset about the use of the term “light tank”

IFV vs tank isn’t on my pedantic hit-list, but it’s the one some people live for.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/venik44/status/1608797229548204038

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

https://twitter.com/jenniferjjacobs/status/1608562430409601027?s=46&t=71xxLLR7XcPegxcIV7NgWg

IFV vs tank isn’t on my pedantic hit-list, but it’s the one some people live for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Let's say it's an American "light" tank

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lie tank

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fun fact: also known as a ‘light tank’ with aluminum armor that tends to light on fire and burn horribly when shot

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

lobotomy molo posted:

fun fact: also known as a ‘light tank’ with aluminum armor that tends to light on fire and burn horribly when shot

So we are on the Tesla tank timeline?

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

haven't heard anything about this whole thing since like early November, anything been going on?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

tazjin posted:

haven't heard anything about this whole thing since like early November, anything been going on?

Everyone is taking a well deserved Christmas break

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genericnick posted:

now hold up, sure it’s a death trap abomination that should not exist but let’s not go too far with the insults

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

genericnick posted:

not the Tesla you're thinking of

the OTHER tesla

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

"anti", opposed to, against

That the power perpetrating the act may or may not be an imperial power itself has no bearing on acting against an imperial power in turn

Ergo, anti-imperialist

exactly, just like anti-nazifying. they’re opposing a nazifying process. it’s very simple really

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lobotomy molo posted:

Bradley is a funny way of spelling m551 Sheridan

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

lobotomy molo posted:

It does not "tend" to light on fire, but if the vehicle fuel or propellant does ignite, aluminum armors have lower melt points than steel, so they can melt down hard and leave a vehicle looking like matchbox car left on a radiator.

Similar effect with M113s, BMDs, BMPs, BTRs, and really any armored vehicle that wants to save weight vs steel and ceramics.

If your vehicle catches fire in any non-superficial way, I'd recommend bailing out, no matter who manufactured it. Because even with the lower aluminum or magnesium alloy melt points used by various vehicles, aluminum can handle fire better than humans can.

Various melty vehicles (no bodies)

Bradley

BMD-2

M113

BTR-90

Bonus BMD-1 - The exit doors double as fuel tanks...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

tazjin posted:

Russia has been smashing into Bakhmut since I dunno... August or September or something. Otherwise, it's cold, and a bunch of Ukraine's civil power infrastructure keeps getting blown up, then repaired, then blown up, then partially repaired, etc. Honestly, I'd check back in like February or something.

E: I guess the other update is we have now learned that Ukraine is engaged in an anti-capitalist war, trying to defeat the capitalist invasion force.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 16:15 on Dec 30, 2022

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Bradley is a funny way of spelling m551 Sheridan

both awful pieces of poo poo. the US MIC sure is something lmao

Joseph R Biden Jr
Nov 13, 2022

mlmp08 posted:

E: I guess the other update is we have now learned that Ukraine is engaged in an anti-capitalist war, trying to defeat the capitalist invasion force.

Ukraine will never defeat me.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

mlmp08 posted:

Russia has been smashing into Bakhmut since I dunno... August or September or something. Otherwise, it's cold, and a bunch of Ukraine's civil power infrastructure keeps getting blown up, then repaired, then blown up, then partially repaired, etc. Honestly, I'd check back in like February or something.

Ah yeah, that I do know about. I was at a wedding a few weeks ago, the bride was Ukrainian and some of her family is still in Ukraine and sent video greetings, some of them filmed basically in darkness with flashlights. I decided that asking why they couldn't film them while the sun was up was probably not socially acceptable, as all conversations there completely avoided the war topic.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

DancingShade posted:

I'd just like to thank Bagual and Majoran for having that discussion (agreement or not, we aren't a literal hive mind). People using nuanced positions to discuss topics or explore ideas is part of why we're all here.

im not. i hate the free marketplace of ideas and would prefer the lovely iks do their job

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Joseph R Biden Jr posted:

Ukraine will never defeat me.

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Keeping Ukraine out of nato is denazification bu itself

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

euphronius posted:

Keeping Ukraine out of nato is denazification bu itself

given the level of training, arms and intelligence sharing the ukrainian forces are part of nato in all but name so if they don't succeed in a complete regime change (which looks unlikely) russia's failed again

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yea if you ignore their success it seems like failure.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Ardennes posted:

Also, the Dnieper itself is simply too large to fully block, there are dams obviously on it but they have a finite reserve capacity.

Russia already blew up the dams, flooding downstream and killing everyone, just like we said they would

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

euphronius posted:

yea if you ignore their success it seems like failure.

what have they succeeded at?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

There was an interesting paper comparing American use of the Stuart in Italy and Normandy to the Commonwealth, but I forget where it was published. Anyways, the Americans emphasized light tank and got mauled fairly often. The Brits, New Zealanders, Canadians and South Africans emphasized light tank, usually took the turrets off, and made great use of them as recce vehicles with much lower losses.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Loving the media's :allears: stories about Ukraine "changing their history", for example, today I learned that Kyiv is changing another Russia-inspired street name in honor of Andy Warhol! No mention of the other streets for some reason. Much slava.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Reading about Stuart in the post-Trump era is funny because I always remember his first name is JEB!!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mila kunis posted:

what have they succeeded at?

ukriane is not in nato

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

SplitSoul posted:

Loving the media's :allears: stories about Ukraine "changing their history", for example, today I learned that Kyiv is changing another Russia-inspired street name in honor of Andy Warhol! No mention of the other streets for some reason. Much slava.

love to read celebrations of ethnic cleansing in my public news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zodium posted:

love to read celebrations of ethnic cleansing in my public news

Me too! Those are my tax kroner at work. :)

https://www-dr-dk.translate.goog/ny...&_x_tr_pto=wapp