Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

X-O posted:

Also, whoever keeps pasting the multiverse graphic into panels like this needs to be relieved of duty. Sorry, it's dumb. And it's not just this artist, it seems to be an editorial thing.

I remember hating it when they started photoshopping real images of Earth into panels in Infinite Crisis; this feels sort of worse but also exactly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

X-O posted:

This is well and true and is indeed the best path forward.

BUT.

DC doesn't seem content to let us do that. They are the ones that always have to 'fix' it and push the issue. Nobody was out there saying 'Goddammit we need the infinite multiverse back' before Dark Crisis or the other however many times they were supposed to have brought it back. The only time there was an actual push to 'fix' anything was when they hosed it up by doing the New 52. And they've now 'fixed' that three or four times. Convergence was... whatever. Rebirth was good! Infinite Frontier was fine! We're good now. Let it breathe!
Defenders Beyond #4, although not DC, seems to be direct commentary on this at one point.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

This is well and true and is indeed the best path forward.

BUT.

DC doesn't seem content to let us do that. They are the ones that always have to 'fix' it and push the issue. Nobody was out there saying 'Goddammit we need the infinite multiverse back' before Dark Crisis or the other however many times they were supposed to have brought it back. The only time there was an actual push to 'fix' anything was when they hosed it up by doing the New 52. And they've now 'fixed' that three or four times. Convergence was... whatever. Rebirth was good! Infinite Frontier was fine! We're good now. Let it breathe!

I haven't read a DC event since like Flashpoint beyond some of the Convergence tie-ins and know what? It's been fine! I just read the books that interest me and ignore the ones that don't, and as long as I keep abreast of "hey this is the original Superman again" it's mostly not a big deal.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think Flashpointe just merged DC/Vertigo/Wildstorm. Forgot what Pandora's deal was.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Just caught up on like a year's worth of Nightwing. Incredible.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Just caught up on like a year's worth of Nightwing. Incredible.

I also did this, which was fun! But now I don't have any more Tom Taylor Nightwing to read. :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

frameset posted:

I also did this, which was fun! But now I don't have any more Tom Taylor Nightwing to read. :smith:

Not DC, but his All New Wolverine has some similar vibes and there's 35 issues of it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
There were too many batman related books in 1993

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Reading Nightwing did leave me with a question: when did Huntress get back? Is this the Helena that was Nightwing's boss when he was a secret agent and now she's doing superhero stuff again?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

Reading Nightwing did leave me with a question: when did Huntress get back? Is this the Helena that was Nightwing's boss when he was a secret agent and now she's doing superhero stuff again?

Well uh

Don't worry about it

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

Mr Hootington posted:

There were too many batman related books in 1993

Worse than it is now? Seems like 80% of current DC titles are bat-family

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Well uh

Don't worry about it

That good, huh? I'm happy she's back. Or never left? Whatever, it's fine.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

srypher posted:

Worse than it is now? Seems like 80% of current DC titles are bat-family

There was 8 batman related books in 1993. It gets worse from here.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Well uh

Don't worry about it

If something in DC doesn’t make sense just remember Dr Manhattan did it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Just remember that Everything Matters!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

For real though, Huntress right now is a mess. It's hard to say what her history is since they kind of completely changed her character with the reboots.

Plus now you have Johns writing another Huntress in JSA.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Finished reading Batman: Son of the Demon and woof that is a bad book. I get the vibe that it was written before post CoIE set more firmly the Batman we know and love but his "no killing" rule seemed abandoned every other page. The courtship with Talia is hilariously rushed with Ra's saying you have to team up with me, Batman agreeing, and Ra's saying now that we have teamed up you are wed to my daughter. The whole story is just so badly paced and written.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

For real though, Huntress right now is a mess. It's hard to say what her history is since they kind of completely changed her character with the reboots.

Plus now you have Johns writing another Huntress in JSA.

That's Helena Wayne though and basically something recurring from the OG Earth-2 or other parallel earths where Batman and Catwoman get together.

Bertinelli is indeed the same person who was Nightwing's boss while he was in Spyral. As part of DC Rebirth and tying up that whole plot thread, Huntress ends up leaving Spyral. Huntress basically reunites with the BoP and then in the Fear State event, gets attacked by a parasitic monster that feeds off of fear or something (I forget) and she ends up being able to sense fear. Idk if she's gotten over that yet as that's basically where her involvement's kinda ended.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wonder Woman Historia is the best comic of the year and I immediately right now need the next whole volume :sludgepal:

(Okay fine X-Men Red also exists so like. Best comic other than that, okay? Best DC Comic for sure)

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That's an interesting way to get the secret identity back. I didn't hate it but it felt rushed.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Folks...it happened to me! I started reading Champion of Shazam (Doc Shaner in a Shazam book is always just *chef's kiss*) but because this is the new Shazam (all the different kids are different shazams, Billy is the Wizard now, Mary being the older sister (and not blood related, so she has different parents) different Shazam rules, etc.) and I didn't like it because it was not MY Captain Marvel.

Is this what getting old feels like?

Edit: Also read "Birth of the Demon", the old Batman GN about the origin of Ra's Al-Ghul, which was a fun time.

Edit 2:

BrianWilly posted:

Wonder Woman Historia is the best comic of the year and I immediately right now need the next whole volume :sludgepal:
It's such a gorgeous book! Nikola Scott is knocking it out of the park.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 29, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Legends of the Dark Knight #53
Alfred Hitchcock as the penguin

Here is the entire page.

I think Jerry Lewis is the riddler

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gives me more of a Bob Hope vibe.

Bogart for Two-Face and Bacall/Kate Hepburn for Catwoman?

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I’m seeing Cagney more in that Two Face.

Love that art, who is it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I've finally started KnightFall. 6 issues in and drat these are good reads.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ok so I've finished knightfall and need to know where the was Nightwing aka dick Grayson? The huntress appears in the crossover, but Alfred or tim never call Dick?

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/mattlaslo/status/1610346549888057346?s=46&t=wLUzmzI52sbk6iA6ShZ4Yg

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Ok so I've finished knightfall and need to know where the was Nightwing aka dick Grayson? The huntress appears in the crossover, but Alfred or tim never call Dick?

I think there is a throwaway line about it in Knightquest about why Dick isn't anywhere, thrown in with why JPV was picked over Grayson.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

I think there is a throwaway line about it in Knightquest about why Dick isn't anywhere, thrown in with why JPV was picked over Grayson.

Ok I haven't read knightquest yet. Lmao though at Dick's and Barbara's glaring absences.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I want some edgelord to swear in on V for Vendetta. We have millennials and Gen Z congress people, do the needful.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

Tim argues for Dick to be Batman but Bruce is like "Dick would only be Batman reluctantly" and sure enough later Dick's actually irritated he wasn't asked.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Wasn't Titans Hunt going on then? One can understand Dick wanting out of that storyline, but in-world he probably wouldn't leave his team in the lurch.

Trying to remember, was Barbara Oracling for the Suicide Squad then? I think she started doing that for the Batfamily during or right after the KnightF/Q/E timeframe.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Knightfall was such a great event for the time because it made the inmates escaping Arkham a big deal (instead of now when that is considered a Tuesday in Gotham). Also I am not sure if you read it but there is a trade that is a leadup to Knightfall where it shows Bruce being already put through the ringer before the big escape happens so he is really burnt up before he has capture all the crazies. Taking this into consideration and all the stuff he is put through it kind of makes sense that his decision making wasn't the greatest.
I do like how Knightfall ends with "well JPV seems a bit unhinged and over the top violent, but he did put a beating on Bane so we guess he is alright". Even Robin, who JPV treats with a mixture of ambivalence and outright hostility is kind of okay with the ending.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Knightfall was such a great event for the time because it made the inmates escaping Arkham a big deal (instead of now when that is considered a Tuesday in Gotham). Also I am not sure if you read it but there is a trade that is a leadup to Knightfall where it shows Bruce being already put through the ringer before the big escape happens so he is really burnt up before he has capture all the crazies. Taking this into consideration and all the stuff he is put through it kind of makes sense that his decision making wasn't the greatest.
I do like how Knightfall ends with "well JPV seems a bit unhinged and over the top violent, but he did put a beating on Bane so we guess he is alright". Even Robin, who JPV treats with a mixture of ambivalence and outright hostility is kind of okay with the ending.

Yes I read those. Bruce was already falling apart when Bane decided to break him.

I do miss some of the characters that were around at this time, but the riddler is regulated to a joke role specially because he doesn't murder.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Re-reading JLA/JSA: Vice and Virtue, man what a great condensed book. Everyone feels important, Johnny Sorrow and Despero were great pulls to have as villains during a President Luthor era of comics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly most of the 90s Batman events are actually pretty solid.

Except no man’s land I really don’t like that one

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jiro posted:

Re-reading JLA/JSA: Vice and Virtue, man what a great condensed book. Everyone feels important, Johnny Sorrow and Despero were great pulls to have as villains during a President Luthor era of comics.

It’s a great bridge to get JLA fans into the JSA. Worked on me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thranguy posted:

Wasn't Titans Hunt going on then? One can understand Dick wanting out of that storyline, but in-world he probably wouldn't leave his team in the lurch.

Trying to remember, was Barbara Oracling for the Suicide Squad then? I think she started doing that for the Batfamily during or right after the KnightF/Q/E timeframe.

I went and checked and nightwing was doing gently caress all during the knightfall storyline and Barbara was done working for suicide squad by then.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DC didn't know what to do with Nightwing forever, and even then he's only been really made to be really important these few years.

Like I think most of his existence has been this guy they don't know what to do with so they shuffle him off to another city and that's it. They even wanted to kill him off. And who can forget Ric Grayson.

I'm glad he's finally getting the spotlight. He should be the guy everyone looks up to and is inspired by, even more than Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

If I'm to swear in on a symbol it shall be one I respect