Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

They come in handing when neighbouring buildings explode. Recommend everyone get MS Teams on their phone.

Speaking of, apparently you're gonna need a D365 account to use MS Office on DWAN computers, so they should probably sort that out anyway.

My supervisors are dogwater, are being investigated again for management failures, and they are critically understaffed.

This is legit just my bosses being dumb as gently caress and disconnected harder than my bell router in 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'm not sure if this question is answerable, but it's been a curiosity: Do we still have any active-use Leopard 1A4 models, for training or otherwise?
I noticed what I thought was one in a training video on the website, but obviously I can't just go find that base and look in the garage.

Semi-relatedly do we actually do any training with the leopards or are they just polished up in garages year round.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I dont know about leopard 1s, pretty sure thats a big no, though.

As for sitting in a garage doing nothing... lmao, lol.

The cf can't afford to buy things to sit in a garage. Id be more surprised if we had tanks sitting unused than i would be if we were short tanks

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

My Spirit Otter posted:

The cf can't afford to buy things to sit in a garage.

not true, we still have LSVWs

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

In the ls' defence, thats a maintenance garage and not a storage garage.

The 6 hours a year those things are serviceable, they get used.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I remember that when the Afghanistan mission began to draw down storage space of any description in the CF suddenly became extremely scarce in Gagetown and in the armouries in the communities around it. I'd be shocked if we had Leopard 1s of any sort still kicking around in storage.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Sticky floor this Fridayyyyyyyyyyyyy

First one in a while. I'm might rent transient quarters so I don't have to stumble home this year. It's what her majesty would have wanted.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My Old Man wants me to go back for a Masters of War Studies at RMC. Does anyone know much about the program and how it compares to Defence Studies?

It could be interesting, but I don't know what the point would be other than more pensionable time hidden in the nooks and crannies of the big green machine. I kinda hate that that's what my life decisions are coming down to. Also, from what you guys are saying, finding excuses to stay in Kingston is something I should make a priority.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 22, 2022

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There’s value in having a masters just to say you have a masters, when it comes to job applications. Especially in the public service.

And like you said, it’s pensionable time.

Plus Master of War sounds rad as hell.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

FrozenVent posted:

There’s value in having a masters just to say you have a masters, when it comes to job applications. Especially in the public service.

This has not been my experience thus far.

Not moving to Canada, though.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Having a Masters is a big merit for promotion.

At least, it was in the few boards I saw.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Also, from what you guys are saying, finding excuses to stay in Kingston is something I should make a priority.

I mean, Toast & Jam out by Bath/Gardiner is pretty good, and so are the Portuguese custard tarts at Crave...

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Canuck-Errant posted:

I mean, Toast & Jam out by Bath/Gardiner is pretty good, and so are the Portuguese custard tarts at Crave...

I really do hope I get posted back to Kingston.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

In the Canadian public service it is a big plus and absolutely necessary for any director level positions in larger government organizations.

Certificates are generally worth very little in and of themselves but are good for learning stuff you can regurgitate in interviews if you do project management or whatever.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

my morning jackass posted:

In the Canadian public service it is a big plus and absolutely necessary for any director level positions in larger government organizations.

Hizawk posted:

I really do hope I get posted back to Kingston.

Alright, thanks guys. That's kind of what I figured since it would open up more Civil Service job codes, Kingston is nice, and I can now be The Guy who brings up Waterloo in every weekly meeting.

Just out of curiosity, how did you all make out with the Christmas and New Years flight program this year? I can't imagine anyone's getting out of Esquimalt or Comox, Trenton seems to be getting hammered by that storm.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Alright, thanks guys. That's kind of what I figured since it would open up more Civil Service job codes, Kingston is nice, and I can now be The Guy who brings up Waterloo in every weekly meeting.

Just out of curiosity, how did you all make out with the Christmas and New Years flight program this year? I can't imagine anyone's getting out of Esquimalt or Comox, Trenton seems to be getting hammered by that storm.

The vis might be unacceptable in comox, but the wind doesn't seem bad atm.
I can think of at least one director in the public service that likely doesn't have a masters degree, but rather, a master mariner certificate of competency. Probably about equivalent.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Rip me I guess

Then again, seeing the poo poo directors put up with, that may not be a bad thing

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

B33rChiller posted:

The vis might be unacceptable in comox, but the wind doesn't seem bad atm.
I can think of at least one director in the public service that likely doesn't have a masters degree, but rather, a master mariner certificate of competency. Probably about equivalent.

Any dickhead can pull off an an MBA; in fact many do. You've actually got to be good at what you do to get a master mariner certificate.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fearless posted:

You've actually got to be good at what you do to get a master mariner certificate.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahhahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Deep breath

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fearless posted:

Any dickhead can pull off an an MBA; in fact many do. You've actually got to be good at what you do to get a master mariner certificate.

Hey we probably have acquaintances in common.

A lot of Transport Canada jobs essentially only require a master mariner / chief mate unrestricted / second class engineer / fishing master 1, but usually by the time you get to director level they’ll also get a bachelor at least.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

Rip me I guess

Then again, seeing the poo poo directors put up with, that may not be a bad thing

you can always get in to some departments with equivalent experience but they will expect, and usually pay for, you to go get one eventually. The 18 month online ones are the ticket here. the less prestigious departments are usually a nice entry way and it’s all the same pay anyways. my experience is more health services based where fed jobs are less common than provincial ones so ymmv

Having French is a huge plus even provincially.

doesn’t vac give a ton of Ed money on release for RegF or is this just for the “I ate the napkin from my ration” set who need education after release for the safety of civil society.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh no I'm already on that one, it just doesn't do a whole hell of a lot for you if you lack executive function

e: plus i may be approaching the "top-end at any education level" step in my current bargaining group anyway, which means my main motivatoin for finishing my bac now is not wanting to have to pay that money back

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 24, 2022

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Having French is a huge plus even provincially.

I had a discussion with my old CO about this. They weren't raised bilingually, but did enough Second-Language Training in the RegF to advance. They were posted to SJS in Ottawa, and every meeting—at every level, even up to the CDS—was done in English, despite everyone needing a French language profile to get to those rank levels.

I wish I appreciated how much a check-in-the-box French was, when I was younger.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

And then you get one franco subordinate who exercises their right to have their docs written up in their OL and eeeeeeeeeeverybody has to do a lot of paperwork really fast. It's easier to just be ready

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

doesn’t vac give a ton of Ed money on release for RegF or is this just for the “I ate the napkin from my ration” set who need education after release for the safety of civil society.

They send a Maj I know to loving Oxford but most Jrs I know had to fight tooth and nail to go to Algonquin, so it's one of those things where your VAC experience may vary in ways suspiciously similar to you rank.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

"Veteran's Education Benefit" and is a genuinely good benefit from what I can tell, everyone is entitled to it after six years ($40k, $5k/semester), and entitled to twice the amount after 12 years ($80k max, $10k/semester).

stevobob fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 7, 2023

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I think it's pegged to CPI as well, the figure was up to 83k or so a couple years ago iirc.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Does the CAF use the term Butterbar or do we have our own home-brew for 2nd. Lt?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

"Hey! Shithead!"

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Crossposting from the CanPol thread, but I'm still half-sure this is what happened.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I saw Top Gun 2, and now we need these planes. - PWGSC, probably

Thank you Tom Cruise, for nudging our F-35 procurement.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

it's funny because the F-35 is specifically called out for not being able to do the job due to "GPS Jamming" so they have to pull in the ancient Superhornets to get the mission done.

The superhornets which are significantly more capable than our archaic legacy hornets

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but Boeing did that thing with the C-Series jets and Bombardier and people are still sore

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

restart the Avro project you coward.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

MA-Horus posted:

it's funny because the F-35 is specifically called out for not being able to do the job due to "GPS Jamming" so they have to pull in the ancient Superhornets to get the mission done.

The superhornets which are significantly more capable than our archaic legacy hornets

Sorry to be That Guy but this is drifting into "not even wrong" level of take.

E. Unless it's trying to make a point that is far removed from the original data and context, but as written I can confidently disagree.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 12, 2023

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Guest2553 posted:

Sorry to be That Guy but this is drifting into "not even wrong" level of take.

E. Unless it's trying to make a point that is far removed from the original data and context, but as written I can confidently disagree.

More just cracking a joke about how old our bugs are

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MA-Horus posted:

More just cracking a joke about how old our bugs are

The Hornets are vintage and also my friends (except the duals, they're all assholes)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I got my offer today, they're sending me into an artillery company.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WHAT?!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I SAID
THEY ACCEPTED ME AS AN OFFICER
INTO AN AR-TIL-ER-Y COMPANY

DID YOU FORGET YOUR HEARING AID AGAIN GRANDPA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ask for shilo