Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Feeling pretty proud of these armiger legs, but i do want to take suggestions on how to shade these bad boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Feeling pretty proud of these armiger legs, but i do want to take suggestions on how to shade these bad boys

That purple is so clean and pure and and everything is spot on, it looks really good, I would be really light and careful with shading, one mistake keep making is slathering alot of wash and shade but that makes the color too dark, I would strongly encourage you to make youre shading as light and wash as light and selective as possible, that purple is so luscious I could eat off of it and it would be a shame to make it too muddy.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Oil wash that bad boy imo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I finished my first Krieg Veteran, I got as far as possible before it's time to move on before I cake the thing too much, as a proof of concept for the overall colors I think I have a good idea, however working on this pointed out to me that I have almost no variety in my blue colors, it's all prussian and flat blue, even the flourescent is too dark, I will absolutely buy a couple more blue colors when I can to get the right saturation and brightness, definitely gonna pause the krieg and wait for those different blues before trying again. overall I'm happy with it.

I also really need to figure out a better system for the eyes, I tried putting gold under the spiritstone red technical but it doesnt have the real depth and oomph you see in better painted models and eyes.

Anyways, I'll try a couple different things on the next Veteran, if you have any advice or criticism I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I dont know why my phone decided to add such a strong warm tone to everything, it really took away alot of the richness of color.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

I would either glaze darker towards the bottom of the panels and lighter towards the top (longest amount of time), or maybe do an interior hightlight line on each panel (so just inside of the gold trim), or perhaps just weather the bottom half-ish of the legs with whatever weathering techniques you want. If you are going to wash the whole thing I'd really work to have my brushstrokes going downwards and build your darkening wash downwards in multiple layers and don't go all over, slowly work your way down so it builds thicker towards the bottom.

edit: you could also hit those rivets with highlights either painted a lighter purple or metallic depending on perference, and possibly those feet/toes should be edge highlighted, washed, weathered in some way.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

I finished my first Krieg Veteran, I got as far as possible before it's time to move on before I cake the thing too much, as a proof of concept for the overall colors I think I have a good idea, however working on this pointed out to me that I have almost no variety in my blue colors, it's all prussian and flat blue, even the flourescent is too dark, I will absolutely buy a couple more blue colors when I can to get the right saturation and brightness, definitely gonna pause the krieg and wait for those different blues before trying again. overall I'm happy with it.

I also really need to figure out a better system for the eyes, I tried putting gold under the spiritstone red technical but it doesnt have the real depth and oomph you see in better painted models and eyes.

Anyways, I'll try a couple different things on the next Veteran, if you have any advice or criticism I would greatly appreciate it.

Also I dont know why my phone decided to add such a strong warm tone to everything, it really took away alot of the richness of color.

Maybe for the eyes you can do a deeper red over a black and not fully paint the eye so the red fades into black?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If I could make a separate suggestion, the trousers may look more natural in a more tan or khaki color.

One thing I've noticed in models I like is that color coding the different materials helps convert their texture. You've somewhat done this, with the blue for leather, the brown for his coat, etc.

You've used that exact yellow over two different armored surfaces already, so it's just a little confusing visually.

It's not a big concern, and your scheme is looking pretty great as is.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

moths posted:

If I could make a separate suggestion, the trousers may look more natural in a more tan or khaki color.

One thing I've noticed in models I like is that color coding the different materials helps convert their texture. You've somewhat done this, with the blue for leather, the brown for his coat, etc.

You've used that exact yellow over two different armored surfaces already, so it's just a little confusing visually.

It's not a big concern, and your scheme is looking pretty great as is.

Yeah! trousers are supposed to be tan and khaki! I lll see if i can fix it up a little more, i mustve done something wrong with the color mixing...

What are the two armor pieces that are confusing? One thing im confused by is thag the camera isnt communicating that the shoulder pads, helmet trim and wrists are all gold color.... its genuinely confusing why my phone camera os acting like this...

Thanks for your advice! Ill try to find a better way to make light brown into khakhi or tan!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Al-Saqr posted:

I just wanted to say that your color scheme is fuckin sick as hell, the warm browns and rich blue pop off so well against each other, and the black helmet just works

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Silhouette posted:

I just wanted to say that your color scheme is fuckin sick as hell, the warm browns and rich blue pop off so well against each other, and the black helmet just works

Yeah this. Between these and those amazing purple Saints Row robot legs this page is making me very happy.

I am a good visual artist and a terrible mini painter and I love being a beginner at stuff. You learn so much.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Thanks dude, i think overall i have a really good and solid design, now its about tightening up and figuring out the overall best formula for the rest, i think though i will order a few more richer and slightly lighter shades of blue and see how that affects things.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Al-Saqr posted:

What are the two armor pieces that are confusing? One thing im confused by is thag the camera isnt communicating that the shoulder pads, helmet trim and wrists are all gold color.... its genuinely confusing why my phone camera os acting like this...

On my phone it looks like the shoulders and then a strip above the visor are the same yellow as his trousers - it might be your camera then.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Spent most of last year not able to afford basically anything, then got a new job. Got my air brush working for priming and 90-ish percent of the paints I want. Really want to finally finish the Tyarnid army I started in like the mid 90s.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

tangy yet delightful posted:

I would either glaze darker towards the bottom of the panels and lighter towards the top (longest amount of time),

You can do the opposite too, just highlighting whatever edge is protruding out furthest. Like this (not mine):

I've found success with this approach. Light to dark was easiest. I highlight the edges then glaze down towards recessed areas (whether they're at the top or bottom). Also this Trovarion vid helped me a lot.

I'm always interested in how other people approach this bc it seems like 80-90% of minis most people paint are typically humanoid and have lots of texture and curvature, whereas Battletech minis (which I paint) are vaguely humanoid collections of flat surfaces and blocky armor plates. I have yet to find a straightforward guide to shading these surfaces (aside from the helpful image showing zenithal, illuminated panels, and modulation, which appears to be inspired by the Mig Jiminez book that has excellent examples but is slim on theory) and it seems like a lot of painters, including Duncan Rhodes, simply gloss over it entirely and focus instead on weathering or edge highlighting.

After painting a bunch of these robots the only advice I feel confident saying is that you can't just throw contrasts on it and call it done. It'll collect in weird places, even if you babysit it. By the time you've ironed out these pools, you've basically just applied a filter, and there are ways to do this that don't require babysitting. Contrast and washes is good for shading recesses, and this is what Duncan Rhodes does, but he has to apply another basecoat afterwards to bring up the contrast and paper over the mess.

I'm in the middle of an Ice Ferret now where I tried a few things and I'll post when I'm done to get feedback, but I'm interested in what other people do in the meantime.

Calhanol
Apr 27, 2010

Mr Teatime posted:

This may be a stupid question but did it pump up to its cut out pressure then stop? Is there pressure in the tank?

It doesn't even have a tank so just pumps continuously. I am trying out brush priming on a model kit I have and doing my first paint project with it before I go onto minatures proper and so far it seems to work alright brushing the army painter air primer straight on. Takes time, but after some consideration, it might be better because I don't want to add paint dust to the room I am working it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

You can do the opposite too, just highlighting whatever edge is protruding out furthest. Like this (not mine):

I've found success with this approach. Light to dark was easiest. I highlight the edges then glaze down towards recessed areas (whether they're at the top or bottom). Also this Trovarion vid helped me a lot.

I'm always interested in how other people approach this bc it seems like 80-90% of minis most people paint are typically humanoid and have lots of texture and curvature, whereas Battletech minis (which I paint) are vaguely humanoid collections of flat surfaces and blocky armor plates. I have yet to find a straightforward guide to shading these surfaces (aside from the helpful image showing zenithal, illuminated panels, and modulation, which appears to be inspired by the Mig Jiminez book that has excellent examples but is slim on theory) and it seems like a lot of painters, including Duncan Rhodes, simply gloss over it entirely and focus instead on weathering or edge highlighting.

After painting a bunch of these robots the only advice I feel confident saying is that you can't just throw contrasts on it and call it done. It'll collect in weird places, even if you babysit it. By the time you've ironed out these pools, you've basically just applied a filter, and there are ways to do this that don't require babysitting. Contrast and washes is good for shading recesses, and this is what Duncan Rhodes does, but he has to apply another basecoat afterwards to bring up the contrast and paper over the mess.

I'm in the middle of an Ice Ferret now where I tried a few things and I'll post when I'm done to get feedback, but I'm interested in what other people do in the meantime.

Yes! Yes thats the lens look im trying to go for! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I just downloaded the citadel color app, its a handy guide for finding out and guessing the right color combos for that look even if youre gonna get the paint from others, to me, the colors that represent the blues i want is celestium, asurmen and teclis. Good to know!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 30, 2022

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Just have to finish the back of the torso and this warglaive is done until i decide how i want to shade it

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the damage for everyone this year in terms of putting paint on models? I don't mean assembling and priming, I mean like, working on a model enough to be "done with it for the time being"

I looked over my blog and it looks like I've "done" 87 this year....I have a small amount of Tyranids (26) and Chaos Marines (13) sitting on my desk I should probably do to close out the year with a bang...if I can find the time...

So, rather than counting each individual character, I'll just count the number of strips I'd had on popsicle sticks that are now fully based and varnished. Between my full army and the four heroes I have painted and based (but waiting for warmer weather to varnish and flock), all in all I managed to bang out 72 strips of minis in 2022. Honestly, a whole helluva lot more than I thought I'd do, but definitely not all of what I actually need to get done. There's also every mini in the Hasbro re-release of Heroquest released so far that I need to prime and paint as well, which is going to be way harder to do since I'm so used to doing 10mm now.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Praise Hail Satan, wip. Haven't painted in a couple of weeks and my brush control is out the window. Not even going to try eyes at this stage. Busts are fun though, strongly recommend for anyone looking to paint something different.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

Just have to finish the back of the torso and this warglaive is done until i decide how i want to shade it

Looks great! Very clean, I’m jealous of your brush control

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Got my octarius terrain sprues from the goddamn germans! :woop:

Really wonderful looking terrain so happy i got it half off

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I went and bought a McFarlane Ogryn Artist's Proof version, ie. a 23cm tall Ogryn. For painting. This thing is so huge that I'll kinda need to re-learn a bunch of stuff, chiefly how to paint skin properly. I remember once seeing a tutorial for how to paint realistic looking skin on busts etc, but damned if I can find anything now. Can anyone think of good tutorials to look at?

This Kings of War Giant is the biggest humanoid model I've ever done previously, and while the skin turned out OK, I could do better. I want to do better.

(turns out I only have WIP shots of the guy, and it's too dark by far to photograph anything now in Finland)

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I notice the OP doesn't have any info on it, but have people found good ways to organize pieces of wildly different sizes / categories / etc? Preferably portable, but I have both my painting station at home and D&D games I travel to and am trying to find a good solution (or set of solutions).

I'm using a random dewalt toolbox atm because it has good deep containers for some larger pieces, but it doesn't let me categorize very well.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Skyl3lazer posted:

I notice the OP doesn't have any info on it, but have people found good ways to organize pieces of wildly different sizes / categories / etc? Preferably portable, but I have both my painting station at home and D&D games I travel to and am trying to find a good solution (or set of solutions).

I'm using a random dewalt toolbox atm because it has good deep containers for some larger pieces, but it doesn't let me categorize very well.

I glue magnets under my bases, then you can either use metal biscuit tins (or assorted other tins they sell for craft stuff but big ones that would fit tall minis get pricier than you'd think) or glue a steel baking sheet (or cut steel sheet, or some people have used flexible magnetic sheets they use for sticking temporary logos on vans but I havent tried that myself) into the bottom of a plastic tub. You can buy the tubs with the lids that lock on and are stackable in a wide variety of heights. I'm not really sure what you mean by catagorise tbh, but you could have a different tub for whatever catagories you want?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

SiKboy posted:

I glue magnets under my bases, then you can either use metal biscuit tins (or assorted other tins they sell for craft stuff but big ones that would fit tall minis get pricier than you'd think) or glue a steel baking sheet (or cut steel sheet, or some people have used flexible magnetic sheets they use for sticking temporary logos on vans but I havent tried that myself) into the bottom of a plastic tub. You can buy the tubs with the lids that lock on and are stackable in a wide variety of heights. I'm not really sure what you mean by catagorise tbh, but you could have a different tub for whatever catagories you want?

I use the flexible magnetic sheets stuck to the bottom of plastic storage bins. The strength of the hold definitely is weaker than to sheet metal, but it's been more than sufficient for my needs.

Molrok
May 30, 2011

My magnets + looted cookie tin solution.

The large (ork) bases are slightly taller so the force holding them is a bit weaker than on the smaller (grot hanging on the side, the blue squig orb), so if you got heavy models you'll want add something to make the magnets flush with the bottom edge of the base.

Molrok fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 30, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
The flushness of the magnet to the bottom of the base definitely matters. You can use green stuff to provide some backing, or just buy flush-fit base magnets that are made the right thickness for GW bases: https://themagnetbaron.com/products/gw-flush-fit-base-magnets-large

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Set your magnets into hot glue on the underside of your bases then immediately stick them to metal sheets with wax paper on top for easier removal when the glue hardens.

That's how you get flush fit regardless of base or magnet size (well assuming your magnets aren't thicker than the base to start with.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Skyl3lazer posted:

I notice the OP doesn't have any info on it, but have people found good ways to organize pieces of wildly different sizes / categories / etc?

I have a lot of 'Mechs, so I got a cheap wineglass storage box (meant for moving, primarily) with canvas sides and a decent bottom and three layers of 3" pluck-apart foam. It's overkill but it keeps my robits well protected in transport.

I'm going to need at least one more. :D

It's not the toughest and one of the zippers has already died, but it's square-sided and light which means no wasted volume (other than my own poor foam-plucking choices)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
In the grim darkness of the far future, there are only Baby Bjorns

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I have spent like six hours just on this drat axe. (And this picture isn't even quite finished, I missed two barnacles that I spotted in the pic and fixed afterward, and the bones won't be finished off until I assemble the mini.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

I like this. It looks like you went to get cookies only to find some orks had krumped all the biscuits.

In the grim darkness of the far future there are only crumbs

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I’m not sure you’ll be able to see this little guy once the face is on, but I’ll know he’s in there, piloting the squig

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NinjaDebugger posted:

I have spent like six hours just on this drat axe. (And this picture isn't even quite finished, I missed two barnacles that I spotted in the pic and fixed afterward, and the bones won't be finished off until I assemble the mini.

This is a great-looking axe though to be fair

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Low effort paint jobs mean low effort pictures. Grinding through my pile of shame to finish halfway completed units

Impulsor

5th bladeguard vet to have a squad of them ride in the impulsor. I've had 4 painted up for like 2 years now and finally felt like painting the last one

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sick. I love the snow inside the troop compartment.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Sick. I love the snow inside the troop compartment.

AK snow and snow sprinkles are actually way better than I thought they would be once I figured out how to use them

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

tangy yet delightful posted:

Set your magnets into hot glue on the underside of your bases then immediately stick them to metal sheets with wax paper on top for easier removal when the glue hardens.

That's how you get flush fit regardless of base or magnet size (well assuming your magnets aren't thicker than the base to start with.

I put the magnets down on the metal first, put the hot glue on the magnet, then put the mini down on that.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Probably my last mini of the year:

He's a loxodon wizard from Stonehaven, but I'm using him as my Circle of Stars druid.

Definitely a lot of stuff I should have don't differently, but I've also have the added fun of dealing with food poisoning or something all week, so... I just don't care. It's done, and that's what matters most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

There's been a space marines kill team sitting on my desk, unpainted, for like months now. I don't want to paint them as Minotaurs like the rest of my army but I also can't really find a color scheme that interests me enough to pursue it. I'd do Lamenters but I have no good way of doing the checkerboard. Any suggestions?