Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Postman
May 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1608922473839620096

Excited to see how this breaks things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

And this adds no value to Twitter whatsoever.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

And this adds no value to Twitter whatsoever.

Right? Dude isn't thinking about making money, he just wants poo poo he'll use before the whole thing implodes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Less Fat Luke posted:

Elon loves using Japan as an example of a dire shrinking population while ignoring the extremely obvious fact that they barely allow any immigration.

Well it's not like he'll admit that immigration is going to solve anything. He's put way too much effort into getting the right on his side.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

E the Shaggy posted:

Right? Dude isn't thinking about making money, he just wants poo poo he'll use before the whole thing implodes.

He is, again, thinking he bought a tech company and not a social media network.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i mean they might be different types of tweets but this is already how twitter works so i have no idea how this is exciting.

you know how people hate when company's change around their design because they're use to the old one?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

Yeah I am honestly pretty curious if our Feds got involved since one of the women was an American citizen. Couldn't happen to a better guy honestly. Can't wait to see everyone on the right who platformed him because he was a "real man" just put their fingers in their ears and pretend this didn't happen
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1596
Looks like the federal laws on trafficking do allow for extraterritorial jurisdiction in some cases. But there are limitations if a foreign jurisdiction is prosecuting the same crime.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

the one thing that was keeping twitter from greatness. really nailed it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

waffle iron posted:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1596
Looks like the federal laws on trafficking do allow for extraterritorial jurisdiction in some cases. But there are limitations if a foreign jurisdiction is prosecuting the same crime.
I mean that seems like something that can get resolved in 30 years when he gets out of Romanian prison

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Waste to energy is pretty big in Sweden though isn’t it?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

countdown to some former twitter engineer saying this is something they implemented years ago and abandoned after trials

elon is just trawling through old feature flags looking for things to enable so it can look like twitter is shipping anything new

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
51 years old.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1608939190548598784?s=20&t=SnjfNrJs_jHg4jSTSLz6IA

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Please bring me ten rat tails.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

I like the guy spamming every reply with the same Elon crypto scam

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Duuuuuuuuude. Have you ever really thought about like, maybe we're characters in a game, man? That's fuckin' crazy.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Is that one of those Twitter blue features he promised months ago? Exciting times!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

smoobles posted:

Romanian jail seems pretty chill if he’s allowed to tweet from there

I mean there's always the chance Elon used his admin rights to tweet from his account. lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Last Call posted:

Elon Musk suffers biggest loss of wealth in modern history with net worth collapse

The Twitter and Tesla CEO’s net worth has fallen by more than $200billion (£166bn)

https://www.nme.com/news/elon-musk-suffers-biggest-loss-wealth-modern-history-net-worth-collapse-3372432

Elon Musk has suffered the biggest loss of wealth in modern history, with his net worth dropping by more than $200billion (£166bn).

The billionaire, who recently took over the social media site Twitter, lost over half of his fortune over the last 13 months.

According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Musk’s net worth declined by $208billion (£172bn) – roughly the same as the annual GDP of Greece. That amount is also more than the total net worth of the world’s richest person, LVMH CEO Bernard Arnault.

Musk was previously at the top of the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, but has since been overtaken by Arnault. His net worth was previously $338billion (£280bn). It now stands at $132billion (£110bn).

The huge drop in Musk’s net worth is largely down to the collapse of Tesla stock over the last year. “Don’t be too bothered by stock market craziness,” the CEO recently told staff at the car company, according to Reuters. “As we demonstrate continued excellent performance, the market will recognise that.”

Since Musk took over Twitter in October, the site has faced a number of difficulties. The CEO immediately fired several top executives and half of its workforce, with users soon advised to archive their Twitter history after speculation the platform could collapse.

Maybe if the whole "tech visionary" thing [continues to] falls through he can host a Biggest Loser reboot.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol this guy had people convinced for years that he was a mega genius

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

busalover posted:

I mean there's always the chance Elon used his admin rights to tweet from his account. lol

Overnight the entire idiot patrol started tweeting about the matrix and simulations and now NPCs, I stubbornly refuse to believe that’s a coincidence, even if it is

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1608946362510610433?s=20&t=Klf4V7XM7ra1KPc6arIwiA

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://stocktwits.com/Stockinvester4profit/message/503993666
My "Elon Musk is not an idiot and isn't saying alt-right talking points in this video" t-shirt etc

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Does this mean that Elon has now lost the most money that anyone has ever lost without, like, their civilization being invaded and destroyed? Being the single greatest capitalist failure would be an accomplishment!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

sweet geek swag posted:

Does this mean that Elon has now lost the most money that anyone has ever lost without, like, their civilization being invaded and destroyed? Being the single greatest capitalist failure would be an accomplishment!

the money isn't real

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

The Moon Monster posted:

Maybe if the whole "tech visionary" thing [continues to] falls through he can host a Biggest Loser reboot.

how could anyone possibly beat him?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So he's taking something that's been a feature for years and turning it from a press into a swipe?

WHAT A TECH GOD

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If Elon Musk had even an iota of cool he'd do this

spidget
Apr 23, 2005

10 PRINT "R Tape loading error, 0:1"
20 GOTO 10

I've seen this not pass accessibility testing before. Having something that can be both swiped vertically and horizontally is very difficult for people with motor issues, since as soon as you move in one axis the scrolling is locked in and you can't scroll the other. Imagine how frustrating it is when you have shaky hands.

I think the usual suggestion is to add a button or something (maybe a star?) to select the options instead, since that is far easier to use with screen readers.

Omnitrix
Aug 14, 2008

Jacob likes air cooled VW's

spidget posted:

I've seen this not pass accessibility testing before. Having something that can be both swiped vertically and horizontally is very difficult for people with motor issues, since as soon as you move in one axis the scrolling is locked in and you can't scroll the other. Imagine how frustrating it is when you have shaky hands.

I think the usual suggestion is to add a button or something (maybe a star?) to select the options instead, since that is far easier to use with screen readers.

Yes Mr. Anti Trans who fires folks weeks before christmas is going to give two shits about the disabled.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
i think that is elon stealth saying they are gonna gently caress up the latest feed and apply something to it so he can more easily control what we see if we use twitter

I need to get around to deleting mine, i had been hoping some kind of organized “delete your account on x date” thing would happen

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm an actual npc because don't play games :cool:

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Omnitrix posted:

Yes Mr. Anti Trans who fires folks weeks before christmas is going to give two shits about the disabled.

It's a legal requirement in the EU and probably a bunch of other places and there are organizations out there who will litigate over this. So I guess it's another one to add to the burning pile of legally actionable turds Elon has shat out over the last month.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cynic posted:

It's a legal requirement in the EU and probably a bunch of other places and there are organizations out there who will litigate over this. So I guess it's another one to add to the burning pile of legally actionable turds Elon has shat out over the last month.

If he can just keep doing things to get in legal trouble and stay one step ahead of the law he should be totally in the clear!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wouldnt the people who play escapist material like video games be the ones who are npcs and the people out there doing things be the actual players

So what about people who are just shitposters who are part of the internet culture like cernovich or ben shapiro

They would also absolutely be npcs

The gently caress even is this whole mindset, video games were a mistake

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

spidget posted:

Willing to bet that, just like the views thing, this was absolutely something that was already made but likely discarded for the very reasons you say. Just like they originally discarded the views thing after testing found out it was downright depressing for smaller accounts (which is the vast majority of accounts).

Also they already do the swipe vertical/horizontal thing if you switch tabs on someone’s profile (between posts/likes/media and such) and it’s very annoying so I can’t see it being less annoying when it’s your actual timeline. If you scroll even a little bit too diagonally then it’ll see it as a horizontal swipe, try it and see how you like it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Posting like my 12 year old cousin did 3 years ago, I am the richest and smartest man

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

priznat posted:

If he can just keep doing things to get in legal trouble and stay one step ahead of the law he should be totally in the clear!

honestly, Twitter will probably be bankrupt and long dead before the EU does anything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cynic posted:

im sure the eu will take legal action eventually

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Steadiman posted:

Willing to bet that, just like the views thing, this was absolutely something that was already made but likely discarded for the very reasons you say. Just like they originally discarded the views thing after testing found out it was downright depressing for smaller accounts (which is the vast majority of accounts).

Also they already do the swipe vertical/horizontal thing if you switch tabs on someone’s profile (between posts/likes/media and such) and it’s very annoying so I can’t see it being less annoying when it’s your actual timeline. If you scroll even a little bit too diagonally then it’ll see it as a horizontal swipe, try it and see how you like it.

Yeah. I hate constantly fighting with the stupid gyroscopes in phones and pads. I wish there was just a portrait-landscape button instead of having to wiggle it just right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
The best part about this is that it's a widely accepted belief on certain boards on 4chan and in incel communities, continuing to prove that Elon is definitely a 4chan reader but still hasn't learned how to post. The guy seems stuck in a weird late-2000s-era internet community transition, still unable to understand how the modern social scene works online.

The NPC "theory" is generally dominated by two separate forks of belief, depending on the person who picks it up:

1. Anti-social introverts who are so out of touch with human relationships and reality that they no longer see other people as unique personalities with free will, and instead see them as zombies controlled by the media/sex/women/wokeness/biology/etc., meaning other humans are useless cattle that don't matter. In their minds, you're an NPC for getting into a relationship or following any sort of biological pressure, with the exception of sleeping, eating, toilet, and so on. If you follow any sort of basic societal activities like getting an education, job, enjoying sports and hobbies, you're an NPC. Basically, if you're not a depressed incel NEET, you're a loser because you haven't figured out that life is hell, which is the only true way to live and see the world.

2. Anti-social versions of the "we're all living in a simulation" belief (which Elon has publicly expressed belief in dozens of times), who think that they are the only ones who are factually alive and real in the simulation, and everyone else is just a computer program made to antagonize the believer. Being the main character, they are trying to figure out the cheat codes to open up the rest of the simulation. They don't really have an explanation for how they can discuss this topic with others and philosophize about it while assuming they are the only true living being in the universe and everyone they talk to is equivalent to a spam email. This belief can often pair with "reality creation" beliefs (the cheat codes), and I have always been under the impression that Elon really does see himself as the main character of world who is trying his hardest to create the reality he believes in. This belief system would be used as a mental crutch to allow his constant lying and exaggeration, since part of reality creation is acting as if something is true should lead to it actually happening or the universe making it happen.

Both types of believer see other human beings as insignificant and not worth caring about. The NPC belief removes empathy and compassion for others because technically they aren't real or living in a way intended by the believer. Though I'm too lazy to search for evidence, I don't doubt that the NPC assumption has led to mass-murders/shootings over the years.