Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I bet that there's nonstop lithium battery fires at every city's waste management now. So many people must chuck small batteries in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Twerk from Home posted:

My local government trash has a page where it says what to do with all kinds of batteries. They also spell it "nickle" which cracks me up

nickle musk

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

personally i can't say if recycling is good or bad until i get some new input from libertarian magicians

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

should have made it 33 smdh

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
I think alkaline batteries just get chucked in with scrap metal when making low grade steels.

in the eu anyone that sells batteries has to also take in old batteries for proper disposal. so it's not hard to get rid of them.

I also do some work for with a company that recycles it's plastic waste. there are actually quite a few that are worth processing and selling on. problem with consumer waste is different plastics are often combined in one package and difficult to sperate and are often contaminated.

stinch fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 30, 2022

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

i'm not saying i'm in favor of falaka, but hell, since romania hasn't banished it yet...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

polyester concept posted:

im terminally forgetful so i appreciate the places that still have plastic bags lol

i have a huge collection of cloth “ah gently caress, forgot my reusable bags at home, guess I’ll buy more” bags that hardly ever get used now because i keep forgetting them at home. happens several times a month. I usually just bring them to people’s houses when I’m bringing other poo poo like drinks or whatever, and then just leave them there

yes i am aware the smart thing would be to just leave some in my car at all times

sure but those convenient plastic bags turn into forever microplastics

your cloth bags will rot naturally like any other cotton

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

El Mero Mero posted:

someone gifted me a subscription to Ridwell, which promises that it can recycle a bunch of that poo poo that doesn’t count…the entire service stinks of tech scam though and I bet they’re not doing any of the shot they promise. Now I’ve got a dumb box outside my house for the next three months and an additional bin. :capitalism:

Ridwell has done a few free things with our city. Was nice for them to take the styrofoam away vs spending Saturday driving to the styrofoam recycling place.

There are quite a few places around here that will take (X) type of good for recycling/responsible disposal. But figuring out what goes where is kind of a hassle, and actually hauling poo poo to most of the places is definitely a hassle. I assume they’re doing that legwork.

Front porch space is entirely too valuable to consider that dumb big box though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I don't know why anyone is using alkalines now that NiMH batteries are less than $1.50 a cell. As another plus, you will never again open a battery compartment to find a leaky corroded mess.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
what happened to that trash reactor they built in Sweden(?) a while back and why aren't we building more of those things

we could unlock a virtually limitless supply of energy from my posts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

what happened to that trash reactor they built in Sweden(?) a while back and why aren't we building more of those things

we could unlock a virtually limitless supply of energy from my posts

well, the easiest way to do it, incineration is an emissions disaster and other options vary in cost effectiveness. there’s also the problem of what happens when people put the wrong stuff in the trash
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste-to-energy?wprov=sfti1

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol that plant in vienna looks cool

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Shame Boy posted:

village inn is the classy waffle house

free pie wednesday!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't know why anyone is using alkalines now that NiMH batteries are less than $1.50 a cell. As another plus, you will never again open a battery compartment to find a leaky corroded mess.

lol i have absolutely had eneloops leak on me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's the secret of NiMH

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i've got a shitload of eneloop clones but i also have big boxes of alkaline AA's and AAA's. i'm not going to bother loving recharging the batteries in my coffee scale, and alkalines last like multiple presidential terms in storage

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the batteries in our bathroom clock are almost dead and it just pathetically tries and fails to move the second hand lol

i could replace them but it's kind of entertaining to watch

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Shame Boy posted:

it's the secret of NiMH

Lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I swear battery leaks got way worse after we started using alkalines, is that actually a thing or just me being grumpier in old age?

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Jonny 290 posted:

i've got a shitload of eneloop clones but i also have big boxes of alkaline AA's and AAA's. i'm not going to bother loving recharging the batteries in my coffee scale, and alkalines last like multiple presidential terms in storage

i just have a bunch of AA/AAA eneloops and even if it’s something dumb like a coffee scale i’ll just swap them out every so often and the used ones go back into the recently-recharged pool

just knowing that they’re rechargeable mostly keeps me from leaving them in stuff i don’t use for long periods so i haven’t run into any leaks yet

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
posting on the page which people love to get stickers for but where i live it has a different meaning

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

posting on the page which people love to get stickers for but where i live it has a different meaning

ya where you live, its known as, your moms weight!!!!!! :flame: :rowdytrout:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I haven’t had a battery leak in recent memory, and the last time I had one I don’t remember it being such a big deal. I can’t imagine spending any time worrying about it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

i'm not sure if it's true or something i hallucinated, but i think if you mix old and new batteries in something, the new batteries driving current through the old flat batteries can make them leak

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

kirkland alkalines leak if you take them out of your sight for 30 minutes. if you have kids with toys you will be cleaning leaks out of battery compartments on the reg

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Yeah, I've mostly worked my way through the last pack of Kirky Sig alkalines that I bought before deciding to go fully rechargeable, and a bunch of them have leaked in kids toys, one hosed up an Xbox controller pretty nasty.

Kids toys tend to be pretty high discharge, so nimh makes sense there. I decided that I'm not going to buy alkalines ever again, but a bunch of stuff comes with alkalines included... So I'm hoarding those to go in very low discharge stuff.

The only thing that I know for sure has an alkaline in it is a tiny cheap humidity and temperature sensor that has gone at least two years on its included no brand heavy duty AAA. So not even an alkaline, I guess.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 31, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the motion sensors i bought uhhh 4 years ago and hung outside came with these cheap poo poo AAA alkalines and they're still running, after all those hot/cold swings and rain and such. amazing

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

incinerators were the 1970s hottest energy and waste solution but it turns out the poo poo that makes it work (efficiently burnable waste) and makes it profitable (scrap metals) are diverted with consumer recycling and you need to burn a lot of natural gas to get it hot enough to work halfway anyway

also they’re polluting as hell and even with expensive scrubbers they coat their environment with some nasty poo poo (and they stink)

anerobic digesters or bioreactors can do food waste or sewage to gas but doesn’t really scale and are basic greenwashing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i use whatever batteries came with something, and when that runs out it gets AA/AAA rechargeables. i think we mostly have amazon basics brand these days. this has been your Jones Family Battery Update for the week

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I used to buy rechargeables, but I found they’d drain far faster than fresh alkalines after only a dozen charges.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

I used to buy rechargeables, but I found they’d drain far faster than fresh alkalines after only a dozen charges.

that's still a dozen sets that you didn't have to buy and throw out though???

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Don't be a wuss, get out your bench power supply and recharge those alkalines

https://goughlui.com/2018/08/05/project-examining-capacity-of-recharged-alkaline-aa-batteries/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I have the little USB rechargable Lithium Ion AA/AAA/C/D cells and they work pretty well. Naturally, slightly less capacity than Alkaline, but you can just recharge them and they don't go bad nearly as quickly as NiCd or NiMh seem to.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BattleMaster posted:

that's still a dozen sets that you didn't have to buy and throw out though???
Nah it was almost an order of magnitude when I would use them in stuff like XBox controllers. I ended up buying the Li-Ion packs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Fabricated posted:

I dunno what can be recycled with modern alkaline batteries- originally you had to dispose of them separately because they had heavy metals in them but I'm pretty sure those were phased out years ago.

there’s basically nothing of value in alkaline batteries but nothing really bad for you either, they stopped using cadmium and mercury in them years ago. it’s just manganese dioxide, zinc, and potassium hydroxide in a steel can

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

it’s just manganese dioxide, zinc, and potassium hydroxide in a steel can

cool then just blend it with some protein powder and ice and I have all my micros and macros for breakfast

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

I've been trying for so long to get my dad to stop using the poo poo rear end harbor freight batteries they give out for free. They feel like they are made of just cardboard and last a few days tops in whatever you put them in.

Their remotes and flashlights all die so fast.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shumagorath posted:

Nah it was almost an order of magnitude when I would use them in stuff like XBox controllers. I ended up buying the Li-Ion packs.

really? i picked up a 360 controller that i hadn't used in years the other day and was shocked to find it still worked. there was a pair of amazon basics rechargeables in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Beeftweeter posted:

the batteries in our bathroom clock are almost dead and it just pathetically tries and fails to move the second hand lol

i could replace them but it's kind of entertaining to watch
The clock tries to tick forward, but it can't, not without your help, but you're not helping. Why is that?