Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/FUBUKllll/status/1608788493072994309

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i think this show might have been a hit fam

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whats funny is she isnt even selling anything bocchi related, its a doujin for the mobile game blue archive

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Speaking of Bocchi stuff selling good, the album is #1 on the Billboard Japan download charts https://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=dlalbums&year=2023&month=01&day=02

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/reprilo_channel/status/1606722391270625282?s=20&t=lDNwdwR_3-f9ZwOsXtfWOw

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there a pun between "Bocchi", "Hitori" or "Gotoh" and "Zock"?

Edit: Bocchi za Rock > Bocchi Zock; duh! :doh:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bocchi the Zock, cmon.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

Bocchi the Zock, cmon.

Yeah, I realized it right after posting and edited it.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Album is #1 on the download charts. Does this happen often for animes that aren't made to sell rhythm games?

https://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=dlalbums&year=2023&month=01&day=02

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Is there an IRL band that’s recording as Kessoku Band or is this a one-off deal made for the show?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its just for the show, yeah, though i think they got some actual j-rock musicians to write some of the songs

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's possible that the line up they got to perform as "Kessoku Band" will perform under that name in future though, since it's happened for various Macross musicians at the very least. While Mari Iijima, the voice of Minmay in SDF Macross is perhaps the most obvious comparison, since she's performed as Minmay occasionally in the past, she's also tried to distance herself from the role because she resented how much fans associated her with that one role and nothing else, so Yoshiki Fukuyama, the singing voice and guitarist for Macross 7's Nekki Basara is probably a better comparison.

A real life line band was made up for the show, with Fukuyama, then a relative unknown, on lead vocals and playing lead guitar and the show was really successful when it aired in 1994/95. Fukuyama went on to form JAM Project in 2003, who he still performs with, but he and the other band members for "Fire Bomber" have continued making the occasional album under the name "Fire Bomber" with the last release being in 2009; an album which Wikipedia notes had 10 original songs on it along with re-recordings of popular songs. They were still doing occasional concerts as of January last year (as in, 2022, not 2021; for clarity) though, so it's entirely possible they'll release another album at some point.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Manga chapter 33, in which Kita has a sleepover at Bocchi's place.

The scanlation's currently 12 chapters ahead of where the anime left off, chapter 21.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i know ZAQ was involved with the anime's music, not sure who else

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Been really just spending the day chilling and listening to the album on spotify and i really just like how good kessoku band is. Like yeah they are all professionals IRL and bocchi is literally Aimer's guitarist, but I'm just glad they went that route to show just how good bocchi really is despite being a disaster person. Aniplex really went all out on the music and it just is really top of the line J-rock all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wAQRxcLUeE

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?
Something that struck me about Bocchi that I haven't gotten from quite a few other musical anime is that when the plot calls for part of a musical performance to really impress the audience, I genuinely really enjoy and feel wowed by the music. The soundtrack is just really catchy, and I've gone back to rewatch some of the musical sequences multiple times so that I could experience it again. I never got that from Carol and Tuesday, or Ya Boy Kongming.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Wollawolla posted:

Something that struck me about Bocchi that I haven't gotten from quite a few other musical anime is that when the plot calls for part of a musical performance to really impress the audience, I genuinely really enjoy and feel wowed by the music. The soundtrack is just really catchy, and I've gone back to rewatch some of the musical sequences multiple times so that I could experience it again. I never got that from Carol and Tuesday, or Ya Boy Kongming.

Komei was the biggest disappointment of the year specifically because the music was either cut around or super underdeveloped.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wollawolla posted:

my favorite example of that is aikatsu where a lot of the musci is actually pretty good but also since its 100+ episodes they have to reuse songs constantly so you get everyone being really impressed by one of the girls doing the same performance they did two episodes ago

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

someone jumped 30 chapters ahead to post this side-story about the ijichi sisters. no spoiler content, it all takes place in the past.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I remember Fukumenkei Noise getting Narasaki from Coaltar of the Deepers to work on the soundtrack and thought it was good but the show itself was kind of a mess. Bocchi managed to nail both parts and I think that's why it's been such a success.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wollawolla posted:

Given nailed this too, though to be fair it was just the one performance. I should watch the movie still...

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Ya boy was fine for me in this aspect because the stakes were so low and the songs were good enough, Carol and Tuesday was really the one where I had to super suspend my disbelief that the loneliest girl in the world singers were going to bring about world peace.

Bocchi of course blew them both away, but I would say in fairness that's just easier for J-Rock to do than a pop focused track in general.

E: just remembered Vivy also ruled so I guess that throws my J-Rock supremacy idea into a satellite

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 2, 2023

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
Also it's worth nothing that the escapades of this pink haired slug girl got me to pick up guitar again, and no other music anime came even close to doing that for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the songs in bang dream are often pretty decent but theyre really overproduced for high school bands. bocchis music isnt only good its also something the cast could believably be playing

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

some of them really take advantage of having established that bocchi can shred it though, if 'to be a constellation' was in k-on i would have called bs, that lead guitar part is nuts

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

the aniplex channel has videos of the guitar parts of the songs up which is interesting to see it actually being played. I advise watching through all of this one especially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wAQRxcLUeE

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Respect to that dude for actually cutting the string.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bocchi's lucky that all happened in the band's nascency or else otherwise she'd be expected to sacrifice a string or two and bust out the sake slide at every show

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Wollawolla posted:

I really liked how when they were supposed to sound a bit lovely (the rehearsal and the opening of their first show) they managed to make it sound exactly like a kind of lame teenage band. It was that exact sweet spot where it wasn't unlistenable but it was clearly a bit off, which was kind of impressive in its own way.

Also binged this in two days, good show.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

another catch-up manga chapter, we're up to 34. glad the scan person is hustling after the success of the anime (for my own needs)

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I watched eight episodes and I like it but I'm not as enamoured with it as some of you seem to be. Other than the occasional gag it doesn't feel that original.

Also I'm just so extremely sick of the highschool setting. Would've been fun if everyone were adults but that's not allowed in this genre.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Don't they spend like 90% of their time outside of school?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think Bocchi would be like, 150% more depressing if they were all adults and it would throw out the vibe balance that the creators were going for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the highschool setting exists primarily so multiple characters can go 'i mean this seems important now but none of these high school anxieties will matter in 5 years.' thats like an actual thematic point. PA-san just mentions she dropped out once and the conversation moves on completely.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

kiminewt posted:

I watched eight episodes and I like it but I'm not as enamoured with it as some of you seem to be. Other than the occasional gag it doesn't feel that original.

Also I'm just so extremely sick of the highschool setting. Would've been fun if everyone were adults but that's not allowed in this genre.

I get that. I liked the bit with SICK HACK and kind of hope there is more of that interaction with other bands and the music biz in any second season.

Maybe the manga readers know more but I kind of hope there is less school stuff once the culture festival business is out of the way?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I get that. I liked the bit with SICK HACK and kind of hope there is more of that interaction with other bands and the music biz in any second season.

Maybe the manga readers know more but I kind of hope there is less school stuff once the culture festival business is out of the way?
yeah, the stuff after where the anime ends pretty much immediately leaps into actual music industry stuff. they get a rival band and befriend a music journalist, them uploading an actual music video to youtube, that kind of thing.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

kiminewt posted:

Also I'm just so extremely sick of the highschool setting.

This sounds like something Bocchi would say

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDEZzqfBBQo

Lol.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
The Jojo the Rock edits keep on rolling;
https://twitter.com/ARAGUMA3156/status/1611324404365160449?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Hahah. I was waiting for someone to use Whiplash with Bocchi. The edits write themselves. :v: