Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Jinnigan posted:

jeepers theres a lot to learn.

does anyone have recommended 5-10 minute videos on:
1. managing your animals? from gelding to pasturing to leatherworking?
2. the squad system. man what
3. getting a metal economy going

i still haven't found my cave dwelling yet so im still farming in surface soil. how does fertilizing work? i've got ash and potash production going, to just need to make sure the field 'has' fertilizer, and re-up every few seasons?

BlindIRL is perfect for what you need. He does speak VERY fast though so maybe put the speed down to .75
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYw2go17SqI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I swear the greatest weapon the troglodytes bring is psychological warfare through traumatizing all your dwarves from seeing their rotting corpses absolutely everywhere.

Edit: My militia captain has almost 40 kills, and this fort is not past its first year yet.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Zeruel posted:

BlindIRL is perfect for what you need. He does speak VERY fast though so maybe put the speed down to .75
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYw2go17SqI

thank you, this guy rules

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I've set up a tavern, and next to it, I've set up a dormitory with a bunch of beds. I've set the dorm as its own area, attached to the tavern. When I click the dorm and click the magnifying glass and shield icon, it takes me to the tavern's zone window. However, the tavern says that the rented rooms are at 0(0), which I take to mean that it doesn't think there's any rooms available. What gives there?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i dont think you can have dorms as rentable rooms

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zeruel posted:

So I need to get rid of some... children. I looked up that making a burrow on a spike trap is the way to go, but I've assigned them to the burrow and they're not moving to it. What do?

People only move to burrows if they have a job to do in it, although it seems they'll generally stay in them after that point (generally, maybe, unless they really need to eat or drink and can't do so in it)

so set up some hauling to the burrow and disable hauler as a job for all the dwarves you can assign work to directly and the kids should move. Make sure whatever they're hauling is magma proof so you can recover it later.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

hbag posted:

i dont think you can have dorms as rentable rooms

Yeah I’m pretty sure you have to assign the bedroom room type specifically and dorms are a different room type

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I've set up a tavern, and next to it, I've set up a dormitory with a bunch of beds. I've set the dorm as its own area, attached to the tavern. When I click the dorm and click the magnifying glass and shield icon, it takes me to the tavern's zone window. However, the tavern says that the rented rooms are at 0(0), which I take to mean that it doesn't think there's any rooms available. What gives there?

IIRC from what I read on the wiki, rentable rooms currently do not do anything at all. Visitors will sometimes request to join your fort, at which point they become regular citizens and take up a regular bedroom (but don't work) and the tavern rooms just always stay empty.

e: Okay I was misremembering it:

quote:

Rent Rooms: If you build a bedroom and assign it to the tavern (select the bedroom with q, then press l to bring up a list of locations to assign it to.), it will now be known as a "rented room" and become available for rent by visitors who were granted long-term residency. These vistors don't actually pay you anything for use of the room, but will offer their services in exchange for room and board, essentially joining your fort but refusing to accept labors until they petition for citizenship (with military ones never doing so while alive). You can assign multiple bedrooms to a single Tavern.

They do that even without tavern bedrooms though.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Is there some reason this doesn't work right?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

resistentialism posted:

Is there some reason this doesn't work right?

I am only guessing, but you probably need more space (on the y axis) for your archers to be able to see down, I don't believe they can see through the fortification and fully down a hole on the next tile.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just had a guy get gored by a yak while milking it, spill blood everywhere in the pasture while running away, walk through a puddle that was a z-layer deep, and drown

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I just had a guy get gored by a yak while milking it, spill blood everywhere in the pasture while running away, walk through a puddle that was a z-layer deep, and drown

Game of the year.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Got my chromebook to stream DF from my PC at home. Goodbye productivity!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Armok is punishing me, apparently; I'm stuck in groundhog day with the save from prior to when my death tube was activated; every save after that is crashing on "loading units"

obviously I'm being punished for not killing them hard enough and have to do it over again until the blood god is sated

(I guess it's either that or the reproducing carp.)

e: in hindsight if the crashing is due to a combination of too many live units and too many dead ones it may already be too late to do anything about this until dfhack or something gets updated and can prune all the useless deceased entries...

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 31, 2022

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Armok is punishing me, apparently; I'm stuck in groundhog day with the save from prior to when my death tube was activated; every save after that is crashing on "loading units"

obviously I'm being punished for not killing them hard enough and have to do it over again until the blood god is sated

Mythological Creature: In my book I invented the Death Tube as a cautionary tale

Ursine Catastrophe: At long last, I have created the Death Tube from the ancient novel Don't Create The Death Tube

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

oh yeah hmm i can see that being an issue

if i find magma will tossing corpses in it destroy them in a way that frees up memory or cycles or whatever

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Do dwarves no longer gain agility, toughness and strength as they level up their skills?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

e: in hindsight if the crashing is due to a combination of too many live units and too many dead ones it may already be too late to do anything about this until dfhack or something gets updated and can prune all the useless deceased entries...

Look in your DF folder for errorlog.txt. If it says something like:

Unit has misaligned body modifiers. Adjusting.
Creature caste outside of creature caste bounds: 516 for toad with 2 caste(s)
Creature caste outside of creature caste bounds: 27524 for toad with 2 caste(s)

It's the bad cavern dweller generation glitch. If so, the only current way I know of around it is to disable the cavern dwellers in custom difficulty settings from whatever earlier save actually loads. If it still crashes after that, you may need to go back to an earlier autosave (the world may have already generated whatever misaligned body modifiers are the issue) and disable them from there.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Beginner questions here (coming from a RW player)

the dwarf pro wrestling ring is going well but unfortunately the fort fell due to starvation. ik adventure mode isn't out yet, but in the non-steam df can you build a fort and go into adventure mode in it? i wanted to build a fort with a pro wrestling "ring" like i did then go into adventure mode and wrassle in it

onto my next question

Coming from RW where it's pretty easy to keep track of pawns, I'm having trouble because there are so many dwarves. As such I basically play everything paused, then just watch until i need to do something, then pause again, because I'm worried that I'll start a death spiral or something will be out of control if I'm not watching all my dwarves (ik that's the fun of the game, but I'm still working on getting a nice basic fort lasting for 10 years, my first goal). Is this how you guys play it? or is there a way to all of a sudden see if a disaster is going to happen (I notice the pop ups but a lot of people say they can be ignored).

Basically can I keep the time running while I play and then pause for certain things or if a new situation arises rather than playing paused all the time then watching without things spiraling out of control? Or what are some things i should keep an eye out for? time is progressing wicked slow with all the pausing i do. or is this just a brainworm i need to get over.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Why would my own civilization export/offer what goblins usually do? They’ve never sent a caravan and I think I’ve only had one migration wave. This is killing my fort, I really need dudes for my military. Is this something I can fix? I just got done with a huge minecart circuit so I don’t wanna start over.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Kvlt! posted:

the dwarf pro wrestling ring is going well but unfortunately the fort fell due to starvation. ik adventure mode isn't out yet, but in the non-steam df can you build a fort and go into adventure mode in it? i wanted to build a fort with a pro wrestling "ring" like i did then go into adventure mode and wrassle in it

onto my next question

Coming from RW where it's pretty easy to keep track of pawns, I'm having trouble because there are so many dwarves. As such I basically play everything paused, then just watch until i need to do something, then pause again, because I'm worried that I'll start a death spiral or something will be out of control if I'm not watching all my dwarves (ik that's the fun of the game, but I'm still working on getting a nice basic fort lasting for 10 years, my first goal). Is this how you guys play it? or is there a way to all of a sudden see if a disaster is going to happen (I notice the pop ups but a lot of people say they can be ignored).

Basically can I keep the time running while I play and then pause for certain things or if a new situation arises rather than playing paused all the time then watching without things spiraling out of control? Or what are some things i should keep an eye out for? time is progressing wicked slow with all the pausing i do. or is this just a brainworm i need to get over.

I don't think adventure mode is available in the current version of the non-steam version either, but you could download an earlier version from here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html (of course your current save probably wouldn't be compatible but you could start over and do it).

As for pausing, the game will autopause if something really important/terrible happens, so you're not in much danger. But I do tend to pause a lot of the time when I'm designing or constructing something major and I know I won't be watching the notifications at all. For the most part your dwarves are pretty self sufficient and you don't have to try and keep track of them, especially once you get more than a handful of them.

For starvation, make sure you set your plump helmets to not be cooked at least at first, because if they're cooked you don't get seeds from them to replant.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

ya in adventure mode you can find your old fort. dunno who you will be wrestling tho if they all died.

i dunno about other but i only pause when i'm putting down a lot of furniture or constructions all at once. otherwise i let it ride, especially if i have all the essentials automated. when time is tight, in the first year, i'll pause more, but as the fort gets "too big to fail" i just let the years pass on by.

mst4k posted:

Why would my own civilization export/offer what goblins usually do? They’ve never sent a caravan and I think I’ve only had one migration wave. This is killing my fort, I really need dudes for my military. Is this something I can fix? I just got done with a huge minecart circuit so I don’t wanna start over.

did you send dwarves out on a mission to retrieve artifacts or books?

Lpzie fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 31, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

StarkRavingMad posted:

Look in your DF folder for errorlog.txt. If it says something like:

Creature caste outside of creature caste bounds: 516 for toad with 2 caste(s)
Creature caste outside of creature caste bounds: 27524 for toad with 2 caste(s)

It's the bad cavern dweller generation glitch. If so, the only current way I know of around it is to disable the cavern dwellers in custom difficulty settings from whatever earlier save actually loads. If it still crashes after that, you may need to go back to an earlier autosave (the world may have already generated whatever misaligned body modifiers are the issue) and disable them from there.

yeah, that's what I'm seeing alright. I'm hoping the issue is the cavern dwellers that are generated post-death-tube-activation, since I don't think I remembered to disable cavern dwellers before turning it on and I assume disabling them doesn't make the existing ones disappear

so hopefully this time around the Bad Spawns won't actually show up to divinely gently caress me over and the existing ones will stay good and drowned

Decrepus posted:

Mythological Creature: In my book I invented the Death Tube as a cautionary tale

Ursine Catastrophe: At long last, I have created the Death Tube from the ancient novel Don't Create The Death Tube

i choose to believe they're having so much fun watching it they want encore performances

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

I haven't tried that specific technique, but awhile back the stats you got for raising skills were significantly nerfed, so your bookkeepers no longer look like Mr. The Windy Universes after keeping a ledger for a year.
I believe part of it was that skills now train only specific, related stats, but pump operating should logically train strength and endurance, which are both important for military dwarves.

... Checking the wiki, yeah, it trains:

• Strength
  • Toughness
  • Endurance
  • Willpower
  • Kinesthetic Sense

These all also seem important for military dwarves.

[

I'm also fairly sure minmaxing like that in this game doesn't matter remotely as much as their training and equipment, unless they've put hard caps on how superdwarvenly godlike a dwarf can train up to be
I believe that this is in fact the case, you can only get up to like. Double or something a given unit's starting stats through training. So you'll never turn somebody who has terrible military stats into a good soldier, just a less bad one.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not sure if it trains strength, but I found an issue with quantum stockpiles that potentially leads to great strength training.
There is no Skill involved in hauling so it trains no stats whatsoever.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Lpzie posted:

did you send dwarves out on a mission to retrieve artifacts or books?

Nah I have like 16 dwarves who've actually built an impressive little fort considering our small numbers. Looking around online it looks like my civ was taken over by goblins? That really sucks because the mountainhome was my old retired fort that was awesome but killed by endless crashes after year 11 or so. Ahh well, I was doing a 2x2 embark and it was pretty small plus I want to try a world gen with less crazy caverns elevations.

dude on reddit posted:

This is a bug. Your civilization took over a foreign site, installed a new government, and then a second force attacked what was once a foreign site, but is now your civilization's site. Because of how the game works, your civilization declares war on the attacker, which is itself.

You are in a civil war with your own civilization, but it won't show up in the world map because the liaison hasn't been able to tell you about it, since you're an enemy of the civilization.

As far as I know, civil wars can't end naturally, and the civilization is stuck in this state forever... or at least until DFHack updates, and you can cheat to fix it.

Ahh so that's what happened, I noticied via rumors my mountainhome attacked a huge goblin fortress in the middle of like 20 others so I guess that caused it. Totally sucks, I will miss the cult Berry of Pregnancies!

mst4k fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 31, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ty for the advice everyone! knowing itll autopause if something bad happens def helps with the anxiety of my fort failing without me noticing lmao

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ettin walking around trying to bash people over the head with this.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zereth posted:

I believe that this is in fact the case, you can only get up to like. Double or something a given unit's starting stats through training. So you'll never turn somebody who has terrible military stats into a good soldier, just a less bad one.

drat, rip, I was hoping if I kept going long enough I'd end up with a holstic detective-esque backback beatdown dwarf

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

resistentialism posted:

Ettin walking around trying to bash people over the head with this.

the secret is in very tiny text and reads "If you're close enough to read this you're already dead"

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
My current fort has been going fine, just pretty quiet. Was excited when a giant finally showed up, thinking I finally had something to test my squads on...

The giant pathed through the pasture on the way to my fort, and was immediately set upon by two war dogs, two hens, and a goose, who pestered him until he passed out, at which point one of the squad showed up and poked the giant once with a spear to kill him.

Good to know that bird warfare may be viable, but maybe next time they can let my dwarves do something.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Re: outdoor stairs... my dwarves simply will not build them no matter where I place them or what material I use. What gives?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Try ramps

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Did you carry those to a z-level higher? Does the job cancel and move to suspend when you click on the stairs? Did you select a rough stone 300 units away (will take a long time for them to haul the stone)? Are your dwarves set to a burrow that does not include the stairs?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

They also wouldn't build ramps... until I built a ramp next to the planned stairs. Then they built the ramp, and then built the stairs. Dwarves please

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I have elfs literally three miles down the road from me. No Contact. Is there a way I can make them start sending caravans? I also have hunams somewhat further away, which suits me fine but I would also like to purchase their goods.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I am going insane trying to set a Finished Goods stockpile for trade. I want it to hold all the dumb widget crafts I make, so it is set to accept the types: Amulets, Bracelets, Crowns, Earrings, Figures, Rings, Scepters, Totems, Toys. Despite this, my goddamned dwarves won't put anything in there. It's driving me insane. What am I missing?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

I am going insane trying to set a Finished Goods stockpile for trade. I want it to hold all the dumb widget crafts I make, so it is set to accept the types: Amulets, Bracelets, Crowns, Earrings, Figures, Rings, Scepters, Totems, Toys. Despite this, my goddamned dwarves won't put anything in there. It's driving me insane. What am I missing?

you need to tell the stockpile what materials and quality of items you want in there too. if you only select types the dwarves will throw up their hands and say "no materials are allowed and no quality levels are allowed, so nothing is allowed"

it's part of the same menu where you set it to accept amulets, etc.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You might need to allow all quality and all material types. It's a little fiddly and I still haven't gotten it to work exactly how I want, but that's a start.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Nessus posted:

I have elfs literally three miles down the road from me. No Contact. Is there a way I can make them start sending caravans? I also have hunams somewhat further away, which suits me fine but I would also like to purchase their goods.

Send a squad (or even just one person) and demand one-time or recurring tribute.

JerikTelorian posted:

Aside from what everyone else mentioned, do you have another closer stockpile accepting those things as well? If so turn them off in that stockpile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dante posted:

:staredog: Give me your seed

Well, there doesn't seem to be any way I can find to retroactively pull out worldgen parameters. I can get the seeds from gamelog.txt (although even so, DF won't accept pasting them into the worldgen fields, v cool), but that doesn't account for the changes I made to the volcanism and elevation meshes. So, I'll post the world.sav here, it has an active fort in it, but there is literally nothing done yet besides flattening the 1-z-level obsidian mound and making a few pots and blocks from the resulting stones. Zero digging, zero building (well, a couple workshops and farm plots, but those are easily scrapped.) The embark party here has four dorfs intended as soldiers/labor, a doctor, and a couple miners/admins. Some various livestock. Should be everything a fort needs to get minimally launched. I drilled a test hole just SE of the wagon and did not see any signs of aquifer.

So anyhow, if anyone wants it, here's Ballslapped:

world.sav
(Should just be able to unzip that folder and drop it in your game's saves/ directory.)

If you use it, post update pics, I'm very curious what people decide to do with it. I'm considering cutting down the outer ring of trees in about 10 spaces, and then making a billion blocks out of those, and using them to build a wall around the entire thing. Either that, or my minimalist approach of nothing but an unadorned stairwell going down into the dirt with zero indication of life or intent.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 31, 2022