Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

Hades is a fun game and I played a ton of it but it definitely has a tumblr style to it that can't be denied. Its like the characters are designed so that people draw fanart of them, and medusa is straight out of a cartoon network show with a big tumblr-ish fanbase

My daughter is obsessed with making Achilles and Patroclus kiss, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Gamers HATE this game with sexy anime dudes and multiple polished systems.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

Hades is a fun game and I played a ton of it but it definitely has a tumblr style to it that can't be denied. Its like the characters are designed so that people draw fanart of them, and medusa is straight out of a cartoon network show with a big tumblr-ish fanbase

Fans will draw their own art of popular thing? whoa

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I don't know why you people are being dense about it. Its not a criticism, it very clearly has an aesthetic that lends itself to that kind of fanbase.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Bro it's ok if you don't have a proper gamepad with paddle buttons we won't make fun of you*

*actually it's not ok and we will

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

I don't know why you people are being dense about it. Its not a criticism, it very clearly has an aesthetic that lends itself to that kind of fanbase.

I mean yeah, but like, who cares

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Because not every aesthetic will appeal to everyone's sensibilities and that's totally okay, obviously

its the same reason why some people don't like anime games and some people don't like gears of war

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

[extremely erudite] this, this looks like someone would make fanart of it, because they like it. this is unappealing to me

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Oh you're a "fan" of fanart? Name a famous chinese fan design

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its looks that way because the character designs are already drawn in the style that is very commonly used by horny fan-artists of cartoons, that mix of anime and cartoon network

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

Because not every aesthetic will appeal to everyone's sensibilities and that's totally okay, obviously

its the same reason why some people don't like anime games and some people don't like gears of war

Well it's a dumb reason to hate those games too. Those games suck for plenty of other reasons.

This reminds me of a coworker I had who refused to play Hollow Knight despite being a huge fan of metroidvanias because he doesn't like bugs. He also refused to play Dark Souls because the game wasn't colorful enough. Honestly one of the dumbest motherfuckers I've ever personally known.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

everyone's horny and that's okay

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The primary thing you do with video games is to look at them and if you don't like what you're looking at then you're probably not going to enjoy it much

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
And here I thought the primary thing you do with video games is play them, but I guess I forgot the thread title

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Well try to play them without looking at them and let me know how that goes

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Try to play them without breathing and see how that goes, I guess video games are primarily about breathing :dumb:

I'd honestly be willing to level with you on this if Hades were a visual novel/dating simulator where you're constantly looking at the character portraits, but they only pop up momentarily during dialog at the home base and when you pick up an upgrade. 99%+ of the time you're not looking at them, so even going with your "looking at video games is the main thing you do with video games" narrative makes no sense in this context.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

There are too many good games and not enough time. I say cast games aside at the slightest provocation.

I don't know why people can't take someone not liking the Hades aesthetic. If you don't jive with the a game's aesthetic it can just stop it from clicking, gameplay isn't everything. Though I was both not a huge fan of the Hades style and played through the whole thing.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Devils Affricate posted:

Well it's a dumb reason to hate those games too. Those games suck for plenty of other reasons.

This reminds me of a coworker I had who refused to play Hollow Knight despite being a huge fan of metroidvanias because he doesn't like bugs. He also refused to play Dark Souls because the game wasn't colorful enough. Honestly one of the dumbest motherfuckers I've ever personally known.

Second one is a legit complaint if the game is otherwise dumb and looks bad like Gears of War

Does he hate Metroid too? lots of buggy buggers in that Metroidvania

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I mean dude isn't wrong with the general statement that if you find the art style of a video game off putting you're much less likely to enjoy it.

I don't know what that's like because I'm a roguelike player and all I need is an @ and a | to fight my way through the O hordes

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I wanted to try that Gears of War tactics game that came out because I heard the tactics were good. That was a game I gave up on because of the aesthetic. I just don't like the way GoW looks or the way anyone acts and talks.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Nice Van My Man posted:

I don't know why people can't take someone not liking the Hades aesthetic. If you don't jive with the a game's aesthetic it can just stop it from clicking, gameplay isn't everything. Though I was both not a huge fan of the Hades style and played through the whole thing.

It's one thing to find an art style visually unappealing, but this all started with someone criticizing the game not for having an ugly art style, but for having one that appeals to certain types of people on social media. I've noticed that goons, for whatever reason, are often hypervigilant about guilt-by-association when it comes to weird internet fan bases, to the point where they proudly abstain from genuinely good things, and I get a strong impression that this criticism of Hades is much more about this dynamic than simply finding its art style ugly or in bad taste.

Like if a game's art is making you dry heave, then please by all means stop playing it. But if it just makes you upset because you've got a bunch of tumblr posters dancing around in your head 24/7, come on man

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Tbf I won't play binding of Isaac because it looks like a new grounds peepee poopo shmup

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I got curious and looked up some Hades screen shots and Caesar Saladin is right the Hades character art would be right at home in an adult visual novel

My Goddess is a Futanari

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Yeah Isaac all poop and miscarriages and child abuse, one of the worst themes ever

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Tbf I won't play binding of Isaac because it looks like a new grounds peepee poopo shmup

:hmmyes:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

he's right

Dark Souls is way too drab and boring looking :colbert:

e; Elden Ring too

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

he's right

Dark Souls is way too drab and boring looking :colbert:

e; Elden Ring too

I'm not disputing the claim that Dark Souls isn't colorful, I'm saying it's a dumb as poo poo reason to completely avoid playing it.

That said, I don't know how you could think the same thing about Elden Ring. That game takes place in a magical fantasy rainbow sherbet wonderland. You walk out of the tutorial area and you're in goddamned Narnia.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Hades hosed up by not having a gardening minigame. There's that whole garden area of the House that you don't do anything much with, and a garden theme on the post final boss area too.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

I'm not disputing the claim that Dark Souls isn't colorful, I'm saying it's a dumb as poo poo reason to completely avoid playing it.

That said, I don't know how you could think the same thing about Elden Ring. That game takes place in a magical fantasy rainbow sherbet wonderland. You walk out of the tutorial area and you're in goddamned Narnia.

Every single time someone says that and then posts a screenshot that has all the vibrancy and color of a like, rainy day. Everything just looks muted to hell and back.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fortnite is a good game and all souls games before sekiro are bad.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Caesar Saladin posted:

Well try to play them without looking at them and let me know how that goes

Uh, yeah.... about that...

That's a thing people do now. Blindfolded runs are a real thing.

sebmojo posted:

My daughter is obsessed with making Achilles and Patroclus kiss, fwiw

Sounds like she just wants to honor the source material.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

That's a thing people do now. Blindfolded runs are a real thing.

Yeah but speedrunners and their adjacent communities shouldn't be taken seriously.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah but speedrunners and their adjacent communities shouldn't be taken seriously.

streaming, competitive gaming, :yeah:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m not a fan of hades art style (it’s too busy) but saying that it’s corrupting the youth because the Zeus’s bare buff chest is just to much to handle and will attract fan fiction authors is a little much.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Nobody said that, they just said it was reminiscent and probably influenced by tumblr's style of horny fan art and that they didn't like that style. Nobody said anything about youth getting corrupted.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Caesar Saladin posted:

Nobody said that, they just said it was reminiscent and probably influenced by tumblr's style of horny fan art and that they didn't like that style. Nobody said anything about youth getting corrupted.

I did

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
The only game with an awful enough aesthetic to prevent me from liking it is Binding of Isaac - child abuse poop dungeon cartoon is no fun.

It wasnt that good of a game anyway but that whole theme was awful

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nice Van My Man posted:

There are too many good games and not enough time. I say cast games aside at the slightest provocation.

No one itt cares if you don't like the game's aesthetic there's just some poking-fun at some weirdo word choices, saying that a game has "tumblr stink" is funny

e: Mostly because I don't think of a social media website as itself embodying an art style, you can find all sorts of styles on tumblr just like anywhere else. Like did everyone posting images to tumblr have to get their art style approved by a committee first lmao

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 31, 2022

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ishikabibble posted:

Every single time someone says that and then posts a screenshot that has all the vibrancy and color of a like, rainy day. Everything just looks muted to hell and back.

Elden Ring: drab, lifeless, inspires no emotion

Fortnite: vibrant, beautiful, a true artistic achievement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Fromsoft fanboys love slobbering all over anything they make. When that new armored core game got announced a bunch people wet their pants even though they had never played this long running series.

Fromsoft graphics are not great. The games do one thing well, everything else is poor to middling, usually. Except for Sekiro, which is the exception.

Elden Ring is going to take the title from Breath of the Wild as the most overrated game of the past 10 years until fromsoft makes some other average game with cool boss combat.