Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah, insanely good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It sucks it took me so long to realize the p bass is the perfect bass/bass sound. I really need to finally buy one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah looking to sell my Marcus Millar P7 cuz even that isn't the real thing to me. Played a squier p-bass that cost like 500 dollars at sam ash last week and that was such a wonderful exp. P-bass!!!

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

It sucks it took me so long to realize the p bass is the perfect bass/bass sound. I really need to finally buy one.

My habit of constantly buying/selling bass guitars came to an abrupt end when I finally got one.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
All of a sudden I feel like a freak for only owning jazz basses.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

bees everywhere posted:

My habit of constantly buying/selling bass guitars came to an abrupt end when I finally got one.

This was it for me too. The MiM Player Series from 2020 ticked all the boxes - satin neck, maple on buttercream body, and fairly light. It’s a nice change from the Geddy and my mahogany laminate 70s Japanese Jazz monstrosity that’ll rip a stud out the wall.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

P-Bass wise, whats the best bang for buck Squier or Fender? (or other?)

ideally under 1000 but I'm probably gonna finance it so idk, if its really worth it, hit me

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
MIM squiers are generally p great, try a classic vibe one and see if you can be satisfied with that. squier is always better bang for your buck than anything fender-branded, just don't buy affinities sight-unseen.

definitely don't need to finance, you can get a really good p-bass for under $750 unless there's something you're realllly particular about.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

JamesKPolk posted:

P-Bass wise, whats the best bang for buck Squier or Fender? (or other?)

ideally under 1000 but I'm probably gonna finance it so idk, if its really worth it, hit me

Bang for buck: Squier, all day long, seven days a week, and twice on Sundays. Maybe not the Affinity series, but the Classic Vibe versions are usually really good, especially for the price.

But if you have a budget of a kilodollar, I'd go for the Player Series (MIM). They're solid. Years back, I had a Standard Series (MIM) Precision, and I loved it. I ended up trading it and a Peavey Foundation 5 for a Jazz 5 back in the day, and I still have that bass. My main 4-string for over 20 years has been a Precision Bass Special (Precision bass w/ a P-J pickup combo and a Jazz bass neck), black with a maple neck and an anodized pickguard, and I often have the Jazz pickup turned all the way down. My vanity bass from a couple years ago was my dream bass: an American-made Precision; this one was a American Professional series (the replacement for the American Standard) that I strung up with flats so it'd be different than the P-bass Special.

And I'll tell ya... sure, I'm not Steve Harris, and on a chunky P-bass neck with flats, I'm no speed demon. But that sound? You could put that into almost any song in almost any genre, and it'd work.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I'll be the black sheep and recommend the G&L Tribute basses, those MFD pickups make me fuzzy. The LB-100 and SB-2 (PJ) basses play great and sound great, and are priced between Squier and MIM Fender. My SB-2 with tapes gives a killer P sound.

E: G&L is basically Fender 2.0 after the brand was sold, lots of fun innovations after Leo moved on to MusicMan and G&L

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah I love my weird G&L Tribute SB-2 but I also love my Squire CV 70's Jazz. I adore my Yamaha 735a too, that's a great PJ that's underrated, I know some think the current passive 400 series sounds better. I would really like a MM P5 or P7 fretless, I really like its fretless tone. That's what I'm after and then maybe a shortscale and a hollowbody. and then I don't have much physical space left lol.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks, yeah, I was thinking about G&L too but wasn't sure if it was worth it if I just wanted their version of a p-bass (the ones w/ the stingray pickups make me go hmmmm but not right now). I'm fortunate in that we have a couple dealers locally, so could probably actually play one.

Was also wondering if the CV Squiers were worth it over a Player, and now I'm thinking hard about that. At $350, hell yeah to CV but I'm less enthused at $490 (I'm aware I'm missing a ton of sales as we speak, but I really wanna play it before I buy as I want it to be a forever bass).

For no good reason, PJs just don't click for me. It's a me problem.

My current bass is a 80s Cort factory J type thing. I'll post pics at some point. Feels fun and lively but it doesn't do the thing

DangerousSmells
Jan 3, 2021
Some probably redundant questions:

String recommendations for a jazz bass? I bought a Squier on deep discount a couple months ago and I’ve just been noodling along to Talking Heads songs. For guitar I usually do NYXLs in a pretty middle-of-the-road gauge.

Amp recommendation under or around $500?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

DangerousSmells posted:

String recommendations for a jazz bass.

Put some chromes/tapes on it if you don't have an instrument with those on it already!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Got a bunch of Christmas and NYE shows lined up and our bandleader wants to pick up Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas." Holy hell those Fender Rhodes lines are insane...

If anyone else is interested, I found a great tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo6qTNH6x1Q

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Going to be picking up more bass duties for a while, so if anyone here has some good Helix bass tips, I'm all ears. Most knowledge from the guitar stuff applies, but I haven't spent much time with lower frequencies and the bass specific models.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
You can get all fancy with the preamp models and cab sims or IR etc, or you can keep it simple and only use it for effects. If you've got a decent bass signal going in, and decent enough technique, you don't need anything for pres or IR to get a solid signal to send to FOH.

that being said, I really really like the Rochester comp on bass, and the Princess preamp is way better on bass than it has any right to be. Cut the bass eq to like 3 or less, crank the presence and treble - it's excellent for edge of breakup warmth that gets a bit gritty when you dig in. Dial it in right for your levels and it'll reward dynamic playing. The brand new Moon))) model can apparently sound amazing on bass too, but I haven't updated yet to try.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Scarf posted:

Got a bunch of Christmas and NYE shows lined up and our bandleader wants to pick up Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas." Holy hell those Fender Rhodes lines are insane...

If anyone else is interested, I found a great tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo6qTNH6x1Q

Lol I hate playing xmas songs barely hidden jazz songs ugh

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Shageletic posted:

Lol I hate playing xmas songs barely hidden jazz songs ugh

Ha! I'm playing "Santa Baby"

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have a dm-2w from my guitar pedalboard days and I have it on my bass board but basically never use it at all - is there something I’m missing? I feel like that slot could easily be replaced with something like an octave, way or filter and be much more usable

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just leave my reverb/delay on my Oceans 11 on as a given for my indie/punk original music stuff with Bass VI. Depends on what genre you're playing with? Like I would never use a delay for something like covering funk covers or something.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I’ve had an empress compressor for about a year. The one with the side chain input.

I’m trying to dial in a general purpose setting for slap and am having a hard time. It has three ratio settings (1:2, 1:4, 1:10) an input, output, dry/wet, attack and release. Anyone have any good starting out recommendations? So far increasing the input and decreasing output since to give me the most notable effect for slap, but it’s been tough to dial in. Like I can get an okay sounding pop but then it amps the attack on the slap as a loud crack that isn’t musical. If anyone with experience there has some general recommendations for settings I would appreciate it. This is more of a Andrew gouche target than a flea target.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I'm not a slapper most of the time, but a lot of my fingerstyle playing is slap-like because I'm attacking so the strings rebound of the frets. This emphasizes the loud sound of the attack (transients).

For this kind of playing and especially for slap, you want a slow attack. I'd say that's the most important thing, as you want the emphasis on the transient attacks. Then the compression kicks in and levels everything out a little. A quick release will help, too, but slowing down the attack will help you avoid squashing down the volume of the whole note just because the attack was loud and sharp.

For a ratio, I'd start at 1:4. That evens the dynamics fairly well without being too heavy-handed. If that's not enough, start increasing the ratio. Some folks like it set all the way to hard limiting, but I'd start at 1:4.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

tarlibone posted:

I'm not a slapper most of the time, but a lot of my fingerstyle playing is slap-like because I'm attacking so the strings rebound of the frets. This emphasizes the loud sound of the attack (transients).

For this kind of playing and especially for slap, you want a slow attack. I'd say that's the most important thing, as you want the emphasis on the transient attacks. Then the compression kicks in and levels everything out a little. A quick release will help, too, but slowing down the attack will help you avoid squashing down the volume of the whole note just because the attack was loud and sharp.

For a ratio, I'd start at 1:4. That evens the dynamics fairly well without being too heavy-handed. If that's not enough, start increasing the ratio. Some folks like it set all the way to hard limiting, but I'd start at 1:4.

Hey thank you. I had the attack and release completely opposite and flipping it instantly improved things, thank you.

Figuring the sweet spot so you still get a hood attack without too much squash is I guess the dial in part. But miles ahead and I don’t have to pluck so hard I’m breaking D and G strings once every few weeks. My future carpel tunnel thanks you as well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Actuary X posted:

Ha! I'm playing "Santa Baby"

The country/blues/soul artist I'm playing with now has us doing:

- Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer
- Leeroy the Redneck Reindeer
- This Christmas
- Jingle Bell Rock
- Jingle Bells
- Blue Christmas
- Tennessee Christmas
- Merry Christmas Baby

If nothing else, they're fun and they get the crowd going.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The holidays are when I really like getting out the bass. I don't play much the rest of the year but goddammit playing along to crap like Holly Jolly Christmas is fun to me.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Extremely new to this. I received a Squier Classic 70's Precision Bass for Christmas this year and was told that I had 30 days to go to Sweetwater and exchange it for a different one it if it didn't suit my preferences (my mom doesn't know much about music, so she just went with what she was recommended based on some of my music preferences).

Thing is, I don't know what really distinguishes between it and a jazz bass really. The other one that caught my eye when I was looking through them was this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JbassAfBM--squier-affinity-series-jazz-bass-burgundy-mist-with-laurel-fingerboard but I think that may just be because I'm very drawn to the color. But quality-wise, I'd assume the one that's better is the one I received?

I have no idea what I'm doing! :unsmith:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Either one of those would be perfect for a new player. If you do a youtube search for precision vs jazz bass you'll find a ton of videos that go over the differences. You might want to swing by a guitar shop and get a feel for both of them since there's a big difference when it comes to the neck, the P-Bass has a thick neck whereas the J-Bass is pretty slim. Tiny & huge hands would be comfortable with either but you might just prefer one over the other.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
They will also sound different due to the pick ups.
A guitar store would be my first go to as well if I were deciding between the two styles.

Got a photo of the classic vibe?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

They will also sound different due to the pick ups.
A guitar store would be my first go to as well if I were deciding between the two styles.

Got a photo of the classic vibe?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassCV70BLK--squier-classic-vibe-70s-precision-bass-black

This be the one. I looked up the serial number on mine and it matched this model.

bees everywhere posted:

Either one of those would be perfect for a new player. If you do a youtube search for precision vs jazz bass you'll find a ton of videos that go over the differences. You might want to swing by a guitar shop and get a feel for both of them since there's a big difference when it comes to the neck, the P-Bass has a thick neck whereas the J-Bass is pretty slim. Tiny & huge hands would be comfortable with either but you might just prefer one over the other.

I live about 15 minutes from Sweetwater, so that's the best choice really. I was just looking for experienced opinions before I go and do that, I think.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
be careful getting an affinity if you're new. they can be good basses, but they have a higher range of variability in quality control due to being a budget/beginner line (IE they let worse models off the factory floor when they do happen to be made with defects), and you won't know what you're looking for in a bass yet in terms of avoiding defects/bad feel.

this is especially true if you're ordering online, since you can't have a homie who Knows This Stuff help you make the choice.

still go check stuff out at the store, it's fun and important to do, but unless you fall head over heels for the feel of the j-bass neck i would stick with what you have.

if you do decide on a j-bass, try to get a not-affinity if you go the online route. the classic vibes line your p-bass is from is one of the absolute best quality:price ratios you can get, they rule.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Framboise posted:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PBassCV70BLK--squier-classic-vibe-70s-precision-bass-black

This be the one. I looked up the serial number on mine and it matched this model.

Awesome, that’s what I expected to see. That’s probably going to be a fantastic bass.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
finally bought the correct version of the peavey grind.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

creamcorn posted:

if you do decide on a j-bass, try to get a not-affinity if you go the online route. the classic vibes line your p-bass is from is one of the absolute best quality:price ratios you can get, they rule.

Echoing this, if you decide the J-bass is more to your liking, swap it with a Squier Classic Vibe 60's or 70's Jazz Bass. There's really not much difference other than looks from your point of view so go with either if you decide on one. The CV 70's Jazz looks the same as your Precision, I have one, they're great.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I love love love my CV 70s jazz.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Framboise posted:

Extremely new to this. I received a Squier Classic 70's Precision Bass for Christmas this year and was told that I had 30 days to go to Sweetwater and exchange it for a different one it if it didn't suit my preferences (my mom doesn't know much about music, so she just went with what she was recommended based on some of my music preferences).

Thing is, I don't know what really distinguishes between it and a jazz bass really. The other one that caught my eye when I was looking through them was this one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JbassAfBM--squier-affinity-series-jazz-bass-burgundy-mist-with-laurel-fingerboard but I think that may just be because I'm very drawn to the color. But quality-wise, I'd assume the one that's better is the one I received?

I have no idea what I'm doing! :unsmith:

Don't get that Affinity. Looking at the Sweetwater listing at least two of those have misaligned necks, ICSD22023951 being the worst of them. Just compare the dot markers on the neck to their positions between strings, and how the strings pass over the pole pieces, see how bad the low E is off?

As for Precision vs Jazz, it depends on which sound you prefer. A Jazz can get pretty close to a Precision sound using just the neck pickup, but it doesn't really work the other way around. Some Ps have very fat necks and some Js very skinny, but I think the Classic Vibe '70s series will be close with the P a tad wider at the nut. Think of the records with the bass tone you like the most and look up what their bass players used, and since you're so close to Sweetwater try a couple out (and try them out loud to get a real feel for the tonal differences).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

DrChu posted:

Don't get that Affinity. Looking at the Sweetwater listing at least two of those have misaligned necks, ICSD22023951 being the worst of them. Just compare the dot markers on the neck to their positions between strings, and how the strings pass over the pole pieces, see how bad the low E is off?

The camera is offset to be closer in line with the g string. Look at the pickups.

E: but if he is 15 mins away he can look at them in person and get a better idea of what it really looks like. I'd imagine they'll have one of the sales people who email you talk with him in person.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 28, 2022

DrChu
May 14, 2002

FatCow posted:

The camera is offset to be closer in line with the g string. Look at the pickups.
Unless the action is a mile high a slight angle to the camera will not have that much of a parallax effect, that neck is off.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The peavey grind has a wieord pickup size. let me hwnow if you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Do I need to oil a pau ferro fretboard? Also do I need to do anything special to clean it?

I'm not a big fan of tone gunk on my strings, and I know of "bass string tea" (boiling). Is there much to it? I'm content changing strings but also I haven't been playing a lot thanks to dumb rib pain so I'd rather save the $$$.