Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Everyone posted:

Compare it to other space sci-fi TV stuff. Star Wars? The galaxy at large is fighting some big-rear end civil war which leads to the cartoonishly evil Empire and then yet another galaxy-wide civil war. Followed by 30ish years of "peace" and then the destruction of the New Republic and another war because the New Republic apparently decided "Eh, gently caress it. Let the fascists have power again. What's the worst that could happen?"

Babylon5? Earth gets taken over by totalitarians and the galaxy's elder races decide to fight each other by blowing planets where the other side has "influence."

V? Alien lizards come to Earth to steal our water and eat us.

Firefly? Known space is run by corrupt business-people and the Reavers might decide to rape, kill and eat you not necessarily in that order.

Battlestar Galactica? 99% of humans are dead at the hands of the robot slaves they created.

I mean by definition all of these settings have serious troubles. If they didn't they'd be boring as gently caress to watch.

At least in Star Trek the protagonist-facing area, the Federation, is a genuinely good place to live despite the dangers/difficulties in other areas.

It's even part of the whole DNA of the franchise.

The universe is scary and difficult, and it's easy to fall back to cynicism and tribalism and just looking out for yourself. But by working together and embracing cooperation and friendship the Federation is stunningly successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mellonoious wormis

Is thy taxonomic nomenclature
Translucent, fuscia, morphogenic by nature
Your rubbery, mass energy,
and shape changing defenses
Contribute to your fighting skills
and help you to defend us.
I find myself intrigued
by your lipsyncing oscillations
A singular development
of sing song imitations
And though you are not sapient Murph
And cannot comprehend
I nonetheless consider you a true and special friend

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Speaking of sapient life - does Star Trek have any sort of Precursers like the Stargate series does? In that series lots of sentient beings look like humans is because humans look exactly like the 65+ million year old Anchients/Ancestors/Alterans who nudged life to look like them in multiple galaxies.

I know in Discovery they point to some sort of panspermia with the Mycelial Network putting up mushrooms across the galaxy, but is there an in-universe explination of why so many aliens look so similar to humans?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

Speaking of sapient life - does Star Trek have any sort of Precursers like the Stargate series does? In that series lots of sentient beings look like humans is because humans look exactly like the 65+ million year old Anchients/Ancestors/Alterans who nudged life to look like them in multiple galaxies.

I know in Discovery they point to some sort of panspermia with the Mycelial Network putting up mushrooms across the galaxy, but is there an in-universe explination of why so many aliens look so similar to humans?

Season 6, Episode 20 of TNG: "The Chase"

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Season 6, Episode 20 of TNG: "The Chase"

...can I get a summery? I've only seen TOS and Discovery.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

There's a precursor race. Not a whole lot important happens in the episode, but there's a nice character moment at the end involving the Romulans. If you can handle TOS and Discovery, you can definitely enjoy TNG. The first season is dire, but there are a few genuinely great eps in Season 2, and Season 3+4 have a bunch of all time great eps. There's a long tail towards the end, but there are still very good to great episodes sprinkled all the way throughout.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Twincityhacker posted:

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/The_Chase_(episode)

The precursor race evolved and found no other sapient life in the galaxy. They were all alone and didn't like it so they seeded genetic material.

Later, some species find that there is part of a message hidden in their DNA. No species has the whole thing though, so they are racing around trying to collect all the pieces of the message. Maybe it's schematics for a weapon for some reason??? Nope it's just a letter from your long extinct sad sack common ancestors.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Twincityhacker posted:

Captain Picard hears from this scientist he knows who's been doing archeological research (and I think also on comparative genetics, i think) and thinks he's on the verge of discovering something wonderful. I believe he's killed, although I'm not sure, and Picard and the Enterprise take over his work. As they do it, these alien species (Klingons, Romulans, etc), start getting suspicious and decide to join in on the hunt. After gathering all the material, they get to this planet, where the genetic material creates a hologram, played by Salome Jens. She tells them that her race was called the Precursors, and that they seeded various planets in the galaxy with their DNA so that some part of them would survive after they were gone. The Klingon is upset it's not a weapon, but Picard talks to the Romulan, who's overwhelmed that humans and Romulans (and other sentients) share a common genetic heritage and they agree that maybe someday, their people can be friends.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Epicurius posted:

Captain Picard hears from this scientist he knows who's been doing archeological research (and I think also on comparative genetics, i think) and thinks he's on the verge of discovering something wonderful. I believe he's killed, although I'm not sure, and Picard and the Enterprise take over his work. As they do it, these alien species (Klingons, Romulans, etc), start getting suspicious and decide to join in on the hunt. After gathering all the material, they get to this planet, where the genetic material creates a hologram, played by Salome Jens. She tells them that her race was called the Precursors, and that they seeded various planets in the galaxy with their DNA so that some part of them would survive after they were gone. The Klingon is upset it's not a weapon, but Picard talks to the Romulan, who's overwhelmed that humans and Romulans (and other sentients) share a common genetic heritage and they agree that maybe someday, their people can be friends.

I always forget that she was portrayed by same actress as Changeleader!

But yeah, it's sort of an explanation for why all the aliens look like humans with stuff glued on.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Mellonoious wormis

Is thy taxonomic nomenclature
Translucent, fuscia, morphogenic by nature
Your rubbery, mass energy,
and shape changing defenses
Contribute to your fighting skills
and help you to defend us.
I find myself intrigued
by your lipsyncing oscillations
A singular development
of sing song imitations
And though you are not sapient Murph
And cannot comprehend
I nonetheless consider you a true and special friend

Too lazy to post the clapping gif, so here you go

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Data's poems were legit good. It's like the writers forgot they were supposed to be insipid.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bltzn posted:

It is up on Crave, I watched it earlier today.

I checked again and it still only goes up to 18. Ill check again tomorrow.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

mllaneza posted:

No, but they would have had to extensively rewrite a whole bunch of scripts to turn it into Star Trek. I'm going with the theory that it was Star Trek all along, and only looked like Star Wars so kids who only knew Star Wars could start in a familiar environment and then learn about the Federation along with the characters.

Why do you assume they would have had to "extensively rewrite a bunch of scripts"?

It feels likely that they were in the process of finishing up the pilot of what was going to be a generic "kids find an advanced space ship with a hologram teacher" show when someone From The Network came to them with the opportunity to transform it into a Star Trek show. Re-render a few scenes with some different character models (specifically Janeway, ship exterior shots, and probably edits to Zero), re-record some dialog, edit your script for Episode 2 to reset some plot points and that's about it; the needed changes to add in the "Star Trek bits" to the pilot are overall pretty few and far between.

Adding/removing IP licenses in the middle of production (sometimes very late in the process) isn't uncommon in a number of entertainment industries, and if you have the opportunity it's often very much worth it - even poo poo IPs usually guarantee a certain pre-determined viewer/user base and sales, something like Star Trek is a goldmine and you'd be a fool not to move heaven and earth to make it fit.

Otherwise, if the license was set from the start, there's zero reason why the main cast wouldn't include some kind of recognizable/iconic Star Trek species; there is no way in hell CBS marketing wouldn't have made sure there was a Ferengi or a Vulcan or a Borg or some kind of character that visibly screams "Hey, this is Star Trek!" when plastered on a cereal box or whatever. Swap out what was likely originally a generic "hologram character" for Janeway, though? Instant Star Trek, and marketable to boot.

I'm also willing to bet that the Diviner wasn't supposed to be a recurring character, but they had an opportunity to cast John Noble in the role (likely due to landing the license), and hit the reset button in Ep2 to keep the character around/active.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Otherwise, if the license was set from the start, there's zero reason why the main cast wouldn't include some kind of recognizable/iconic Star Trek species; there is no way in hell CBS marketing wouldn't have made sure there was a Ferengi or a Vulcan or a Borg or some kind of character that visibly screams "Hey, this is Star Trek!" when plastered on a cereal box or whatever. Swap out what was likely originally a generic "hologram character" for Janeway, though? Instant Star Trek, and marketable to boot.
I don't follow you here. They would have included a Star Trek race had it been Star Trek, but the actual Star Trek person doesn't count? Neither actor nor character?

If they could've re-modeled and animated and recast the hologram, they could've changed the species of one of the characters.

I'm pretty sure they were always making a Star Trek show and knew that from the start.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Prodigy was always a Trek show from its very inception.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

LividLiquid posted:

I don't follow you here. They would have included a Star Trek race had it been Star Trek, but the actual Star Trek person doesn't count? Neither actor nor character?

If they could've re-modeled and animated and recast the hologram, they could've changed the species of one of the characters.

I'm pretty sure they were always making a Star Trek show and knew that from the start.

Consider screen time and value for money; the hologram doesn't have as much screen time or speaking lines as the rest of the cast in the pilot, making it both the easiest switch and for something that's not only recognizable, but an already established character. Doing this would mean they no longer "have" to include a recognizable alien in the main cast from a marketing standpoint.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
quote =! edit

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HD DAD posted:

Prodigy was always a Trek show from its very inception.

Word is they turned in 40 scripts, two whole season's worth.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Why do you assume they would have had to "extensively rewrite a bunch of scripts"?

It feels likely that they were in the process of finishing up the pilot of what was going to be a generic "kids find an advanced space ship with a hologram teacher" show when someone From The Network came to them with the opportunity to transform it into a Star Trek show. Re-render a few scenes with some different character models (specifically Janeway, ship exterior shots, and probably edits to Zero), re-record some dialog, edit your script for Episode 2 to reset some plot points and that's about it; the needed changes to add in the "Star Trek bits" to the pilot are overall pretty few and far between.

Adding/removing IP licenses in the middle of production (sometimes very late in the process) isn't uncommon in a number of entertainment industries, and if you have the opportunity it's often very much worth it - even poo poo IPs usually guarantee a certain pre-determined viewer/user base and sales, something like Star Trek is a goldmine and you'd be a fool not to move heaven and earth to make it fit.

I'm also willing to bet that the Diviner wasn't supposed to be a recurring character, but they had an opportunity to cast John Noble in the role (likely due to landing the license), and hit the reset button in Ep2 to keep the character around/active.

Without any background knowledge, my bet is that they knew it was Star Trek from the start but went without the big iconic identities because wouldn't add much.

Scenario 1: The Show Does Well With Kids, not well with adults
They haven't seen previous Trek anyway for the most part, so they don't benefit from legacy races being front and center.

Scenario 2: Show doesn't do well with kids, not well with adults
Quietly gets cancelled, is memory holed as a weird side project that didn't get it.

Scenario 3: Show does well with Kids, and with adults
Yay, people liked the show and it didn't need fan service right from the start.

Scenario 4: Kids don't like the show, adults do
Can try again with the easy references.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Hagemans literally pitched a Trek show to Nickelodeon. Full stop.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They're not as recognisable but Jankom, Zero and Rok are all pre-established races and identified as them within the pilot. The Brikar were quite popular in EU content.

Also the process of finalising the Protostar design was two years long, they didn't throw that together in the last minute. They've posted quite a bit of the development material. Unless you think they faked out the dates.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 31, 2022

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Unironically love the proto-Protostar is apparently commanded by an army of Chris Pines.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Unironically love the proto-Protostar is apparently commanded by an army of Chris Pines.

I've had that dream.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Everyone posted:

Compare it to other space sci-fi TV stuff. Star Wars? The galaxy at large is fighting some big-rear end civil war which leads to the cartoonishly evil Empire and then yet another galaxy-wide civil war. Followed by 30ish years of "peace" and then the destruction of the New Republic and another war because the New Republic apparently decided "Eh, gently caress it. Let the fascists have power again. What's the worst that could happen?"

Babylon5? Earth gets taken over by totalitarians and the galaxy's elder races decide to fight each other by blowing planets where the other side has "influence."

V? Alien lizards come to Earth to steal our water and eat us.

Firefly? Known space is run by corrupt business-people and the Reavers might decide to rape, kill and eat you not necessarily in that order.

Battlestar Galactica? 99% of humans are dead at the hands of the robot slaves they created.

I mean by definition all of these settings have serious troubles. If they didn't they'd be boring as gently caress to watch.

At least in Star Trek the protagonist-facing area, the Federation, is a genuinely good place to live despite the dangers/difficulties in other areas.

Also Star Trek is one of the few (if only) ones that you aspire to want to belong in.
Everyone is more advanced than we are now, society has advanced, more intelligent, more inclusive and such.
Something you can turn yourself into today.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

My Second Re-Reg posted:

You know they did make two other Star Trek shows before Prodigy that also felt nothing like Star Trek tonally or aesthetically and easily could have been reskinned properties. One of them was made by and starring Jean Luc Picard. I don't think "doesn't feature recognizable Star Trek imagery in the marketing" is a strong case for that conspiracy theory in the modern era.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 31, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drink-Mix Man posted:

You know they did make two other Star Trek shows before Prodigy that also felt nothing like Star Trek tonally or aesthetically and easily could have been reskinned properties. One of them was made by and starring Jean Luc Picard. I don't think "doesn't feature recognizable Star Trek imagery in the marketing" is a strong case for that conspiracy theory in the modern era.

Oh my god, are we already back on our QAnon, But For Television bullshit already? It's only been three days since the season ended :negative:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Picard is a compilation of good concepts implemented badly. There are several reason why it is such a mess, but it was Star Trek from the beginning.

With Disco, I have a very strong feeling that it was originally either A) Kelvin universe TOS or B) meant to happen some 50 years after TNG, but both ideas got ultimately nixed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They should give Ethan Peck his Discovery beard back

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I have a feeling that it was always ment to be set near the TOS era so they could pull from the best known Star Trek ( The Orginal Series ) for charecters and vibes.

Discovery may have been, very breifly, Rebootverse, but with how poorly Star Trek: Beyond did in the theaters it was switched to the Prime universe.

Though with the carosel of production teams on Discovery, I'm not sure how much beyond season one was planned from the begining. The only thing I know for sure that was plans is that Dr. Culber was always going to come back. For two reasons

The first is that his plotline of coming back is only thing that happenes in season one that was foreshadowing something in season two. ( You can see jahSepp!May infect Tilly as they go into the Prime!Universe from the Mirror!Universe. )

The second is that the production team and the actor who plays Dr. Culber said he was coming back after he was killed, because the queer audience was *furious* that it looked like yet another "bury your gays" storyline and were threatening to drop the show. Especially since Culber/Stamets was the first explicity queer charecters - Jazdia Dax was first but there is enough wiggle room in Trill identities that it can be fobbed off as "werid alien stuff."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Fuller or someone has come out in interviews saying Discovery was supposed to have been a straight TOS prime universe prequel, with characters in the turtlenecks from The Cage and a retro 60's spy movie inspired aesthetic for the sets. The concept was that the Discovery was a spy ship and the saucer could detach so that its big flat body would look like a D7 so they could cross the neutral zone. And there were supposed to be a bunch of weird black ops experiments happening on board.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

HD DAD posted:

A forest of Pines even. Warp, Forest, Warp!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Fuller or someone has come out in interviews saying Discovery was supposed to have been a straight TOS prime universe prequel, with characters in the turtlenecks from The Cage and a retro 60's spy movie inspired aesthetic for the sets. The concept was that the Discovery was a spy ship and the saucer could detach so that its big flat body would look like a D7 so they could cross the neutral zone. And there were supposed to be a bunch of weird black ops experiments happening on board.

Man, that dude sucks.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah that's the thing with all the production conspiracy theories, the background details aren't secret, it's not hard to look up how things went. At an even earlier point his opening pitch was "an anthology where every season takes place in the times of the previous shows, starting with a prequel"

Things like differences in tone, structure or TOS inconsistencies aren't tells that it was a secret Kelvin series or mistakes, they can all be tracked back to Fuller or others openly saying they didn't want to repeat the same tired formula of the old shows that lead to the series decline, or wanting to do new takes on old things

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seemlar posted:

Things like differences in tone, structure or TOS inconsistencies aren't tells that it was a secret Kelvin series or mistakes, they can all be tracked back to Fuller or others openly saying they didn't want to repeat the same tired formula of the old shows that lead to the series decline, or wanting to do new takes on old things

Fuller's series would have been much less inconsistent with TOS. It would've used Cage style uniforms and the original design for Discovery was much more TOS-compatible. The war with the Klingons would've been the border skirmishes mentioned in TOS. It became very different in look and with lots of inconsistencies when the producers changed and Fuller was fired and replaced halfway through preproduction, as the new guys preferred a more 'modern' look and were less concerned with canonicity, and probably wouldn't have made a TOS prequel if they'd had a choice, but it was too late in preproduction to change the setting. Fuller was much more of a TOS weeb though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Discovery was never going to look exactly like a tv pilot from 1964, hth.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And instead he ended up making Fuller House

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Fuller's series would have been much less inconsistent with TOS. It would've used Cage style uniforms and the original design for Discovery was much more TOS-compatible. The war with the Klingons would've been the border skirmishes mentioned in TOS. It became very different in look and with lots of inconsistencies when the producers changed and Fuller was fired and replaced halfway through preproduction, as the new guys preferred a more 'modern' look and were less concerned with canonicity, and probably wouldn't have made a TOS prequel if they'd had a choice, but it was too late in preproduction to change the setting. Fuller was much more of a TOS weeb though.

Except it's completely on record that the (season 1) Discovery Klingons are all Fuller - he was open that he wanted to completely redesign them and thought it was fine to do so since there was no single consistent portrayal of Klingons. Their visual design was explicitly what he requested and was kept when he left.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kesper North posted:

A forest of Pines even. Warp, Forest, Warp!

De Forest of Pines?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The concept was that the Discovery was a spy ship and the saucer could detach so that its big flat body would look like a D7 so they could cross the neutral zone.

"This will fool them unless they look at it." :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Seemlar posted:

Except it's completely on record that the (season 1) Discovery Klingons are all Fuller - he was open that he wanted to completely redesign them and thought it was fine to do so since there was no single consistent portrayal of Klingons. Their visual design was explicitly what he requested and was kept when he left.

Fuller! = shakes fist =

Of all the things in Discovery I don't like, a lot of it has to do with Klingons. Their look, how the war started, ect.