Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Quickly becoming ArfPilled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
https://twitter.com/Dr4gonBlitz/status/1608344084631912448

I love that people are still finding weird poo poo in old games

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"huge timesaver" is that just going to be allowed? i thought they typically didn't let you abuse outright cheats like that

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

iPodschun posted:

https://twitter.com/Dr4gonBlitz/status/1608344084631912448

I love that people are still finding weird poo poo in old games

that's pretty cool, is there anything else that can be done with controller 2 inputs in SotN?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zamujasa posted:

"huge timesaver" is that just going to be allowed? i thought they typically didn't let you abuse outright cheats like that

It may not be allowed, it depends on what the speed runners agree to.
Or it may as its something easily doable to everyone.

Take Silent Hill 3 atm.
All SH3 runs are recorded by the ingame timer. This can differ from the real time due to the set up you have, differing consoles load things quicker. But the ingame timer starts and stops when it loads stuff.
So the ingame timer is the 'true' time of the run.
It was only found out recently that if you spam the map key, it causes it to halt the ingame timer by 1 frame.
1 frame being 1/30th of a second, meaning you can spam it the whole game and the ingame timer will show a fraction what it should be.

So they are now debating in the community what to do, allow it, or use some software check/disable solution.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zamujasa posted:

it always depends on the runners and the categories, but I think 'accidentally included dev inputs' is well in the grey area. I could see it going either way, but I'd personally lean towards the argument of it being a cheat code

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

There's a blurry line between cheat and glitch that is ultimately decided by the community. I'd imagine that since it's only a 20s time save this one will be fine. poo poo left in by developers that wasn't intended to be accessible is a pretty common genre of "glitch" though.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
They can use it all they want they just have to take a different glitch out to get below the two glitch maximum enforced on all speedruns

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I enjoy speedruns of all types but I will say glitch speedruns tend to grab my attention.

The spectacle of them is something I appreciate.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Glitched speedruns are only acceptable when the glitches are dumb as gently caress.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Glitches rule

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I draw the line at glitches that are just time consuming to pull off, like the Gale Shrine skip in Okami that's just several minutes of frame perfect inputs to jump from the start of the dungeon to the end.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Imo it all depends on the community, what it does to the run, and if it's interesting.
Boshy has a boss with a leftover debug command. You can mash a button and it stays in place, doing nothing. Is it interesting? A little bit, and the boss itself isn't that interesting, and adds obnoxious randomness to the run. The runners agreed they could use it, the dev hasn't patched it out, and now no one ever has to fight Ganon normally again.

But there's a reason that like, HL2 runners don't just load the map in the console. This SOTN debug command is really unique, and if they don't care what it skips then hell yeah more power to them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
An example of a non-fun non-interesting glitch would be a race game where you can technically get a time of 0.00.00 by pause buffering every frame (and there may exist a real instance of this, but I can't recall exactly). It obviously wouldn't make for good viewing or good competition. A few of OneShortEye's videos talk about the glitch / platform discussion (often relating to Dosbox / SCUMM VM) in a few cases where disagreement and performance differences exist. I feel that communities will eventually migrate to whatever way is more fun most of the time. And if it's actually fun to do something different that's what categories and category extensions are for.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
a good example of a real instance of that would be the silent hill thing mentioned a few posts up

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Or zipping in elden ring, which was hardware dependent and totally destroyed all gameplay and ended up quarantined to its own little unrestricted category instead of regular any%.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

I enjoy speedruns of all types but I will say glitch speedruns tend to grab my attention.

The spectacle of them is something I appreciate.
Personally, I'm the exact opposite - I'm usually much more in favor of a good "glitchless" / "minor glitches only" run. There are some exceptions of course, but broadly speaking, the further a run gets from actual normal gameplay, the less interested I am in watching.

Especially true if the glitched run primarily revolves around one or two super overpowered glitches that just get repeated - watching you glitch Out of Bounds and skip a level might interest me the first time when you're explaining the tech, but it loses luster for me real quick.

Different strokes/different folks and all I guess.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's kinda cool when there's a super overpowered glitch to totally skip a level, but the setup for it is also really long, so it's only actually worth using like once or twice in the run.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like em both in different contexts, I think. On one hand a good Mario 64 120 star run is absolute poetry in motion- no downtime, no pauses, just an hour and a half of Italian plumber acrobatics. On the other hand, every year or so they discovered something new and hideous in the Ocarina of Time code and use it for dark magics. First it's things like using bottles to manipulate ram, then you're warping into cutscenes, next you name Link something stupid and that lets you start doing criminal acts to the game's code.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's not a glitch but Final Fantasy 10 is a good example of runners optimizing the rules for fun, they collectively decided that it should be allowed to hack the game to skip most of the cutscenes. This reduces WR pace from ~10 hours to ~3 hours.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

YggiDee posted:

I like em both in different contexts, I think. On one hand a good Mario 64 120 star run is absolute poetry in motion- no downtime, no pauses, just an hour and a half of Italian plumber acrobatics. On the other hand, every year or so they discovered something new and hideous in the Ocarina of Time code and use it for dark magics. First it's things like using bottles to manipulate ram, then you're warping into cutscenes, next you name Link something stupid and that lets you start doing criminal acts to the game's code.
Speedruns exist on a spectrum with “optimal gameplay” at one end and “computer programming” at the other

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

repiv posted:

It's not a glitch but Final Fantasy 10 is a good example of runners optimizing the rules for fun, they collectively decided that it should be allowed to hack the game to skip most of the cutscenes. This reduces WR pace from ~10 hours to ~3 hours.

They do something similar (though less drastic) in Super Mario Sunshine, using a hacked save file to skip the five and a half minutes of normally-unskippable cutscenes at the beginning of every run, and they just add the length of the cutscenes to the run time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's always interesting to me, when a speed run that used to have technically demanding cutscene skips has a ruleset change that obviates those skips. I don't think it's always a bad thing and it's really up to the game's community. But it just goes to show how every community decides for itself what skills are valued in its competitive environment.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Do HL2 runners still have to do that one thing where they hit npcs on the head with props to make them move to their next location faster

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FirstAidKite posted:

Do HL2 runners still have to do that one thing where they hit npcs on the head with props to make them move to their next location faster

I believe so? That's all in-engine and seems like it'd be almost impossible to excise anyways.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

given how many ingame exposition parts there are it'd be impossible to not have them. it's an in-engine failsafe to help prevent softlocks and they're just using that to their advantage

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

TACD posted:

Speedruns exist on a spectrum with “optimal gameplay” at one end and “computer programming” at the other

Close, but it's actually this

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

repiv posted:

ffx speedruns ftw

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TACD posted:

And I'm not even sure what Paper Mario Stop 'n' Swop percent counts as.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMkH3XFDQDM

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

And I'm not even sure what Paper Mario Stop 'n' Swop percent counts as.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMkH3XFDQDM

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

My favorite unsolved problems in computer science run is Hack n' Slash. The game is already about unsolved problems in computer science and you play by reprogramming game assets.

It's supposed to have checks in place that prevent you from making it load the end of the game early but you can bypass them by setting your file name to be the location of the room in the games files and then calling the $name string in your code.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I should go back and play that game again; I tried to be too clever and overwrote the fonts for the glyphs with the plain-text ones and I think that kinda spoiled a lot of it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think the weird glitch runs like elden ring slide stuff and whatever the gently caress Ocarina of Time is are neat but ultimately do not enjoy them at all because you're skipping all of the actual gameplay. Games like Doom 2016 where you get some crazy skips and glitches but also some completely perfect game execution are a perfect middle ground for me.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

I think the weird glitch runs like elden ring slide stuff and whatever the gently caress Ocarina of Time is are neat but ultimately do not enjoy them at all because you're skipping all of the actual gameplay. Games like Doom 2016 where you get some crazy skips and glitches but also some completely perfect game execution are a perfect middle ground for me.

Exactly the reason why No Major Glitches runs are popular. I wanna see the game played quickly but not completely skipped. A great example is Zelda LTTP where you have the Exploration Glitch that allows you to beat the game in 2-3 minutes, but that's boring to watch.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SeXReX posted:

Close, but it's actually this

Out of curiosity, what speedrun would people put in each of the extreme corners? I’m thinking Super Mario Bros. for “x-games” and that TAS where they reprogrammed Super Mario World to play Snake and Pong for “unsolved problems”, not sure about “math olympiad” though

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

TACD posted:

Out of curiosity, what speedrun would people put in each of the extreme corners? I’m thinking Super Mario Bros. for “x-games” and that TAS where they reprogrammed Super Mario World to play Snake and Pong for “unsolved problems”, not sure about “math olympiad” though

i'm thinking the fallout 3 run where a dude provided an actual physical prop to describe the hosed up seventh-dimensional geometry of the skip he was about to do

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

TACD posted:

Tetris or Doom for xgames. Probably one of the heavy RNG manipulation RPGs for maths olympiad, like chrono trigger, final fantasy or pokemon

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Dragon Warrior any% is basically just an optimal path problem at this point with the RNG being fully manipulated.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

TACD posted:

I’d go with either Final Fantasy Tactics (with the Math skill allowed) or the SM64 “no a button challenge”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The SM64 ABC is deffo over in "unsolved problems" when you consider the multiple years of bruteforcing being thrown at Bowser in the Fire Sea.