Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

so i also kind of want a city/town management. im trying to decide between rimworld, medieval dynasty, aven colony or surviving mars.

Dwarf fortress.

Rim world second.

Medieval dynasty is on gamepass if you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

just wanted to say ty to whoever reccomended Dragon Quest (im the dude with the arm injury who was looking for one handed games) it works perfectly and its my first DQ game and im having an absolute blast

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Steam Winter Sale, still undecided. If you could force me to buy one of these games, which one would it be: Yakuza 0, Kingdom Come Deliverance or Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

(I've never played any Mass Effect or Yakuza.)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yakuza 0 was my first (and so far only) Yakuza and I didn't feel like I was missing anything plot wise. The combat didn't click with me at all, which is a shame, since it's mostly about the combat. Prepare for incredibly long cutscenes and whiplash between the ultra-serious dramatic main plot and zany side quests.

Kingdom Come was an interesting take on the hack and slash dark fantasy RPG. I really liked the combat here, you definitely become better at it by learning the system rather than just grinding your stats to be higher and even if you're a hot poo poo knight in full armour you can still get ganked by a couple of guys with pitchforks if they surround you. Stealth combat didn't click for me at all, but stealth is almost never mandatory to begin with. The realism can be a bit grating sometimes and get in the way of fun, but not often.

I haven't played Legendary Edition, but I've played all the original Mass Effects. It was fun and I'm told that all the rough parts of ME1 were improved in the upgrade, so it should be a fun space romp.

Can't go wrong with any of the three, it all depends on what you like.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mass Effect was a drat fine game with a decent cultural impact, and if you care about that whole sort of dialogue trees and making choices in the narrative, you probably owe it to yourself to give it a try. It was some of Bioware's finest work and I don't think the studio was essentially dismantled afterwards.

Also the gunplay of ME2 might be my favorite shooting ever. You can either get really tactical or you can zoom around punching and shooting.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Filox posted:

Steam Winter Sale, still undecided. If you could force me to buy one of these games, which one would it be: Yakuza 0, Kingdom Come Deliverance or Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

Yakuza 0

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Filox posted:

Yakuza 0 and it's not even close

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Filox posted:

Yakuza 0

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Filox posted:

Yakuza 0. For the sick dance moves:

The intense stealth sections:

Dialogues that put Disco Elysium to shame:

Some of the best companion NPCs in RPG history:

And a lot more. It's not even a contest.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'll add to the chorus for Yakuza 0. Never played another Yakuza game before it. Took a bit to understand the combat and get into the game's weirdness; the story is super-serial men crying super-serial tears and punching their way through all the melodrama, but the gameplay and sidequests are all the silliest poo poo (in a good way). The game has so much content. I also just love the way it looks; the wet streets and neon nights are just rad as hell. For 5 bux, an absolute no brainer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Yakuza Zero is very good, especially during the half of the game when you play as Majima.
I couldn't get into any other Yakuza games because I find Kiryu to be extremely boring but Zero is fantastic.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

You get billions of yen in yakuza 0, healing items cost like a 100. That's how the combat works.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yakuza 0 has pacing issues and for whatever reason the hardest part of the game is the tutorial (so once you're in the game proper there's almost 0 challenge left in the combat as you had to more or less master it just to get to that point) so I think it is being overhyped

That being said yeah it's a great game you should get yakuza 0

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey folks!

Before the steam sale ends I'm looking to get into another RTS but with first person aspects/option.

One of my favourite games of all time was the 1998 remake of Battle-zone which had a basic, but fun amount of base building, defence, resource harvesting and combat. I sunk tons of hours into it and its sequel.

I also enjoy Antaeus Rising/Carrier Commander.

I got pretty deep into Elite Dangerous and still mean to get back into it.

My ideal game would be something that isn't crazy deep and I can pick up and play an instant action single player game vs CPU opponents for 30-90 minutes with a definitive beginning and end. Homeworld skirmish matches used to be something I would enjoy. Not space related but to this day also play Rise of Nations skirmish matches which last about an hour at least a couple times a week (I realize these are not really first person perspectives but just to give an idea of the types of games I like).

Recommendations that might be up my alley?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

slidebite posted:

Hey folks!

Before the steam sale ends I'm looking to get into another RTS but with first person aspects/option.

One of my favourite games of all time was the 1998 remake of Battle-zone which had a basic, but fun amount of base building, defence, resource harvesting and combat. I sunk tons of hours into it and its sequel.

My ideal game would be something that isn't crazy deep and I can pick up and play an instant action single player game vs CPU opponents for 30-90 minutes with a definitive beginning and end. Homeworld skirmish matches used to be something I would enjoy. Not space related but to this day also play Rise of Nations skirmish matches which last about an hour at least a couple times a week (I realize these are not really first person perspectives but just to give an idea of the types of games I like).

You know that Carrier Command 2 just released recently?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

uh, no? lol I'll check that out!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

Hey folks!

It's not first person, but World In Conflict has a great skirmish mode with CPU opponents. It's an RTS with no base building and limited units so no gigantic murderblobs or long drawn out matches that take forever (in the skirmish mode, you also pick one role from armour/infantry/artillery/air which keeps things fairly simple) but it's all about the explosions and calling in progressively bigger airstrikes and tactical support.

Edit: actually, WiC might have been taken off sale on steam, poo poo sorry

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

slidebite posted:

Hey folks!

Battlezone II was remastered a few years (unfortunately I haven't found a remaster for the original): https://store.steampowered.com/app/624970/Battlezone_Combat_Commander/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I want a coffee break game. Each session is 5-10 minutes, easy in/out. I'm hoping for tactical turn-based stuff, or card games, or something fiddly - no reflex based games! I already have Vampire Survivors (and that's a 20-30 minute game anyways)

Is there anything like that? Especially anything new?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Into the breach
Hoplite

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

StrixNebulosa posted:

I want a coffee break game. Each session is 5-10 minutes, easy in/out. I'm hoping for tactical turn-based stuff, or card games, or something fiddly - no reflex based games! I already have Vampire Survivors (and that's a 20-30 minute game anyways)

While a full run of Slay the Spire lasts an hourish, each individual encounter takes no more than a few minutes, and you can put your phone down at any moment and the game simply waits for you. There's zero time pressure or real-time gameplay. I play a run throughout the day at work, when I have a few minutes to myself here and there.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Naramyth posted:

Into the breach
Hoplite

Seconding both of these.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cherry Creek. It's not in the genres you mentioned but it's very fiddly and good for short sessions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

FTL
World of Goo
Sunshine Heavy Industries

For specifically card-based games:

Guild of Dungeoneering
SteamWorld Quest
Card Hunter (a freemium game)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

A Little to the Left

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

bawk posted:

Doesn't necessarily need to be a citysim either, I moreso just want to be handed a piece of poo poo beginner's building/hub/city/ship/whatever and turn it into a really cool lived-in space.
This is going to be a controversial option, but Disney Dreamlight Valley is that kind of game.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

This is going to be a controversial option, but Disney Dreamlight Valley is that kind of game.

I had it on my wishlist when it was first available and I stare at it every now and then, but something about paying for EA for a game that says it will be free* doesn't sit right

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It's not first person, but World In Conflict has a great skirmish mode with CPU opponents. It's an RTS with no base building and limited units so no gigantic murderblobs or long drawn out matches that take forever (in the skirmish mode, you also pick one role from armour/infantry/artillery/air which keeps things fairly simple) but it's all about the explosions and calling in progressively bigger airstrikes and tactical support.

Edit: actually, WiC might have been taken off sale on steam, poo poo sorry

One of my favourite things to do with World in Conflict was to identify a unit that had survived an entire match, and then watch a replay from its perspective. I bought the game legitimately when it came out, so I don't feel bad about torrenting it now.

(Funny story - Zellers had a sale where you buy one new release, and get any other new release for $5. WiC was $70, so I bought some terrible flight sim from Slovakia for $20 and World in Conflict for $5.)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

not on steam, but slice & dice, pc or mobile, is pretty great for this. a full playthrough probably takes like an hour (faster once you get good) but each individual fight/stage is pretty snappy, it's turn-based, and you can pick up and put it down easily.

also it's goon made!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This thread is good. I’m going through the recs, thank you!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Anyone looking for a Rogue-lite FPS with crafting might consider Void Bastards

Your prison ship AI unlocks prisoners to find resources for it to escape the system. You board each vessel, with certain ones likely to have certain resources and enemies, and work your way through the system to complete different objectives. If you die, your backpack detatches and returns to the vessel to be given to a new person.

(No affiliation with channel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIBjdEoj8jk

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I want to like Factorio but seem to mostly bounce off of it every time I try the demo. The $30 price tag is also a bit too rich for my blood. Is there another game that might scratch that same itch?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I want to like Factorio but seem to mostly bounce off of it every time I try the demo. The $30 price tag is also a bit too rich for my blood. Is there another game that might scratch that same itch?

Shapez $3 on sale right now. It's factorio distilled down to its most pure form.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Rynoto posted:

Shapez $3 on sale right now. It's factorio distilled down to its most pure form.

Cool, thanks! Might be just what I'm looking for.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dyson Sphere Program, Big Pharma, any of the Zachtronics games, Satisfactory.

Check out this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954084&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 for similar but more further afield games like Oxygen Not Included or Dwarf Fortress.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Subnautica, I love piloting a submarine and also leaving the pilot's seat to walk around the ship and even put out fires. Are there any other games with more of that? I played Space Engineers years ago, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a few strategy games where you command your guys to do it, like FTL, Bomber Crew, or Space Crew (which is the Bomber Crew guys' take on FTL), but those are much less direct or personal.

A lot of co-op-focused games have that sort of experience like We Need To Go Deeper or Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time or even Totally Human Basketball. There's also a couple MMOs with a similar thing like Puzzle Pirates or Sea of Thieves.

Far: Lone Sails (and its recent sequel, Far: Changing Tides) are sidescrolling single-player versions on the concept, where you're taking these sailcraft across the endless wastelands, and managing speed and engines. They might feel a bit simplistic though. Spiritfarer is a very chill version of the concept with a story and no real danger of your boat being damaged or sunk, but you do actually plot a course with that one.

And on a very superficial level, there's things like AC4 or Outer Wilds or even Knights of the Old Republic. And on an early-access game that I haven't played level, there's Starstruck Vagabond, a game with the premise of recreating some of the appeal of Stardew Valley but with a spaceship hauling cargo that you have to manage.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Mindustry is Factorio light with way more tower defense elements + cheaper and on steam/ios

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Thanks for the recommendations! I've played, and enjoyed, FTL and Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime. I'll look into the others you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Chamale posted:

In Subnautica, I love piloting a submarine and also leaving the pilot's seat to walk around the ship and even put out fires. Are there any other games with more of that? I played Space Engineers years ago, but it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Possibly Objects in Space? Space trading where you don't "fly" the ship as much as pilot it like a submarine and play with underwater-like stealth. And you get handsy with the various ship stations when things go wrong.