Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Lt. Danger posted:

as said there are budgetary costs to even the dumbest, flattest, most generic accessibility option (difficulty slider) - not just in a financial but also a technical sense. if they can be included then great!

When you look at all the effort ER put into anti-cheat mechanisms, I don't think that argument holds water. If a simple 'don't take damage' switch were so difficult to include, there would be fewer mods. Sure, more nuanced difficulty sliders would be both harder and nicer, but the bare minimum is pretty simple.

(That is also why creators in different mediums are not necessarily wankers because they don't include accessibility options. It depends on how difficult or even possible that would be.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

learnincurve posted:

arguably it was attempted murder.

Don't be silly now

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

they took the Dark Souls games offline because cheaters found a way to remotely access other people's PCs. anti-cheat is more of a priority than built-in god-mode, which is no longer about making third-person action combat more accessible and instead making a different kind of game. I don't think it's fair to assume that the developers are deliberately snubbing you because they made an action game instead of a walking simulator and didn't think someone would want to cross the streams

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Oh no it was, they took a light sequence created by doctors and knowingly put it in the game to instantly trigger terrible fits, idk why, charitably you could call them edgelords, arguably it was attempted murder.

Do you have a source which specifically states that they purposely took a light sequence made by doctors?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Unrelated to video game discourse but earlier in the thread someone mentioned the opposite of :toot: as "untoot" and I made this dumb thing and forgot about it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

Unrelated to video game discourse but earlier in the thread someone mentioned the opposite of :toot: as "untoot" and I made this dumb thing and forgot about it.

I love the concept. It's a bit indistinguishable tho, even with music knowledge I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Microplastics posted:

Why would doctors do this

They don't normally go around creating things that murder people

You don’t know any doctors, do you?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

god-mode, which is no longer about making third-person action combat more accessible and instead making a different kind of game. I don't think it's fair to assume that the developers are deliberately snubbing you because they made an action game instead of a walking simulator and didn't think someone would want to cross the streams

Yes it is, because games have been around a long time now and the existence of an audience that wants cheats, godmodes etc for all kinds of game is extremely well known. Cheat codes and mods have been prominent in gaming from the start. Maybe this is your first time having this discussion and it is a revelatory surprise to you that people like me exist, I dunno; but the fact you use the phrase 'walking simulator' makes me think you knew anyway, you just don't approve.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/31/just-nine-passengers-detained-at-heathrow-during-border-force-strike

Truly impressed that Suella Braverman is overseeing open borders, at last.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I thought walking simulator was the term for games like Gone Home etc.?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Thanks to this thread I picked Elden Ring back up this morning having bounced off it the first time and am actually quite enjoying it

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Death Stranding is the only real walking simulator

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Glazius posted:

We've been trying to tell you, the videogame was designed to kill her.

Somebody found an actual diagnostic pattern used by neurologists to trigger photoepileptic seizures in a clinical environment, thought "oh hey this would make a neat visual effect for that part of the game where you go into 'braindance' super-VR in first person", slapped it in there, and then Cyberpunk 2077 displayed it full-size in the game window.

This wasn't some accident of background lighting or glitchy graphics. Cyberpunk 2077 was displaying a pattern of lights that was deliberately designed to trigger photoepileptic seizures.

^

It's a well known thing and was what kicked of the whole "holy poo poo don't give these people your money" thing amongst the community at the time. I'm assuming Glazius has the link saved

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Mano posted:

You don’t know any doctors, do you?

doctors are well known for their ceaseless bloodlust, thats why I visit the ascetic shaman who rattles his bone fetishes at the sky to cure my ailments

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Looke posted:

Do you have a source which specifically states that they purposely took a light sequence made by doctors?

There's a bunch of gaming website articles about it. One of them admits to toning down their own headline which originally suggested the sequence was meant to trigger epileptic fits.

It's just the same quote everywhere from the author under discussion, who said it was really similar to neurologic tests designed to trigger fits for diagnosis or whatever which I dunno I'm not a doctor.

No one said they did it on purpose. They apologized and within 48 hours of the article the game had been patched with extra warnings. Shortly after, the sequence was altered to no longer be an issue. They hosed up and then fixed it. Which if I'm not mistaken is basically that game all over.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you take learnincurve’s posts about it as-read it sounds like they literally put it in while rubbing their hands together and going “hahaha gently caress yeah this will show those epileptics what for”

Which is a very silly position to hold on the matter

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
This is the machine in real life

This is the braindance machine as seen in the game

I can totally buy that cd project based the design on the medical device. That they then copied the exact light pattern used (seen no evidence it's the same) and did this knowingly that it could kill someone I think is a bit far fetched.

Careless and stupid for not checking sure, but not malicious and they wouldn't be the first big company to have strobbing lights and not think to check if it inadvertently effects epileptics

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/disney-issues-seizure-warning-about-incredibles-2-for-fans-with-epilepsy.html

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 31, 2022

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you take learnincurve’s posts about it as-read it sounds like they literally put it in while rubbing their hands together and going “hahaha gently caress yeah this will show those epileptics what for”

Which is a very silly position to hold on the matter

David Baddiel did this on a live show in the… early 90s, probably? Put a strobe on and said “There’s no reason for that, I just hate epileptics and want to make sure none have sneaked in.” Got a big laugh.

Don’t know why you’re all arguing about games as if matters when Warhammer Total War 2 exists.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

History Comes Inside! posted:

Death Stranding is the only real walking simulator

If you play QWOP slowly, it's a walking simulator

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Murder doctors, innit.

It's a loving disgrace.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

:allears:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I quite enjoy playing video games, and this entire difficulty/accessibility conversation just makes me want to scream “NEEEEEERDS!”

Games are supposed to be fun, if people aren’t having fun because they’re too difficult, they should be able to make them easier. It in no way impacts your personal experience if other people can make the game easier, unless you are so insecure that you can’t bear the idea of other people “achieving” things more easily than you did.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 31, 2022

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

the funny thing is with Dark Souls/Elden Ring it does impact your personal experience because of the community aspect of the game, including the co-op ecosystem. unfortunate example

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

I quite enjoy playing video games, and this entire difficulty/accessibility conversation just makes me want to scream “NEEEEEERDS!”

Games are supposed to be fun, if people aren’t having fun because they’re too difficult, they should be able to make them easier. It in no way impacts your personal experience if other people can make the game easier, unless you are so insecure that you can’t bear the idea of other people “achieving” things more easily than you did.

As someone said up page, it does change the experience even having the option. For most games I agree, but if we take the idea that all games must be accessible to everyone, then you’re saying that a game which has that ‘there is no other way past this than just fuckin winning’ (which as said IS a different experience to having a difficulty slider) simply cannot be allowed to exist.

I definitely think that it’s good when games include accessibility stuff, but again no artist owes you their work. Many things are by definition non-inclusive but thankfully there are lots of other things. I’m dyspraxic and cannot catch a ball to save my life, so I simply don’t do activities which require catching skills and do other stuff instead.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Another good game I have remembered that came out this year is Citizen Sleeper.

I think I read a review of it in the Morning Star, of all places, and had to check it out.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sanford posted:

David Baddiel did this on a live show in the… early 90s, probably? Put a strobe on and said “There’s no reason for that, I just hate epileptics and want to make sure none have sneaked in.” Got a big laugh.

One thick oval office making a poo poo joke of it in front of a few hundred people isn’t quite on the same scale as a huge company trying to sell a product to millions of people, so it’s still hard to believe it would be an outright act of malice rather than an oversight plenty of other huge companies have made tbf.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I think that not wanting to include a difficulty slider in hard games is such a tory thing to do.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There's a bunch of gaming website articles about it. One of them admits to toning down their own headline which originally suggested the sequence was meant to trigger epileptic fits.

It's just the same quote everywhere from the author under discussion, who said it was really similar to neurologic tests designed to trigger fits for diagnosis or whatever which I dunno I'm not a doctor.

No one said they did it on purpose. They apologized and within 48 hours of the article the game had been patched with extra warnings. Shortly after, the sequence was altered to no longer be an issue. They hosed up and then fixed it. Which if I'm not mistaken is basically that game all over.

yeah this was basically what I expected lol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sanford posted:

Don’t know why you’re all arguing about games as if matters when Warhammer Total War 2 exists.

I'm about 80 turns into 3s campaign and so far it's fine? I heard lots of grumbling that it's bad, but I'm enjoying it more than 2s.

Obviously the real game is immortal empires.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 31, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I think that not wanting to include a difficulty slider in hard games is such a tory thing to do.

Difficulty sliders are means-testing for games. Discuss.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

rachel "i don't look like a typical jew *waves hand in front of face* riley" lol

they're just rubbing it in now

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Mega Comrade posted:

Well congrats because you still haven't seen it. I was asking if Miyazaki's claim that the challenge in souls games is intrinsic to his "art" is similar to how Kubrick made many of his films challenging to understand to engage the audience, and that this was clearly not the same as some qte.

But sure fine, just make up stuff people have said, this discussion has gone completely off the rails at the point anyway. People have made some really good points and I've enjoyed most of it, especially people talking about the specific issues they run into playing games but it's gotten nasty now and should either come to an end or move to a dedicated thread.
That is an absolutely nonsense comparason on a lot of levels though, you can still experience 2001 even if you're not big brained to get exactly what the filmmaker wanted you to because its a passive medium. It will still create an emotional response. The ending of dark souls isn't getting any kind of response from someone who couldn't get past the second level or whatever.

This is also ignoring the fact that these aren't just pure experiential artworks too, they're entertainment products. If i paid 60 quid for a game and i couldn't get anywhere in it that would suck a lot.

You're right the conversation always gets nasty on this subject, but i don't see why the side thats been telling a disabled person its good and right they shouldn't be included for like 5 pages is only just coming to that conclusion.

When i say games should let players of all skill levels experience them i'm not enforcing my facist art will on poor auteur game artists, the consequence of games not doing that just means i think they are badly designed and short sighted.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

That is an absolutely nonsense comparason on a lot of levels though, you can still experience 2001 even if you're not big brained to get exactly what the filmmaker wanted you to because its a passive medium. It will still create an emotional response. The ending of dark souls isn't getting any kind of response from someone who couldn't get past the second level or whatever.

This is also ignoring the fact that these aren't just pure experiential artworks too, they're entertainment products. If i paid 60 quid for a game and i couldn't get anywhere in it that would suck a lot.

You're right the conversation always gets nasty on this subject, but i don't see why the side thats been telling a disabled person its good and right they shouldn't be included for like 5 pages is only just coming to that conclusion.

When i say games should let players of all skill levels experience them i'm not enforcing my facist art will on poor auteur game artists, the consequence of games not doing that just means i think they are badly designed and short sighted.

I think it’s that last bit people are disagreeing with. Accessibility is good and the more of it the better, but there’s some stuff some people can’t do and that’s… fine?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I think it’s that last bit people are disagreeing with. Accessibility is good and the more of it the better, but there’s some stuff some people can’t do and that’s… fine?

If "the more accessibility the better", then "no we won't make accessibility a feature of our game even though putting it in would be pretty easy" is not fine, just like putting wheelchair ramps up to doors. I don't expect everyone with a doorstep to do it, but I do expect large companies to do it, and it's not fine if they don't.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I played through a fair bit of Elden Ring but I kinda fell off it, and NGL I'd pirated it to see if I actually enjoyed it (the answer - yes, and beating bosses that repeatedly kicked my arse was thrilling, but I got to the horrible red sick place that I couldn't be arsed to push through), but I'm thinking of buying it for real so I can do the multiplayer bit too

Is it still quite active, does anyone know? I missed out on the multiplayer aspect entirely and from what people said back when it released like it really enhances the experience. For instance, I can't imagine playing Death Stranding without the online interaction - would you say it's about as integral to the experience?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Personally as someone who likes hard games and easy games, I have never once felt offended that the games offer modes or modifiers to make the games more accessible to other players. Like I said before, I loving love Celeste and even when I was banging my head against a wall I refused to use the accessibility modifiers, but I always knew I could, and I never minded knowing I could. If anything it was nice to know that if I really found I couldn't do it, that the rest of the story wasn't cut off.

As for the epilepsy debate, I'd always figured that ever since Electric Soldier Porygon this debate had been settled but apparently not. Cyberpunk 2077 having the strobe effect could have been an innocent mistake, although it also beggar's belief that they accidentally created a seizure trigger and didn't think what it might imply.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

I played through a fair bit of Elden Ring but I kinda fell off it, and NGL I'd pirated it to see if I actually enjoyed it (the answer - yes, and beating bosses that repeatedly kicked my arse was thrilling, but I got to the horrible red sick place that I couldn't be arsed to push through), but I'm thinking of buying it for real so I can do the multiplayer bit too

Is it still quite active, does anyone know? I missed out on the multiplayer aspect entirely and from what people said back when it released like it really enhances the experience. For instance, I can't imagine playing Death Stranding without the online interaction - would you say it's about as integral to the experience?

PlayerCounter says about 64k active players this moment https://playercounter.com/elden-ring/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

There are currently 82k active players right now on steam. It just had a PvP content drop and its first sale, so player numbers have shot back up (not that they ever dropped that low)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Noice noice. Well, I guess I'll give myself a late christmas present, then.

If any of y'all are still on it and wanna help a noob in the new year, hit me up :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I only got up to Margit kicking my poo poo in and then wondering around a bit so I'm not much help