Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If Russia gets past Dnipro, Kherson, Mykolaiv and Odesa, then it means that Ukrainian army has ceased to exist as an effective force. The naval landing was in my cards until Moskva was sunken, and now Ukrainian coastal assets are even stronger and they control the Snake. It's not worth thinking about seriously right now.

But it's still something that the Moldovan intel chief has to remind the politicians and public about. Moldova is very poorly disposed to defend itself if the situation in Ukraine took the worst possible turn. Ultimately Moldova will have to figure how to get Russia out of Transnistria, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://theins.ru/news/258055

quote:

From the very beginning of the war, the Russian military had lists with the names of influential Ukrainians they were supposed to hunt, AP found out. According to the agency, the lists compiled by the Russian special services included government officials, journalists, activists, veterans, religious figures and lawyers.

The authors of the investigation managed to confirm 61 cases of persecution of Ukrainian residents on these lists. According to survivors interviewed by AP, some of the victims were held in specially equipped places of detention, where they were interrogated, beaten and tortured with electric shocks. Some then ended up in Russia, others died.

In three cases, Russians under torture forced people to denounce others. In three other cases, family members, including a child, were captured to put pressure on those being interrogated. According to the testimony of witnesses collected in the occupied and previously occupied territories of Kyiv, Kherson, Zaporozhye, Chernihiv and Donetsk regions, a similar pattern was observed throughout the country, writes AP.
As noted in the investigation, the presence of such lists indicates that most of the violence in Ukraine was planned, and not accidental. Russia has used brutality as a military strategy, the journalists conclude.

This is notable among other things because a lithuanian guy got arrested and sentenced for spying for Russia and one of the pieces of evidence were lists of journalists, judges and politicians of interest. It's not in this piece but I read one journalist's Facebook post (before the war) on being called to the secret service office and being told "yo Russia is collecting info on people and you're one of them, be cautious"

https://www.rferl.org/a/lithuania-spying-russia-paleckis/31379678.html

So the circumstantial evidence is fairly reasonable for rumours from before that Putin was planning to occupy the baltics with NATO being too gay and weak to defend us

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russian populists of the newly elected party crop already have managed to earn a VDD warning, oops! https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/valsts-drosibas-dienests-izteicis-bridinajumu-partijai-stabilitatei.a487996

Also, Ušakovs seems to be really pissed about the elections performance, and the way their party went down. https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/usakovs-saskana-bus-eiropeiska-vai-nebus-vispar.a487861

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Happy Olivier Salad Day goons and goonettes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Who is/was Oliver Salad?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Who is/was Oliver Salad?
Our Lord and Savior.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mmkay posted:

Happy Olivier Salad Day goons and goonettes.

Going to confuse every foreigner reading this thread. Фелиз Навидад!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

There may be many different Olivier Salads, but they're all good and holy (and possibly horrifying depending on the ratio of mayonnaise and presence of some ingredients you're not used to).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mmkay posted:

There may be many different Olivier Salads, but they're all good and holy (and possibly horrifying depending on the ratio of mayonnaise and presence of some ingredients you're not used to).

Or absence of mayo in my personal case :greenangel:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m only going to make it tomorrow though

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've heard in radio that carp got way more expensive, so I'll do my part (as every year) and not touch that vile mud-tasting fish.
E: my first thread title :3:

alex314 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 24, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Or absence of mayo in my personal case :greenangel:

That's OK, it was balanced out by this monstrosity (not mine)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RE: Could NEPLP officially conduct business with Dozhd' in Russian. I just noticed that I did receive a reply from VVC on the 21st.

NEPLP is a proper government entity, and therefore subject to section 7 part (1) of the Official Language Law, alongside the rest of the law. What this means is that for their business functions, e.g., walking someone through starting a TV station in Latvia, the working language is Latvian primarily. If a business must be conducted in another language, the organizer of a work session is responsible for making Latvian interpreter services available for the participants.

When we consider their regulatory functions, e.g., issuing an administrative fine to a misbehaving TV channel, we must additionally consider Chapter XV of Electronic Mass Media Law and section 35 of Law on Administrative Liability. Summarizing, persons involved in an administrative violation process have a right to use a language they're fluent in. Public or court officials decide here if an interpreter is necessary, and the state pays for it if so.

In short, there are two scenarios where NEPLP could suddenly demand an interpreter to be arranged by Dozhd', and take offence for not seeing that happen so:

1) NEPLP broke the law.
2) Dozhd' and NEPLP had a meeting unrelated to any enforcement proceedings against them, wherein Dozhd' would legally qualify as the organizer.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 25, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

With this coming holiday season you can also give your loved ones the best gift:

Globe of Poland

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is so stupid that i love it. have a link for this that ships to Latvia?

Mokotow posted:

Don’t see it shipping outside of Poland but let me know, I’ll grab it for you and send it.

I’m happy to update that behind the scenes, courtesy of the most kind Mokotow, another goon success story was born. I have received the Globe of Poland earlier today, at 8am.

Without knowing any details of it, my naive plan was to hold it up like a glass of wine. Well… thankfully for my plan, I had eaten enough porridge as a kid to be able to do just that!

Why is this thing like 50 cm in diameter? What kind of store even makes or orders those?! :laffo:

Also, it glows!

In other thread-relevant Christmas presents news, my mom got me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxTepxSg8cY

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 27, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Shipping cheap Globes of Poland across the region to opinion leaders is a new front of the Psywar Poland is waging against Russia everyone.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It’s surprisingly well made, by the way. Someone did put a real thought into making these last.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

All jokes aside those look like decent polish geography aide. It needs way less desk/shelf space than desk mat or a map, and provides the same "learning by random glance" benefit.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i couldn't find a good photo, but this bit of the cis meeting caught my eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkvEQIZ6I5E&t=57s

i guess it's by alphabetical order, but i can't stop giggling at how they made pashinyan stand next to aliyev

christ that has to be a galling reminder of how useless all these orgs are

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

All jokes aside those look like decent polish geography aide. It needs way less desk/shelf space than desk mat or a map, and provides the same "learning by random glance" benefit.

I'd like to see a shelf that this would fit in. Assembled, I couldn't store it inside my kitchen cabinets lol, if I were to take shelf dividers out of them.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'd like to see a shelf that this would fit in. Assembled, I couldn't store it inside my kitchen cabinets lol, if I were to take shelf dividers out of them.

A guest: "Cinci where do you keep your mugs?"
*opens cabinet to find a 50cm glowing Poland*

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I want one of those Polish globes so bad, if only to send to my mom. Is there a way to purchase them from abroad?

e: just read back a little further, guess not

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 28, 2022

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

HolHorsejob posted:

I want one of those Polish globes so bad, if only to send to my mom. Is there a way to purchase them from abroad?

e: just read back a little further, guess not

Let me know if you want me to get one. But keep in mind that the delivery might be more expensive than the globe (~20$) itself depending on your location.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Saying głobus out loud is making me giggle. I think I need more sleep

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Mokotow posted:

Shipping cheap Globes of Poland across the region to opinion leaders is a new front of the Psywar Poland is waging against Russia everyone.

Can you ship one to John Kerry?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/latvija/latvija-neanules-tv-dozdj-darbinieku-vizas.a489171/

In a small Christmas miracle, Dozhd' TV employees won't be deported from Latvia.

Edit: Also, FT has a good piece about the state of the economy in the Baltics https://www.ft.com/content/cf88d42a-6b59-4520-9c70-638b267c8de0

Edit2: Also, NYT has a cool photo journal of the century since the USSR was established https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/30/world/europe/soviet-union-100-years-in-pictures.html

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 30, 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
goddamnit if only i could figure out a way to break the paywall on NYT's fancy photo articles. ublock bypasses it on reg ones but has a side effect of breaking all the picture JS, which makes the fancy ones... not so interesting

in unrelated news, composer Eduard Artemyev, grandad of soviet synth rock, noted for his work on the soundtracks for Siberiade and basically every Tarkovsky film, has died of complications related to COVID

https://twitter.com/meduza_en/status/1608490702656385024

https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1608495522272235521

also, wagner is apparently now taking marketing inspiration from MGS4 https://twitter.com/odnoyabr/status/1608690852653854721

in very eastern europe news, apparently everyone has long since forgotten about the brief unrest in Uzbekistan's Karakalpakstan autonomous republic:

https://twitter.com/joannalillis/status/1606225839099678721

Mirziyoyev is once again proceeding with the constitutional amendments referendum to allow his continued rule after his current presidential term would have ended. the controversial change that would have removed Karakalpakstan's de jure right to hold a referendum on its independence

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 31, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Neither him nor Vangelis survived 2022

Sorry about the future

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Happy new years goons! This year I just asked father frost for this nightmare to end :cripes:

Going to try and catch the russian new years TV shows to see if the band of entertainment show vampires got any older now that the pool of youth got smaller from which they syphoned off immortality or if something is still eternally in 2002

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Happy new year Goons. Gonna spend most of the day driving down south through Poland to Rzeszów, which means lots of Ukraine-bound military equipment spotting. Got buzzed by military choppers on that route last summer!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

With the upcoming! Not fully sure what my plans for the day are, but I should probably try to rectify that I’ve yet to have Olivier salad this holiday.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Shuba's better anyway. Happy New Year!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ringu0 posted:

Shuba's better anyway. Happy New Year!

Please don’t threaten me.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What/who is shuba

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

What/who is shuba

шуба means "fur coat" in Russian, in this context implying a dish called "herring under coat" (dressed herring in proper English, I think?)

basically it's a giant glob of mayo with some herring, beetroot, and random poo poo in it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

John Carpenter's Salad

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

I found out the only way I can stomach herring this year. My family refused to prepare it that way for 24th

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Can't decide if herring or carp is the worse holiday fish

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Carp, by far. Some ways of preparing herring are pretty good, especially not fried. I get why carp could be eaten during fast, it's like suffering in food form. Also the fish bones, you can never get rid of them.

Later on I'll post a pic of cursed sushi we'll eat.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

alex314 posted:

Carp, by far. Some ways of preparing herring are pretty good, especially not fried. I get why carp could be eaten during fast, it's like suffering in food form. Also the fish bones, you can never get rid of them.

Later on I'll post a pic of cursed sushi we'll eat.

Yeah, people always say "I actually enjoy carp, it totally doesn't taste like sewer!"; motherfucker, i dare you, buy it voluntarily outside of Xmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, people always say "I actually enjoy carp, it totally doesn't taste like sewer!"; motherfucker, i dare you, buy it voluntarily outside of Xmas!

We would fish carp and eat it just fine, when I was a kid.