Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

FCKGW posted:

There’s no thunderbolt on these. Did you mean a USB-C to lightning?

Yes, my bad. As of right now, I feel like I have a bad gen one pencil. I cannot get it to to be seen even if I put it direct into an iphone's thunderbolt port. I don't have a thunderbolt equipped ipad around to fully test, but I've verified that all cables and connections are capable of carrying voltage and a signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Other USB-C iPads can't see a Pencil 1 either.

It's a fuckin' stupid rear end decision to not use Pencils 2 on an otherwise really great device.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

e;nm

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Farking Bastage posted:

Yes, my bad. As of right now, I feel like I have a bad gen one pencil. I cannot get it to to be seen even if I put it direct into an iphone's thunderbolt port. I don't have a thunderbolt equipped ipad around to fully test, but I've verified that all cables and connections are capable of carrying voltage and a signal.

Assuming you're still using "Thunderbolt" instead of "Lightning" even right after acknowledging your mistake... I'm not sure what you're expecting by plugging it into the iPhone's lightning port. Nothing happening there is the expected behavior.

A bit hard to troubleshoot this with all the confused terminology. Are you sure you're using the right adapter? The pencil should have two in the box, one that's lightning to lightning and a lightning to USB-C. Using the latter and connecting it to your iPad to initially pair is all you really need to do. You can use the lightning-to-lightning adapter for charging if you've got lightning cables around (i.e. for the aforementioned iPhone).

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Assuming you're still using "Thunderbolt" instead of "Lightning" even right after acknowledging your mistake... I'm not sure what you're expecting by plugging it into the iPhone's lightning port. Nothing happening there is the expected behavior.

A bit hard to troubleshoot this with all the confused terminology. Are you sure you're using the right adapter? The pencil should have two in the box, one that's lightning to lightning and a lightning to USB-C. Using the latter and connecting it to your iPad to initially pair is all you really need to do. You can use the lightning-to-lightning adapter for charging if you've got lightning cables around (i.e. for the aforementioned iPhone).

With the included cables and adapters, I am getting no detection of the pencil. I'm sorry the terms are throwing me today for some reason. Ipad->Type c cable->type c to lightning adapter->Pencil. Has to be a bad pencil i guess? The cable passes voltage and data to/from the ipad without any issues.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I give up :(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Fun fact: you can charge a Pencil 1 from an iPhone, you just can't tell that it's connected or charging.

I have some iPads Pro with Lightning and Pencils 1, when I get home I'll check if there's anything else to try.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Let it sit there and charge for a while maybe? Battery might be dead

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

I have some iPads Pro

Nice.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Farking Bastage posted:

A cautionary tale regarding the 10th gen ipads. Part of this is my failure to research, but I am beginning to reach a frustration point with Apple. Frankly, I shouldn't have to read the fine print when dealing with high dollar hardware, but that's another gripe. I bought my spouse a 10'th gen ipad and an apple pencil 2(first mistake). After spending a few hours not seeing the disclaimer, I hit up apple support and they confirmed my suspicion that the new pencils are only compatible with certain models(pro and air only). I figured the 10'th was a pretty decent device considering it has an M2 in it, but Apple has clearly drawn a line here. I can tell it has all the magnetic and proximity charging accoutrements to support it, but whatever. Quick trip to town later, I'm trying to pair an apple pencil 1 to this ipad using(by their directions) a type c cable from the ipad into the included type c-to-thunderbolt barrel connector into the top of the gen1 pencil and nothing.

Put the pencil straight into a charger for about half an hour, came back nothing.

Am i missing something here?

To be 100% clear, 10th gen iPad does not have the magnetic and proximity charging hardware for Apple Pencil 2.

The landscape camera takes the place the Apple Pencil dock hardware goes.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

So the reason they revamped the pencil to have the whole magnetic thing with the pencil 2 is largely because the pencil 1 has a major design flaw, which is that it's always switched on, but the battery is so tiny that if it runs out it's probably dead forever. So they added the magnets to the pencil 2 to make sure people would always have it attached to and charging their ipad.

But anyway, where did you buy the Pencil 1? The reason I ask is that if it's been sat on a store shelf since 2018 (or you've bought it second hand) there's a very good chance it's completely dead. I know this because I recently bought a pencil 1 for cheap, new, but from an independent shop where it'd clearly been on the shelf for a very long time. And it wouldn't connect, because if there isn't enough juice in the battery to know that it's charging or connecting, then it won't be able to do either. It's a known issue when people have kept them in desk drawers for 6 months or whatever. Some people have reported bringing them back to life by heating them up a little under a hairdryer for 5-10 minutes, but it's a roll of the dice.

Ended up taking it back, buying one new from an Apple store, and everything works fine. So just do that.

Alternatively, if the Pencil is in warranty and you didn't buy it from an incredibly sketchy source like I did, just take it to an Apple store and they'll replace or fix it. If it's out of warranty and also not sketchily obtained, it shouldn't cost too much to fix at cost.

It's a great stylus though, even if the battery situation is stupid and stressful.

edit: but yes, although you were dumb and got it wrong, it's also arguably one of the most stupid and baffling decisions they've ever made for the new iPad to be a weird mishmash of compatibilities with last gen accessories and exclusive new accessories, while also having an identical form factor to other tablets in the lineup that don't work with any of that stuff.. It's basically peak Tim Cook Apple, in the "what can we cobble from existing production lines and supply chains" sense.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 6, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
In Settings, do you see Apple Pencil listed below Siri & Search (and above Touch ID & Passcode on mine, although iPad10 doesn't have Touch ID so...)
Maybe going into that section while it's plugged into the iPad will kick it somehow?

Also, I hate to suggest it but try rebooting the iPad?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If the Pencil came with the USB-C to lightning adapter then it’s not old stock.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Two gen 1 pencils purchased from Wal Mart in two different locations are exhibiting the same behavior. Going to use the applecare+ I bought and lean on their support a little. Something doesn't add up.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’ve had my iPad Pro for 5 weeks now and it was a good purchase. Weirdly, my biggest non-software complaint is with the rear camera. It feels right on par with my iPhone XR which is perfectly serviceable - good even - but with the fat hump I thought I might get better lowlight performance or something.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

buglord posted:

I’ve had my iPad Pro for 5 weeks now and it was a good purchase. Weirdly, my biggest non-software complaint is with the rear camera. It feels right on par with my iPhone XR which is perfectly serviceable - good even - but with the fat hump I thought I might get better lowlight performance or something.

How're you finding FaceID on it? It's way too unreliable for me. Probably because I largely use my iPad in bed, but I mean that just happens to be my use-case.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
FaceID is a little annoying in bed when I have the sheets over my head, but it’s less of a problem when I have it in landscape mode, especially because iPadOS will alert you if your finger is covering the camera.

Not perfect, but better than Touch ID which was an unwelcome blast from the past when I briefly had the iPad Air M1. Had all the same issues I had with the iPhone 7+ where I had to make extra finger profiles for the same finger in all conditions.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I always use my left hand to unlock it for some reason so it just yells at me everytime that I’m covering the camera

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
My pencil 2nd gen regularly drops out in procreate. Is that a common thing or just me?

iPad pro 11" -the new M2 model.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Procreate's not yet "truly" updated to work with the new M2 model. You're gonna be getting a lot of hanging/crashing if you use the pencil to select a color from the palette--it's a known issue that will be addressed by the next version. But apart from that, it's also doing some very weird dropping of input when any kind of palm rejection is on. I'm not sure if that's Procreate's problem or the iPad's, but I haven't experienced it on other paint programs, so it's probably Procreate too.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

the_lion posted:

My pencil 2nd gen regularly drops out in procreate. Is that a common thing or just me?

iPad pro 11" -the new M2 model.

One thing to always check with the pencil when you’re dropping input: make sure the tip didn’t get a little unscrewed and is nice and tight. It’s probably procreate needing an update for your device as the other poster said, but always worth checking.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Has notability’s draw shape always been hot garbage? It got defaulted to on when I set up my new iPad and would add random straight lines to the end of my cursive words.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Argue posted:

Procreate's not yet "truly" updated to work with the new M2 model. You're gonna be getting a lot of hanging/crashing if you use the pencil to select a color from the palette--it's a known issue that will be addressed by the next version. But apart from that, it's also doing some very weird dropping of input when any kind of palm rejection is on. I'm not sure if that's Procreate's problem or the iPad's, but I haven't experienced it on other paint programs, so it's probably Procreate too.

Vegastar posted:

One thing to always check with the pencil when you’re dropping input: make sure the tip didn’t get a little unscrewed and is nice and tight. It’s probably procreate needing an update for your device as the other poster said, but always worth checking.

Ah, this is good info to know! I hadn't thought of it being updated for M2 or of the nib unscrewing. I'll keep an eye on the latter. Thank you!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Anyone have recommendations for a good iPad app for kids drawing? Things like coloring pages and something that can draw and wipe screen easily. Don't mind spending money but would prefer to avoid a subscription if possible!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Farking Bastage posted:

With the included cables and adapters, I am getting no detection of the pencil. I'm sorry the terms are throwing me today for some reason. Ipad->Type c cable->type c to lightning adapter->Pencil. Has to be a bad pencil i guess? The cable passes voltage and data to/from the ipad without any issues.

Update on this. Apple support has been on this for a week. They have done everything short of replacing the ipad itself after an Apple approved diagnostics. They are beginning to acknowledge something in the lightning to type C adapter and are sending a different adapter out. This has been quite the ownership experience for a couple of iphone or die folks since the iphone 4 days.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Original_Z posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a good iPad app for kids drawing? Things like coloring pages and something that can draw and wipe screen easily. Don't mind spending money but would prefer to avoid a subscription if possible!

My kiddos have been fine so far with Sketchbook. It previously was 100% free but looks like they added an in app premium purchase (no subscription though):

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sketchbook/id883738213

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Duet is another victim of the trend to turn everything into a subscription, or as they call it "simplifying" their offering. It's an app for screen mirroring/extending, iydk.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Freeform on 16.2 might work if you download some templates and copy them in?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Original_Z posted:

Procreate is pretty easy to use and get into. There are a million Youtube tutorials for absolute beginners

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

anothergod posted:

Procreate is pretty easy to use and get into. There are a million Youtube tutorials for absolute beginners

For kids? Like, five year olds?! Who just want a colouring book?!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arivia posted:

For kids? Like, five year olds?! Who just want a colouring book?!

In modern parlance, a children's coloring book has predrawn images to fill in with colors. A drawing book is a sketchpad.

There's plenty of coloring book style apps thanks to that mental wellness fad froma few years back

Though i would actually recommend buying some real ones, so you can hang them up when your kids are done

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 22, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m a dumb idiot who clicked a text link from “UPS” trying to make a delivery to an incomplete address. I just moved so it made sense that a wire might have crossed but it loaded some random gibberish URL for a second then Google.

Anywho pretty sure I got phished on safari using the newest OS. Woops! Any precautions I should take other than closing the “maybe not actually google” tab? Could they have gotten password info?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Rolo posted:

I’m a dumb idiot who clicked a text link from “UPS” trying to make a delivery to an incomplete address. I just moved so it made sense that a wire might have crossed but it loaded some random gibberish URL for a second then Google.

Anywho pretty sure I got phished on safari using the newest OS. Woops! Any precautions I should take other than closing the “maybe not actually google” tab? Could they have gotten password info?

As long as your updated you're fine. Close the tab and move on.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Groovy, thanks.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The kid has finally monopolized the old iPad Pro 10.5. What’s a good new one to get for my wife? She’s not really technical, just needs something to dick around on the couch and maybe play some light non-controller games. Thinking the Air just for some longevity, but is that a good move?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Don’t sleep on a 9th Gen iPad I’d say. They’re cheap and are arguably more user friendly than the “modern” lineup. You can even use headphones that have cables with them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Well Played Mauer posted:

The kid has finally monopolized the old iPad Pro 10.5. What’s a good new one to get for my wife? She’s not really technical, just needs something to dick around on the couch and maybe play some light non-controller games. Thinking the Air just for some longevity, but is that a good move?

Yeah, question is how much are you willing to spend ?

iPad 9th gen is def still a good buy and you can always find it on discount. It’s rocking the A12 if I remember right, so it’s a 3 year old processor fyi.

If your budget is higher the current Air has lost everything anyone needs other than the 120 refresh rate and is def a solid buy.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

The air has a nicer screen and you might prefer the more modern design and fun colours, but if those things aren’t important, do consider the 9th gen iPad.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Thanks folks. I'll take a look. The 9th gen looks solid compared to the new Air.

e: What about an Air 4, assuming I can find one? It seems slightly more powerful than the 9th gen and supports the Pencil 2, which may be something she'll eventually want. Worth going for it if I can find a refurb?

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, question is how much are you willing to spend ?

iPad 9th gen is def still a good buy and you can always find it on discount. It’s rocking the A12 if I remember right, so it’s a 3 year old processor fyi.

If your budget is higher the current Air has lost everything anyone needs other than the 120 refresh rate and is def a solid buy.

It's an A13, same as my trusty iPhone 11 i bought at launch. drat good SoC. My only issue with it is the lack of FaceID, but fuuuck paying triple the cost for one feature.