Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

beep by grandpa posted:

Same exact manosphere "having hobbies or loving your kids is gay" horseshit these types fall prey to

It’s being unable to fathom why someone would devote time and energy to an activity that isn’t a direct path to either money, sex, or fame. A real man becomes a musician not because he loves music but as means to have a rock star lifestyle with a party mansion and endless poontang. Anyone who isn’t reaching for this goal is a gay loser. So Richard’s incredible skill at drumming is an enormous waste of time because “hot chicks” don’t care about death metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Hearing Howard having to pretend to like the Beer League premier was kinda entertaining.

Was the Dinner at Gary's also where the bar stool bits come from? That was pretty fun to listen to.

DangerDummy! posted:

God, I forgot this whole thing. I wanted to throw up listening to this.

Wasn't he standing on n the doorway yelling at Beth that it was time to leave while she was saying goodbye? Why invite him anywhere? Why do that to yourself?

Ugh, my Dad did this to us all the time. We'd all get in a fight about it and then we just stopped going because he'd say, "Well all we do is fight when we are at my cousin's house, so why go?"

I feel like I've turned this into the Boomer Thread. Let's get back on track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYQs3nY6e4E

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bonzo posted:

Was the Dinner at Gary's also where the bar stool bits come from? That was pretty fun to listen to.

I think that was Gary talking about his Super Bowl party (Howard didn't attend) and how his wife made him sit in the stools so that the guests would get the "good seats".

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

God, the show was so good back then.

AHHHH-YEAAAAAA

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I thought Gary's dinner party where howard left "early" was the one where Artie showed up late and they delayed dinner because of that. Or were there two of them

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

I thought Gary's dinner party where howard left "early" was the one where Artie showed up late and they delayed dinner because of that. Or were there two of them

It's the same party and Howard tries to use that as the reason why it all went awry.

I also heard Evil Dave's PSA recordings for the first time the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqyvAl633Vg

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

When Gary's dad died, they held up the funeral (or casket closing) for Artie. He shows up late (because he was buying heroin 2 states away) and then drops to his knees in front of the casket for an embarrassingly amount of time. Howard didn't make it because Beth "fell and broke her foot".

Remember the time Howard got pissed that he didn't get to sit close to the front of Ed Bradley's funeral? wtf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iZfDV9L4RU

Edit: Found a great new channel. There's about 6 hours of Mrs Howard Stern. This includes her 1st appearance and hollllly poo poo that girl never had a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFmbBIR6Qdg

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 30, 2022

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bonzo posted:

When Gary's dad died, they held up the funeral (or casket closing) for Artie. He shows up late (because he was buying heroin 2 states away) and then drops to his knees in front of the casket for an embarrassingly amount of time. Howard didn't make it because Beth "fell and broke her foot".

Lol hadn’t heard/dont remember this (hard to tell anymore, getting old sucks)

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Lou, that’s Lou Skunt

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Just ask for Lou. Lou Swasole.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I can fit an entire bowling pin up my rear end in a top hat.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DangerDummy! posted:

God, I forgot this whole thing. I wanted to throw up listening to this.

Wasn't he standing on n the doorway yelling at Beth that it was time to leave while she was saying goodbye? Why invite him anywhere? Why do that to yourself?

holy poo poo this sounds exactly like part of the story on Robert Durst before he killed his lady friend.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Shes Not Impressed posted:

It's the same party and Howard tries to use that as the reason why it all went awry.

I also heard Evil Dave's PSA recordings for the first time the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqyvAl633Vg

Hi this is Dave! I'm telling everyone to uhhhhh survive the Holocaust. Uhhhh we want you to uhhh cheer up.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Congrats to Howard's useless therapist for the most thorough, long-lasting robbery of a millionaire ever recorded in history. We should all strive to reach such excellence.

This kind of got glossed over, but add TM to the "I love giving money to crackpots" poo poo as well. You know they've fleeced him for a couple milly over the decades at least. And, I'm way the gently caress out of my depth here because I haven't listened to the current show in years, but isn't Howard involved in some other weird, cultish type poo poo right now? I am very willing to admit I just pulled that out of thin air,but it's been nagging me for a couple days.

Everyone loves hearing about dreams, right? I had a dream last night I was seeing was seeing an AGT taping at an abandoned mall with my family. We got split up at some point, so I decided to go on a water slide after getting kicked out of TGIFridays. My pants fell off on the water slide, and Howard and Ralph were waiting for me at the bottom so they could take pictures of my penis. I kept demurring, but they wouldn't leave me alone; they just kept asking to look at it. They were really weird and giggly about it.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

DangerDummy! posted:

This kind of got glossed over, but add TM to the "I love giving money to crackpots" poo poo as well. You know they've fleeced him for a couple milly over the decades at least. And, I'm way the gently caress out of my depth here because I haven't listened to the current show in years, but isn't Howard involved in some other weird, cultish type poo poo right now? I am very willing to admit I just pulled that out of thin air,but it's been nagging me for a couple days.
Howard got sucked into the Getting Things Done movement, which is how he found Marci Turk.

quote:

Everyone loves hearing about dreams, right? I had a dream last night I was seeing was seeing an AGT taping at an abandoned mall with my family. We got split up at some point, so I decided to go on a water slide after getting kicked out of TGIFridays. My pants fell off on the water slide, and Howard and Ralph were waiting for me at the bottom so they could take pictures of my penis. I kept demurring, but they wouldn't leave me alone; they just kept asking to look at it. They were really weird and giggly about it.
what the

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The TM stuff is from his Mom. I believe she got into meditation as a way to chill from all the mental health issues but at the time TM was about the only thing around. I'm sure most of Howard's "donations" were at the request of his mother or at least for her benefit. I agree that meditation is fantastic for mental health, but you don't have to pay top dollar for it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DangerDummy! posted:

... isn't Howard involved in some other weird, cultish type poo poo right now?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-woman-behind-howard-sternstern-1493675605

https://pagesix.com/2015/08/21/the-woman-responsible-for-howard-sterns-pc-behavior/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

It starts with paying a guy $3000 to setup a VCR and proceeds to having a 250k/year consultant tell me to delete all the spam in his inbox.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
He is also a dedicated follower of Sarno which is one of those fun situations where there is someone who makes some valid points but goes too far with it and builds a cult of personality around it. There was even someone praising him on Thursday Night Football yesterday. https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/10/2/16338094/dr-john-sarno-healing-back-pain

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I forgot about Sarno. You think he ever extolled the virtues of The Mind Body Connection to his pal Christopher Reeve?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

DangerDummy! posted:

I forgot about Sarno. You think he ever extolled the virtues of The Mind Body Connection to his pal Christopher Reeve?

It (curing back pain via Dr. Sarno) is also another way to rid yourself of the curse of homosexuality, according to Howard (when he was "out of his mind back then").

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Sand Monster posted:

It (curing back pain via Dr. Sarno) is also another way to rid yourself of the curse of homosexuality, according to Howard (when he was "out of his mind back then").

He held on to homosexuality being "curable" during the beginning of his Sirius run, and that Sarno was still the guy to do it. He walked back classifying it as a mental illness, but he still believed it was the byproduct of childhood trauma or whatever.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
With the gays I know having your back blown out only makes you gayer, not less

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Girlfriend and I were watching the movie Fall tonight and a Stern fan must have wrote it.

a huge plot point in the movie has to do with one character finding out her husband cheated on her with the main character. She finds this out because she has “143” tattooed on her ankle

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Bonzo posted:

The TM stuff is from his Mom. I believe she got into meditation as a way to chill from all the mental health issues but at the time TM was about the only thing around. I'm sure most of Howard's "donations" were at the request of his mother or at least for her benefit. I agree that meditation is fantastic for mental health, but you don't have to pay top dollar for it.

Yeah, TM might actually be one of the more healthy things that he did/does. It's not really a "cult" where you pay money to somebody constantly. If he was giving money to that yogi dude, it was of his own accord.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
He has talked about giving tons of money to TM organizations. It's another one of those things where they took something that actually does have measurable and proven benefits, but then used it to make a cult (or cults) of personality that became a big business. When you hear Howard talk about people he is going to interview or a book he read, he absolutely puts stuff he likes up so high on a pedestal that it's creepy. He absolutely is susceptible to this stuff and would probably be a Scientologist by now if he was broadcasting from LA.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I was just about to write Barbara Walters a note.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I was just about to write Barbara Walters a note.

Sorry I was just about to write the pope a note, can you repeat that

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Barbaf walter note

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Hey this is Barbara.

Barbara who?

Barbara Booey

Two Kings fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 31, 2022

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Two Kings posted:

Hey this Barbara.

Barbara who?

Barbara Booey

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Caroline’s comedy club closed tonight in NYC. Kind of weird after hearing so many comedians on the show plug bookings there over the years - especially Gilbert. Time keeps on slipping.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Oh wow, for good? I thought that place was sacred along the Comedy Cellar and Laugh Factory and would never go anywhere.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Are Reverend Bob Levy's various hole in the wall comedy club pop-ups still going though?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
A lot of volunteer firehouses closed during Covid.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
what about yuck yuck's in poughkeepsie

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Oh wow, for good? I thought that place was sacred along the Comedy Cellar and Laugh Factory and would never go anywhere.

Yeah looks like the landlord was going to raise the rent so he owner just decided to pack it in.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lifespan posted:

Looks like it's just a matter of the lease not being renewed, with plans to open elsewhere:

https://twitter.com/CarolinesonBway/status/1600263888880037888?t=cgsFYenigfyqgOqV9jc8Jg&s=19

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Eric the Midget Who Doesn’t Know poo poo About American Idol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Emily will be 40 years old this year. I also just learned that Emily's middle name is Beth. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HwfHDEpKU0