Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
That's the single thing that annoys me with Mekanism; gas is a fluid and there was no need to introduce gas pipes.

I still like to mess around with it, but that bit makes me grumpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It just occurred to me that you could probably do something involving xnet, since there's functionally for Mekanism gases, as well as wireless routing, so you could do an export on the reactor waste output and input on a SNR to get your Polonium outside.

In theory, anyways. :v:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I believe you can package Mek gasses into cells or something for item storage right? That's another possibly insane way of handling it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In the nuclear pipeline, what all gasses are involved other than steam? I'm just plotting this out since I want to make the Mek Armor to fight the crazy Silverfish boss in Stoneblock 3 and I need polonium. So I basically need a breeder reactor and nothing more.

Falcon2001 posted:

I believe you can package Mek gasses into cells or something for item storage right? That's another possibly insane way of handling it.

Hahaha don't enable me.

Edit: It's Stoneblock 3, not Skyblock 3.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 26, 2022

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

the final output after polonium can only exist in either a mek pipe or a nuclear waste barrel

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The main issue at hand is how to contain the fission reactor with the mercurial personality in a compact machine so when the server sneezes, the thing explodes in a contained space. This as opposed to having it something like five chunks away from everything else, which will cause its own chunk problems. I don't really like the whole "build everything in the same chunk as it but put it far away from everything" aspect on top of the "mob griefing's got nothing on me."

So if the water and fissile fuel can get in, and the steam and nuclear waste can get out, then whatever.

In Stoneblock 3, polonium pellets are the terminal path of the nuclear waste. Does that have to be in a nuclear waste barrel?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Is the Compact Machines dimension densely packed? Because the Mekanism radiation might contaminate nearby machines. Which would be very funny.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The path is Fissile Fuel (Liquid) + Water (Liquid) -> Fission Reactor -> Nuclear Waste (Gas) + Steam (Gas). Nuclear Waste either needs to go into a waste barrel to decay and vanish, or into a Solar Neutron Reactor to turn into Polonium.

An SNR needs direct line to the sun, so it won't work in a compact machine. Mekanism gases don't have a wall valve for compact machines, so you'd need some sort of wireless way to get it out of the compact machine and into a SNR.

Like I said, I think xnet's wireless routers would work, since they have cross-dimensional functionality and a Mekanism gas channel? But that's about all I can guess at, and depends on the pack having xnet to begin with.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Also if you have Mekanism you have Quantum Entangloporters, unless the pack disabled that for some reason.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

pseudorandom name posted:

Also if you have Mekanism you have Quantum Entangloporters, unless the pack disabled that for some reason.

Anything radioactive can't go through a QE - that's a base Mekanism limitation.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh, lame. And not mentioned in the wiki.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

It is, but only in the article about fission reactors and their operation.

quote:

Quantum Entangloporters cannot handle radioactive materials. As a result, it is not possible to make Polonium Pellets with a reactor in the nether (since the Solar Neutron Activator, which is required to produce Polonium from Nuclear Waste needs direct sunlight) or have a reactor in the overworld and store waste in the nether.
(source)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Does your modpack have Entangled Blocks?

ATM7 does, at the low low price of four Unobtainium Ingots for the block and two for the wrench.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Huh I think Stoneblock 3 must have done something with the pipeline because there is nothing involving sunlight that I see. The pack is all stone, all the way. There is no sky. The recipe chain didn't take me through any solar-related machines.

However, I will assume waste is still a gas in the pack and I would have to deal with it inside the machine.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

... How is one supposed to get polonium at all in stoneblock 3, then, since the entire game world is, y'know, underground? (I haven't been playing it myself, just watching a playthrough where they're starting on the mek reactor because of needing polonium singularities.)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh I think Stoneblock 3 must have done something with the pipeline because there is nothing involving sunlight that I see. The pack is all stone, all the way. There is no sky. The recipe chain didn't take me through any solar-related machines.

However, I will assume waste is still a gas in the pack and I would have to deal with it inside the machine.

So I just fired up the pack and yeah lmao that makes a lot more sense :doh:

So in Stoneblock 3 it's Nuclear Waste into a PRC to make Polonium, then another PRC to make pellets. You'd need to deal with the spent nuclear waste somehow, but SB3 does have xnet, which you could use with a wireless router setup to whisk the waste off to a storage compact machine full of waste drums or something.

Edit: Specifically, the entire chain of process is:

Water + Fissile Fuel into Fission Reactor
Fission Reactor outputs: Steam, Nuclear Waste
Nuclear Waste + Water + Sulfur Dust into a Pressurized Reaction Chamber
PRC 1 outputs: gaseous Polonium
Polonium + Water + Fluorite Dust into a Pressurized Reaction Chamber
PRC 2 outputs: Polonium Pellets + gaseous Spent Nuclear Waste

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 26, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How do I set up xnet wireless routing? I thought I followed McJty's tutorial but I don't get stuff moving. I don't see the remote channel on the source side but I do see it on the destination side. I am using the same name at all points. Nothing seems to move. I could post what I'm doing but I'm inclined to just start over from a specific procedure for, say, screwing around with a chest on each end.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Are there any quest driven packs that have the newer version of Create with the Trains in it?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have a train going on in Stoneblock 3, but I don't know how fresh it is. It is also very kitchen-sink so it is easy to cheap out and use motors instead of any of Create's power sources. That might not be a bad thing because one base on the server I play on turned my computer into a potato when all the boilers were going.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

1.16-1.18 quest packs are pretty sparse in general, I think everyone is waiting for 1.19 so we can have actual fluids again.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How do I set up xnet wireless routing?
Of course when I set it up again doing the exact same thing, it worked. There's probably some Skinner Box dance involved.

Edit: I think my problem is that the wireless router also requires its own power. It doesn't get powered through connectors. I still couldn't get Mekanism gases to work with it. It looks like there's a mod for Mekanism chemical support since it's a category in the GUI. I think I got 1000mb to go through once but I don't know what I did. It could well be that I just suck at chemical tanks, since I'm using a pair of tanks to figure it out. I configured such that one could output to the other if I used pressurized tubes, but the xnet connection didn't move anything.

Edit's Revenge: :wtf: I go on the server I'm playing on and find the steam had switched tanks. I fed in some more steam and it moved that too just fine. So I guess I had to ... log off and log back on to a chunkloaded area? Or something? :ghost:

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 28, 2022

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How fussy are Mekanism gas machines these days? I am trying to set up that chain of gasses for the fission reactor and nothing is going to anything. According to the Mekanism Wiki, stuff like the chemical infuser have very specific sides and they can't be reconfigured. I haven't been able to extract from any side of a rotary condensentrator. I was setting up a Mekanism centipede with machines going rear end to face but it looks like they can't be arranged that way at all.

Also: What happened with wrenches? I have to carry around, like, five different ones to do anything now.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How fussy are Mekanism gas machines these days? I am trying to set up that chain of gasses for the fission reactor and nothing is going to anything. According to the Mekanism Wiki, stuff like the chemical infuser have very specific sides and they can't be reconfigured. I haven't been able to extract from any side of a rotary condensentrator. I was setting up a Mekanism centipede with machines going rear end to face but it looks like they can't be arranged that way at all.

Also: What happened with wrenches? I have to carry around, like, five different ones to do anything now.

The wiki is for 1.7.x or 1.6.x or something and severely out of date. You can configure all the sides through the UI. They aren't picky at all. Generally, if it won't connect it's because you're using the wrong state of the fluid/gas.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, armed with that, I beat my head on it some more and got some progress. I figured out the configurator could be set to gases in particular. I think half the time I was mixing items and gases. Mostly it was because I kept switching around between machines and then I'd rotate one while screwing around. However, the rotary condensentrator still needed a pressurized pipe to extract. I couldn't just poop it into the mouth of an adjacent machine.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I've been playing All of Fabric 6 on a server with some friends. I made a Create setup to make the Croptopia recipe for Fish and Chips, but I have a problem:

As you can see, all my mechanical crafters have the filter applied with the ingredient that needs to go in the particular slot, and the depots are set up around the arm to acts as inputs. (Some depots are hidden thanks to angle but they're there). The Brass Funnel with the Brass Filter is set up to accept "tag:minecraft_fishes", and I have the same brass filter on the chest that pulls the fish out onto a depot, so I know that works.

However, when powering the arm, it puts the ingredients it can grab wherever it wants to, ignoring the filters completely. The inputs are still accepted, so the funnels are aimed correctly, but it just won't put the ingredients in the right places. Any clue on why it does this?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Well, my Mekanism fission reactor melted down inside the compact machine after producing . . . the 8 polonium I needed.

I'm not sure what triggered it because I should be able to keep water going to it even without the closed loop. I had the turbine vent excess steam and I was steam positive, so I would at some point break that closed loop.

Also, it looks like the toxic waste storage in Mekanism zeroes it out or something; nothing actually accumulates in it but the spent liquid waste was definitely trying to go there.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
In 1.18 nuclear waste will decay, I think 10mb every so often?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmm then it could have been decaying quicker than I was producing it then. I can't actually discount that.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, depending on how big the reactor is, you can easily outpace spent nuclear waste production.

Does Stoneblock 3 have sinks from Cooking for Blockheads? That's how I cool my fission reactors. :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Nah, you're kinda stuck with either Water Egg-producing Resource Chickens and Create drains or tons of Aqueous Accumulators.

There's some wacky poo poo in Stoneblock. ExtendedeXchange is absurd and remarkably not laggy for how much EMC you generate. You don't even really need power flowers strapped to Condensers, just one of the MK15 collectors that generates 671 million EMC/second.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jan 3, 2023

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Pity. Here's my sink-cooled polonium maker setup. :v:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

yup, there's something extremely fucky about water and Soneblock 3, I've had 2 reactors melt down so far.

The only way I can seem to keep it stable is by using using the projectE water charm thing in a mek tank, from what I've seen the more you use of other mods the more likely it is to go boom

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

The defaults are 20k mb/tick per 1mb/tick of fuel burn.

IME the issue tends to be throughput. You need Ultimate-tier Mekanism fluid pipes to keep up (32kmb/tick) and/or multiple connection points (like how in my screenshot above, I have four connections to the sink each with tier 3 Pipez upgrades for 4 * 10kmb/tick to keep up with a 2mb/tick burn rate).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

AceClown posted:

yup, there's something extremely fucky about water and Soneblock 3, I've had 2 reactors melt down so far.

The only way I can seem to keep it stable is by using using the projectE water charm thing in a mek tank, from what I've seen the more you use of other mods the more likely it is to go boom

...wait what, that didn't even occur to us. My buddy is using just fields of fully-juiced accumulators. Guess as long as you're pumping enough water, it's probably fine.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

who the hell thought MineTogether was a good idea for a mod, and why is it in Stoneblock 3

gave that about five seconds before turning it off

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The only thing more fun than MineTogether in Stoneblock 3 is having to install the update of Stoneblock 3 as a new instance and having to see it again.

Speaking of Stoneblock 3, what should I be packing into the fight against the Mother Silverfish? I've got a full Mek suit with full energy upgrades. The helmet has that upgrade to resist debuffs, the legs have that thing to harness fire, and the chest has a jetpack.

I just rolled out three revolvers with the extra capacity and shock upgrade, with armor-piercing bullets, and then a bunch of fast reloaders with armor-piercing bullets.

For melee, I am wondering if I should play with enchanting (is there anything in the pack to make enchanting swords more deterministic?). The refined obsidian swords have great specs but I haven't tried to enchant one yet.

I haven't played with Ars Nouveau at all so I don't know if there's some nuke spell or whatever I should be using there.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I haven't done the fight yet. Hoping my 32 damage Meka-Tool will be sufficient.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I did it with just the two ProjectE rings that give creative flight and arrow shooting. Wasn't all that hard.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What does MineTogether do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

McFrugal posted:

What does MineTogether do?

turns your system info and command line in to a zero moderation twitch chat

StealthArcher posted:

I did it with just the two ProjectE rings that give creative flight and arrow shooting. Wasn't all that hard.

same, I also did it once then cheated in 2 stacks of hearts and never thought about it again because gently caress minecraft combat