Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Gerblyn posted:

I have close to 300 hours in the game, and I think I've had maybe 2 or 3 crashes or hangs. There are also minor glitches like charge sometimes not working properly, or the fact that using a Cure Wounds spell doesn't work half the time in turn based (which apparently is due to some stupid PnP rule).

The game's certainly a bit janky, no argument there, but I've not had anything close to what you describe. It has been patched a ton right now, so maybe I missed the bad old broken days.

I didn't have many bugs in WotR either. I think some of it is that I lack the depth of knowledge of the Pathfinder rules to get too crazy with my character builds, and so I missed most of the niche bugs - and there were/are a lot of those apparently. Things like bonuses stacking when they shouldn't or not stacking when they should.

If I didn't follow online discussions about the game I'd never recognize the majority of the bugs, even if I was actually experiencing them. So I guess there are a lot of bugs; it's just that after the first few patches most people either didn't experience them or didn't notice.

Now the charge thing, that I noticed when I first started playing. Once they "fixed" it, I haven't had any problems charging apart from the sometimes questionable way the game calculates whether there is an obstruction in your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Taear posted:

I mean other than the first sentence what does that have to do with what I posted? I said the engine was good!

Although it annoys me that stuff stands on the side of walls and I can't say to my spiderclimb guys to do the same (I know they'll stop and attack, but I mean I can't specifically say "please stand here")

I was responding to this comment you posted:

Taear posted:

I'm really surprised by how positive the reactions to the game are in the thread.

<snip>

It's also frustrating that my Dragonborn without darkvision is constantly at a disadvantage, stuff you expect to cast light - like the fuckoff big runes on the stuff in the Monastery/Master quests - don't. Having to cast light because of it is just a pain. Because the story is so poo poo and badly connected I'm getting really tired of the battles. If they HAD just pitched it as a dungeon crawler I think I'd have been a lot happier with it

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, there are few things I hate more than the prebuffing needed in most DnD games. I´ve heard that there are people who enjoy watching their characters get buff after buff casted on their characters and I can only shake my head in disbelief.

This was so central to the early editions that it really took 4E to break the hold prepping had on the game. My 2E archmage would routinely have 20-30 spells running when entering combat.

My experience in Pathfinder 1E (after playing some 4E) really underlined the point: our four-PC group all had some prebuff ability. By the time we hit L9, we'd have 14+ spells running on every PC, and we'd run ten-minute dungeons where our objective was to tank or bypass traps and rush through to kill all the enemies before backtracking to do all the time-consuming stuff, because our buffs wouldn't last long enough otherwise. I estimate that the buffing meant our party overperformed by somewhere in the 2-4 level range. Our GM set up a random combat encounter in town once, and my PC dropped to 0 hp in the first round because we had none of our buffs running and he'd tailored the challenge to our buffed capacity.

Beyond the potential boredom of all the buffing and tracking all the changes and handling dispel attempts and the like, the biggest problem is that the GM will have trouble balancing encounters because "prebuffed" vs "not prebuffed" leads to such a huge variance in PC ability and survival.

One of the things about 5E that Solasta gets right is that you want some fights to go very rapidly (2-3 rounds) and involve little or no spell use, and a few fights to last long enough that casting duration spells actually makes good sense. Of course, they're still stuck with spells like Spirit Guardians that are very good and have a multi-combat duration, but at higher levels that one spell won't win fights for you unless you have multiple casters.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

rojay posted:

Now the charge thing, that I noticed when I first started playing. Once they "fixed" it, I haven't had any problems charging apart from the sometimes questionable way the game calculates whether there is an obstruction in your way.

Yea the charge bug happened tonnes but also things like Kineticist abilities STILL dont work across BOTH games which to me is mental. I'm not talking crashing (I never had a crash) just stuff like that.
And lack of quality of life, why can't I speed up my guys when I'm walking across places?
It's janky, rather than straight up "this doesn't work at all", you know?

And yea the fact that some fights unless you know the system really well (or use a guide like I did) you CANNOT do without reducing the difficulty a lot properly sucks. Wrath's a big step up from Kingmaker at least which was literally unplayable at release, a buggy horrible mess.

Just picked up a book in Solasta about the "Elven Wars"
The voice actor said "the eleven wars". Which loving blows my mind

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Maybe there were eleven elven wars, elves are kinda dicks in Solasta's default campaign setting.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

EclecticTastes posted:

Maybe there were eleven elven wars, elves are kinda dicks in Solasta's default campaign setting.

I mean that would have been fine! But she definitely picked up the book called "The Elven Wars" and said "Ah, the Eleven Wars" about it

The fight with the Defiler
I had him at half health then suddenly the dragon woke up and killed him (I think?) which teleported him into the middle of the room. Man that was a weird bit. And the way the irish dragon pronounced Paladins! Man

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 1, 2023

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Yea the charge bug happened tonnes but also things like Kineticist abilities STILL dont work across BOTH games which to me is mental. I'm not talking crashing (I never had a crash) just stuff like that.

I made an Ice Kineticist merc so I could have a character using an Elsa avatar. I remember the class being kind of underwhelming, except for the fact that the form which lets you do a big AoE around yourself was bugged and didn't cost burn. Good times!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

I made an Ice Kineticist merc so I could have a character using an Elsa avatar. I remember the class being kind of underwhelming, except for the fact that the form which lets you do a big AoE around yourself was bugged and didn't cost burn. Good times!

That's the kinda stuff I mean, I know you're a game dev so I'm not going to say "that should be easy to fix" or anything but gently caress it's been a bug since they first introduced the class in Kingmaker!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

That's the kinda stuff I mean, I know you're a game dev so I'm not going to say "that should be easy to fix" or anything but gently caress it's been a bug since they first introduced the class in Kingmaker!

It's hard to say, I have no idea how there stuff works but to be honest it does kind of sound easy to fix.

What I can imagine is they have a huge list of bugs in their task management system, and that stuff like this gets kicked down the list in favor of other things that are considered more important, like a quest progress blockers or rare crashes.

It sucks, but it's unfortunately inevitable when you have a game as complex as this!

Taear posted:

And yea the fact that some fights unless you know the system really well (or use a guide like I did) you CANNOT do without reducing the difficulty a lot properly sucks. Wrath's a big step up from Kingmaker at least which was literally unplayable at release, a buggy horrible mess.

Yeah, this is why I like WOTR and not KM, the game's balance is still all over the place but it's got far less "lol, gently caress you" moments in it. I remember in an early zone in KM, I had to reload 5 times to get past a fireball trap that my party kept failing to spot/disarm.

It's also why I like Solasta, so much. I never needed a guide to figure out mechanics or how to make a good class or how to get past a tricky fight, it's much more intuitive and streamlined. It just misses the absurd build variety that keeps puling me back to WOTR.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

It's nice that (for the most part, feats are pretty rubbish with some notable exceptions) 5th hasn't got any trap options but I just find it extremely boring, there's no trap options because there's no options

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I like the plot of this game more than I liked any part of BG2 and I know that is considered sacrilege, but I grew fond of these goofball guys I made, down to the "pick your main character" option.

But I was always in the BG1 > BG2 boat, so I dunno.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I really dislike that you're clearly meant to throw everything you've got at these ambushes (it does tell you this) but sometimes you don't get to rest, so you're absolutely hosed when you get to the next place

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I never used more than 50% of my resources in any fight. But it does seem to anticipate you use some consumables when you are struggling and abuse healing word strats.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mordaedil posted:

I never used more than 50% of my resources in any fight. But it does seem to anticipate you use some consumables when you are struggling and abuse healing word strats.

Sometimes ambushes are way higher level than you and you kinda haven't got a choice

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

Sometimes ambushes are way higher level than you and you kinda haven't got a choice

I thought ambushes only happened during a rest? That means you can finishing resting afterwards, right?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gerblyn posted:

I thought ambushes only happened during a rest? That means you can finishing resting afterwards, right?

Nope, there's a mix
The ones that end with you clicking on a fire are ones that happen in a rest. It's maybe 40% of them for me that

I hate when you spend an entire bit with a specific character doing the dialogue - my Sorcerer was talking to the orcs because she speaks Orcish - then at the end a different character acted like they were friends with the orcs and my sorcerer was all "gross, orcs"
So stupid

Volcano spoilers:
So I can't leave through the big door without opening the box. Even if I leave the stuff IN the box the green dragon attacks me and my characters all respond as if I took what was in there. That's so poo poo!

Taear fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 2, 2023

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
While the delivered campaigns aren't the greatest, hopefully the mods/dungeons keep this game going a long while. I just finished a workshop dungeon/campaign, against the slavers. It's VERY well put together, and due to my party build, had the toughest fight I've seen so far in Solasta. I'm also using the unfinished business mod from nexus, it adds a ton of sub classes as well as artificer, tons of 5e feats, and is updated quite frequently, it really adds a lot, including multi-classing.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2544445729

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Final battle
I didn't expect another fight after the one against the Tschar. How many turns do I need to last for? I've got like 5 hp on each character and no spell slots left. I think I might just give up but if it's only 5 turns or something I can do that

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ratchild13 posted:

While the delivered campaigns aren't the greatest, hopefully the mods/dungeons keep this game going a long while. I just finished a workshop dungeon/campaign, against the slavers. It's VERY well put together, and due to my party build, had the toughest fight I've seen so far in Solasta. I'm also using the unfinished business mod from nexus, it adds a ton of sub classes as well as artificer, tons of 5e feats, and is updated quite frequently, it really adds a lot, including multi-classing.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2544445729

The modding and player content is a big positive for Solasta over BG3 IMO. (Plus I strongly prefer turn-based over real-time with pause combat.)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

BG3 isn't RTwP. It already has a pretty solid mod scene, too, even if it may not ever get the ability to make custom adventures or whatnot. Could, though - D:OS2 had that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Taear posted:

Final battle
I didn't expect another fight after the one against the Tschar. How many turns do I need to last for? I've got like 5 hp on each character and no spell slots left. I think I might just give up but if it's only 5 turns or something I can do that

I think it's exactly 5 turns is that you need to hold out for.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think it's exactly 5 turns is that you need to hold out for.

Yea you're right. Put it on story and managed it.
The end splashes had every single line not match the subtitles and said "never again would so many gods unite their forces to push through the barrier" and I'm going "...what?". Wasn't it just one god?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Taear posted:

Yea you're right. Put it on story and managed it.
The end splashes had every single line not match the subtitles and said "never again would so many gods unite their forces to push through the barrier" and I'm going "...what?". Wasn't it just one god?

All the gods save the one they were escaping pushed through the barrier to get to another world in the original event, and that’s what was being referenced, not the attempt of the one they escaped to follow.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

More ending stuff.

It's a bit sus and weird to have the end be "all the evil in the world is because of lizards disguised as important people". Did David Eyke write this game

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Anyone know of a custom map of some variety that is just "talk to npc receive xp" or similar? With Terminal Reverie out a few friends and I were gonna do a full 1-20 campaign and I want to test out UB settings to make sure everything works fine to 20.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Azhais posted:

Anyone know of a custom map of some variety that is just "talk to npc receive xp" or similar? With Terminal Reverie out a few friends and I were gonna do a full 1-20 campaign and I want to test out UB settings to make sure everything works fine to 20.

Havent tried it though
It might not have data from the last update. I forget when that was.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2787126051

code:
-Strorage from basic to high tier
-Merchants
-Level Up room (1-12)
-training room (just a little)
------------------
-In the Level Up room use the buttom for your next level, each one is for one level avobe the pre level
(for levl 6 you should be lvl 5)
-There is a button to turn the light on/off in the room, the other summons creatures, be careful.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 5, 2023

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/tct_adventures/status/1633920594537316361

Ya'll keep those Crown of the Magister campaign saves?

Although I may want to switch up my classes and lineages.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

quote:

New Dungeon Maker content:

Four new environments: Mountain Caves (indoor), Dwarven City (indoor), Dwarven Settlement (outdoor), Snowy Hills (outdoor)

New monsters: Monsters from Palace of Ice will be available to use in the Dungeon Maker

[FREE] New World Map System: Place your locations on one of the three existing World Maps (Crown of the Magister, Lost Valley & Palace of Ice), link them together and add some spice with Random Encounters during travel!

[FREE] New NPC Follower System: Create follower NPCs who can join the party (controllable) to give them a hand during combat!

World map support for the dungeon maker gonna be amazing

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Kinda sad there’s no new classes, but the higher level cap sounds cool.

Might make an all gnome team, Shorties save Solasts!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gerblyn posted:

Kinda sad there’s no new classes, but the higher level cap sounds cool.

Might make an all gnome team, Shorties save Solasts!

loving finally adding gnomes. Weirdest thing they left out that was in the SRD.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I make all halfling teams since solasta seems to think a d20 has 8 1s on it

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I think Solasta started out as the cheaper alternative to BG3.
But they have now DLCed their way past it pricewise but does it have the same amount of content yet?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
There are 2 official campaigns that are about 30ish hours each.

I’ve played 3 player created campaigns that each took about 20ish hours.

This is more of a toolbox like Neverwinter Nights than BG3 imo

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

OgNar posted:

I think Solasta started out as the cheaper alternative to BG3.
But they have now DLCed their way past it pricewise but does it have the same amount of content yet?

Depends on what you mean. With the Dungeon Maker, there's theoretically infinite content, but it's admittedly not as deep or as detailed as most other CRPGs these days. Solasta also has more subclasses implemented than Larian's managed so far. There's also the fact that for some reason, Larian has optimized BG3 so poorly that a lot of midrange PCs can't run it*, so for a lot of people, it's less a question of which has more content, and more one of which one can be run at all. Plus I've heard very little positive about Larian's combat system, and given I bounced off their previous work pretty hard, I'm inclined to believe it.

*Edit: To provide some context here, I did some quick comparisons of very recent games with system reqs and my own PC via Benchmark Detector, and if I wantd, I could play Overwatch 2 or Like A Dragon: Ishin, right now, but not Baldur's Gate 3. The isometric CRPG requires a more powerful graphics card than the multiplayer FPS and open-world action game. Call me unreasonable, but I think CRPGs should, as a rule, keep their system requirements fairly low, compared to other games, rather than on-par with Returnal or a couple other games I'm not naming due to both of them being mired in a bunch of toxicity. This also isn't even getting into the fact that 150 GB is pretty fuckin' huge, even with modern HDDs being as big as they are.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 9, 2023

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

This is great news. I like the game and the people making custom adventures are reminding me of NWN except I actually want to play this game. And they keep adding to the functionality of the tools, which is nifty.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

*Edit: To provide some context here, I did some quick comparisons of very recent games with system reqs and my own PC via Benchmark Detector, and if I wantd, I could play Overwatch 2 or Like A Dragon: Ishin, right now, but not Baldur's Gate 3. The isometric CRPG requires a more powerful graphics card than the multiplayer FPS and open-world action game. Call me unreasonable, but I think CRPGs should, as a rule, keep their system requirements fairly low, compared to other games, rather than on-par with Returnal or a couple other games I'm not naming due to both of them being mired in a bunch of toxicity. This also isn't even getting into the fact that 150 GB is pretty fuckin' huge, even with modern HDDs being as big as they are.
You are perfectly reasonable to think that and I agree. Are they using uncompressed graphics with the game set up like cave 1 has cave1.bmp textures and cave 2 has the completely identical cave2.bmp textures and cave 3 has the also identical cave3.bmp textures or something? (disclaimer, I do not know anything about programming)

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 10, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

BG3 is more like Dragon Age Inquisition than a regular isometric game. It's a lot of expensive high end graphics

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Invoking DAI as a comparison seems very unfair to what is a very reactive and satisfying party-based cRPG. I imagine you just meant the graphics - and the game looks amazing while, Ike, running well for what you’re getting with DLSS especially.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FuzzySlippers posted:

BG3 is more like Dragon Age Inquisition than a regular isometric game. It's a lot of expensive high end graphics

Expensive high end graphics that still somehow manage to look kind of unremarkable. It’s impressive in a way.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Taear posted:

It's extremely buggy and hosed up
So many bugs that in any other game would get it completely slated, but people NEED a game like that.

Even people who love it - and don't get me wrong, it's been interesting to play - say the same

I'm sorry you've had that experience. It sucks that you've seen so many bugs.

I haven't seen many, but I can totally understand where you're coming from - I'm willing to overlook a LOT for a real Dungeons and Dragons style game. The characters are hideous, the voice acting is a joke (but I think it, like, actually is meant to be a joke - could be wrong), and some of the dungeons are frustrating enough to get The Fade Award from Dragon Age Origins. That said, I adore this game to bits and have had a blast making different parties.

This is a very fun game with some head-scratching bits. But I can't say I've seen bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I had to stop last year after the DLC came out and my party got stuck with a character that couldnt follow.
Though that bug has been fixed by now.
I was going to restart the DLC last week but somehow ended up starting a game of NWN2: Storm of Zahir instead.