Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Sanctum posted:

I passed on Scara because the team comps for him seemed super restrictive. If you use his specialized artifact set then you'll want a support VV AND a shielder, right? That leaves you with one (1) flex character to apply an element. Sounds like Scara's team options are kinda one-dimensional. :geno:

Wanderer likes having Faruzan, as she really boosts his damage, and a shielder since he's pretty vulnerable to certain ranged and homing attacks. Neither of those things are a must, and there's decent overlap. Like Layla for example is wonderful since she gives him a decent shield and Cryo application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i s2g yelan better be the coolest

PatentPending
Nov 27, 2007

[1950s eel-based dad joke]
Cool, thanks. No chance I’m going to have the primogems for her then!

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'm assuming Layla needs to be decently built because trying to drag her around without 100% burst uptime doesn't give you reliable cryo infusion at all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
If you're like me and you've missed a buttload of events from this game, I found this youtube channel that collects all the story/cutscenes from the game: https://www.youtube.com/c/GenshinImpactQuestArchive/playlists

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Just started playing this game to play along with my kids.

The OP says a few things about builds and characters but I’m not sure how to assemble a proper party. I’m only AR 22 so don’t really have to worry just yet but I’d hate to start pulling for characters that don’t fit well with others.

Currently I have the free chars Amber/Lisa/Noelle/Kaeya and got Sayu/Rosario from pulls.

How do I figure out which characters I should pull for and which onss should I avoid?

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009
Each character that is on rate-up will have a trial run in the events tab. It isn't totally representative of how they'll play (and they tend to be paired only with free character teammates for these trials), but gives some indication of how they feel at least and you can see how their bursts/skills work instead of just reading talent descriptions.

Once you get partway into the abyss, you will be able to pickup two more free characters, Xiangling (Pyro) and Collei (Dendro). Xiangling in particular is really good. Barbara (Hydro) should also be available to you soon (complete a certain story quest).

Yuwe fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 1, 2023

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

The OP says a few things about builds and characters but I’m not sure how to assemble a proper party. I’m only AR 22 so don’t really have to worry just yet but I’d hate to start pulling for characters that don’t fit well with others.

Currently I have the free chars Amber/Lisa/Noelle/Kaeya and got Sayu/Rosario from pulls.

How do I figure out which characters I should pull for and which onss should I avoid?

You should pull for the 5* limited wish banner characters, and hope that the 4*s on that banner are also something you'd like. As far as which 5*s you should pull for, that's up to you. None of them are garbage. Raiden is currently up and is generally pretty highly recommended since she's very powerful and slots into a lot of teams, but that doesn't mean it would be the wrong choice to pull for Ayato if you like his playstyle/aesthetics more. Or pull for neither and save for someone else.

There are only 2 available at any given time so you can look into them online if you'd like. There's also an in-game trial. Do be aware that you need to reach Inazuma (AR35) to get the materials required to level up Inazuman characters though, which includes Raiden/Ayato on the current banners.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 1, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For the most part, a good party in Genshin is one where all four characters are always contributing something. Whether it's hitting the enemies themselves, applying elements to enable other characters to use strong elemental reactions, applying buffs or debuffs to improve the party's damage, healing or shielding, etc. If you can go ~20 seconds without swapping to one of your party members, and the party still feels the same to play, that's a bad sign. (In the early game this is less true, since you have a lower "energy recharge" stat from gear and can't use elemental bursts as often, and many units only contribute from off field using their bursts -- like kaeya's rotating icicles.)

The basic rule of thumb is that if a 5-star character is "selfish" (mostly focused on doing damage on their own, doesn't buff other characters, needs to stay on the field to do damage) you should think twice about pulling for them. After all, only 1 of your 4-character party can be on the field and attacking stuff at a time, the other 3 are swapped out. So if you have a character who only helps out when they're on field or attacking, that means whenever any other character is doing something, you're breaking the "all four party members contributing" rule.

You want a max of 1 selfish dps on a team but there are also many good teams that use 0. So generally avoid characters like that unless you have the desire to build a team around them and already have the units you wanna use to do it. If a character is support-y and gives good buffs to others, or has lots of elemental application from off-field to help others get lots of reactions, you can't really go wrong. some won't be best-in-slot but they're all useful and most are flexible for a variety of teams.

so looking at the current banners:

• Ayato is mostly an on field damage dealer. His burst summons a circle of rain that applies a pretty decent amount of hydro over time so you can sort of use him in a supportive role to get lots of freeze or bloom reactions going, but most of the time Ayato is only helping you out when Ayato is hitting baddies with a sword. So he's mostly on the selfish side of the scale, but with a bit of team utility, making him still a lot more flexible than a character like diluc or keqing who mostly only attack.
  • On the other hand, Raiden brings way more teamwide benefits. She gives buffs to burst damage, she restores lots of energy so other characters can burst more often, and her zappy eye thing provides a constant but slow-ish stream of electro reactions which is super powerful for dendro-based teams and useful in some others too. She also does pretty great damage herself, but her personal damage isn't why she's one of the best characters in the game.

There's a ton of variety in teams though and the value of a character can change a lot depending on which units you already have that synergize with them, so if you're unsure you can always ask in the thread.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You want a max of 1 selfish dps on a team but there are also many good teams that use 0. So generally avoid characters like that unless you have the desire to build a team around them and already have the units you wanna use to do it. If a character is support-y and gives good buffs to others, or has lots of elemental application from off-field to help others get lots of reactions, you can't really go wrong. some won't be best-in-slot but they're all useful and most are flexible for a variety of teams.

There's a big asterisk here that all this advice is for single-player. OP said they're playing along with their kids, so if they're able to do multiplayer stuff with them, selfish DPSes become much more valuable, since multiplayer lets everyone bring in their own DPS to be on-field at all times and let's you do things with multi-DPS comps that aren't possible in single-player.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LochNessMonster posted:

Outside the standard "Only ever use primos to wish on the limited banner, only wish on the standard banner when the game gives you free blue wishes to use" advice, I'd say honestly, dont worry about it too much more than "Do I like/want this character". Using your free wishes you'll end up with enough 4* characters to build a decent enough team around whichever 5* characters you get. While there are characters you wouldnt typically put in a team together, having a wide/versatile roster is also handy.

Nature of the game, some bosses/enemies are weak to certain elements, so you find yourself in situations where, for example, you want to get better artifacts for your pyro DPS character. But that domain is a pain in the backside if you dont have decent hydro/ice characters. So you need to level your hydro support to help with that. But the hydro support needs drops from the oceanid to level, and that fight is an absolute bucket of dicks for a lot of teams, it would be helpful if you had that 4* electro archer levelled to deal with the drat birds. Luckily the fight to get the drops she needs to level is a piece of cake if you have a pyro DPS, so you start there. Then it turns out the hydro support you'd never bothered really using is one of the best characters in the game and you feel like kind of an idiot for not levelling them sooner. Not that I'm speaking from personal experience.

Anyway, in general, if you pick 2 characters you like there will probably be a way to make them work in a team. It might not be a meta team, but it'll be good enough to take on most challenges in the overworld/main quests. So no real need to worry aobut 2 characters not working together. The high level meta team builiding is for when you are wanting to do the last floors of the spiral abyss (a thing you never need to do, and in fact I've never bothered). You can use them for ideas, but even then, unless you are whaling hard a lot of the time it'll be "This team uses a 5* I dont have. If I sub in a 4* of the same element (or same niche as a shielder/healer/DPS/whatever) can I make that work?".

And there are only a few characters (all 4*) who are just outright bad. You however cant really avoid them as you always have a chance of getting any 4* afaik, you are just more likely to get the ones shown on the banner you are rolling on. Its not the end of the world, you dont have to level them til you have nothing else to do, and maybe by then something about the game will have changed to make them find a niche. As it stands in the early game it might be worth looking characters up to see where their levelling materials are found, if they are in Inazuma/Ekanomiya then maybe dont go hard on their banner as theres a bunch of main quests to do before you can go there, so probably dont prioritize those.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tree Reformat posted:

There's a big asterisk here that all this advice is for single-player. OP said they're playing along with their kids, so if they're able to do multiplayer stuff with them, selfish DPSes become much more valuable, since multiplayer lets everyone bring in their own DPS to be on-field at all times and let's you do things with multi-DPS comps that aren't possible in single-player.

True! And there are some characters that are really great team buffers in single player but just don't work at all in co-op for no good reason, like Zhongli.
Co-op in genshin is kind of a weird afterthought a lot of the time

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Its worth noting the game's difficulty is so low that you can run a team like geo traveler, qiqi, Lisa, Amber with unleveled talents alll at c0 up to 60s if you level up your artifacts and weapons.
Also basically getting a character from 1-40 is so cheap with easily farmed mats there's no real problem trying out who seems fun.
Heck Keqing mains site is all abput finding ways to make the character you want to play as viable as possible.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Lots of great advice, thanks so much. I’m indeed playing with my mids but since they’re in the AR 50s I’ve got some catching up to do.

They’ve given me similar advice as y’all have been posting with regards to only pull on the purple (intertwining?) fates for primos. By the looks at the odds it seems I’ll just keep pulling for 5* and see with which 4* I end up with and take it from there.

How do I see what role a character is and use it appropriately? One of my kids use Shogun as DPS for example but here I see it mainly mentioned as support.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
gently caress. Talk of doing multiplayer made me want to convince my wife to start playing.

With co-op, do enemies get harder when you're in co-op (ala something like Diablo) or is it just strictly a player advantage?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

LochNessMonster posted:

You are aware of the unusual nature of the Genshin 'pity' banner system, right? A guarantee once you've spent enough rolls that carries over between banners? It's important to game the system.

LochNessMonster posted:

How do I see what role a character is and use it appropriately? One of my kids use Shogun as DPS for example but here I see it mainly mentioned as support.

Mostly? Familiarity with the game and hearing about it on the internet. Your kids are... wrong, I guess, but also not wrong - Raiden CAN deal good damage, but she's not a DPS in the sense usually meant. She deals damage by having everybody else use their ults, which charges up HER ult, which she then deals a bunch of damage during, and also incidentally charges up their ults. If you're doing this, she does well in a team with damaging burst ultimates.

Her other, equally-if-not-more-common use, is her skill which adds an Electro hit on top of any other hit somebody else deals, which helps with energy generation (Electro is good at that) and elemental reactions (most notable for Electro+Dendro reactions). And in that case she's not in any sense a DPS, but definitely enables some fun stuff.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress. Talk of doing multiplayer made me want to convince my wife to start playing.

With co-op, do enemies get harder when you're in co-op (ala something like Diablo) or is it just strictly a player advantage?

My kids carried me through some zones oneshotting everything in sight. Pretty sure mobs don’t scale up.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Mordiceius posted:

Yes, there is co-op scaling based on the number of players

pre:
Players    Enemy Base HP	Enemy Base ATK
1	      100%	            100%
2	      150%	            110%
3	      200%	            125%
4	      250%	            140%
Note that that scaling is based off of whatever they have for the host, so if you have someone way overleveled join you they'll still smash through everything with ease. And a person can only join a host who has an AR equal to or lesss than theirs.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 1, 2023

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

SiKboy is absolutely right. Also as you wish (on any banner) you'll slowly gain 2 types of glitter currency. These can be turned in to get certain 4* characters, which can be useful if you're really unlucky like me an never pull Bennet or Xingqiu, two of the best 4* in the game. This is the shop's monthly character rotation for glitter. You probably won't have enough glitter for a character for a while, but Xingqiu is up in March and is a very very good pick. We will also be getting a free 4* character of your choice from Liyue in January so long as you do the Lanturn Rite seasonal event. Most of us seasoned players will be picking up the brand new Liyue dendro 4* that will debute during the event, but Beidou and Xingqiu are also very solid choices.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

LochNessMonster posted:

One of my kids use Shogun as DPS for example but here I see it mainly mentioned as support.

Raiden is very versatile, it's what makes her such a good unit. Depending on her gear and the kind of team she's on, she can be support or DPS. Usually, when you're playing single player, she's a support that becomes a DPS when her burst is up.

I think this spreadsheet is what people usually refer to when they want to see recommended builds. It might be information overload for someone new to the game, you can't even get into the domains for good artifact sets until you're AR30.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

LochNessMonster posted:

Roles are kind of hazy in Genshin tbh. Some are obvious, Healers and Shielders for example, although even with those there are some "This character heals a bit under certain circumstances", "This healer typically uses an artifact set that damages enemies as it heals" and "This character shields a bit but its not reliable enough to be their main thing". Anyone can be DPS in theory. Some characters leave turrets on the field, or create a zone of elemental damage, or use an ability that imbues all attacks with an element, then swaps out for a second character to pop off their elemental reactions, doing a lot of damage, so who is DPS, the on field guy triggering vapourise with his fire, or the off field "support" character whos hydro is causing that to do a ton of damage? Some teams dont really have a single DPS character, you are jumping between characters and using abilities which causes a mess of explosions until everything dies. And sometimes a character is onfield in one team, but off field support for another.

If you want a real quick and dirty categorization, look at their abilities. If all of the abilities just straight up do immediate damage to enemies, DPS. If their abilities heal, shield or buff whoever the character on field currently is, support. If they do both then its on how you use them.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

John Lee posted:

You are aware of the unusual nature of the Genshin 'pity' banner system, right? A guarantee once you've spent enough rolls that carries over between banners? It's important to game the system.

Mostly? Familiarity with the game and hearing about it on the internet. Your kids are... wrong, I guess, but also not wrong - Raiden CAN deal good damage, but she's not a DPS in the sense usually meant. She deals damage by having everybody else use their ults, which charges up HER ult, which she then deals a bunch of damage during, and also incidentally charges up their ults. If you're doing this, she does well in a team with damaging burst ultimates.

Her other, equally-if-not-more-common use, is her skill which adds an Electro hit on top of any other hit somebody else deals, which helps with energy generation (Electro is good at that) and elemental reactions (most notable for Electro+Dendro reactions). And in that case she's not in any sense a DPS, but definitely enables some fun stuff.

Yeah, I’ve been informed fairly well on pity and guarantees as well as the 50/50 win lose thingy on 5* characters.

I fully expected them to be not 100% correct on the inner workings of the game mechanics, which was why I’m checking the thread to see how I can make the right choices.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Coolness Averted posted:

Its worth noting the game's difficulty is so low that you can run a team like geo traveler, qiqi, Lisa, Amber with unleveled talents alll at c0 up to 60s if you level up your artifacts and weapons.
Also basically getting a character from 1-40 is so cheap with easily farmed mats there's no real problem trying out who seems fun.
Heck Keqing mains site is all abput finding ways to make the character you want to play as viable as possible.

This is pretty solid advice, really. You can fit anyone into the 'stand around and hit stuff role' if you try hard enough (although you'll probably need to venture into the wilds of reddit, keqing mains tends to focus their guides on "proper" roles, and not like dps yun jin. And provided you have more than 4 characters, you can make a viable team (although it may not be an especially fun one. Really you shouldn't stress too much about it, but you will want some variety of characters, for the few bits of the game that absolutely require a specific element. And there aren't really characters to avoid per-se. There are definitely characters that aren't particuarly good at anything, or who you hate using (which is more or less why the character trial exists, as something of a warning).

Also, barbara is free from a quest, and her spamming attack with raiden's skill is pretty nice. Unfortunately, you won't be able to get to her good artifact set until you get to inazuma.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

With my current roster looking like this:

And my current weapons looking like this:

Does anyone have any opinions about how I should be using my billets? I'm bad at video games and also making decisions, so the helper spreadsheets can only do so much for me. I've got a Northlander Sword x1, Claymore x3, Catalyst x2, Polearm x2, and Midlander Sword x1.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Which are the characters you actually use/play? Like who's your main team right now? If their current weapon is worse than a crafted weapon, make the crafted weapon. You also have a ton of level 80 stuff and few level 90s (I think, that layout is hard to read), so I would prioritize upgrading weapons to 90 on characters you use often. Like if you actually plan to use Keqing, Jean, Childe etc get them level 90 weapons before you bother leveling any new weapons up. When you get a new character that's like the #1 thing to do even before farming talent stuff. It's very important and costs relatively little resin for the damage it gives, compared to all other farmable stuff.

If there's nobody you're actively playing that would do better with a crafted weapon I'd just hold on to the billets for now until you need them.
I'd also try to get at least one of each craftable weapon before spending any billets for refinements but im kinda a hoarder and some of the weapons like the Sumeru Catalyst are ones you'll never actually want to use.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 1, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, it really depends who youre actually using. are you using itto? if so, you really wanna craft the whiteblind. are you not using itto? the whiteblind is useless.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

give noelle a whiteblind, even if she's just c4

e. but really, probably the best thing you can do if you want to burn some billets is go to keqingmains or the spreadsheet, look up your favorite mans, and see if a craftable thing is decently better than what you've got for them.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 1, 2023

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Priority 1 is to get a level 90 aranara sword for bennet. Priority 2 is to figure out how much you want to move your weapons around, cause you can probably refine some weapons if you don't need to run both characters at once.

Other than that Shinobu needs either an iron sting or the umbrella blade. Or you can pick up a dark iron sword from chen the sharp in Liyue. Atk does very little for her.

Also recommend keeping a second TTDS, can be useful. And generally, keeping more R5 three star weapons, juuust in case. Another slingshot, harbinger of dawn, some white tassels maybe.

Edit: If traveler really is geo, you can give him the cursed sword. It's pretty good, actually.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zenostein posted:

give noelle a whiteblind, even if she's just c4

but dont bother unless you're actually gonna build a team around her and use her as main dps
at least until you've spent your resources on everything else you need them for first

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Actually, put one of those rainslashers on sayu, and if you use your traveller, give them something nicer than the rancour.

The bell is good(enough) for dori, so that frees your fav greatsword for someone who wants energy.

Kazuha also wants an iron sting, or the umbrella. Give keqing the lion's roar unless you use kaeya more than her.

Amber doesn't need a sac bow, i'm pretty sure c2 means she can spit out 2 dollies; give that to diona.

Layla apparently wants a harbringer of dawn, if you don't have anything better, so keep that in the back of your mind for when more show up in the gacha.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I always have Zhongli on hand for shield reasons, I like Jean for flailing with a stick but lately I've been trying to use Kazuha more because grouping enemies is convenient. Usually for the other half of the team I default to Yelan and Yanfei. I don't know if they're actually any good, it's just very satisfying to swoosh all my enemies together and tie them up with water before setting them on fire. Also I like Yanfei's attack lines. I've been trying to do things with Kuki and Tighnari? I'd like to branch out more but I can never tell when I suck with a character because we don't vibe, or because I haven't given them any cool toys.

I haven't done anything with Itto or Yun Jin because I don't want to fight the big wolf. :sweatdrop:

Edit:

Zenostein posted:

Actually, put one of those rainslashers on sayu, and if you use your traveller, give them something nicer than the rancour.

See, this is why I'm paranoid!! One of the first things I learned when I started looking things up instead of playing blind was that all the weapons I'd crafted were Mistakes 😭

Everett False fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 1, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the characters in this game are extremely simple so its pretty hard to suck at a character mechanically so if they arent doing damage its 100% because of their gear

also zhongli/kazuha/yelan/yanfei is a decent team honestly, thats perfectly viable. and speaking of, if you wanna level up itto/yunjin, just axe zhongli from that team for ninguang (it doesnt matter if shes leveled) and have her destroy the geo shield things the wolf drops for its phase. if you need healing bring jean instead of kazuha. perfectly viable team and the wolf should die easily if the team's built.

if you dont have artifact sets built for them, you probably want viridescent venerer on kazuha/jean, tenacity of the milelith on zhongln, emblem of severed fate on yelan, and crimson witch of flames on yanfei. keep in mind that the artifact strongbox lets you feed 5* artifacts you dont need to reroll for artifacts from other sets. it cant reroll for every set but it can actually reroll for all of those except emblem.

weapon-wise black tassel is good on zhongli, yelan would want favonius, kazuha can run favonius or the crafted iron sting depending on if you have trouble hitting yelan's burst every time its off cooldown (fav helps with the whole team's energy issues), and yanfei can run skyward atlas.

for a second team focused on tighnari, you can run tighnari/fischl/kuki/sucrose. kuki isnt ideal to run with tighnari because her electro circle thing is so close-ranged but its workable and she gives you a healer.

kuki would definitely want the crafted iron sting in that team.

my main advice would be to pick two teams and fully build them up. weapons, artifacts, talent levels, regular levels, everything. having all of that sorted adds more to your damage than the actual team comp, so long as the team comp is at least passable. once you have two fully built teams grinding for other characters becomes much easier, and you can clear spiral abyss to generate a bit of extra primogem income.

and its pretty hard for a weapon to be a Mistake. its not like its a permanent mistake. if you play the game long enough you'll get every craftable in the game eventually.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

Welp there goes my sanity. I spent the last two weeks going through a "find all aranara" guide and I am somehow still missing 1 or more as the last 3 chests won't open.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Space Opera posted:

Welp there goes my sanity. I spent the last two weeks going through a "find all aranara" guide and I am somehow still missing 1 or more as the last 3 chests won't open.

isnt the aranara in the cave beyond the perpetual array arena only unlockable at the very end? thats the likely candidate imo

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Space Opera posted:

I did this a few weeks back. Then I went back and double checked that I'd got all the ones you see from the towers, as I skipped them going through the guide (having already got them ages ago). Turns out I missed one! Unfortunately the chests still didnt unlock as I must have missed another one somewhere in the world. I was at a loose end one afternoon this week and went back through a different guide and found the one I'd missed. He was tucked in the lee of a hill, slightly round the corner of where I thought he'd be on the map, and I had to literally stand on him before paimon gave me the "look an aranara over there!" alert.

The fact there is no in-game counter, and no way of keeping track of what ones you have got, and no in game hints as to what areas still have loose Aranaras is frankly insane to me.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

Excelzior posted:

isnt the aranara in the cave beyond the perpetual array arena only unlockable at the very end? thats the likely candidate imo

Got that one, as well as completed the aranara quest book.

SiKboy posted:

I was at a loose end one afternoon this week and went back through a different guide and found the one I'd missed. He was tucked in the lee of a hill, slightly round the corner of where I thought he'd be on the map, and I had to literally stand on him before paimon gave me the "look an aranara over there!" alert.

The fact there is no in-game counter, and no way of keeping track of what ones you have got, and no in game hints as to what areas still have loose Aranaras is frankly insane to me.

It's gotta be something like this, I was using a text guide that didn't have a ton of pictures so it's very possible my location was slightly off and thought I had already gotten the aranara I was looking for. The ones in the rainy area with the giant trees are particularly bad for this. This "quest" and the fog island one with the ghost's stone torches will forever remain uncompleted so long as there's no way to actually track your progress.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Space Opera posted:

Got that one, as well as completed the aranara quest book.

It's gotta be something like this, I was using a text guide that didn't have a ton of pictures so it's very possible my location was slightly off and thought I had already gotten the aranara I was looking for. The ones in the rainy area with the giant trees are particularly bad for this. This "quest" and the fog island one with the ghost's stone torches will forever remain uncompleted so long as there's no way to actually track your progress.

When I went through it a while ago, the trickiest ones were when there were two kind of close together, but one of them was underground either through one of those music portals or just some cave entrance that I didn't notice. They didn't even have to be close together, because like you I just assumed I had gotten them already.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Had a round as hunter where I caught everbody in about 2 minutes and got about 1075 coins to overshoot 3,000 and end up just over 4K. This windtrace felt fairly balanced overall, had some rounds where all 3 (rebels survived), where none survived or where I got none as hunter or all of them and everything inbetween. It was a decent time waster without me feeling pressured to grind it I think helps too.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
There are also several that will appear in an area opened up by an Aranara quest and may not be there for the quest itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kale posted:

Had a round as hunter where I caught everbody in about 2 minutes and got about 1075 coins to overshoot 3,000 and end up just over 4K. This windtrace felt fairly balanced overall, had some rounds where all 3 (rebels survived), where none survived or where I got none as hunter or all of them and everything inbetween. It was a decent time waster without me feeling pressured to grind it I think helps too.

I think my initial dislike was the first two rounds I tried had the hunter snap us all up and I got caught with the special or whatever. I went back later this week and had some amazing rounds because a lot of people don't look up. The one that takes place in the village in Inazuma, I climbed up a tree on the very edge and turned into a foot stool. I was the last one they were looking for with about 45 seconds left and they started climbing the tree, so I leapt off and glided down to the stream running through town and hid by the bridge as a basket. The hunter didn't notice and climbed all the way up the tree before they went looking for me elsewhere and by then it was too late.