Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sitting in the bath listening to my tape of into the gap because someone borrowed all of my cure cds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I worked at a store that in the middle of my time there started to play music over the speakers all day. Never learned where it was coming from but a completely standard "music you can play in a store" playlist from whoever sells those. I found myself paying a lot of attention to it cause there was nothing else worth paying attention to.

For a while, like a couple of years, The Cure was right up there with like Bruno Mars in terms of number of songs on the playlist. They had a ton of hits!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CannonFodder posted:

The Nate Small lunch: Just a burger, no fries to slow him down.
He clearly went to a teppanyaki place. Which was first, he started motoring after that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I worked at a store that in the middle of my time there started to play music over the speakers all day. Never learned where it was coming from but a completely standard "music you can play in a store" playlist from whoever sells those. I found myself paying a lot of attention to it cause there was nothing else worth paying attention to.

For a while, like a couple of years, The Cure was right up there with like Bruno Mars in terms of number of songs on the playlist. They had a ton of hits!
Some places just straight stream SiriusXM, some places use a service that provides music. My favorite was the one time that Mele Kelekimaka as covered by Reel Big Fish showed up in the stream when I worked at a supermarket. However, it cut off early, because at the end of the song they get a bit NSFW.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Never learned where it was coming from but a completely standard "music you can play in a store" playlist from whoever sells those.

my grandfather's office started piping in Muzak at some point. one of the songs on one of the loops was an elevator cover of "Born to Be Wild" and his coworker would reach up and shut off his speaker for 3 minutes every time it came on.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Zereth posted:

He clearly went to a teppanyaki place. Which was first, he started motoring after that.

The Nate Small Luncheon was Beef's final act as an unmarried man.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
you're like chow mein, man! you're just *not a big deal*

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Guild_of_Purpose-Driven_Commodores

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Man, the whole Commodore Sex Act arc is top-tier Achewood. I just wish it was easier to share with new people without also having to explain a decade worth of interactions between cartoon animals.

but then again, if she is a down girl she will archive binge Achewood.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jesus Ray what did Tina do to you man

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

more falafel please posted:

Jesus Ray what did Tina do to you man

Until my most recent reading of the comic where I actually bothered reading the blogs(since its so much easier to do so when they're bundled with the comics in order in a PDF rather than having to jump between a dozen different sites) my impression of Tina was that she was relatively normal and that the bad actor in her and Ray's relationship was pretty much always Ray up until her final arc in the comic suddenly did a complete 180 and made her out to be a terrible person which felt like an odd thing to do when she was one of only 3 notable recurring female characters in the comic at that point(along with Molly and Ray's mom), and it's only in this most recent run where I'm going through the blogs as well that I suddenly find out that actually Tina was a gigantic weirdo equally responsible for the problems in her and Ray's on-again off-again relationship this whole time it just literally never showed up in the comics at all until that last arc with her, usually the blogs come off as more of a fun bonus than anything truly essential to understand the comic but with Tina it's actually very essential to read the blogs to properly understand her as a character

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Chris wasn't kidding calling them a catacombs so deep there ain't no goodbyes. My last full Achewood archive binge I finally read all of the blogs as well in chronological order and man some of Onstad's best character work is in there. Stuff like Ray's horrifying machete party just could not translate to the comic page.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I want to know the lore of the Voice Donut

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

smarxist posted:

I want to know the lore of the Voice Donut

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

drrockso20 posted:

Until my most recent reading of the comic where I actually bothered reading the blogs(since its so much easier to do so when they're bundled with the comics in order in a PDF rather than having to jump between a dozen different sites) my impression of Tina was that she was relatively normal and that the bad actor in her and Ray's relationship was pretty much always Ray up until her final arc in the comic suddenly did a complete 180 and made her out to be a terrible person which felt like an odd thing to do when she was one of only 3 notable recurring female characters in the comic at that point(along with Molly and Ray's mom), and it's only in this most recent run where I'm going through the blogs as well that I suddenly find out that actually Tina was a gigantic weirdo equally responsible for the problems in her and Ray's on-again off-again relationship this whole time it just literally never showed up in the comics at all until that last arc with her, usually the blogs come off as more of a fun bonus than anything truly essential to understand the comic but with Tina it's actually very essential to read the blogs to properly understand her as a character

oh poo poo where is this pdf. I've been in a "reread and do a deep dive" mode on a bunch of poo poo recently, especially with achewood because of Brain Tape devoting 40 minutes to each solitary strip.

And yeah, there's a lot to say about Achewood's handling of women in general, which is a story that'd be hard to tell without a deep analysis of Online in the 2000s and how it interacted with gender (badly, is the answer to that). But also Ray made an entire book of ways to hide that you noticed your Lady doing a : ( and that's very funny

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Now there's a podcast that makes me feel like I'm sitting on the nozzle of a big metal tank that says YALE.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

My favorite Ray and Tina moment is when she shows up with Mantonio to gently caress in the plane.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Safety Dance posted:

Now there's a podcast that makes me feel like I'm sitting on the nozzle of a big metal tank that says YALE.

I gotta say it's taught me a lot about what Palo Alto, Santa Cruz, and "the marshes" are like

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

drrockso20 posted:

The best/worst thing you can say about Tina is that she is about as close to “girl Ray” as you can realistically get

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, I also have complicated feelings about Tina. She definitely carries a lot of the strip's scorn for the feminine, particularly the scorn for the feminine as something that inherently inconveniences men by having its own tastes and desires (see also: the Bead Store strip, which is hugely funny but is also totally about "gently caress you for having your own interests, romantic partner!"), but on the other hand, I think Tina is the only sort of character who would plausibly put up with Ray's poo poo for even as long as she does. She's very "lady Ray," but written without the obvious affection that Onstad has for Ray (and sometimes takes to extremes), so it feels much meaner.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

more falafel please posted:

oh poo poo where is this pdf.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o-YkRJ9n34VOYdsFm0PqyTUwp5GFFOB38S1XyxKgOPk/edit?usp=drivesdk

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Get over here!

French me!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Am I being weird by correlating Molly's decline as a character with Onstad's divorce and dark mental health period? I don't want to think Onstad would be as crass as to WIFE BAD his own webcomic but it's inarguable that by the end of Achewood's run Molly's purpose was to yell at Roast Beef.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Up yours wife

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I think there’s a connection and it sucks for the character to only appear when Chris wants to illustrate their marriage and relationship are spiraling but wife bad is too reductive imo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Sometimes love is wondering if you trapped an innocent person.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

Sometimes love is wondering if you trapped an innocent person.

gently caress.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

not real sure any of the beef/molly things were wife bad. between spouse and ex girlfriends I've had most of those exact same moments. it speaks to the universal and timeless nature of achewood. if you live with someone, sex, gender, what ever else aside, if you live with them long enough you will bicker about things like snoring or paying 1.50$ for a cup of soda at taco bell

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

not real sure any of the beef/molly things were wife bad. between spouse and ex girlfriends I've had most of those exact same moments. it speaks to the universal and timeless nature of achewood. if you live with someone, sex, gender, what ever else aside, if you live with them long enough you will bicker about things like snoring or paying 1.50$ for a cup of soda at taco bell

I agree with this. I think she gets reduced a little bit as a character during that period, but I also conversely think that, in some ways, showing her and Beef have ongoing conflict deepens her a fair amount.

She starts out as a literal angel from heaven who codes good and likes freaky sex and loves/supports Roast Beef, and not really much else. She never has a bad thing to say about him, she’s always there to take care of him when he has a crisis, and that’s pretty much the extent of her role.

And reducing their domestic conflict to “this is an example of wife bad” ignores the glaring context that all of their fights stem from Beef’s many manifestations of serious dysfunction. They don’t fight over Taco Bell or snoring, they fight over Beef failing to pay the water bill and going entire days without cleaning or feeding himself.

In this lens, Molly’s increased hostility becomes a reflection of Beef’s personal toxicity and stagnation and the strain that his condition puts on their married relationship.

He never tries to get better. He just keeps loving up in one way after another that she has to then clean up and deal with (like showering at the gym), she has to literally take care of him—like feed and clean him like a dependent child, and then he gives her poo poo for being frustrated and short with him. I don’t know why anybody would be surprised that she’s fed up.

The eventual resolution to Beef’s story is “his friends clandestinely dope him up with Golden Tabloid weed and he eventually accepts”. It’s cute, and I get that Onstad kinda shoved it out probably out of a sense of obligation, but it kinda sucks as a resolution for him, IMO. I’m not saying he has to bootstrap his way out of being the guy who sucks and also has depression, but at least seeing him make an effort one time would be nice.

As somebody who struggles with mental health issues in the Roast Beef wheelhouse, I also understand and respect the idea that you’re never really “cured” of many mental health issues and that maybe a mood disorder is just one of those things where “success” means learning to adapt and live your best life with it. It means knowing that you might have depression for the rest of your life and that living well means finding a way to do so with depression.

Both the Beef/Molly marriage life arc and the Ray in rehab arc happen roughly around the same time period. You really get the sense here how both cats reflect different elements of Onstad’s self-perception, with Ray addressing his alcoholism and Beef reflecting his sense of personal dissolution and the dissolution of his marriage.

This becomes pretty clear in the “hypothetical future timeline” strip (which I cannot find as it contains no dialogue), wherein Teodor gets fit (and promptly croaks young), Ray suffers a disfiguring candelabra accident that results in the replacement of his biological ears with fancy future-tech artificial ones, Philippe remains five seemingly eternally (and at one point participates in the Olympics?), and Roast Beef becomes a celebrated singer, succumbs to various drug and booze vices, is subsequently left by Molly, and dies in seeming ignominy.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I guess my issue with Molly as a character is that she has almost nothing in the comic that exists outside of Beef. She's either Beef's saving angel or a hellish shrew screeching in his ear. I agree that Roast Beef as a character is a representation of the realities of clinical depression, and Molly becoming progressively more frustrated with Beef's behavior is believable, but she doesn't get much of anything outside of how she responds to Beef's issues.

This is also another great reason to read the blogs, because all of Molly's character (as well as Tina's, since the thread was just talking about her) is contained within her blog. And the thing is, her blog is by far my favorite of any of them! Onstad is actually really good at writing a woman character with a distinct voice and hilarious shenanigans! Molly having to deal with the insane management of the restaurants she's always shuffling between is hilarious and peak Achewood to me. I wish we could've seen more of that in the comic itself, I guess.

Also, here is the future webcomic you requested!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly if I had any artistic ability at all I'd probably just adapt a bunch of the blogs into comic form

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly if I had any artistic ability at all I'd probably just adapt a bunch of the blogs into comic form

I'd try, but I don't have any idea what I'm doing, and I don't think it would matter if I did.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
2023 Goon Project: do the Achewood TV series that Onstad shopped around ~a decade ago

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Ok Comboomer posted:

2023 Goon Project: do the Achewood TV series that Onstad shopped around ~a decade ago

Love Toby Huss but its not really dialogue that needs to be spoken out loud

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

Goons dubbing a bunch of Achewood comics would be a fun project

morestuff posted:

Love Toby Huss but its not really dialogue that needs to be spoken out loud

Sure it is, though I do agree that Toby Huss wasn't the best choice for Ray in the pitch reel(and the voices for Roast Beef and Philippe weren't good choices either) and like I've said before they chose the wrong aspects of Achewood to focus on to try and sell it for a show, needed a lot less Roast Beef and Philippe and a lot more of Todd, Vlad, and Lie-Bot

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I genuinely can't remember Molly ever going full shrew on Beef. Sometimes he imagines it, like the big bag of water, but more often she's just reacting to him being impossible. Like the pre-wedding fight is her suffering from having her time travel-grade regressive mother in town, and he's just losing his mind because Teodor wants to show off. They both know how easy that problem is to fix, Ray knows science can make any problem go away for a fee.

Hell Beef's absolute indignance at being asked to buy stuff like condoms or women's hair supplies is probably the most backward thing about an already very backwards guy (save thinking Chinese dudes have secret wisdom, that is of course rough).

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

You know what, I actually decided to go and take a look at all of Molly's appearances since the wedding arc, and she actually only bodily appears in nineteen comics out of three hundred and four - only 6.25% of comics have her in it! I don't expect Achewood of all comics to depict matrimonial happiness but Jesus Christ a lot of it really is that Roast Beef is a massive loving rear end in a top hat to her. I guess the most damning comic of them all was this one where Onstad makes his opinions on the Marital Question pretty clear.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I read through the Lash of Thanatos arc and this one kicked me in the gut.

I had a similar thought when I was crashing a motorcycle. "Oh dang, I wish I could have warned my girlfriend."

Separately, when Brain Tape starts on this arc, it'll be absolutely indecipherable. I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

speaking of the blogs
https://twitter.com/michibot1/status/1609436863969763329?s=20