Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

After a 6 month hiatus, the legend returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD8fYfnquME

all spell tomes (minus Novice-level books because they have level caps) looted after checking 9800+ stumps...
then he has to go back for 2000 more because he accidently reloaded after looting Bound Bow :gonk:

Next episode should be the last of this series. It's been going on for nearly 6 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Starting to come around to the idea that TES VI will see the empire as no more. They are in such awful shape in Skyrim and not likely to get better. The sick man of Tamriel.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The thing is in Skyrim everyone acknowledges that the Stormcloaks are doing so good because the Empire is very deliberately putting the absolute bare minimum of effort into the fight.

Ulric himself vents that if Vittoria Vici's wedding or the Emperor's visit is happening in Solitude, the Stormcloaks can't attack, because to harm a member of the Imperial family- or the Emperor himself- invites all out war with Cyrodiil, which the Stormcloaks would lose- badly.

The issue being then that any weakening of the Imperial defenses on the Dominion border to put down the Stormcloaks more efficiently would serve as a perfect opportunity for the Thalmor to launch Great War 2.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's entirely possible next game is about you founding a new dynasty with the blessing of the gods. Or anything else, who knows!

A big question might be, what if the devs embrace controller support and third person combat from the start?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's entirely possible next game is about you founding a new dynasty with the blessing of the gods. Or anything else, who knows!

A big question might be, what if the devs embrace controller support and third person combat from the start?

God, I hope not. Not every game needs to be souls.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I figure the next game will either be during or not long after the next elf war. Either the plot will be saving the Empire from collapsing, or driving the racist elves out of whatever province (the teaser made me think High Rock but it doesn't matter) in a guerilla war. I lean towards it being during the war because a semi-dynamic, procedural "War" (ie lead like ten guys to attack twelve enemies and take the castle) system sounds like the kind of gameplay loop Bethesda might throw together and hype up.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I hope the Empire has lost the war and the main quest is about doing weird time bullshit a la the warp in the west, to make it so they won and lost.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The idea of playing any of Bethesda's games in third person is so drat weird to me. If that's what somebody prefers, that's what they prefer, but it will never not be odd to me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't do it myself, but my understanding is that it's always been more popular in Europe than the US and what seems inarguable is that it's improved over time; it's not in Daggerfall at all, it's atrocious in Morrowind and Oblivion, better in Skyrim. Not only is it better in Skyrim, back aroun launch they'd talk about how they were proud of how much better it was and how they feel it's a better play method than ever.

These games are increasingly made with consoles in mind and I don't think I'm wrong to say that controllers are better suited to third person.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
3p in skyrim only became viable after MCO, TrueHUD/True Directional movement etc came out this year.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I agree that TDM is a massive change to Skyrim's third person gameplay that makes it feel modern, but it's also true that, back in 2011, Skyrim's third person was still a marked improvement over Oblivion. The through line here is even more of that in the next one.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yes, at the same time I don't necessarily want it to become soulslike. That term is really annoying and attracts the worst types of clowns.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

cheesetriangles posted:

God, I hope not. Not every game needs to be souls.

I don't think "make it souls" is the suggestion here, just a playable third person so you can actually see yourself looking cool while kicking rear end in your dope armor.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Skyrim already let you do that, even before the mods but it was more fun playing in a first person perspective.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

DaysBefore posted:

I figure the next game will either be during or not long after the next elf war. Either the plot will be saving the Empire from collapsing, or driving the racist elves out of whatever province (the teaser made me think High Rock but it doesn't matter) in a guerilla war. I lean towards it being during the war because a semi-dynamic, procedural "War" (ie lead like ten guys to attack twelve enemies and take the castle) system sounds like the kind of gameplay loop Bethesda might throw together and hype up.

Next game you enroll in seminary and spend the game studying and explaining the convoluted theology of whichever race you chose’s religion. There is no combat except when it gets heated at conference Q&A’s which take the place of tombs and dungeons.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jack B Nimble posted:

my understanding is that it's always been more popular in Europe than the US

Hm. That makes some sense. My theory was that it's also a lot of people coming in from like, WoW.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

John Murdoch posted:

Hm. That makes some sense. My theory was that it's also a lot of people coming in from like, WoW.

I don't know if it's changed, it's a factoid bouncing around my head circa Skyrim and Witcher 2 when people were asking "why the third person!!".

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I don't have any expectation that the story is going to be good at all, the best I can hope for is that you're not the chosen one again

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
tbh bethesda had been using first/third person stuff since MW, even though in oblivion or MW it was only usable for taking a screenie with your character.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I usually do my walking around and travelling in third person but fighting it's all first person so I can actually aim my basically useless spells. If nothing else, please make magic kick rear end again in Elder Scrolls VI.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
its really weird that even with perk mods like ordinator or adamant magic feels so much fun(tm). The one thing Bethesda could steal from souls games is the option of 1h/2h being swappable on the fly. The only mod that did it was Combat Gameplay Overhaul which is now really old and the newer mods like MCO don't play nice with it.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't have any expectation that the story is going to be good at all, the best I can hope for is that you're not the chosen one again

I just hope they have the good sense not to make a whole game plot around the Dwemer returning. That's like one of the biggest things in the lore that works best as an unexplained mystery, and I have zero confidence that their writers could pull it off in a satisfactory way.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Hasn't todd said that they are never going to explain what happened to the dwemer because of this reason? Bethesda hasn't gone full Blizzard in terms of storytelling at least.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

Hasn't todd said that they are never going to explain what happened to the dwemer because of this reason? Bethesda hasn't gone full Blizzard in terms of storytelling at least.

Only thing I can find is Todd rejecting the idea for ESO. Nothing about Todd explicitly saying they will never do it.

https://gamerant.com/elder-scrolls-online-dwemer-cut/

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 29, 2022

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

they should make a game about Oblivion

But seriously, I hope Bethesda adds less radient quests with gold/random enchanted weapon rewards and more of the creation club-type quests in VI. Small weird side-quests that gives you something new or funny to play around with, like the base game one in Vokun's crypt that rewards you with the exploding familiar spell.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

I usually do my walking around and travelling in third person but fighting it's all first person so I can actually aim my basically useless spells. If nothing else, please make magic kick rear end again in Elder Scrolls VI.

I use a mod that when I ready a weapon / spell whatever it puts you into first person, but when you sheathe it you are moved to third person. Works really well, but there is occasionally some wonkiness with when the game takes control away and expects you to be in first person, like in the dungeon with Mercer Frey when you get shot.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/18515

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Psychedelicatessen posted:

they should make a game about Oblivion

But seriously, I hope Bethesda adds less radient quests with gold/random enchanted weapon rewards and more of the creation club-type quests in VI. Small weird side-quests that gives you something new or funny to play around with, like the base game one in Vokun's crypt that rewards you with the exploding familiar spell.

the notice board mods made radiant quests surprisingly tolerable and fun. Great way to earn extra cash on the side.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

the notice board mods made radiant quests surprisingly tolerable and fun. Great way to earn extra cash on the side.

Yeah it's nice to pick up a radiant quest that happen to be near the place you were going anyway.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
For 99% of “my immersion” cries I’m usually going :jerkbag: but the one thing that destroys immersion for me is third person. Goofy as it sounds, I really do get drawn into these games and first person is like a window into the world. Third person immediately makes me just a spectator. I think it adversely impacts world design too. With so much more FOV available it’s tempting to assault the player from all sides at all times and say, “look - content!” I might just be a caveman, but I have a hard time with combat in 3p too. My stupid brain just doesn’t translate the spatial movements properly and I always feel gimped. I tried and tried to play Witcher 3 but just kept bouncing off for those reasons. Most 3p games turn me off, so I hope Bethesda keeps doing what they’ve been doing. Here’s hoping we see tes6 sometime this decade!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
3rd person only makes sense if the developers created cool animations for your PC actions, be it combat or stuff like climbing or generally interacting with the physical world, e.g. when some games have the character shove NPCs around, interact with obstacles instead of running into them, follow things with their eyes etc. Meanwhile in Bethesda games 3rd person feels like smashing Barbie dolls against each other in a playset, except Barbie dolls have more points of articulation than Bethesda characters.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

First person is a vastly more immersive to me. Also third person is... kinda clunky and awkward in Skyrim to say the least.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

3rd person is pretty useful in chaotic melee situations. The animations are definitely janky though, even in Skyrim.

I used 3rd person a lot in Morrowind because I thought my bonemold and ordinator armor looked cool as gently caress :3:

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Fruits of the sea posted:

3rd person is pretty useful in chaotic melee situations. The animations are definitely janky though, even in Skyrim.

I used 3rd person a lot in Morrowind because I thought my bonemold and ordinator armor looked cool as gently caress :3:

If you didn't throw a dope robe over your armor in Morrowind, you should immediately be arrested by the fashion police.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

If you didn't throw a dope robe over your armor in Morrowind, you should immediately be arrested by the fashion police.

:hmmyes:

It's easy to establish a canon look for Nerevar, because it involves them wearing a heavy, ornate, crimson and banana-yellow bathrobe 24/7.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Lt. Lizard posted:

:hmmyes:

It's easy to establish a canon look for Nerevar, because it involves them wearing a heavy, ornate, crimson and banana-yellow bathrobe 24/7.

Exquisite is not a great robe style. The purple extravagant, and some blue/green/red expensives, are much better

Albatrossy_Rodent fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 31, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

if nerevar wearing a colovian hat isn't canon, what possibly could be?

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
If you aren't wearing Fargoth's robe and hat why are you even the Nerevarine?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,

Fargoth has neither a robe nor hat.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Everyone knows the real fashion choice in Morrowind is to run around naked and claim a witch stole your clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

Fargoth has neither a robe nor hat.

fool. fargoth IS a robe and hat.