Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The only non-shaw physical option i have in a 20 year old house in a city of 100k+ people is Telus 50mbps DSL.

The thought of being forced to give rogers $150/month for what costs $15/month in real countries makes my blood boil.

unrelated:

Yes, that is one of the reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

God, peepees gonna win isn't he

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

COPE 27 posted:

A lot can happen in 3 years.

PP has done nothing but whine so far, and i think people are already sick of it.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

A lot can happen in 3 years.

PP has done nothing but whine so far, and i think people are already sick of it.

I’d like to believe that, but I’ve had a few randos admiringly drop PP in conversation lately in a way that I’ve never heard anyone do for any other political leader in this country. I think peeboy has got the juice, unfortunately.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Glimpse posted:

I’d like to believe that, but I’ve had a few randos admiringly drop PP in conversation lately in a way that I’ve never heard anyone do for any other political leader in this country. I think peeboy has got the juice, unfortunately.

But can he keep that flow strong & pouring, or will it be reduced to just a trickle by then?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

Videotron can suck my entire rear end in a top hat, the thieving shits.

Pretending selling something to them is providing adequate competition is perverse. Videotron should be crushed into tiny bits, which are then buried in piss and poo poo, they are the only one of the telecoms that legit did not return money that they owed me. The rest only took money "legitimately".

Rogers can gently caress right off the times they had $2/GB overage charges on home internet. Datacaps are horseshit and overage charges that have no basis in reality are horseshit, but also, datacaps that have no rollover or grace factor are hoseshit. "Oh, you were under your cap by 20-80 gigs 11 months out of the year, but went over by 20gigs in December? Pay us 40$ bucks fucko!"

I haven't had a cap forever, and I think I even got them to wave that fee after a bunch of time on the phone with them, but swear I will be mad about the principle of that for the rest of my life.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I started with Rogers 20 years ago and it was loving horrible. I had so many random disconnections that multiplayer games were unplayable, speeds were completely unreliable plus they were a huge bag of dicks when I went over my download/upload limit. They were awful, awful awful. Shaw has been 100x better than what my previous experience with Rogers had been, the drops have been minimal and I've never pissed off Shaw enough for them to threaten or demand anything from me except that I pay them on time. It is excruciatingly painful to know that I have to go back to Rogers now. It's loving bullshit.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
My ex-wife made us switch from Shaw to Telus. And while the service itself wasn't that much different, the price sure as gently caress was. Switched back as soon as we could, and even got a discount on Shaw Mobile.

I swear to god, the Shaw Go Wifi hotspots better not get taken down. They're loving everywhere, and honestly are one of the best parts of Shaw.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

COPE 27 posted:

Yup lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I can honestly say that Barbara Walters, Ian Tyson and the Nazi Pope were not a celebrity death triad I ever would've guessed.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Powershift posted:

The only non-shaw physical option i have in a 20 year old house in a city of 100k+ people is Telus 50mbps DSL.

The thought of being forced to give rogers $150/month for what costs $15/month in real countries makes my blood boil.

poo poo man, I have symmetrical 3 Gbps (ftth) for less than that a month.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The digital divide has gotten kinda wild with Bell offering 8Gbps fiber in some cities, while other places still have 15Mbit DSL at best.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

PT6A posted:

I can honestly say that Barbara Walters, Ian Tyson and the Nazi Pope were not a celebrity death triad I ever would've guessed.

dang, I guess Pope Francis inadvertently gave a kiss of death when he asked for people to pray for him earlier this week. My dad's gonna be bummed about Tyson :smith:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Every time I'm within like 10 km of Canada my phone will always switch to Rogers. Basically always have to go in airplane mode to not wind up with a like $500 bill that I'll have to argue forever with Verizon over.

maskenfreiheit2
Dec 26, 2022
what's it like to visit montreal if you speak zero french but also have pissed off the mcgill people so badly they try to fistfight you at poster sessions?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Everyone in Montréal hates McGill students so u should be fine

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
People get weirdly aggro with poster sessions. It's all boring poo poo no one cares about, chill.

maskenfreiheit2
Dec 26, 2022

cat botherer posted:

People get weirdly aggro with poster sessions. It's all boring poo poo no one cares about, chill.

Then no one should care if I take a few photos :smug:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What did you all do exactly to get anyone to even care about a poster session in the first place, beyond hypothetical free food/drinks?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

maskenfreiheit2 posted:

what's it like to visit montreal if you speak zero french but also have pissed off the mcgill people so badly they try to fistfight you at poster sessions?

It's fine - was there for 5 days back in 2018. Only encountered one place that was strictly French and that was a small burger+poutine place in the suburbs that got recommended on reddit. Still was able to order.

E: For some reason didn't tag the place :/

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 31, 2022

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I'm an anglo Quebecker and spend all my free time travelling in places with <10% bilingualism and I never have a problem. A little respect and patience goes a long way

E: actually just remembered every time I go to St Jean sur Richelieu everyone is a dick for no reason but other than that people are honestly really great here

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

I'm an anglo Quebecker and spend all my free time travelling in places with <10% bilingualism and I never have a problem. A little respect and patience goes a long way

E: actually just remembered every time I go to St Jean sur Richelieu everyone is a dick for no reason but other than that people are honestly really great here

That’s because of the military crap there. It’s where everyone goes for basic.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Oh poo poo I didn't know that

maskenfreiheit2
Dec 26, 2022

eXXon posted:

What did you all do exactly to get anyone to even care about a poster session in the first place, beyond hypothetical free food/drinks?

Publishing all the special... latex symbols or whatever... that were technically not supposed to be sent to the Omidyar Network's Kaesong lablet before it even gets put behind a paywall is one way to get all sorts of interesting folks to show up to your atrium

(in all seriousness lmao if you haven't spotted a literally siphoning up preprints with a smartphone as you pounded dr pepper and kimbab before someone remembers you haven't worked for this university for a decade)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I still remember the time going back to my hometown near vaudreuil-Dorion and the cashier at Tim Hortons just looking at me like an alien when I was failing trying to order an iced cap. The guy behind me had to save me.

Also having a speech impediment doesn't help matters I suppose.

maskenfreiheit2
Dec 26, 2022

Raenir Salazar posted:

I still remember the time going back to my hometown near vaudreuil-Dorion and the cashier at Tim Hortons just looking at me like an alien when I was failing trying to order an iced cap. The guy behind me had to save me.

Also having a speech impediment doesn't help matters I suppose.

people have all these negative stereotypes about how woke and cosmo canada is

back before i explored your country beyond GTA i had someone staight up remove the connection on facebook because i jokingly asked if she was going out for a rip on their thanksgiving

(which hurt, since she also passed out drunk in the middle of the dancefloor when someone i knew was djing and i made sure she got water and aid rather than banned from the venue as would normally befall someone who had people bring them drinks after they'd been cut off like an undergrad)

but before that she told me all these horror stories that sounded straight otta west virginia, but with more snow.

maskenfreiheit2
Dec 26, 2022

Vintersorg posted:

It's fine - was there for 5 days back in 2018. Only encountered one place that was strictly French and that was a small burger+poutine place in the suburbs that got recommended on reddit. Still was able to order.

E: For some reason didn't tag the place :/

i've never had the good poutine since ive only been to ottawa vancouver and toronto.

i went briefy into quebec, to a museum, for work, and a herd of geese immediately tried to attack me, hence my hesitation. my life tends to be rife with metaphor

maskenfreiheit2
Dec 26, 2022
also the french aren't that bad, it's just paris is expensive and smells like urine

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

maskenfreiheit2 posted:

i've never had the good poutine since ive only been to ottawa vancouver and toronto.

i went briefy into quebec, to a museum, for work, and a herd of geese immediately tried to attack me, hence my hesitation. my life tends to be rife with metaphor

ottawa has the good poutine. you get it from a little cart on the rideau canal, preferably when you're freezing and optimally after you just skated.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

maskenfreiheit2 posted:

back before i explored your country beyond GTA i had someone staight up remove the connection on facebook because i jokingly asked if she was going out for a rip on their thanksgiving

(which hurt, since she also passed out drunk in the middle of the dancefloor when someone i knew was djing and i made sure she got water and aid rather than banned from the venue as would normally befall someone who had people bring them drinks after they'd been cut off like an undergrad)

but before that she told me all these horror stories that sounded straight otta west virginia, but with more snow.

A rip? Trip? I feel like I'm missing someone here.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Glimpse posted:

I’d like to believe that, but I’ve had a few randos admiringly drop PP in conversation lately in a way that I’ve never heard anyone do for any other political leader in this country.

Believing in white knight saviours is part of being a Conservative though. I don't think he's convincing anybody else.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

maskenfreiheit2 posted:

https://www.canadaland.com/shows/thunder-bay/
This podcast serves well to shatter some of those unearned impressions people have of Canada.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

B33rChiller posted:

https://www.canadaland.com/shows/thunder-bay/
This podcast serves well to shatter some of those unearned impressions people have of Canada.

Even amazon loves canadaland!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Funny how he got cancelled just as he was gonna start reporting on the seedy underbelly of Niagara

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Niagara Balls

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

COPE 27 posted:

Funny how he got cancelled just as he was gonna start reporting on the seedy underbelly of Niagara

Shades of Unfuckwithable.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

COPE 27 posted:

Ryan? Or Jesse? I'm out of touch

Wait. Do you mean the series was canceled? Or one of the other meanings of "he got canceled "?

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Ryan? Or Jesse? I'm out of touch

Wait. Do you mean the series was canceled? Or one of the other meanings of "he got canceled "?

Ryan got cancelled, allegedly Jesse was gonna look for someone else and nothing further came out,

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
He cheated on his wife and I guess the wokies came for him. Tale as old as time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Raenir Salazar posted:

A rip? Trip? I feel like I'm missing someone here.

Thought this was universal Canuck slang. Going for a rip is going for a drive, either to some destination but more often than not just an aimless drive for enjoyment.