Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The Witcher Blood Origin was OK. I think it's better than a lot of people are saying but it leaves a lot to be desired and some portions reminded me of a generic WB fantasy show from the 90s. However it's only 4 episodes and only the first one is long so not a huge investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tainen posted:

It definitely didn’t have the heart of the first one. I remember getting a little teary eyed at the end of the first one when Blanc was explaining how Marta instinctually gave the correct medicine because she was a good nurse and had a kind heart. Something about that juxtaposed with how lovely the whole family was got me. Nothing like that in the second one which was really goofy but I still loved it. Am just happy we are getting at least one more of these.
This is about how I feel about it. Not the same core as Knives Out, not as good, but it was still fun and I'm ready for more.
I'm mostly just pleased to see Daniel Craig in a role that isn't James bond or action related, my favorite performance of his has always been playing the sniveling gangster in The Road to Perdition so him getting to play more against type or have fun different roles is always welcome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know she's from the Midwest but I do not find monae's accent very good. I mean, it's as cartoonish as Blanc's. They're good actors putting on accents that just don't exist in the real world. Which fits the style of the movies, hyperrealism and all

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

mcmagic posted:

Alice in Borderland spoilers. I think i would have preferred that they had kept it more ambiguous not knowing what actually happened with all those possibilities being live. The show pretty clearly ends with it all being in their heads after the meteorite hits. I hate "it was all a dream" stuff on principal.

It being all in their heads is consistent with the homage to Alice in Wonderland, but it would have been nice if they went a little deeper into there being some sort of shared near-death experience that is maybe controlled by something.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Definitely feels like we're in the fantasy equivalent of whatever the hell happened to superhero movies in the 90s, with one or two absolute hits that people not really fans of the genre chae ineffectually to recapture.

Nu-Fantasy. Leather Swords and Magic. The Limp Bisket of Genre Eras.

Fantasy right now feels like it has this gloss of corporate sheen over everything that just makes it super unappealing. Everything looks like it cost a fortune to make yet manages to look ugly and boring somehow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not even just fantasy. It's basically everything. High budget entertainment is just absolute loving crap for the most part atm. It's been like a full decade of borderline unwatchable overlong, overproduced, poorly written, designed by committee garbage that people feel obligated to be excited for because of marketing and brand recognition. I think Blockbuster entertainment is at it's single lowest point in history.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

precision posted:

I know she's from the Midwest but I do not find monae's accent very good. I mean, it's as cartoonish as Blanc's. They're good actors putting on accents that just don't exist in the real world. Which fits the style of the movies, hyperrealism and all

I thought she sounded just like Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs, and I don't remember hearing anyone criticizing her accent.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I just saw the new avatar at the Alamo and hard agree

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

E eh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Buttchocks posted:

It being all in their heads is consistent with the homage to Alice in Wonderland, but it would have been nice if they went a little deeper into there being some sort of shared near-death experience that is maybe controlled by something.

I guess we're not clear on if they are all having the same collective fantasy or if they are all just in Arisu's fantasy? Either way there is a supernatural element to it because they are those specific people who don't know either other from anywhere else... I think we're supposed to think its collective because their hearts all stop at the same time?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have one Letterkenny complaint, they need to do 2 seasons a year (I think they use to do that). Something like 6 episodes in July and 6 episodes day after Christmas. Given the length of the episodes it is just not enough.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

nate fisher posted:

I have one Letterkenny complaint, they need to do 2 seasons a year (I think they use to do that). Something like 6 episodes in July and 6 episodes day after Christmas. Given the length of the episodes it is just not enough.

Yeah, I dunno though...there's aspects of it that I'm pretty sick of. The Skids, Gail, I could do without them entirely at this point. Stuart started as an annoying but still somewhat funny character but now mehhhhh.

It's a very one note show which I'm 100% okay with but multiple times a year I think might be too much.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

I guess we're not clear on if they are all having the same collective fantasy or if they are all just in Arisu's fantasy? Either way there is a supernatural element to it because they are those specific people who don't know either other from anywhere else... I think we're supposed to think its collective because their hearts all stop at the same time?

Alice in Borderland S2 still

I think it would have been more interesting as a collective fantasy. No one particularly seems to recognize each other in the post-coma scenes. I thought it was fine; I just kind of felt like the coma ending is kind of lame.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

It's not even just fantasy. It's basically everything. High budget entertainment is just absolute loving crap for the most part atm. It's been like a full decade of borderline unwatchable overlong, overproduced, poorly written, designed by committee garbage that people feel obligated to be excited for because of marketing and brand recognition. I think Blockbuster entertainment is at it's single lowest point in history.

Arcane was great

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Obviously it's not universal and there are exceptions, but I wouldn't lump Arcane in with the type of stuff I was referring to to begin with (I haven't watched it, but I know everyone seems to love it)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Whoa I had no idea that arcane was similar to these other shows in terms of cost. I assumed that since it was animated it was way cheaper.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Medullah posted:

Yeah, I dunno though...there's aspects of it that I'm pretty sick of. The Skids, Gail, I could do without them entirely at this point. Stuart started as an annoying but still somewhat funny character but now mehhhhh.

It's a very one note show which I'm 100% okay with but multiple times a year I think might be too much.

Stewart had sort of an interesting arc going on but I agree with you. I like one season a year.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

regulargonzalez posted:

I thought she sounded just like Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs, and I don't remember hearing anyone criticizing her accent.

Oh they definitely did.

Glass Onion spoilers: But also Monae's accent is actually pretty accurate for a very specific kind of mid-Georgian accent, and considering how much time they spent in Atlanta, that's not surprising.

Stayne Falls fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 1, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Stayne Falls posted:

Oh they definitely did.

But also, Monae's accent is actually pretty accurate....
This is actually a pretty big spoiler for the movie and it's funny that people are talking about it un-tagged like it's no big deal. I read posts about her accent being bad, and when she was talking in the first half of the movie I was thinking the actor was British or something and people were complaining about her American accent. Then the reveal happened.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ended the year with a Glass Onion/White Noise double feature, the latter being so long-winded and utterly pointless that I felt like 2022 would never end.

What the hell was that? I wasn't familiar with DeLillo's novel, so I was waiting for some crazy sci-fi or supernatural twist, especially after the toxic cloud was displayed as almost sentient and evil in some of the shots. Or that the parents were some sort of aliens because they talked and acted extremely weird the whole time.

I did not know of the existence of the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea company, but a german convenience store chain used the exact same "A&P" ("Attraktiv und Preiswert") logo, so the familiarity of the logo, the "Hitler studies" and german lessons made me think the reveal would be some sort of alternate timeline where parts of german/nazi culture had been established in the US this universe.

But nope, movie just didn't feel like it was going anywhere.
In the end, it wasn't even a proper disaster movie, which the trailer made it out to be if I remember correctly.
The rant from the german atheist nun in the end was kind of fun though.

In contrast, "Glass Onion" felt like a masterpiece from the pure entertainment value alone, even if it had its own share of problems.

Happy new year.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mcbexx posted:

Glass Onion/White Noise

Oh word my favorite Boston song

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Channel 5 rules and his HBO documentary is fun.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

withak posted:

Not to be that guy, but the new season of Letterkenny is pretty good.

My wife and I love Letterkenny but the first two episodes of this season have been a little rough. Hoping it picks up.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Arroz con pollo episode loving kills me everytime

That and the Al Capone Day episode are my favorites for "this could be almost real".

withak posted:

Not to be that guy, but the new season of Letterkenny is pretty good.

I like it. Back to basics. My problem with Letterkenny was that the world had gotten too big. Nice to see some local arguments over chips.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Ended the year with a Glass Onion/White Noise double feature, the latter being so long-winded and utterly pointless that I felt like 2022 would never end.

What the hell was that? I wasn't familiar with DeLillo's novel, so I was waiting for some crazy sci-fi or supernatural twist, especially after the toxic cloud was displayed as almost sentient and evil in some of the shots. Or that the parents were some sort of aliens because they talked and acted extremely weird the whole time.

I did not know of the existence of the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea company, but a german convenience store chain used the exact same "A&P" ("Attraktiv und Preiswert") logo, so the familiarity of the logo, the "Hitler studies" and german lessons made me think the reveal would be some sort of alternate timeline where parts of german/nazi culture had been established in the US this universe.

But nope, movie just didn't feel like it was going anywhere.
In the end, it wasn't even a proper disaster movie, which the trailer made it out to be if I remember correctly.
The rant from the german atheist nun in the end was kind of fun though.

In contrast, "Glass Onion" felt like a masterpiece from the pure entertainment value alone, even if it had its own share of problems.

Happy new year.

Definitely not good companion pieces. White Noise is apparently about insufferable intellectuals and comes off like a stage play. Definitely not the fun vibe Glass Onion runs with.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
7 Women and a Murder was fun, entertaining, and not a huge time commitment. I enjoyed it more than Glass Onion.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Tim Whatley posted:

The Witcher Blood Origin was OK. I think it's better than a lot of people are saying but it leaves a lot to be desired and some portions reminded me of a generic WB fantasy show from the 90s. However it's only 4 episodes and only the first one is long so not a huge investment.

Yup. I feel like people are making GBS threads on it hard, and while its not great, it certainly isn't terrible. Especially as its only 4 episodes things wrap up quick and gives you a decent backstory to the origins of the world in which the Witcher takes place. I get it, if you don't care about the series then who cares, but it was entertaining enough.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

New episode of British Criptids
https://youtu.be/loZwFNT8H_s

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Buttchocks posted:

7 Women and a Murder was fun, entertaining, and not a huge time commitment. I enjoyed it more than Glass Onion.

thanks for mentioning this, I really liked it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
White Noise is awful. The affected dialogue is just... awful. Don Cheadle almost made it work but my God. Just... what even was the point of it

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I wouldn't say awful but it's a "fine" for me, and Baumbach's last two films have been some of my favorites of all time, so that's a step down for sure.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is this like a thing with Cosmopolis where people feel the dialogue was artificial and novelistic?
Cuz I'm #1 Cosmopolis defender, I feel like the writing just works well coming out of the mouths of these mostly robotic rich ghouls (plus it's Paul Giamatti's best performance). It's Network good.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

LifeLynx posted:

This is actually a pretty big spoiler for the movie and it's funny that people are talking about it un-tagged like it's no big deal. I read posts about her accent being bad, and when she was talking in the first half of the movie I was thinking the actor was British or something and people were complaining about her American accent. Then the reveal happened.

Oh gently caress, sorry that's a great point. I'll edit it to spoiler text. I'm the idiot.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

I didn’t notice the accents in Glass Onion as Kathryn Hann’s nipples were too busy stealing every scene she was in.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think I just find fake southern accents sit in an uncanny valley for me and if you aren’t from the south it probably will seem fine. Like I watched mare of eastown and her Philly accent seemed fine but I know people from Philly were like that’s not exactly it

silence of the lambs had a bad accent too and it’s also been parodied to death

Edit I watch a lot of stupid John Grisham movies so I don’t care about fake southern accents as much as it might seem lol. I didn’t have many criticisms of glass onion so the goofy stuff stuck out to me more which is why I mentioned it

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 1, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

White Noise is awful. The affected dialogue is just... awful. Don Cheadle almost made it work but my God. Just... what even was the point of it

I'm about halfway through with it and yeah... It's not keeping my attention

Edit - Yeah this ain't my jam

Medullah fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 1, 2023

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Good to know that my brain made the right choice in making me fall asleep during White Noise. Felt like it felt it was a clever allegory for something and I just didn't care.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is this like a thing with Cosmopolis where people feel the dialogue was artificial and novelistic?
Cuz I'm #1 Cosmopolis defender, I feel like the writing just works well coming out of the mouths of these mostly robotic rich ghouls (plus it's Paul Giamatti's best performance). It's Network good.
I think it's more than that, but also definitely that. I haven't read the book but I'm not sure these people are supposed to be robotic rich ghouls. It's a middle class family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I think it's more than that, but also definitely that. I haven't read the book but I'm not sure these people are supposed to be robotic rich ghouls. It's a middle class family.
Oh that was me still talking Cosmopolis