Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

maskenfreiheit2 posted:

haven't used it, i don't play video games

You don't need to play video games to have a good reason for a discord, setting one up as a business/club/influencer/employee conference room/etc., whether open or private, is brain-dead easy. If you have a large extended family that isn't horribly dysfunctional, estranged, and nobody rememberers who lives where, and you want everyone to stay in contact with each other, it's more efficient than Facebook.
You can basically create your own private bubble, with absolute control over what you want your posting rules to be; assign mods, sub-divide members into cliques, all kinds of neat stuff. If you want to probate/ban assholes well think they can skirt the letter of your rules while violating their spirit, you don't have to put up with that bullshit; hit em with the hammer.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

You don't need to play video games to have a good reason for a discord, setting one up as a business/club/influencer/employee conference room/etc., whether open or private, is brain-dead easy. If you have a large extended family that isn't horribly dysfunctional, estranged, and nobody rememberers who lives where, and you want everyone to stay in contact with each other, it's more efficient than Facebook.
You can basically create your own private bubble, with absolute control over what you want your posting rules to be; assign mods, sub-divide members into cliques, all kinds of neat stuff. If you want to probate/ban assholes well think they can skirt the letter of your rules while violating their spirit, you don't have to put up with that bullshit; hit em with the hammer.

Example: A hybrid scientific conference I attended recently used Discord as their virtual interaction tool, with having separate channels for all the virtual posters and talks and giving spaces for a semi-public Q&A. It worked better than previous virtual conference "software solutions" I've seen.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I do almost all my work over Discord because it's easier than Slack or whatever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Discord's basically what stuff like Skype or MSN Messenger used to be before Microsoft actively drove off its users.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Discord's basically what stuff like Skype or MSN Messenger used to be before Microsoft actively drove off its users.

I think it's supposed to be the distant successor of mirc/irc/icq?
Only now it comes with a bevy of options to create your very own No Homers Club

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Discord or slack, doesn't matter to me, just gently caress email forever

Lots of people still on the "this meeting could have been an email" train and I moved on to "this email could have been 1 line in teams"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What if the one line in Teams is “did you see my email yet?”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Discord being for gamers only is some boomer poo poo lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"The email should have been a JIRA comment"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"This one line could have been a statement on the PA system."

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

withak posted:

What if the one line in Teams is “did you see my email yet?”

This is the one line in teams that i send, tyvm

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if discord has more or less grooming than MSN

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"The email should have been a JIRA comment"

The comment would be "See my email on date X" because why use JIRA to actually store detail related to development?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

would love to know how jira became a thing over the last year or two. how could something so needlessly complicated become so popular? hell, outlook itself is a better ticketing/planning tool and it's bad enough. surely there's some other tool that improves upon outlook but isn't as overwrought as jira?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
My experience with JIRA is that you have tasks/tickets/bugs whatever and it's kind of like a forums post where you can add assets discussing it and link to other problems/features and I don't know, I would much rather do that than emails or Slack for everything. Especially if I'm wondering in six months what the hell I was doing.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

would love to know how jira became a thing over the last year or two. how could something so needlessly complicated become so popular? hell, outlook itself is a better ticketing/planning tool and it's bad enough. surely there's some other tool that improves upon outlook but isn't as overwrought as jira?

Jira is only as complicated as you make it, and it's been around for a decade and longer by now?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Most of my mentions in our Research group's Jira are requests for status updates on SNOW tickets. I intend to have people afraid to do that by February at the latest as my NY resolution.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

maybe it's how like everyone uses Zoom despite it sucking poo poo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think most people who resent things like Jira or Slack or Zoom either use them badly or work with people who use them badly. They’re flawed tools that nonetheless are very challenging to replace with dissimilar substitutes

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Jira can be a decent ticketing system for teams using agile or scrum methods.

Jira can also be an insane asylum run by the inmates where the ticket metadata is more important than the ticket content and KPIs make all decisions but most of them are not accurate measurements of anything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Staluigi posted:

Discord or slack, doesn't matter to me, just gently caress email forever

Lots of people still on the "this meeting could have been an email" train and I moved on to "this email could have been 1 line in teams"

The first few months of COVID WFH when everybody decided that all forms of interaction should be replaced with a scheduled video call :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, we used to go whole hog on Jira for a while as well, subdividing every new development into cards with estimations and everything. But eventually it turned out that just putting our heads together over a shared google doc and jotting down an outline and some relevant notes worked just as well and took like a tenth of the time. Then again we are a pretty small team, so it might have more utility with more people involved.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Now I just occasionally move a box from one lane to another, maybe add a comment , I no longer mind Jira.
It's one of those pieces of software that does so much it's unwieldy unless you have someone who can set it up and lock it down right.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The whole point of the thing is to help give some structure so that things are not forgotten, and to provide a broad overview of where things stand. But you will often find someone who starts to plan and track any minute detail and that inevitably grinds everything to a halt, especially when things don't go to plan.

Jira especially seems to be an invasive mind virus that makes people want to spend more time maintaining Jira than doing actual work.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

When I first started my job we used whatever awful, awful ticketing system HP had before they bought their new one, so our move to Jira was honestly an upgrade lol. Just have to avoid the PMs who micromanage Jira for a living.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The main problem continues to be middle management desperate not to let anyone realise their jobs don't actually do anything but harass the people doing the actual work.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wheeljack posted:

https://www.sfgate.com/tech/article/twitter-san-francisco-offices-stink-17685635.php

After Musk fired all the janitors at Twitter HQ, filth and odor is starting to build up there. Perhaps working with decaying food and body odors is part of his hardcore philosophy, but I think the landlord and health department may have some things to say shortly.

If I was one of the catering staff, I know for sure I would have unplugged every single fridge and freezer.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If I was one of the catering staff, I know for sure I would have unplugged every single fridge and freezer.

Just tell him they are critical servers, and he will unplug them himself.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mister Facetious posted:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

maybe it's how like everyone uses Zoom despite it sucking poo poo

?? What better video conferencing software is there? Don't say BlueJeans.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Never heard of Line, so it's probably a niche product for office nerds, and I'll bet it costs money, too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mister Facetious posted:

Never heard of Line, so it's probably a niche product for office nerds, and I'll bet it costs money, too.

Should have clarified replace Line with Facebook and that's basically my experience trying to get my friend groups and family to use Discord.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My experience with JIRA is that you have tasks/tickets/bugs whatever and it's kind of like a forums post where you can add assets discussing it and link to other problems/features and I don't know, I would much rather do that than emails or Slack for everything. Especially if I'm wondering in six months what the hell I was doing.

... That sounds like basically every bug tracker I've ever used? (If I've used JIRA it was enough of a one off that it didn't stick out)

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

eXXon posted:

?? What better video conferencing software is there? Don't say BlueJeans.

Just lmao that you don’t know the answer:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mister Facetious posted:

You haven't heard of it because it's only popular in Japan.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

Should have clarified replace Line with Facebook and that's basically my experience trying to get my friend groups and family to use Discord.

That just doesn't feel like a good fit for Discord. I think it shines with interest-based communities, where there can be a constant stream of discussion around a unified theme. Using it to replace IRL social networking connections and life updates feels extremely awkward and like it wouldn't satisfy most people's needs. If you want to look at your cousin's vacation pictures or whatever, Discord isn't nearly a good fit as good as Facebook.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

OddObserver posted:

... That sounds like basically every bug tracker I've ever used? (If I've used JIRA it was enough of a one off that it didn't stick out)

Yeah, I'm not bigging up JIRA over any other bug tracking framework, it's just what I have experience with.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Clarste posted:

You haven't heard of it because it's only popular in Japan.

But- but I watch so much anime!

:negative:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

food stuff was fired/stop before the janitors peeps.

Musky doesnt know that inhouse/onsite food is suppose to be for minmaxing work because then wagesslaves then dont waste time on travel and probably still do minor work talk at cafe tables or at their desk.

Also makes me think how Tesla's food policy is, like the yellow paint was given to him, but maybe mangagement told him to go stfu wrt to launch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

PhazonLink posted:

food stuff was fired/stop before the janitors peeps.

Musky doesnt know that inhouse/onsite food is suppose to be for minmaxing work because then wagesslaves then dont waste time on travel and probably still do minor work talk at cafe tables or at their desk.

You don't need to do that when the only staff left are the people that have no choice.