Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australia jumps on the "Ew, Chinese covid? No thanks!!" bandwagon

quote:

Australia's health minister, Mark Butler, said this decision taken was out of an "abundance of caution"
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-01/australia-introduces-testing-requirements-for-chinese-travellers/101820078

It's the only type of caution our government is prepared to take against covid. :v:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I’ve posted about this before, but the big shift from eating out as a special thing to eating out as an everyday thing happened in the late 70s/early 80s. The USDA published a massive paper about it.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/90228/eib-196.pdf?v=1103.4

Roach coaches and greasy spoons and the like have always existed for the time-poor working class, but eating out at a sit down place multiple times a week for “middle class” people is an invention created within my lifetime.

Can confirm, I was born in the early 70s and the only time I remember going into McDonalds as a kid was for birthday parties.

One year their freezer broke down and the icecream cake we'd ordered melted and my birthday was ruined. We got a lovely spongecake from the supermarket and put candles on it and sang happy birthday back at my Nanna's house but it wasn't the same. :qq:

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 06:03 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I turned on the local news and they’re doing a segment on how Covid restrictions have made it hard for restaurants and bars and they were hoping for a busy weekend and a return to normality.

There have been zero restaurant Covid restrictions here since April 2021. I feel like I’m going insane

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I turned on the local news and they’re doing a segment on how Covid restrictions have made it hard for restaurants and bars and they were hoping for a busy weekend and a return to normality.

There have been zero restaurant Covid restrictions here since April 2021. I feel like I’m going insane

Can't badmouth our PRIZED JORB CREATORS!

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

individual public health restrictions, like deciding not to get COVID, are making it hard to return to normal

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lol got me. open the thread for a lil surprise

https://twitter.com/jtrebach/status/1608897857670742016

Snowy Evening
Sep 29, 2021
Thank you Covid thread for helping to keep me sane and Covid-free for another year. It's been a demoralizing time, so I'm grateful for this thread, even just lurking.

Happy New Year to everyone spending a quiet evening at home :unsmith:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
what if we’re having a loud night at home

time to Prosecco in 2.75 hours

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Snowy Evening posted:

Thank you Covid thread for helping to keep me sane and Covid-free for another year. It's been a demoralizing time, so I'm grateful for this thread, even just lurking.

Happy New Year to everyone spending a quiet evening at home :unsmith:

Right back at yah! :)

Snowy Evening
Sep 29, 2021

Steve Yun posted:

what if we’re having a loud night at home

Fine, fine, you too! :toot:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Gonna watch the 2nd and 3rd Evangelion movies because trauma and disappointment in spite of trying without beginning or end is my 2022

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
got a bit of a scratchy throat and raspy voice developing this afternoon. PCR negative thursday, antigen negative earlier today (just been doing daily surveillance), no known exposures (i.e. none of the small number of events i was at this past week had people pop positive afterward). i had a really good long run this morning and no other symptoms.

hoping it's just the dry air or something but we'll see. happy new year covid thread...

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

I actually guessed right as soon as it was mentioned the dog has it too.

COVID would have been like my 2nd guess though

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
covid thread rocks, had a nice champagne toast with my wife and cats, and now it’s sleep time! happy new year let’s all survive until 2024 with intact endothelia

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
actually it’s going to be quiet in LA because it’s raining hard

we might not even have street fireworks! a new years miracle!

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

will be playing beethoven's ninth timed so it gets to the good bit of the last movement at midnight

happy new year thread. stay alive another year

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 07:12 on Jan 1, 2023

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Spending new years in the dark with some candles. And listening to the rain and wind outside with a background of sirens blaring and transformers exploding.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
My 2023 started off in an unusual way. I was doing dishes at the end of the day and just happened to glance out the window at exactly the right time to see what looked like a dog's rear legs and tail moving across my barely-lit back porch. I turned on the outside light and holy crap, there was a Siberian husky sniffing around. With a collar on.

My wife managed to get the (very sweet, it turns out) dog to come over and get a phone number from the collar. We corralled the dog into our garage and called the number. Long story short, the owner was about a half mile away, was new to the area, and didn't have a car, so I wound up driving some dude's dog home. When they reunited, he hugged her for like a minute. I live in a semirural area that's pretty much pitch black woods with an unlit 60 mph road connecting everything, so I'm really glad I happened to look out the window when I did. Otherwise dude and doggy might have had a lovely start to 2023.

Now I'm enjoying an imperial milk stout while Catzwang chills in my lap. Fingers crossed that there won't be too many more fireworks, since they keep waking my daughter. Happy 2023 y'all. May your ACE2 receptors remain pure.

Zugzwang has issued a correction as of 06:58 on Jan 1, 2023

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Imagine making GBS threads your diaper in the freezing cold being the last thing you did for fun before dying a few weeks later

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
happy new year covid thread. an invaluable source of information and commiseration and gallows humor. let's all stay alive ok

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
happy new year bolsonaro watchers

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1609324622125621250?s=46&t=aE8sGuGxlK-Kx7RTMQgfBQ

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
:3:

Props to you for doing something good this NYE instead of superspreading

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Steve Yun posted:

actually it’s going to be quiet in LA because it’s raining hard

we might not even have street fireworks! a new years miracle!

It’s a shame, now we’ll only have one day this year where the fireworks are so bad they tank the air quality

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I just saw an ad from Sandy Hook Promise that's essentially individualizing responsibility for prevention of school shootings

lol

never change, America. Yours is an unimpeachably shameless catastrophe.

lmso

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I know we're big on saying that most people get by because your odds of getting sick for just any given outing aren't that high, but going to a restaurant in the Christmas -> New Year period has got to have a crazy high hit rate. I feel like my chances of getting sick would be pretty high just from walking in to a takeout place unmasked right now.

Anyway, Happy New Year, cavers!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ham Cheeks posted:

did she get vaxx'd?

Highly, highly doubt it. She was horse pasting it up, whole nine yards. I stopped talking to her early 2020 but monitor her FB feed to keep up with the crazy on the right wing. She's probably evangelical by now she apparently went to some concerned moms group meetup in Colorado Springs at some point.

Happy New Year y'all, I'm going to bed.

Oracle has issued a correction as of 07:30 on Jan 1, 2023

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Back on the spreadsheet, folks! Asking to watch the new Avatar movie without taking off your mask was the line in the sand.

Hahaha wtf humans literally have to wear PPE to survive on Pandora. Y’all ain’t better than Jake Sully.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/DisabledBeing/status/1608981379890675714

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/BRASILWIRE/status/1609332061424197632

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

We’re watching the Dolly Parton/Miley Cyrus NYE show thing and and she just referenced “that flu that’s been going around the last three year”

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

can't believe it's COVID's senior year already! they grow up so fast, but I'm glad that they're legally required to graduate after 4 years, so it's almost over!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Cushbomb got got, but acknowledges the potential future owning of his immune system.

Up to around first 10 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdMeye3sAZU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Paradoxish posted:

I know we're big on saying that most people get by because your odds of getting sick for just any given outing aren't that high, but going to a restaurant in the Christmas -> New Year period has got to have a crazy high hit rate. I feel like my chances of getting sick would be pretty high just from walking in to a takeout place unmasked right now.

Anyway, Happy New Year, cavers!

This is like the most dangerous time to go to a restaurant maybe in the last three years, I don’t know how they even made it three years if it hadn’t occurred to them to avoid dining out during Covidmas 2022. It’s like waiting to go swimming until the water is fully red with chum and you can see fins.

Soap Scum posted:

can't believe it's COVID's senior year already! they grow up so fast, but I'm glad that they're legally required to graduate after 4 years, so it's almost over!

Yeah, sorry that was just pre-k

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
me coming out of isolation in 2025

ed

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 08:43 on Jan 1, 2023

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Bolsonaro escaped to the one place covid cant get him. Florida!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

speaking of migrating bugs - I got stinkbugs for the first time this year in my house and I was just like what the gently caress.

My husband made the mistake of vacuuming them up and now our vacuum smells like rear end.

https://patch.com/washington/seattle/stink-bugs-wa-how-stop-them-they-smell-your-home

lol gross :barf:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Steve Yun posted:

edit this out immediately, we’re dealing with a litigious prick here. he sued the forums or some poo poo.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

mawarannahr posted:

edit this out immediately, we’re dealing with a litigious prick here. he sued the forums or some poo poo.

lol this is the first I'm hearing of this, what happened?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real Mean Queen posted:

lol this is the first I'm hearing of this, what happened?

Athanatos posted:

Hello people who F5 QCS to get the early drop on drama! In the previous few threads this week there were a buncha posts saying the mods and admins should be more transparent with stuff. Not only about probes and forum direction, but just in general. So every so often I figure I'll open a thread when I am active so you can yell at me or tell me about your Fishing adventures, D&D Characters, threads I should read for fun, or let me know Forum poo poo that gets your chili running hot.

My end is going to be saying what things I've been doing around here, answering questions, and setting your probe timers to whatever I fancy. Some admin things I did this week:

-Asked for volunteers and then moved the 2020 Comic Strip thread to a hidden forum so they could edit out all the Larson Far Side stuff. They did great. I offered free SA store poo poo. Moved it back to BSS and put up a bounty if someone finds anything they missed for more free SA store stuff.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Steve Yun posted:

haha gently caress

Somebody has issued a correction as of 09:06 on Jan 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hanging out. Drinking a nice chai. Painted a cool painting earlier. Listening to the great sound of fireworks just randomly going off.

Hopefully I can make it another year covid free. I hope you all can too. Happy New Year friends