Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

I just flew them to Miami last week from Lisbon. It was okay, albeit like a 2010-era LCC with carryon only, a single* terrible meal for a 9 hour flight, and someone weighing bags and hassling people at the gate during boarding. So pretty bad for a national carrier like Swiss or Air France or Iberia, ok if compared to like, Norwegian Air Shuttle.

*they had a "breakfast" before landing but (a) the flight left at 11am and arrived at like 3pm, and (b) it was a tiny muffin that was fine, plus some absolutely disgusting salad made out of cod. Traditional Portuguese food is the absolute rock bottom worst of any national cuisine, incredibly salty salted cod in everything. At least the Icelanders don’t put hakarl in their breakfast cereal.

For Sicily I was there for five days in April just before Easter. It was pretty dead everywhere touristy, like Segesta maybe had 20 people at the entire site, and Erice had like 10 people in the entire village and a single restaurant open. My wife went to east side of the island after and wasn’t a huge fan of Taormina but she absolutely loved the Aeolian islands. You can base on one and daytrips to the others… if weather is good and if Volcano is not erupting. Stromboli is pretty far and you’d want the summer ferry schedule, but it’s possible even with the winter ferry schedule. Depends when you plan on going to that area.
Oh man, regarding breakfast, my flight from Banjul was at like 2am and they served breakfast at like 3:30 or something stupid like that, good luck getting any sleep on that flight. At least it was pretty tasty, no gross fish or anything.

The winter ferry is a bit sketchy, I didn't manage to leave for two days due to weather. Had to abandon the islands :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
How is Norway in February for Hiking/Fatbikes/Cross country skiing for someone who's reasonably fit and capable with hiking but used to weather about 30-40 degrees warmer?
Trying to get a sense of if I will get to experience ~the magic of the fjords~ or if I'm just going to be cold and sad because all the cool fun things require a lot more skill and preparation in order to not die in a blizzard.

As a secondary question, are there any day hikes that people would recommend that are at least sorta on the way between Paris and Rome by train with the caveat that I'll be there in Jan? Currently looking at a pathway that's probably something like Paris > Lyon > Turin > Rome but I'm on a pretty relaxed schedule so might end up doing something like Paris > Strasbourg > ????? > Rome instead.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
For Norway: I imagine it’s like Switzerland in Feb since it’s higher latitude but lower elevation, meaning everything significantly above sea level will be snowy. It’ll depend on the year but you can forget about hiking and double forget about mountain biking. Cross country or ski touring would be fine.

For between Rome and Paris, there are way too many options for hikes to be more precise. Just pick a direction and look at AllTrails and pick one with photos you like and a difficulty and time in your fitness and availability level. Also keep in mind that the fast trains generally only stop in very few towns in the Alps, eg Modane only from Torino towards Geneva. If you take the slow train which goes from Torino to Lyon, that stops in more mountain towns so you can get out and overnight there easily. At least that will be the case until they finish the new high speed train from Lyon to Torino, which will 100% bypass the entirety of the Alps by going under it, but I think that’s scheduled for completion several years from now. Same for the Swiss route: if you go from Milan to Zürich, the new (~2017) tunnel means the normal train no longer actually stops anywhere in the Alps, since it goes under them entirely.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

A Banana posted:

How is Norway in February for Hiking/Fatbikes/Cross country skiing for someone who's reasonably fit and capable with hiking but used to weather about 30-40 degrees warmer?
Trying to get a sense of if I will get to experience ~the magic of the fjords~ or if I'm just going to be cold and sad because all the cool fun things require a lot more skill and preparation in order to not die in a blizzard.

As a secondary question, are there any day hikes that people would recommend that are at least sorta on the way between Paris and Rome by train with the caveat that I'll be there in Jan? Currently looking at a pathway that's probably something like Paris > Lyon > Turin > Rome but I'm on a pretty relaxed schedule so might end up doing something like Paris > Strasbourg > ????? > Rome instead.
Norway is a big place, latitude-wise, it's a bit like asking what the weather will be like on the West Coast in the US. If you are going to coastal areas in the south (eg Bergen, Stavanger) then there will probably be little snow. If you are going to inland mountains or far north snow is pretty much guaranteed.

With the caveat that I have limited experience with Norway in the winter (been once to Narvik and Lofoten in March, plenty of snow but I could do some limited hiking), but I am from neighbouring Sweden.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh wow, metal detectors at the train station here in Madrid

Have I really not taken a train since 2015? I guess all this guy implemented after some attack seven years ago. Super lame

Edit: were on a renfre train, masks are required here too, just got, probably, chewed out by the conductor I'm guessing

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 31, 2022

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The metal detectors were definitely there when o visited in early 2017, though iirc only at the long distance station and not the subways.

I distinctly recall a security woman yelling ABRIGO ABRIGO at me while I frantically tried to recall from Duolingo what abrigo meant

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Yep, mask are required on all public transport in Spain, and some Renfe lines have security checkpoints. It's pretty fast though, nothing like the airport, and pretty lax too. A couple times I forgot about it and packed some weed paraphernalia including a metal grinder and I just put it in my pocket. So now that I think of it, in Barcelona at least they don't have metal detectors just baggage scanners.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There was some shooting on a train headed to Paris from... Amsterdam or Belgium back in 2015 which now employs some ten security employees at both upper and lower decks at the main station in Madrid

Yeah it's not a huge hassle, they just want to scan your coat and anything purse size or larger, no metal detector

Kind of sad though, I really enjoyed the magic that you could just wander in, wander onto a train and get whisked off to some new magical city. Now I have to interface with some random goons. Really puts a damper on the whole freedom of movement thing that trains represent. Not a big deal but slow chipping away of freedoms, just 20 years behind the US

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

So my wife and I are gonna be in Rome the last weekend of January. We've already booked the early morning Vatican entry and breakfast, and are thinking of doing a walking tour of the forum and centro storico another morning. Posting with three more specific questions:
1) restaurant/meal recommendations. We have dinners booked at Roscioli and Dogma, but are willing to change either/both. Thing is, my wife can't eat too much gluten (she's not strictly celiac, so it's not a risk, it just bothers her stomach) so we need places with not-pasta on the menu. If we should change either dinner spot say so, and also open to suggestions on lunches and aperitivo spots;
2) calmer ways to kill afternoons. Both the walking tour and Vatican museums will be morning plans, so totally happy to take recommendations on what to do between those and dinner;
3) a good wine shop. We live in Switzerland, and wine is much more expensive here. I'd love to be able to bring home two or three good bottles of (likely Piemontese) red, and am willing to spend to do so, but need to be told where.

Also note that I have some, but not much, Italian, if that matters - for basic transactions I can muddle through. And we're staying in Monti.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
There's uhh... more to Italian cooking than just pasta. You are aware of that, right? As for Roscioli and Dogma, you can find their menu online.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm going to keep recommending Sorpasso by the Vatican until someone goes

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Dance Officer posted:

There's uhh... more to Italian cooking than just pasta. You are aware of that, right? As for Roscioli and Dogma, you can find their menu online.

I'm very aware, yes - my family are from near Turin. It just means that I need to look beyond places that serve carbonara, alla gricia, and cacio e pepe, and I don't know where to start with that in Rome. And there's only so much you can glean doing research online - I know Roscioli and Dogma are "safe," I don't know if they're the best restaurants.

kiimo posted:

I'm going to keep recommending Sorpasso by the Vatican until someone goes

Thanks!

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I was on a mission to find the best dessert last time I was in Rome, so here was my finding: San pietrino al cioccolatto in
https://maps.app.goo.gl/CXwf7n946qLH893z5

In general I was recommended to look around Campo de Fiori and Trastevere for food, so I guess I'm passing it along.

I really enjoyed just chilling in the Villa Borghese, nice big park with art museum to jump into (and also zoo).
I'd recommend an afternoon in Ostia antica (it takes a few hours to walk around it all).

It takes quite a while (few hours) to walk around the Forum, so keep it in mind if you're booking Colosseum on the same day.
Other than that, it depends on how much time you have and how many museums you want to get to - the Capitoline museum is cool and you've got the Piazza Venezia right next to it for another afternoon to spend in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Given how good Google translate is, I'm always stunned at how bad it is when it comes to translating bus and airline ticket websites

It's gotten better over time, but it's still awful

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Google translate is fast and convenient but it's far from good. DeepL is what the kids are using these days, but you do have to c/p the text manually and it only does 27 languages compared to the ridiculous number Google claims to handle.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Italian Lakes Man is back again!

What car rental agencies are good/reputable/reliable? The internet travel agencies throw out some companies I never heard of that are half the price or less of the others, but their reviews are terrible. I know people only post reviews when they're mad, though.

I've had great experiences with Europcar, and I know Sixt has a good rep. Otherwise, I've read that the big American companies are also ok on the other side of the ocean. It's the SurPrices, Foxes, OkMobilitys, LeaSyses, etc, that I don't know about.

Thanks!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Jumping on the Italy contributions to check again for Napoli recommendations. Suddenly realised my trip is next month and other than the 'obvious' stuff (Herculaneum, Pompeii and Vesuvio; archaeological museum; Cimitero Delle Fontanelle; catacombs) I'm not sure what else we should consider.

I'll also be there for my birthday, so special occasion bar and restaurant recommendations would also be appreciated!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
For car rentals: be aware for Italy that AmEx insurance DOES NOT cover Italy. In fact nearly all "extra supplemental insurance" companies specifically do not cover Italy if you look in the fine print, so it is one of a very few countries where the CDW may be worth it. If you're not a European I think sometimes you might get hassled and they may want an IDP.

For agencies: I like EuropCar, as the only two times I've ever had an issue with a rental, both times were with EuropCar and both times they were great (once: damage to a wheel well caused during offroads driving, they billed me a very reasonable like $200; the other: a flat tire where I returned the car using the full-size spare and with the flat in the trunk, not fixed, they did not charge me). I used some little local agency in Palermo last year because it was 1/2 the price of everyone else, which turned out fine. Just take a full video, with the person checking your car at the beginning, and you shouldn't have any problems. Those scam damages (imo) seem to be more of a historical thing now that you can easily show whether the damage was there or not on car pickup -- which I've had to use once, I forget with which agency, and was replied with an "oh, ok, I guess you both missed that on pickup". Better to be careful on pickup, but at least you can get a second insurance policy with a video. (Assuming you did not actually cause the damage.) E: Occasionally I have booked cars from agencies with terrible reviews, because they were much cheaper, and so far I've yet to be burned. I think they're likely just "mediocre" agencies so no one loves it and bothers to give a 5* review, and the vast majority of people have a 3.5* experience and thus don't bother reviewing. I'll pay maybe 20% extra for EuropCar/Sixt.

For Naples area, how long are you there? Without a rental car, obvious other things to hit are Ischia, Sorrento, and Caserta castle. I would prioritize Ischia over Capri, but having never been to Capri I can't really say if that's obviously the right choice, it's just a lot closer. The southern Amalfi coast (Positano area) is hard to do by public transport.

With a car, Paestum is neat but also not accessible by public transport and, if you've been to massive Greek temples before, they're all the same and imo not worth the effort of renting a car specifically for that. (If you never have been to any Greek ruins, then Paestum is one of the best.)

You could probably spend 7 very full days in the Naples area (±1.5 hours by PT) before running out of Tier 1 Must See sites.

For food, I've been to Naples a couple times within the past few years and eaten well but nowhere in particular sticks out in my memory. I always just look on TripAdvisor for "rooftop" or "seaside" and then flip through photos and pick one. I love Italian food and cuisine but honestly I think all of the restaurant menus are nearly identical so I pick them purely based on location and atmosphere.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 3, 2023

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have many of the CC's that offer auto insurance but depending on the cost of the car rental, I always opt for fully coverage directly from the car rental company. Usually it's around $50 - $200 extra but it's nice knowing that if anything happens, I don't have to worry about any paperwork or back and forth with my CC company and the car rental company.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Saladman posted:

For Naples area, how long are you there? / Greek temples / food

There for 5 nights, get in around midday on day one and need to be at the airport around 6pm on the last day.

Been to Athens so have definitely seen a lot of Greek temples!

I was tempted by a day trip to Rome if time allows, but don't want to pack too much in.

It's interesting that there were no stand-out food places! I was warned that TripAdvisor et al are not the most reliable in Napoli because of fake reviews, but I don't know how accurate that is. It's been our usual way of finding good stuff when in European cities, so sounds like it's still worthwhile to check.

I have this vaguely sketched out in my mind:

Day 1 Settle in, maybe catacombs +/- Cimitero Delle Fontanelle

Day 2 Pompeii + Vesuvio

Day 3 Roma

Day 4 Herculaneum + ?

Day 5 Archaeology museum, other city centre stuff/wandering/Vomero

Day 6 ?

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 3, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In Europe, locals tend to leave their reviews on google maps. So if you want accurate information about restaurants etc, check that.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

There for 5 nights, get in around midday on day one and need to be at the airport around 6pm on the last day.

Been to Athens so have definitely seen a lot of Greek temples!

I was tempted by a day trip to Rome if time allows, but don't want to pack too much in.

It's interesting that there were no stand-out food places! I was warned that TripAdvisor et al are not the most reliable in Napoli because of fake reviews, but I don't know how accurate that is. It's been our usual way of finding good stuff when in European cities, so sounds like it's still worthwhile to check.

I have this vaguely sketched out in my mind:

Day 1 Settle in, maybe catacombs +/- Cimitero Delle Fontanelle

Day 2 Pompeii + Vesuvio

Day 3 Roma

Day 4 Herculaneum + ?

Day 5 Archaeology museum, other city centre stuff/wandering/Vomero

Day 6 ?

I’d probably move day 5 to day 6 assuming you can easily leave luggage somewhere, and then on day 5 visit Ischia, so that you feel like you’ve seen a bit more of the area (and a famous Italian island). Archaeology museum is great, but not enormous like the Louvre or British Museum. On day 4, add Villa Poppaea - it is in such good condition, eg all the walls are still painted in excellent condition, that you’d think it was a reconstruction of an ancient Roman Villa.

I agree Rome is kind of far. Not undoable, just kind of expensive and it’ll be a long day. The train is fast but you’ll be walking around Rome all day. Do you think you’ll be back in the next 10 years or do you think this is like a once in a lifetime / twice in a lifetime kind of trip? If the latter I’d go for it. If the former then I guess I’d consider Caserta, Positano, or Vesuvius, depending on how active you like to be (Caserta for early industrial age Italian palaces, Positano for typical Italian riviera type stuff, Vesuvius if you want to be a bit more active. I’ve only spent like 10 days total in the area across two trips, once with a car in like 2014 once without in like 2017, so I’m not like a huge expert on that part of Italy.

Agree on Google Maps reviews. I still use TA to do searching to some extent though since it’s easier to search for like "nice terrace restaurant" there and see a bunch of photos in a list, without having to click on 50 things.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Saladman posted:

I’d probably move day 5 to day 6 assuming you can easily leave luggage somewhere, and then on day 5 visit Ischia, so that you feel like you’ve seen a bit more of the area (and a famous Italian island). Archaeology museum is great, but not enormous like the Louvre or British Museum. On day 4, add Villa Poppaea - it is in such good condition, eg all the walls are still painted in excellent condition, that you’d think it was a reconstruction of an ancient Roman Villa.

I agree Rome is kind of far. Not undoable, just kind of expensive and it’ll be a long day. The train is fast but you’ll be walking around Rome all day.

I'm only travelling from the UK, but I try to go to a new country when I travel so I couldn't say when/whether I'd make it back to Italy any time soon. I don't have any islands on the itinerary because of going in February, when the weather might not be amazing for getting on a boat.

Villa Poppaea sounds interesting, need to work out if it will be after half a day of wandering round ruins. I got really fed up of looking at Greek pottery when in Athens, ha.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Rome in one day really doesn't seem like doing it justice. Heck, just doing the Vatican is a large part of a day.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Bollock Monkey posted:

I'm only travelling from the UK, but I try to go to a new country when I travel so I couldn't say when/whether I'd make it back to Italy any time soon. I don't have any islands on the itinerary because of going in February, when the weather might not be amazing for getting on a boat.

Villa Poppaea sounds interesting, need to work out if it will be after half a day of wandering round ruins. I got really fed up of looking at Greek pottery when in Athens, ha.

Completely agree. Hercolano Pompeii and Villa Poppaea are all quite appreciably different. I actually thought Pompeii was the least interesting of the three, as I’ve seen a hundred other equivalent ruins, but Hercolano is unique in that the structures are still intact as multistory buildings, and Villa Poppaea looks good enough you could add a shower, move some furniture in, and start living there next week. Pompeii is mostly just building foundations and the lower third of the wall of the first floor. I mean it’s super cool and it’s huge but IMO the least unique to walk around.

Hercolano is small, maybe max max 2 hrs to walk around it. Villa Poppaea also is just a rich person’s house, you’d be hard pressed to spend more than 45 minutes there.

But yeah definitely depends on the person, I really like wandering around ruins and urbexing in its various forms.

E: also yeah I wouldn’t be super psyched about going to the islands in February, but if the weather is good I guess think about it. Ischia is pretty big and at least will have some stuff open; I suspect Capri would be totally dead.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 3, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was in Naples almost exactly a year ago. I'll agree that Pompeii is definitely worth visiting but walking around the foundations does get old pretty quickly. Otherwise not much to add.

Maybe keep an eye out on weather and if it's nice enough, do try the islands. We did Anacapi and it's cool. I'd leave Rome to another trip, I'm sure it's doable but you should have plenty of direct flights from the UK to just hop over whenever there's a sale. I like to visit different countries too but Italy is worth more than one and I try to do at least two every year.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Oh and I forgot to mention, be careful with driving around Naples and even around Sorrento. I receieved two automated tickets because I entered the wrong area. One of the tickets was when I was doing a 3 point turn and I got dinged with a 90 euro fine. And also I guess you're not supposed to drive within the city on certain dates if you don't have a special license plate.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Absolutely not going to drive in Italy!

Good reinforcement re: Rome, you're all right. I think I am just not sure what to do as something extra for my birthday/making the most of the trip. Maybe lack of travel over covid has made me forget how to travel properly!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'd like to think every airport has wildly different screening procedures as a way to fluster would-be bombers or something, but I know the reality is just that security teams and protocols are just wildly incompetent

Definitely not standing in line at an airport

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Landed in Germany, 40 min late. Need to transfer to a train that only comes every 2 hr and is the next-to-last of the day. Fortunately that train is running 30 minutes late. Wait no now it says 50 minutes late as we’re running to it. Need to buy tickets; website kept stalling. Four ticket machines in the station, 1 completely broken, 2 silently broken. One working with a line. Use that extra 10 minutes to get tickets. Train delayed 20 further minutes, but not announced on track, just disappears and is replaced by another train on the panel. Go and search for someone to ask. Prints out a sheet saying 70 minute delay. Train arrives and departs with a 63 minute delay.

E: then the train arrived to where I need to change with a 90 minute delay, meaning I missed the connection by 2 minutes and need to wait 90 for the next - and last - train home. Fortunately for me the next train back gets me home or I’d find out what it costs to Uber like 200 km. Typical DB quality.

Ah, back to my regularly scheduled shitshow of why I avoid DB. Also DB randomly requires masks, but the plane and airport didn’t? I don’t really care either way but good lord you’d think there could be some consistency.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 4, 2023

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Every German I've ever met hates DB with a passion. Every Brit I've ever spoken to who's used the trains in Germany says the system is awesome and then has a big cry.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Hadlock posted:

I'd like to think every airport has wildly different screening procedures as a way to fluster would-be bombers or something, but I know the reality is just that security teams and protocols are just wildly incompetent

Definitely not standing in line at an airport

The whole "take your shoes off" drives me up the loving wall, thankfully it's pretty much only the US where you have to do it

I also never bother taking off my belt (it's never once set off a metal detector), and unless they specifically ask I don't take out electronics or liquids either. Very rarely have a problem, anywhere in the world. And I only ever take carry-on luggage so I've always got all that stuff in my bag

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wizzair has flights to TERF island [E: aka Britain] for :20bux:, worth it for a long weekend?

Haven't been there as an adult, no idea if it's turned into a nightmare since and there's anything to do in the winter.

webmeister posted:

The whole "take your shoes off" drives me up the loving wall, thankfully it's pretty much only the US where you have to do it

I also never bother taking off my belt (it's never once set off a metal detector), and unless they specifically ask I don't take out electronics or liquids either. Very rarely have a problem, anywhere in the world. And I only ever take carry-on luggage so I've always got all that stuff in my bag
Yeah loving shoes are the worst. Not only it's completely pointless, but also inconvenient and gross as hell. I got a belt with a plastic buckle that I use whenever I have a lot of flights, so that's one thing not to worry about.

Also my home airport:
Do you have a laptop or other electronics? Please take them out. Ok.

Connecting flight from Lisbon that same day:
No no please put the laptop in the bag, it's all scanned together. Fuuuk.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 5, 2023

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Anytime I leave the UK they always get you to take out electronics and liquids.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Amsterdam airport hasn't required it for some years after they got new equipment. I guess it depends on whether airports have such scanners.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Wizzair has flights to TERF island for :20bux:, worth it for a long weekend?

I spent a few months in late fall / early winter in London and it’s okay, I mean it’s not like it matters if the weather sucks if you’re in the British Museum all day. Also it’s the UK so the weather is cold and rainy like 80% of summer too. Still, long way to go for a weekend. TERF island is a new one to me, I thought that was going to be an abbreviation for Terceira or something.

For the US, depending on your passport* you can get Global Entry which includes TSApre, which makes flying in the US similar to how it was in August 2001. It’s great, even easier than Zürich airport, which is my favorite airport in the world, albeit I haven’t been to any of the high rated Asian or Middle East airports.

*the list of eligible countries is a super random grab bag, like Argentina and India, and it’s not a list of the US’s best buddies.

"U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents, citizens of Switzerland, Germany, the United Kingdom, Argentina, India, Colombia, Panama, Singapore, South Korea, and Mexican nationals are eligible for Global Entry membership. “

Weird, same very short list as it was four years ago when my wife and I got it. And used it a total of two times since. At least renewal is easy now.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Be aware that due to a decade of austerity, inflation, cost of living rises, and the government refusing to give pay rises to public sector workers, there are a whole bunch of strikes at the moment. For a tourist the most impactful would be the rail strikes, however if you get ill or hit by a bus or something the nurse/paramedic strike might affect you too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha, I thought TERF island meant Tenerife, I need some coffee.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

I spent a few months in late fall / early winter in London and it’s okay, I mean it’s not like it matters if the weather sucks if you’re in the British Museum all day. Also it’s the UK so the weather is cold and rainy like 80% of summer too. Still, long way to go for a weekend. TERF island is a new one to me, I thought that was going to be an abbreviation for Terceira or something.
Yeah it's new nickname to me too, I think I picked it up from the Shaun's video on Rowling or something like that? Probably should've used it to avoid confusion :)

I'm in Europe so it's only like 1.5 hours, will probably take longer to get to London proper from loving Luton. Good point about the weather though, and I don't think I've been to the British Museum as I spent most of my time outside of London so that would take most of a day already I'd imagine.

Lady Gaza posted:

Be aware that due to a decade of austerity, inflation, cost of living rises, and the government refusing to give pay rises to public sector workers, there are a whole bunch of strikes at the moment. For a tourist the most impactful would be the rail strikes, however if you get ill or hit by a bus or something the nurse/paramedic strike might affect you too.
Thanks for the heads-up, I guess I'll take a first aid kit just in case!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Lady Gaza posted:

Enjoying this post because I genuinely can’t tell which European country you’re referring to