Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nothingtoseehere posted:

In the spirit of New Years, I would like to remind everyone of the photo that artistically defined britishness, 6 years ago on NYE 2016.

This renaissance masterpiece.

As beautiful as it was the night it was taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
still a bit under half an hour to get another prime minister in

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Angepain posted:

still a bit under half an hour to get another prime minister in

Or another pope.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

jacksbrat posted:

Or another pope.
Presumably Popes work on the same rules as slayers so a new one has already awakened and will appear in an exciting episode cliffhanger sometime next year.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There's a concluding argument to be had here, so I might as well get it out this year (your timezone).

Patriarchy hurts everyone, and boy it's no picnic to the disadvantaged men vulnerable to the alt-right either. They do have very real problems, generally not ones helped by hating women, but the problem is that resenting not getting laid gets read as resenting women all the time, and the advice people give is loving worthless. Society at large has really hosed up views about how you're supposed to deal with sexual relationships and this isn't anywhere close to being a problem exclusive to the right wing. And leftist spaces are very full of the idea you're not allowed to feel anything about it, and that you need to better yourself in ways that are completely loving incomprehensible when you try to translate them into action.

And then there's the treatment men abused by women get. That's always been real poo poo and it's been getting worse lately. Yes, men abusing women is far more common. That's a cold comfort for the men in that situation.

More and more I see bringing up these concerns shut down as whataboutism, and that's the dumbest part of it all. You can - should - work on all of these problems at the same time, because they feed into each other and any way to slow down the doom spiral society's in will also help fighting with every other problem present. This is why I get flashbacks from trying to discuss society with hardline communists. If everyone switched over to the better way of doing things at once, then we'd all be fine, but that's not going to happen so we need to at least acknowledge the path there is difficult.

Are the salvageable men the ringleaders? No. Most of this problem is privileged failsons. But they are very much a part of the problem, and better, they're far easier to influence. Sexuality and the need for belonging are both extremely common aspects of the human experience. If someone can't find a place that will accept them other than the alt-right, you've lost them to the alt-right.

Quite a few of them resent society's gender roles and capitalism far more than they resent women.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The observation that painting men as a danger to women is used to attack black men and trans women is very important - and the answer of "just don't do that, find some other tack" is also a good one.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Happy New Year, death to all Tories and victory to the Unions in 2023

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sebzilla posted:

There's one particular union I'm not too fond of.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
A look ahead, to the year ahead...

🤣🤣🤣🤣
🤣🤣🤣🤣
🤣🤣🤣🤣

and as usual

I wish all

TORIES

a very

GO gently caress YOURSELF

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
New Year. Happynings.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Presumably Popes work on the same rules as slayers so a new one has already awakened and will appear in an exciting episode cliffhanger sometime next year.

In season 1 Buffy drowns in a shallow puddle, because the prophecy says she dies. Then Xander and Angel burst in, and Xander revives her. But because of Slayer rules, a few episodes later they meet a sassy, African slayer who shows up and almost slays Angel :ohdear: She was awakened because Buffy was dead, you see. Slayers and royalty work via weird quantum mechanics magic (as per Pratchett), but Popes are still plain old ordinary elected :(

And you can have many popes simultaneously! I don't remember what the record was, 4 anti-popes running around at the same time at one point?

Happy New Year, UK goons! :toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
hell, we have at least two antipopes right now, not counting me

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Rappaport posted:

In season 1 Buffy drowns in a shallow puddle, because the prophecy says she dies. Then Xander and Angel burst in, and Xander revives her. But because of Slayer rules, a few episodes later they meet a sassy, African slayer who shows up and almost slays Angel :ohdear: She was awakened because Buffy was dead, you see. Slayers and royalty work via weird quantum mechanics magic (as per Pratchett), but Popes are still plain old ordinary elected :(

And you can have many popes simultaneously! I don't remember what the record was, 4 anti-popes running around at the same time at one point?

Happy New Year, UK goons! :toot:

What i'm hearing is we should be repeatedly drowning and reviving king charles to activate the maximum amount of royalty at once. Back to back coronations from now until the end of time, what a boon to the commemorative plates industry!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
There are loads of popes.
The RC church is not the only one to have popes. Various Orthodox traditions also have popes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_popes_and_patriarchs

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Happy new year goons! Gonna ruin this post's good vibe by wading in on the incel debate.

I don't know if media's getting better about it, but drat if it didn't feel like having sex with a woman wasn't mandatory to not have failed as an adult, and that's literally the only way sex was presented, so the whole incel movement is just picking up on the inevitable conclusion of the broken messaging that boys are bombarded with.
It doesn't help that schoolyard culture discourages boys and girls from being friends (paradoxically by accusing them of being gay and/or being in a relationship).
That's gonna be some hard lessons to unlearn.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Happy New Year, may 2023 be slightly less of a loving 180 mph ferris wheel than the latter half of 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebzilla posted:

:hai:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mr Phillby posted:

What i'm hearing is we should be repeatedly drowning and reviving king charles to activate the maximum amount of royalty at once. Back to back coronations from now until the end of time, what a boon to the commemorative plates industry!
A kind of reverse golden throne, where Charles is eternally being killed and brought back to life to pump out ten thousand psykers (columnists) a day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Happy New Year All :toot:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The RC church is not the only one to have popes. Various Orthodox traditions also have popes.
Everyone who ever received one of these is a genuine and authorized pope

Especially the doctor the reverend Ian R. K. Paisley, Baron Bannside, Lord's special Ulsterman, may he rest in being deid, who received one through his letter box way back and had a moment over it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't everyone who didn't receive one also a pope?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
But... today is my unbirthday too!!

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Happy new yer

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sebzilla posted:

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 1, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thread has reached possibly its lowest ebb since the Pissflaps Era in the last couple of days. I refrained from saying anything because I have nothing better to contribute and my opinion has no relevance so I'm only adding to the noise I guess, but it's pretty confounding. I guess the holidays make people squirrelly.

Best post of the week by some margin

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

aw gently caress

::rip: Uncle Shredder

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/dec/31/waitrose-stops-selling-single-use-vaping-products

I swear to god these are the dumbest loving things ever - why are people buying single use vapes over and over again, just get a loving tank and refill it. Not only will you stop littering these loving things everywhere (which have some valuable metals in them) but you'll probably save a small fortune instead of buying these every time you want to vape.

Why are people such consumerist idiots?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/31/former-pope-benedict-xvi-dies-aged-95
Happy New Year!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/dec/31/waitrose-stops-selling-single-use-vaping-products

I swear to god these are the dumbest loving things ever - why are people buying single use vapes over and over again, just get a loving tank and refill it. Not only will you stop littering these loving things everywhere (which have some valuable metals in them) but you'll probably save a small fortune instead of buying these every time you want to vape.

Why are people such consumerist idiots?

Because they are 12

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Because they are 12

For me it was because I wanted to try it out as a non-smoker, I bought two last year and it made perfect sense financially and probably also helped prevent becoming a nicotine addict via sunk cost fallacy and such, compared to buying some kind of permanent setup.

Far more convenient too.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 1, 2023

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Happy New year!

I wonder how many terrible PM's we will have this year?

I also wonder if we will get a general strike....

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Private Speech posted:

Far more convenient too.

What? The same convenience as buying the liquids and refilling the tank from the exact same counter in a reusable vape? It's a loving waste. They're littered everywhere in London these days.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm curious about Dragon Quest Treasures; how much like usual Dragon Quest is it? I usually get bored with Dragon Quests at some point after the Plot Twist when all the grinding and the optimising the character classes and the oh god yet another unavoidable gauntlet of palette-swapped whatsits gets to be too much work for me but treasure-hunting sounds like fun - does it still end up working like the mainline DQs or is the gameplay enough different to be worth me trying?

Its got a fantastic core loop and is nothing like a dragon quest game, but uses all the art/sfx.

Go out into big open world, collect treasure and tame monsters. Return to base and upgrade. Repeat.

You then get bigger and bigger monsters with a staggering amount of depth and go gently caress poo poo up.

You play a healing, debuffing, buffing support class with a slingshot and a party of tanks and healers and it's totally eaten my entire holiday and it's great.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 1, 2023

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
wow, hard to imagine 1990 is 13 years ago. that's cray-see

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_popes_and_patriarchs

Which, if any, poo poo in the woods though?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Which, if any, poo poo in the woods though?

This one:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

If there were religious leaders like that, maybe I'd be a believer.

Also, my dog is called Bear and he definitely shits in the woods. In the bushes, where no one walks, so I don't have to pick it up. Good boy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

There should be a special place in Hell or prison or somewhere unpleasant for people who pick up their dog's poo poo after them & just hang the stuff in a plastic bag from a tree branch. That's such imbecilic behaviour.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

It's on the same level as walking back to your parked car, finding a big dent in it, and a note under your wiper that says "sorry I hit your car, I'm just writing this because people are watching, bye".

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
dammit, still writing 1982 on all my cheques

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Looking forward to Irish Reunification in 2024! (according to the Star Trek TNG clip that wasn't aired in the UK... for some mysterious reason).

Happy new year everyone. :cheersbird: