Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
she swellin my beef til I'm off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

piss reclaimer is clogged from sand-trout induced beefswelling

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
A beefswelling is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Riot Bimbo posted:

piss reclaimer is clogged from sand-trout induced beefswelling

That was MY sand-trout, and now you have not only brought dishonor to yourself with theft, but have sullied it.

Ready your crysknife.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

band practice but instead of your mouthpiece getting swapped it's another dork's pocketrout

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Leto 2, looking at a sandtrout 'I could wear this like a suit of armor' :hmmyes:

Some rando sietch kid shouts over the dune 'YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO gently caress IT STUPID'

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Leto 2, looking at a sandtrout 'I could wear this like a suit of armor' :hmmyes:

Some rando sietch kid shouts over the dune 'YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO gently caress IT STUPID'

Genuine lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
We got 'slow projectiles' in both film adaptations, right? I'm not gonna go back and watch both to make sure but I do remember them being a thing.

In the Lynch film, someone (maybe Duncan?) is killed by a headshot with one and we see it bore through his shield.

In Villeneuve's adaptation, a bunch of Atreides ships are blown up by large projectiles that seem to slow down and similarly bore through the shield. I may be imagining but I seem to remember this happening to soldiers as well, and at least one character (maybe Duncan, or Gurney) manages to pull some off of themselves before they can get through the shields.

Am I totally losing my mind or was this in either movie? Was it a concept from the book as well?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

We got 'slow projectiles' in both film adaptations, right? I'm not gonna go back and watch both to make sure but I do remember them being a thing.

In the Lynch film, someone (maybe Duncan?) is killed by a headshot with one and we see it bore through his shield.

In Villeneuve's adaptation, a bunch of Atreides ships are blown up by large projectiles that seem to slow down and similarly bore through the shield. I may be imagining but I seem to remember this happening to soldiers as well, and at least one character (maybe Duncan, or Gurney) manages to pull some off of themselves before they can get through the shields.

Am I totally losing my mind or was this in either movie? Was it a concept from the book as well?

the dart that incapacitates yueh does this in the new film as well, and yeah iirc you're remembering right~

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Old (good) movie had drill bullets. They were pretty dumb and that's how Duncan died I think

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

Was it a concept from the book as well?

Yeah that's where they got it from.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Old (good) movie had drill bullets. They were pretty dumb and that's how Duncan died I think

Yeah and it was that terrible hand-rotoscoped shield effect, somehow simultaneously blurry and blocky, that made it impossible to tell what was going on. He looked like he was killed by a lag glitch in an FPS

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Momoa gets shot with one but manages to deflect it during the hallway fight I think. It’s a cool concept but they definitely make it seem like shields are kind of bullshit since they’re so easily defeated

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sword fights in space need a contrivance to be plausible and those are precious

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Really idk what that old pervert was thinking. We need to update the franchise for modern gun loving audiences imo, scrap the ridiculous shields and knives and just give everyone a pistol. Freemens could still carve it out of the worm tooth or whatever I don't give a gently caress

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

no

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

Really idk what that old pervert was thinking. We need to update the franchise for modern gun loving audiences imo, scrap the ridiculous shields and knives and just give everyone a pistol. Freemens could still carve it out of the worm tooth or whatever I don't give a gently caress
Fremen have maula pistols, and presumably they're incredibly useful out in the desert where you can't use a shield.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
bunch of fremen riding mighty shai hulud just going weapons free yosemite sam style with a maula pistol in each hand, gently caress your city, gently caress its walls

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I liked the new movie's hummingbird dart thingies.

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

kiimo posted:

The world is a sand pile

Bereft of rain
The Reverend Mother
Brought a box of pain

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fremen would be absolutely the jezail musket type, but going full cowboy with Dune also works

Hell it's basically already a western complete with a key part being learning to ride

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Ghost Leviathan posted:

a key part being learning to ride

[glances at thread title]

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
"This feudal demesne ain't big enough for the two of us"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With shields and swords you'd figure that combat would be a lot more grappling and draw cuts rather than stabbing and hacking attacks.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Arc Hammer posted:

With shields and swords you'd figure that combat would be a lot more grappling and draw cuts rather than stabbing and hacking attacks.

"Killing with the point lacks artistry."

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Spiked plate armor like the edgiest antihero defeats the fremen

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Zopotantor posted:

"Swelling with the tip lacks artistry."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

In A.BJ 2023

Spice War was beginning.

Emperor: What happen ?

Baron: Somebody set up us
the worm.

Baron: We get demand.

Emperor: What !

Baron: Main kanly go bad.

Emperor: It's you !!

Muad'Dib: How are you gentlemen !!
All your spice are belong
to us.
You are on the way to
destruction.

Emperor: What you say !!

Muad'Dib: You have no chance to
survive make your time.
HA HA HA HA....

Baron: Emperor !!

Emperor: Take off every sietch!!
You know what you doing.
Move sietch.
For great profit.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
:ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop::ibadpop:

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the worm storm.

Only edit I'd make

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

In A.BJ 2023

Spice War was beginning.

Emperor: What happen ?

the worm.

Baron: We get demand.

Emperor: What !

Baron: Main kanly go bad.

Emperor: It's you !!

Muad'Dib: How are you gentlemen !!
All your spice are belong
to us.
You are on the way to
destruction.

Emperor: What you say !!

Muad'Dib: You have no chance to
survive make your time.
HA HA HA HA....

Baron: Emperor !!

Emperor: Take off every sietch!!
You know what you doing.
Move sietch.
For great profit.

hell yeh

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Colonel Cancer posted:

Spiked plate armor like the edgiest antihero defeats the fremen

I liked the Villeneuve movie a lot. But now I'm kinda upset the sardaukar weren't all dressed up like Mad Max villains

e: in fact, gently caress it, Fury Road was a DUNC prequel

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Fremen have maula pistols, and presumably they're incredibly useful out in the desert where you can't use a shield.

How wasteful are these weapons used out in the desert? Spilling perfectly good water everywhere...

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Do you think fremen Santa leaves a lump of coal in your thigh pocket if you've been a bad naib?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Eau de MacGowan posted:

bunch of fremen riding mighty shai hulud just going weapons free yosemite sam style with a maula pistol in each hand, gently caress your city, gently caress its walls

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AdeptConcreteBanteng-mobile.mp4

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Do you think fremen Santa leaves a lump of coal in your thigh pocket if you've been a bad naib?

In the children's story, it is said that if you are naughty, when you are sleeping he will mess with your water reclamation system in the suit and switch out the water tube with the pee tube.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It takes a waterfat outlander to think that the "water tube" isn't already the pee tube

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
a wellington is a kind of boot
A boot suited to cold, damp conditions. But worse than useless in the desert.
I wonder if Yueh's first name is an authorly hint at the doctor's role in the story. A man perfectly suited to the problems the duke (!) expected to face, but useless for Dune, desert planet.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Beefswelling Wellington

edit: Wait no,
Beef Swellington

galagazombie fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 1, 2023

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Beef was #4 top harkonnen baby name for centuries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

When I read the book I imagined slowdarts as popping an umbrella form to slow by air resistance at the last second. I think visually the Dunc movie did great with the shields, kindof videogamey with red and blue but the audience gotta get it right away.