Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

12 was so fuckin cool during his old rocker phase. For some reason some people found it cringe but not me. I loved every minute of any scene where Capaldi had his guitar and those raybans on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really, really enjoyed 12 during his,"Grumpy old professor who basically teaches whatever the gently caress he wants to during his lectures" phase. That last season of Capaldi's was a ton of fun.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It would have been a fun episode if 12 taught something that humans shouldnt know by accident during a class, and how has to reverse or nullify it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Okay, so can someone explain The Day of the Doctor to me? Just saw it last night. The whole episode feels like a tremendous retcon of everything one understands going into the series if you started from the beginning of the reboot-- the weight of the war on the Doctor's shoulders, the unfathomable grief and guilt over the choice he had to make, and now it's not a thing anymore? If the War Doctor is a "forgotten" doctor, does that mean the Eighth Doctor (who I had understood as the one who fought in and ended the Time War) regenerated into the War Doctor, and then the Ninth after that? Wouldn't that make the Ninth the Tenth, and so on, and therefore mean the Doctor after the one Matt Smith plays will be the final possible regeneration? Something just isn't adding up for me here.

It just feels like everything has been turned upside down all for the sake of being able to have an interesting Doctor-focused episode. And I mean I did like that it was interesting, but it feels like the "rules" of the show have just been completely thrown out the window.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Framboise posted:

Okay, so can someone explain The Day of the Doctor to me? Just saw it last night. The whole episode feels like a tremendous retcon of everything one understands going into the series if you started from the beginning of the reboot-- the weight of the war on the Doctor's shoulders, the unfathomable grief and guilt over the choice he had to make, and now it's not a thing anymore? If the War Doctor is a "forgotten" doctor, does that mean the Eighth Doctor (who I had understood as the one who fought in and ended the Time War) regenerated into the War Doctor, and then the Ninth after that? Wouldn't that make the Ninth the Tenth, and so on, and therefore mean the Doctor after the one Matt Smith plays will be the final possible regeneration? Something just isn't adding up for me here.

It just feels like everything has been turned upside down all for the sake of being able to have an interesting Doctor-focused episode. And I mean I did like that it was interesting, but it feels like the "rules" of the show have just been completely thrown out the window.

There's also a mini episode! (Please bring McGann back)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

War Doctor is treated as an actual incarnation of the Doctor, and this will get explained later

But for the viewers War Doctor is the War Doctor, and Eccelston is 9, Tennant is 10, Smith is 11

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The destruction of Gallifrey isn't "undone", Gallifrey is spirited away from the moment of its destruction to parts unknown. All incarnations of the Doctor from points in his personal timeline prior to DotD will forget that this occured, and resume their lives assuming that Gallifrey was destroyed at their hand, because it was - that's a decision they still made. Multi-Doctor stories never stick in the memories of Emeritus Doctors.

The numbering of incarnations is, in fact, off by one. What that means in terms of regeneration limits is at that point unclear but does factor into Time of the Doctor, which is the final Eleven episode.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Framboise posted:

And there's the realization, when it all clicks :hmmyes:

The rules are subject to change, and usually it's done because it'd be interesting if it happened

To take a quote slightly out of context: "Good men don’t need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many."

The Doctor will usually follow some arbitrary ruleset to make it through a story, but sometimes things happen to or around him that cause those rules to bend or break, as seen throughout Eleven's run, like the whole Impossible Astronaut setup, or the Pandorica trap, which are some of the most fun uses of time travel in fiction I've ever seen

Or maybe the writers are all hacks :shrug:

Good news: if you're tired of it, it's not as present during Twelve's run

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Framboise posted:

In The Name Of The Doctor, the episode immediately before The Day Of The Doctor, the point is made that then name that he chose has meaning, he is THE DOCTOR and he fixes things.

The War Doctor rejected that name and was "The Warrior" instead, and he did terrible things up to and including the Destruction Of Gallifrey, or at least that's what he remembers, because the Older Doctors in a crossover always forget that it happened.

9 was newly regenerated, because he saw his face for the first time in Rose, so he couldn't have fought in the time war.

The prequel episode, The Night Of The Doctor, covers some of this too, but if you're up for a quick read there's a Target book adaptation of Time Of The Doctor by Moffat which greatly expands the story in a lot of ways.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In the audios too he insists that he not be called "The Doctor."

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

CommonShore posted:

In the audios too he insists that he not be called "The Doctor."

Which gets to be ridiculous within the first episode, but they did what they could with that bit I imagine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's a great joy to me that though he knew he would soon forget, the War Doctor is just so pleased/satisfied when he finally does regenerate. He "dies" knowing that in the end he did the right thing, the "Doctor" thing, and that everything was gonna be okay, even if it would take him another 3 lives to realize that.

:unsmith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Framboise posted:

If the War Doctor is a "forgotten" doctor, does that mean the Eighth Doctor (who I had understood as the one who fought in and ended the Time War) regenerated into the War Doctor, and then the Ninth after that? Wouldn't that make the Ninth the Tenth, and so on, and therefore mean the Doctor after the one Matt Smith plays will be the final possible regeneration? Something just isn't adding up for me here.

It's worse; at the point of the show you're in, there are actually two Tennant incarnations.

So the Eighth Doctor is currently the 8th, the War is 9th, Eccelston is 10th, Tennant is 11th until Journey's End Part 2 and then he's 12th, making Matt Smith the 13th.

BooDooBoo posted:

9 was newly regenerated, because he saw his face for the first time in Rose, so he couldn't have fought in the time war.

The current statement from the production crew is that this isn't the case.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hurt really sells that with his subtle, pained look right before returning to being all smiles with "but for now..."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

It's a great joy to me that though he knew he would soon forget, the War Doctor is just so pleased/satisfied when he finally does regenerate. He "dies" knowing that in the end he did the right thing, the "Doctor" thing, and that everything was gonna be okay, even if it would take him another 3 lives to realize that.

:unsmith:

Always good coming out of the other side of the dark life of the soul

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

God Day Of The Doctor was good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

God Day Of The Doctor was good.

"I didn't know when I was well off. All 12 of them."
"No sir...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e71KWwE5Fk

:hellyeah:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If the clip's posted I have to watch it. Those are the rules.

I've been working on a screenplay and there's a section in the climax that's shorthanded in my notes as just ALL THIRTEEN because past me knew present me would absolutely know what to do there.

Gods, that moment.

And I really do need to stress that aside from a gal I knew making us all watch The Christmas Invasion one year at a party (and me not really liking it because as introductions go, it sucked. The Doctor's barely in it), I had never seen any Doctor Who when I watched Day of the Doctor.

I then watched it nearly every single night for an entire year.

My old man had just been diagnosed with cancer and I needed something there was a lot of to binge in the background while I had sixteen browser tabs open and my phone out and was fully an entire fifth of bourbon deep trying in vain to keep myself from feeling the pain. I'd watch 3-4 episodes of Who, then Day of the Doctor. Always, always, always Day of the Doctor. It was exactly the uplifting bit of optimism I needed to get me through the single worst period of my life.

I know I'm the only one who wants this, but I really hope Moffat comes back once-in-a-while for funsies now that his buddy's back at the helm.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd be delighted if Moffat came back to write a story here and there. One of my few regrets re: the Moffat era was that RTD never got to just come back and JUST be a writer for the show. Though he did do that delightful 11th Doctor episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures, which if I remember right Moffat described as:

RTD: Do you mind if I write the 11th Doctor into a SJA story?
Moffat: Of course! Do whatever you like, I'm sure it'll be great!
RTD: The story is called The Death of the Doctor.
Moffat: Sounds great, can't wai.... wait, WHAT!?!

:allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That is just delightful.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

If the clip's posted I have to watch it. Those are the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeNZ-W9OiVw

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I'd be delighted if Moffat came back to write a story here and there. One of my few regrets re: the Moffat era was that RTD never got to just come back and JUST be a writer for the show. Though he did do that delightful 11th Doctor episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures, which if I remember right Moffat described as:

RTD: Do you mind if I write the 11th Doctor into a SJA story?
Moffat: Of course! Do whatever you like, I'm sure it'll be great!
RTD: The story is called The Death of the Doctor.
Moffat: Sounds great, can't wai.... wait, WHAT!?!

:allears:

RTD: :smug:

Also I've developed a Controversial Theory about 14: he's not the 14th Doctor, he's the Valeyard, and 15 has to come and defeat him at the end.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Astroman posted:

RTD: :smug:

Also I've developed a Controversial Theory about 14: he's not the 14th Doctor, he's the Valeyard, and 15 has to come and defeat him at the end.

I'd be fine with that, as long as they didn't dwell too much on the mythos, and just let it fly.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Maybe the reason Ten didn't want to regenerate was not wanting to wear those heavy robes

Although McCoy's looks very comfortable

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh yeah, I’d wander around the house in that. :allears:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Behold, the Bathrobe of Rassilon!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Narsham posted:

Behold, the Bathrobe of Rassilon!

Six absolutely took his from Omega's wardrobe

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

not wanting to wear those heavy robes

8: That was always an option :smug:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That strikes me as a great merch opportunity.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
At the stroke of midnight, this planet will be turned inside out!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

We’ve got new Doctor Who coming this year!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You say that like it's not 11 loving months away.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Infinitum posted:

What's that? An excuse to rewatch Doctor Who to fill the gaping void of The Infinite Hiatus? Don't mind if I do!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I once had to wait in real time (half of it without Internet!) for SIXTEEN years for new Doctor Who with only a single American co-production episode at the 1/3rd point to tide me over, so I'm sure I'll be able to handle a mere 11 months! :smug:

https://i.imgur.com/fnDyCZY.mp4

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Guess it's time to start another pilgrimage! Need to time it so as soon as I'm done the next episode comes out.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 1, 2023

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Jerusalem posted:

I once had to wait in real time (half of it without Internet!) for SIXTEEN years for new Doctor Who with only a single American co-production episode at the 1/3rd point to tide me over, so I'm sure I'll be able to handle a mere 11 months! :smug:

https://i.imgur.com/fnDyCZY.mp4

I am genuinely trying to imagine how my younger self would have reacted if I had been told in 89 that I would have to wait until 2005 for new Doctor Who.

I think I would have definitely preferred not to know.

Coward fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 1, 2023

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

Maybe the reason Ten didn't want to regenerate was not wanting to wear those heavy robes

Although McCoy's looks very comfortable

Once again, Sylvester shows up in his street clothes and they roll with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The wizened old crone who cackled at me and screeched that I'd never have my show back unless the extremely unlikely situation occurred where a Welsh Giant decided to cash in their clout from a lauded drama about the homosexual community to turn it into an international juggernaut.... clearly figured that by being very specific with her curses, the chances of them being broken was extremely unlikely.

Then it happened TWICE! :hellyeah:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish to wipe my memory of Doctor Who and get to fill this gap with a series of brand-new doctors who who will be my favourite for as long as I'm watching their run and one episode after

oh and to meet cassandra for the first time again

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The partially animated Shada was on PlutoTV this morning, which I’ve not actually seen before. It’s surprisingly good! They then followed it up with Logopolis, of which I watched the first episode. Nothing much happens, but it’s all oddly exciting!

It just makes me think of how much classic Who I’ve never actually watched, and how great it all is. I could definitely patch some huge gaps in the run up to November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The diamond logo back on DWM!

.https://twitter.com/DWMtweets/status/1610187019015147524?t=tJGyOLHkQ-3OLsagK4Mgpw&s=19