Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Were you on GVI3?

My two remaining watch 4s (one regular and one classic) have been off and factory reset since before the buggy GVI3 update and I've been wondering if it's been safe to set them up and update to the new November update.

It seems like if you never had GVI3, you should be safe, but no one knows for sure.

Part of me says I should update them anyways right now to see if they brick since Samsung is taking care of things right now for people affected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Were you on GVI3?

My two remaining watch 4s (one regular and one classic) have been off and factory reset since before the buggy GVI3 update and I've been wondering if it's been safe to set them up and update to the new November update.

It seems like if you never had GVI3, you should be safe, but no one knows for sure.

Part of me says I should update them anyways right now to see if they brick since Samsung is taking care of things right now for people affected.

I didn't check what version I was on before the update.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Since it's Black Friday/Cyber Monday I'm debating grabbing a smartwatch since I just upgraded my phone (to a Pixel). Finding myself a bit overwhelmed by the options, but fortunately I don't have any particular brand loyalty.

What's a reasonably affordable android smartwatch that can use apps? I do some disc golf so I'd like to be able to use UDisc and such. I'm in Canada so I get the joy of adding about 30% to any of the prices.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Frush posted:

Since it's Black Friday/Cyber Monday I'm debating grabbing a smartwatch since I just upgraded my phone (to a Pixel). Finding myself a bit overwhelmed by the options, but fortunately I don't have any particular brand loyalty.

What's a reasonably affordable android smartwatch that can use apps? I do some disc golf so I'd like to be able to use UDisc and such. I'm in Canada so I get the joy of adding about 30% to any of the prices.

I have a couple Mobvoi Ticwatches, and I just checked and my E3 would run UDisc, apparently. It shows up as installable in Google Play, at least. The E3 is running Wear OS 2.0 but is supposed to get updated to Wear OS 3.0 at some point.

Here is the Canadian page for it:

https://www.mobvoi.com/ca/pages/ticwatche3

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Thanks for the recommendation! I was kind of surprised how many players are in the space now. Wasn't expecting to see Fossil, honestly. Garmin makes sense to be in the space. It's a bit of a strange niche still.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My first foray into smartwatches was a refurb Ticwatch E2, and it sold me on the concept well enough to upgrade to the E3. I have my share of gripes about the thing, especially the software (can't they hire a native English speaker to do internationalization?), but the price is hard to beat considering the features you get.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I went and upgraded up phone the other day and ended up walking out with not just a new phone, but a new Galaxy Watch 4. (Black Friday discount plus a buy 1, get 1 on smart watches.)

So I already own a Inspire 2 Fitbit, the basic one, and I want to get the same functionality out of my my new watch that my Fitbit has. Mainly Steps counted and calories burned.

Also, might be unrelated to this thread but I do use the Fitbit app's food tracker to track my food. Are there any recommendations for apps that do the same thing?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I've used MyNetDiary calorie counter in the past and I thought it a well designed app and pretty functional.

Unfortunately I am really bad at committing to a diet.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BigRed0427 posted:

So I went and upgraded up phone the other day and ended up walking out with not just a new phone, but a new Galaxy Watch 4. (Black Friday discount plus a buy 1, get 1 on smart watches.)

So I already own a Inspire 2 Fitbit, the basic one, and I want to get the same functionality out of my my new watch that my Fitbit has. Mainly Steps counted and calories burned.

Also, might be unrelated to this thread but I do use the Fitbit app's food tracker to track my food. Are there any recommendations for apps that do the same thing?

It seems like the world has moved to subscription services for this, I haven't used it in a bit but lose it had a decent free tier: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fitnow.loseit&&pli=1

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Does anyone have an alarm app that syncs between the pixel watch and a pixel phone? My Fossil gen 5 did and I kind of miss being able to shut off an alarm if I left my phone in the other room

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a significant difference between the Samsung Watch 4, 4 Classic, 5, and 5 Pro? I mean other than the obvious size and lack of bezel. The 4 series is the only one I can get without throwing good money after the vouchers.

I have some vouchers expiring at the end of the year and apparently these things count as a "health device" so I can spend my tax-free funny money on it. I've never really wanted one but it's better than letting them expire for nothing and it seems like one of the more useful choices I have.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 6, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Internally, they are all the same aside from the new sensor arrangement on the 5 which hasn't proved to have any real advantages yet.

The 5 series across the board has larger batteries than the corresponding 4 series of the same size and the 5 Pro has the largest battery that you can get on WearOS (it's easily a 2-3 day watch with AoD on). Both 5 watches also have sapphire glass which should be more durable. The 5 Pro is also titanium instead of stainless steel like the Watch 4 Classic (all the others are aluminum.) This actually makes the Watch 5 Pro lighter than the Watch 4 Classic. The 5 series also charges faster.

The are all going to give pretty much the same experience while using it, but the 5 will give a quality of life boost with the larger battery and faster charging (more so with the giant battery on the Pro.)

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I bought a 4 Classic (42mm) and the battery life is not fantastic (~24h), but feature wise and looks wise it's great and very much the same as the others. I paid $150 and would've had to pay ~$80 to upgrade to a 5 and $230 to a 5 Pro, so those weren't worth it at all. Charging/glass durability aren't that important to me, especially glass durability when the 4 classic has a big bezel protecting the glass.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cool, thanks! Good to hear that they're mostly similar in terms of functionality. I went to check prices again because $150 is amazing and of course the store where you can pay with the vouchers is at least $100 more than a normal gadget shop. gently caress. Now I'll have to think twice if I want to waste $100 or if I can find a different way to spend the vouchers.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there any effective way to turn off all health tracking and junk on the new Samsung watches?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

codo27 posted:

Is there any effective way to turn off all health tracking and junk on the new Samsung watches?

Put a tape over the sensors

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Went to a brick and mortar store and seems like the Watch 4 Classic isn't too ridiculously big for my skinny wrist. Think I'll just go with that for the bigger battery (and bezel) :shrug:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

With the Pixel Watch, do you need FitBit Premium for the heart rate to show up in the fitbit app on your phone?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just received the Watch 4 Classic. The size is pretty reasonable though I think it could use a shorter strap.

One thing I wanted out of it was to have an overview of the day's meeting on the watch, an I checked in advance that there were some options for this, for example the "My Day" (IIRC) face:

Buuut it's nowhere to be found, does anyone know WTF's happening? Is there another one that works like this?

E: and another thing. Is there any way to make the two buttons start/reset a stopwatch when it's already on the home view? That's something I use surprisingly frequently on my digital Casio to keep track of cooking times and what not.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 21, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

How is the experience of a Galaxy Watch 5 on a Pixel? I got gifted one for Christmas and I haven't opened it yet or really read up on it, but I'd appreciate to hear what other people think.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

How is the experience of a Galaxy Watch 5 on a Pixel? I got gifted one for Christmas and I haven't opened it yet or really read up on it, but I'd appreciate to hear what other people think.

Pretty good. You might need a bit of set up to synchronize Samsung Health and Google fit if that's important to you. A few minor features don't work oob on the pixel but that can be fixed by sideloading a different version of the APK. I just never bothered with that because the experience is really good already

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Same experience as above. GWatch5 Pro and Pixel 6 Pro.

My only wish is for the Stealth 360 face to come back and I'll be happy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You basically lose the ECG functionality that you can restore by sideloading an app. You also don't have the ability to sync DnD states (which personally I don't care about because I usually want my watch to buz when my phone is in DND). That's it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I have a Galaxy watch 5 and pixel 7 pro and love it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For further context.

I have, connected to my Pixel 7 Pro right now, Galaxy Watch 5 Pro, Pixel Watch, and Fossil Gen 6. I don't have to do anything special to switch between them, just pickup and go (aside from switching between my Charge 5 and Pixel Watch, but that's a fitbit issue.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

From a little research it looks like I would lose some things I do like if I go to the Galaxy, like being able to control the camera on my phone from my watch.

The gift was given with the explicit understanding I might need to exchange it, so I'm free to return it. I'm kind of thinking Fossil Gen 6 or Pixel Watch would suit my needs better.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

CaptainSarcastic posted:

From a little research it looks like I would lose some things I do like if I go to the Galaxy, like being able to control the camera on my phone from my watch.

The gift was given with the explicit understanding I might need to exchange it, so I'm free to return it. I'm kind of thinking Fossil Gen 6 or Pixel Watch would suit my needs better.

The Google Camera app works just fine on a Galaxy watch.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

The Google Camera app works just fine on a Galaxy watch.

I read a review that said it only worked if you had a Samsung phone.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I read a review that said it only worked if you had a Samsung phone.

That might be the Samsung camera connector but I just tried it with my gw4 and pixel 7 and could definitely snap a remote photo from the watch

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I use the camera on my p6 pro with my watch 4 just fine.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

couldcareless posted:

I use the camera on my p6 pro with my watch 4 just fine.

:same:
I've used that feature on all my watches and phones since Pixel 2 and Moto 360/2 and the watch 4 works exactly the same, except they added a feature to switch from photo to video.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
So I've just connected a new Galaxy Watch 4 classic to my Pixel 7. I've got an existing Fitbit aria scale syncing with Fitbit.

What fitness tracker apps and syncing shenanigans are required to achieve best practice in getting this data into a single place? I probably should start counting calorie intake again as well.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

That might be the Samsung camera connector but I just tried it with my gw4 and pixel 7 and could definitely snap a remote photo from the watch

Do you get the video like you're looking through a viewfinder or whatever?

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do you get the video like you're looking through a viewfinder or whatever?

Yep, I didn't realize this was a thing until today, so thanks for mentioning it!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Can I get alerts and reply to texts to third-party apps like on WearOS 2? One of the main uses I have for my smartwatch is being able to see and if necessary respond to texts, both from Messages and a couples app called Between.

And does Google Pay work if you have a Pixel instead of a Samsung?

And I use the media controls for VLC on my current watch - I'm assuming that should still work?

Google Apps like Keep work normal?

Sorry to keep flooding, but I know it's supposed to be best in class but I got worried about my experience being limited because I don't have a Samsung phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Iron_Chef posted:

What fitness tracker apps and syncing shenanigans are required to achieve best practice in getting this data into a single place? I probably should start counting calorie intake again as well.

Right now, the best you can really do is use health connect and plunk them both into Fit. Neither Samsung Health nor Fitbit supporting writing of any significant fitness data in their stores, but they output it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can I get alerts and reply to texts to third-party apps like on WearOS 2? One of the main uses I have for my smartwatch is being able to see and if necessary respond to texts, both from Messages and a couples app called Between.

And does Google Pay work if you have a Pixel instead of a Samsung?

And I use the media controls for VLC on my current watch - I'm assuming that should still work?

Google Apps like Keep work normal?

Sorry to keep flooding, but I know it's supposed to be best in class but I got worried about my experience being limited because I don't have a Samsung phone.

All wearOS apps work the same way they work on the Galaxy Watches, so if the app supported reply in WearOS 2, it would support reply here too.

Yes, I use Google Wallet exclusively and I have it bound to double tap of the top button.

Media controls work like normal.

All google apps work like normal.

It's a WearOS watch first and foremost, it's just skinned in OneUI and you'll have to change some defaults. You can even use Gboard on it. I go back and forth between my Watch 5 Pro and my Pixel watch and I use them exactly the same way with the same apps (aside from fitness tracking.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Right now, the best you can really do is use health connect and plunk them both into Fit. Neither Samsung Health nor Fitbit supporting writing of any significant fitness data in their stores, but they output it.

All wearOS apps work the same way they work on the Galaxy Watches, so if the app supported reply in WearOS 2, it would support reply here too.

Yes, I use Google Wallet exclusively and I have it bound to double tap of the top button.

Media controls work like normal.

All google apps work like normal.

It's a WearOS watch first and foremost, it's just skinned in OneUI and you'll have to change some defaults. You can even use Gboard on it. I go back and forth between my Watch 5 Pro and my Pixel watch and I use them exactly the same way with the same apps (aside from fitness tracking.)

Thank you for the feedback - maybe I will give the Galaxy Watch 5 a try. I don't want to lose functionality, but it would be so nice to have proper internationalization and feel less sketchy about using some of the health apps.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, I've been using the Galaxy Watch 5 for a few days now and I'm really liking it. I haven't had time to really dig into it yet, but compared to my Ticwatch the experience is way smoother and less intrusive. I'm actually making some light use of the health sensors because it makes it so easy to do so. Battery life is seeming impressive so far, too. I did change the band to a plain black leather band, although even the stock band wasn't bad - I just am not a fan of silicone watchbands. I should have more time to play with it over the next week or so, but so far it's great.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I've been enjoying my Pixel Watch so far but one thing that bugs me: the stock watch faces (or specifically the colors). I think it's a "material you" thing, but gently caress they're all so ugly to me.

Now, there's a billion 3rd party watch faces out there, but trouble is - I use AOD, and unless the face was built with Jetpack (and it seems like most aren't) the AOD setting means the screen stays on for 15 minutes, then turns off.

Any ideas as to how to filter/search for better faces that actually work properly on this watch? I found a solid digital one but have yet to find even one attractive (or otherwise) analog face built on Jetpack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I use this one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.benoitletondor.pixelminimalwatchface