Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Do Exorcists or Steel Confessors for that sweet inter-departmental power struggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

War and Pieces posted:

Do Exorcists or Steel Confessors for that sweet inter-departmental power struggle

Steel Confessors seem really wacky. Wish I could find a better pic of one for color reference but I really gently caress with their lore.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Got a late start in 2022, in fact I haven't really painted anything in the past 2 years until this December when I decided to dust off my Warhammer Quest Silver Tower box and give it a try.

Here's what I've gotten done so far.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

arsenicCatnip posted:

Steel Confessors seem really wacky. Wish I could find a better pic of one for color reference but I really gently caress with their lore.

I wonder what their recruitment is like? I'm imagining the aspirants have to win a John Henry battle against a big servitor

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Dark Krakens (I am biased)

Bringers of Judgment

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like the filthy floor inside of it. Idk anything about warhammer is there some story/lore to that or just a stylistic choice? Either way it looks cool imo.

Now that the holidays are winding down I started up sculpt #2 tonight. I think this one is going to be a rat archer standing over a small cave with some sort of creature in it ready to attack. I think I'm gonna stick with the fantasy woodland creature theme cause it's fun and can make small things at 1:1 scale.

Couldn't really decide if I was going to make him cute or gnarly looking and sort of just landed on normal...I think it's coming along good so far though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

veni veni veni posted:

I like the filthy floor inside of it. Idk anything about warhammer is there some story/lore to that or just a stylistic choice? Either way it looks cool imo.

Stylistic choice basically. It's a troop transport and given the snow theme of the army, I decided to make it look like people have been stomping around in it with some snow covered boots.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

arsenicCatnip posted:

Any suggestions?

Why not the most perfect and definitely descended from Rogal Dorn chapter of Primaris marines?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Why not the most perfect and definitely descended from Rogal Dorn chapter of Primaris marines?

Um,

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is the joke that they are EC stock ?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Is the joke that they are EC stock ?

It says Rogal Dorn right there. :colbert:

If you don't like painting white though, what about these loyalist fanatics, constantly searching for enlightenment?

They're descended from the Salamanders.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
When Cawl made the Primaris marines he had access to the genomes of all 20 primarchs and Guilliman shook his finger at him and said only use Loyalist genes so it's more or less implied that some Primaris marines are of dubious provenance.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Interesting! I think that’s actually kind of cool

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Interesting! I think that’s actually kind of cool

The last of the Extremely Loyalist Genestock Don't Look Too Closely chapters are the Black Vipers, an extremely mysterious and secretive group with serpent iconography.

Lexicanum posted:

The Chapter was among those Salamanders Successor Chapters that were created by Archmagos Dominus Cawl, during the Ultima Founding. Cawl did so without informing the Salamanders and when they learned of this, they began making contact with their Successors Chapters. However, the Salamanders accidentally learned of the Black Vipers many years after they discovered the existence of their other Successors. Like they did with the others, the Salamanders sent out one of their Chaplains, to teach the Black Vipers of the Promethean Cult. However their chosen Chaplain, Sur K'gosi, disappeared without a trace before reaching them and the Black Vipers have not learned of the Cult's teachings. As a Chapter, they appear to claim no world for their own, and spurn contact with allies on the rare occasion the Chapter is seen at war. Wherever the Black Vipers has been seen, though, agents of Archmagos Dominus Cawl have never been far away.

:magemage:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
My favorite thing in this thread is the "this is what I did this year" mega-dumps at the end of December. Seeing how people evolved (especially new painters) and the themes they chose.

Here's my own favs!

(I also made a teeny youtube channel that basically my mom and my friends watch, but still, I worked hard at it... I'm proud of it here)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I think I voted for you in the December OPR contest - nice job!

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

oh man I just realized I haven't actually posted any of my minis in here haha, lemme post some of my Minotaurs

Apologies for the state of my Warhammer/Prop shelf, I don't really have anywhere in my room to take clean photos rn. Should probably set up a lightbox or something.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

arsenicCatnip posted:

oh man I just realized I haven't actually posted any of my minis in here haha, lemme post some of my Minotaurs

Apologies for the state of my Warhammer/Prop shelf, I don't really have anywhere in my room to take clean photos rn. Should probably set up a lightbox or something.

Here's a guide to taking better pictures with a limited setup that I used. Might not be able to do all of it but anything can help!

https://youtu.be/FpHYU7O48as

Toebone posted:

I think I voted for you in the December OPR contest - nice job!

Aww thanks!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Looking for some color advice on these guys. The Termagant one on the left is mostly done but I haven't been able to make a decision on the place with the arrows. The arrow on the left is already colored in as desired, it's a fleshy/muscle-y vent thing that is a pretty big theme in the Tyranid army. The weapons have a lot of the same vent things, being separate organisms grafted on to the host body. The right arrow is pointing to another vent on the weapon that I can't figure out a good color for. The image on the right is another example of the vent things and how they're used a lot on Tyranids. I've been painting the weapons red to make a very sharp distinction, I just can't figure out what color the fleshy vent thing should be on the weapons. The Tyranid Warrior itself already has the vents on the body colored in, but at the scale of a Tyranid Warrior, and with them being a much prominent unit than 30-40 Termagants, I don't think I can fudge it by just going over the entire weapon with a black base coat and then going back with another color over the vents. I need to choose a good color and do it right from the start. Can the same purple flesh color work inside a bunch of red on the weapons to tie it together as one model? Or is there a better color to really highlight the difference between them as organisms?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'd follow a plasma glow tutorial to set the weapon apart, but then turn around and have the plasma-glow infiltrating the gaunt's forearm fleshy bits to show that the weapon is integrating itself into the Gaunt.

Bad MS Paint mockup:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Glowy plasma effect, I can dig that. I'll have to put one Termagant on the sacrificial paint altar and see how that works out. Need to get a good, fluorescent shade for that. Will report back in, I dunno, two weeks or so probably? Lack of free time sucks. Would fluorescent blue be the best choice for that or green?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was dragging my feet on my 2022 year in review cause I painted nowhere near as much was I wanted to but maybe seeing my stuff in one spot will motivate me to make more time.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Last Xpost (from me) this year via the HH space

Major Spag posted:

Happy new years

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
My last mini of the year is my first Battletech. It also single-handedly doubled the amount of edge highlighting I did this past year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Crossposting from the scale thread, but a majority of my months this year had minis content too.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been speed painting my way through the first campaign of Aeon Trespass Odyssey and I'm particularly happy how this guy turned out.

Just have the enormous pyramid monster left, that's going to take me awhile...

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Lumpy posted:

My last mini of the year is my first Battletech. It also single-handedly doubled the amount of edge highlighting I did this past year.

Looking good! Left leg (its left) especially nice work.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Lumpy posted:

This is the cutest mech I have ever seen.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
X-posting from the 40k thread. My last models of 2022

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Spanish Manlove posted:

Low effort paint jobs mean low effort pictures. Grinding through my pile of shame to finish halfway completed units

I got a flash of inspiration for a red and green Eldar army with snow covered bases

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Figured I'd do one of those fancy artist wrapups

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Treated myself to a lil commission

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

I took up painting again in May of this year.

This is my second mini after starting again:

A month later:

Three months later:

Six months later:

It's really odd how it doesn't feel like you're making progress and then you go back to stuff that really wasn't that long ago and the difference is... that.

I had previously done some painting in late high school/early college, when I had no idea what a wash even was and couldn't afford more than a few battlemechs and D&D minis, and a bit of Testor's paint, and then a little bit again after the bones 1 KS, but it fell by the wayside with my health. I finally managed to lose weight and get some surgery, and I started again about a month after that first surgery, and since then have put in an average of at least 2 hours a day. THere were some gaps right after the second surgery and during GenCon, but other than that, two hours a day, minimum.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

First minis of 2023, though half of them were done before New Year's. Last two mechs for my first full company of Battletech minis... just in time for 8 more to show up on deep sale and prevent me from celebrating one game's backlog cleared. Still needs varnish, but I'll put up a family photo once they're varnished and cured in the Battletech thread.

Dumping all the extra thoughts in spoilers (before someone tells me to go to e/n instead):
Continuing to hate every second of painting and wishing there was a way around it. These two are visibly, significantly worse than the first batch of four mechs I did, and that was just a few months ago; they're still miles worse than my best work and they're mostly "done" because I gave up on continually loving up the same parts over and over. I have plenty of Heresy poo poo that's in exactly the same place. I have no idea why I keep getting worse instead of getting better.
Still fighting with my tools constantly. Raphael 8404 can't hold a point any more and I'm not enthusiastic about having to replace it again if I want to do any fine detail; the spread of the point is too wide to even fill in a space marine's eye without spillover that goes at least the width of the eye over onto the cheek. Let alone trying to actually do any freehand, such as the... 40? pending models to do that on. I've done everything right for taking care of it that I've been told; cleaned regularly with Master's brush soap, metallics have their own brush so this one never touches them, as gentle as I can be with the brush... no dice. Replaced my wet palette with a Redgrass Everlasting Palette by thread suggestion, and if anything the "paint immediately watering down to uselessness just by being on the palette" issue is far worse; paints are completely unusable within 20-30 minutes. Using their hydration membrane, their paper, and following their instructions to the letter; there's no reason I can figure out why it's giving me so much trouble, but it made edge highlighting hell. Nothing like trying to highlight with a wash because the only alternative is to highlight with completely unthinned paints.
I'm still trying to find a way to make things work, but holy poo poo it shouldn't be this hard. At least hand tremors haven't been as big of an issue recently; present, but not as bad.
Thank you to the folks that have tried to help so far, even if you may be working with a lost cause.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If you're not enjoying the process, can I ask what paint brand(s) you're using? I'm blind, there're Citadel contrast pots right there.

Can I ask what primer you're using? That could also make a difference. Some primers are too slick for Contrast which can result in the paint pooling away from it completely which can cause holes to open up that expose the primer benieth. I've had that issue with some Army Painter spray primers and Contrast paints, and I'm sure other primers have the same issue.

It might not be the brush, it sounds like the paint itself is doing something you're not enjoying but not experienced enough to articulate: like drying too slowly or too quickly, and climbing up into the ferule of your brush in ways you're not expecting and ruining them.

Contrast paints and washes love climbing up into small gaps which means they'll gleefully pull themselves into the ferule of your brushes and ruin them. I personally prefer painting contrast with a damp brush by soaking my brush in water for a good 5-10 seconds (so all the bristles get wet) and then using a paper towel to squeeze out the moisture. The dampness should stay in the core of the brush and help keep the paint from being wicked up into the ferule.

Contrast paints can also have control issues. They love to pull themselves into places you may not want them.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 1, 2023

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you're not enjoying the process, can I ask what paint brand(s) you're using? I'm blind, there're Citadel contrast pots right there.

Can I ask what primer you're using? That could also make a difference. Some primers are too slick for Contrast which can result in the paint pooling away from it completely which can cause holes to open up that expose the primer benieth. I've had that issue with some Army Painter spray primers and Contrast paints, and I'm sure other primers have the same issue.

It might not be the brush, it sounds like the paint itself is doing something you're not enjoying but not experienced enough to articulate: like drying too slowly or too quickly, and climbing up into the ferule of your brush in ways you're not expecting and ruining them.

Contrast paints and washes love climbing up into small gaps which means they'll gleefully pull themselves into the ferule of your brushes and ruin them. I personally prefer painting contrast with a damp brush by soaking my brush in water for a good 5-10 seconds (so all the bristles get wet) and then using a paper towel to squeeze out the moisture. The dampness should stay in the core of the brush and help keep the paint from being wicked up into the ferule.

Contrast paints can also have control issues. They love to pull themselves into places you may not want them.

I haven't actually touched any of the Contrast pots I have outside of doing plasma effects (in blue and red). I mostly use Citadel but replace with Vallejo or ProAcryl whenever I need a replacement for a given paint. The mechs here used (in roughly the order I remember them):
* Citadel: Incubi Darkness, Kabalite Green, Sybarite Green; Mephiston Red (and the three highlight oranges from it I can't remember the name of); Eshin Grey; Naggaroth Night, Genestealer Purple; Nuln Oil Gloss and Reikland Fleshshade
* Vallejo Model: German Grey, Flat Yellow (on the base)
* Vallejo Metal: Exhaust Manifold

Still haven't found a replacement for Nuln Oil Gloss. One day.

Primer is Rustoleum Camo Black, which I've used consistently since ~2015 with no issues until the last few months.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
This is what im going for with my preceptor.

Im shying away from using brass colours or golds on this guy because of the heavy use of retributor on my warglaives. But in doing so, i think i shot myself in the foot.

Im using runefang steel for rivets and pipe work, but im not sure what colour to use to make the trim stand out from bare metals, like for the upper arm

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

This was my first mini, painted around May of 2022

And I wrapped up the year with this Chosen, waiting on some new brushes and a vortex mixer before I finish his squad.

A couple highlights from the year for me are my MoP and Abby

This and the main 40k thread were very helpful in my journey through this hobby that I now spend most of my free time either doing or thinking about doing, so happy new year to you all and good luck on your projects this year.

Bonus: First model of 2023. A Space Marine Scout my buddy printed for me for a Wrath and Glory campaign we're running at work, first time painting something that isn't a pink spikey boy and it strangely ended up feeling way harder to paint than a CSM

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 2, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Decided to do this mini the gf got for me a while back.

Of course as I'm looking up who to tag for the model creator, I find out the guy who works for Artisan Guild is a maga chud, welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Question:
I'm working on a random building/turret type thing that is about two stories tall in game, and the majority of it is going to be made out of styrofoam.

What do I need to do to prepare this material? Is my option mainly modge podge? If so, that sucks.