Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Happy new year! I am still up from last night’s house party, waiting for my dog to finish her breakfast so I can go to bed.

I’m sure politics will be a shitshow this year but I hope for a good 2023 for all posters here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

end of year/start of year frosty farm image dump action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ntNzBeHAU

ooo look a video what I did done do with lots of deer and badgers and foxes and birds too

happy new year comrades

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Of all the photos for my phone to pick as the front of my "year in review" it picked that one.

It's a sign :pray:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Happy NYs this thread!

Popechat: we saw Pope Benny in St Peters Square, it was boiling hot and we weren't sure if it was appropriate/legal to be working through a big bag of oranges, but the ancient Italian nanna we gave one too was very grateful so that was nice. Sometime later I met a Catholic dude and told him we'd seen the Pope speak and he was legit awed like we'd had backstage passes to bowie or something.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Peter Hitchens has a moment of New Year clarity… (even if it is just because he’s a Putin shill)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning exactly, the UK has become far more insular over the last decade, it's just that all the governance has been deliberately making things worse.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Happy New Year, gently caress the Tories inshallah

Fun fact: The Spice Girls ~ Wannabe is now as close to the Moon landing as it is to this year

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning exactly, the UK has become far more insular over the last decade, it's just that all the governance has been deliberately making things worse.
He seems to go off about Iraq, Afghanistan, and the Suez Crisis (?) before claiming that this has something to do with youths hanging around on street corners.

Typical woke left dragging up things that the British Empire did decades ago and demanding that the government solves all his problems.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

smellmycheese posted:

Peter Hitchens has a moment of New Year clarity… (even if it is just because he’s a Putin shill)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bring back national service and send them to sort out all those backwards foreigners, two for one

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's because the country insists on referring to itself as the Ukraine, a pronoun dangerously close to they/them, so beloved of the blue haired, avocado munching antifa of the woke left.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No it doesn’t, the the is bad and shouldn’t be used in polite conversation because it implies that it’s a region of something larger instead of being it’s own place.

They’ve been going out of their way to tell people to knock it off for years but nobody really listened until Putin decided to really press the issue.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Rarity posted:

Fun fact: The Spice Girls ~ Wannabe is now as close to the Moon landing as it is to this year

Ha, I get it, it's one of those obviously fake facts made to make people feel old, when actually the real number is, uh, let me just look this up -

oh no

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Same time difference between my birth and now as between my birth and J J Thompson discovery of the electron & UK signing treaty with Emperor Menelik II of Abyssinia and the synthesis of asprin.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Now and the start of the First World War:toot:

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Guavanaut posted:

the Suez Crisis (?)

All journalists know are aware of the Suez Crisis, because of the shibboleth "worst foreign policy disaster since Suez"

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

History Comes Inside! posted:

No it doesn’t, the the is bad and shouldn’t be used in polite conversation because it implies that it’s a region of something larger instead of being it’s own place.

The the is bad because people don't like it, but that suggested reason is bogus. It's the United Kingdom, the United States, the Philippines, etc, for contingent historical and linguistic reasons which imply nothing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
die Bundesrepublik Deutschland die

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

The the is bad because people don't like it, but that suggested reason is bogus. It's the United Kingdom, the United States, the Philippines, etc, for contingent historical and linguistic reasons which imply nothing.

Ukraine means Borderland. I'd be upset if people kept calling my country, which sits next to an imperial power, "the Borderland".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially if it meant having John Lamont as an MP.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Dabir posted:

Ukraine means Borderland. I'd be upset if people kept calling my country, which sits next to an imperial power, "the Borderland".

The bordering implication comes entirely from the Ukraine bit, not from the definite article, which doesn't change that meaning at all. But
I hope for your sake you're not from the Netherlands.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

All of us are from the Netherlands in that sense :geert:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mebh posted:

Its got a fantastic core loop and is nothing like a dragon quest game, but uses all the art/sfx.

Go out into big open world, collect treasure and tame monsters. Return to base and upgrade. Repeat.

You then get bigger and bigger monsters with a staggering amount of depth and go gently caress poo poo up.

You play a healing, debuffing, buffing support class with a slingshot and a party of tanks and healers and it's totally eaten my entire holiday and it's great.

Cool, thanks, sounds like just what I need to keep me occupied until Tears of the Kingdom comes out!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Oh dear me posted:

The bordering implication comes entirely from the Ukraine bit, not from the definite article, which doesn't change that meaning at all. But
I hope for your sake you're not from the Netherlands.

It's the Netherlands because there's more than one. It's not the Ukraine, but it would be the Ukraines but it isn't.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's going to be a great year for Britain. *two thumbs up*

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's because the country insists on referring to itself as the Ukraine, a pronoun dangerously close to they/them, so beloved of the blue haired, avocado munching antifa of the woke left.

No it bloody well doesn't.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bobby Deluxe posted:

banning the the is a campaign i can get behind

some folk here use yon/thon and i'm ready for a change in my life

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

banning the the is a campaign i can get behind

some folk here use yon/thon and i'm ready for a change in my life

I've always been quite fond of The The tbh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5hInz4EvTM

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/pastoralexlove/status/1609334723259539456?s=46&t=cnPlzzypN0_Vc4Rz8vrUIQ

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Would anyone happen to have that 4chan greentext thingy about the young English suburban guy? It's about his daily routine and has the aside about his mate constantly doing tap-ins on Fifa?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

It's the Netherlands because there's more than one. It's not the Ukraine, but it would be the Ukraines but it isn't.

Plurals get a the, but so do eg names starting with adjectives or derived from geographical features, so the Netherlands is really entitled to three.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oh dear me posted:

Plurals get a the, but so do eg names starting with adjectives or derived from geographical features, so the Netherlands is really entitled to three.

There's one at the start and one in the middle so they're nearly there

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I saw estimates that the Tories have around 170,000 members while Labour have about 450,000. Do you get much out of being a member, besides voting in leadership contests?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Skulker posted:

Would anyone happen to have that 4chan greentext thingy about the young English suburban guy? It's about his daily routine and has the aside about his mate constantly doing tap-ins on Fifa?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

And there's already a better song with the same title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwfNPtnPl4E

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I saw estimates that the Tories have around 170,000 members while Labour have about 450,000. Do you get much out of being a member, besides voting in leadership contests?
Last I saw they had 450k members but have been haemorraging them since Keith took over. Which is good obviously because all 450k of them were antisemitic populists.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You get to go to constituency labour party meetings, if you really feel like it. These are exactly as exciting as they sound as a rule. You also get to vote for who your next candidate for MP is going to be (unless they aren't being re-selected automatically or Keith decides you aren't allowed to).

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

don’t doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

feedmegin posted:

You get to go to constituency labour party meetings, if you really feel like it. These are exactly as exciting as they sound as a rule. You also get to vote for who your next candidate for MP is going to be (unless they aren't being re-selected automatically or Keith decides you aren't allowed to).

Yeah, that sounds like it would appeal to a very specific sort of person.