Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Triangle sounds good I prefer when my SRPGs are mostly VNs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
basically if you give me people in period/fantasy costumes but have them be politically scheming and plotting behind the scenes in florid dialogue I am all for that poo poo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I feel like people would have been more on board with TriStrat's story from the start if everyone in the English dub was hamming it up as much as Dragan

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

I played the demo and there were 3 fights totalling like 25 mins of play intercut with 3 hours of cutscenes and even the side missions were just cutscenes with no fighting.
I will play the game when theres a pc mod to strip out the story and just do the cool combat maps.

same but for elden ring, just give me the dialog and skip the combat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i ended up liking the dialogue bits (including the whole branching plot system) even more than the combat but i am a total sucker for the vibe Tristrat was going for

I need the narrative in a game to be the whole game. If its half the game and the other half is more engaging to me i want to skip it. Just my way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Foul Fowl posted:

i think there was a similar feeling around the original dark souls - this game's so popular, everyone's gonna try and copy it. then it turns out that making one of those games actually good and fun is extremely difficult and i don't think adding an enormously detailed and wonderful open world on top of it makes it any easier. it also took fromsoft five iterations of basically the same game to get to elden ring.

it might finally drive home the idea to major game devs that gamers can be trusted to figure things out for themselves. though given how many devs had meltdowns about elden ring (and metroid dread which has a similar ethos despite being a completely different game) maybe not.

i think Souls influence is more detectible in the indie scene than major releases. 2011-ish was weird, there was this vibe going around that the future of gaming was casual and mobile games, so bringing "player-hostile" back into the vocabulary was a big deal

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

This thread has convinced me to buy Inscryption, Pentiment, and Citizen Sleeper, so good job thread!

Also I have a suspicion that the top 5 games are all going to be ones that I didn't play, which will make me sad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I feel like people would have been more on board with TriStrat's story from the start if everyone in the English dub was hamming it up as much as Dragan

dub...... classic mistake

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

:bustem:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Feels Villeneuve posted:

You can tell the JP dub is better because General Avlora sounds more attractive and powerful.
Benedict sounds sexier too in JP but I am a lesbian so I don't care about that, just mentioning it for da guy likers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In fairness i think most reviews mentioned the English dub of tristrat being kind of dull, though I don't think it's as bad as like, what I've heard of the Xenoblade 2 dub

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Foul Fowl posted:

i think there was a similar feeling around the original dark souls - this game's so popular, everyone's gonna try and copy it. then it turns out that making one of those games actually good and fun is extremely difficult and i don't think adding an enormously detailed and wonderful open world on top of it makes it any easier. it also took fromsoft five iterations of basically the same game to get to elden ring.

I mean, that's my issue. The success of dark souls meant that a lot of games tried to introduce some of its mechanics while completely misunderstanding the actual game. Did Fallen Order really need bonfires and dark soul-ish combat? Or Tunic? What wrong lessons are devs going to get from Elden Ring?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbc2 dub is worst in combat where its just 400 stacked character barks playing at once

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think that a good test for Tristrat is if you hear the opening narration about the fictional political ramifications of the salt trade and are the type of person who goes "oh hell yeah"

As a mega commie I was pumping my fist but the start is very, very slow and as someone coming with a "maybe now one of these games will stick" it was a poor demo because until now I was absolutely confident that question was answered

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

lunar detritus posted:

I mean, that's my issue. The success of dark souls meant that a lot of games tried to introduce some of its mechanics while completely misunderstanding the actual game. Did Fallen Order really need bonfires and dark soul-ish combat? Or Tunic? What wrong lessons are devs going to get from Elden Ring?

Based on some of the posts in this thread, my guess is "make the maps as big as humanly possible"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Real hurthling! posted:

Xbc2 dub is worst in combat where its just 400 stacked character barks playing at once

that's the good part of the dub

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's worth playing Xenoblade 2 dubbed for Nia/Morag imho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Souls clones mostly just dont get it. They'll try to ape the mechanics and combat but even if they nail that, they stick you in a long corridor with an annoying narrator. Level design and art direction is probably the biggest part of what makes the games work

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that's the good part of the dub

Thing or three status: shown

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the JP VO for Morag apparently does a lot of androgynous-leaning characters and man does the English VO scene need people who specialize in that for like, Cyberpunk or some poo poo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there's a few coming onto the scene like kayleigh mckee but she's not in video games yet to my knowledge

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the best part of xc2's voice acting is the guy who screams out the status effects. no idea why they removed "a really hype guy screams out all the status effects" in xc3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also the best part of xc2's voice acting is the guy who screams out the status effects. no idea why they removed "a really hype guy screams out all the status effects" in xc3

I missed it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Phenotype posted:

So, and I don't mean to sound pushy at all here -- the reason Elden Ring is at the top of so many lists this year is because it ended up being the game of the year even for people who would have described it as "a game that I'm never going to play." I was saying the same thing in February -- I don't have the patience for really difficult games, I get spooked by horror stuff in games, it's just not for me. But the hype online was really strong, and my cousin was SO into it, and I said what the hell, I'll play it and just drop it when it gets too hard, I don't have to keep going if I'm not into it, and then

I would seriously recommend at least trying it if you have a chance.

Difficulty isn't a problem for me and horror elements, whilst usually a detriment, aren't bad enough to make me stop playing anything.

It's just the unfortunate problem of knowing who I am.

Bloodborne is very widely praised by goons, but by contrast I consider it to probably be the worst game I've played in over ten years. The core issue is that Souls combat is incredibly dull for me (I'd discuss further, but this thread is meant to be about praising games we like and not about complaining, so I want to respect that). And I just know that if the core, hitting buttons to kill enemies, gameplay isn't something I like then the game is going to get unplayable for me, super fast.

Also add in my complete inability to walk away from something I've started without hating myself and you've a recipe for disaster.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
tristrat's story is so good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
oh no nat20's souls opinions have hit the thread, just close it now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm with the person up thread who likes their combat fast and twitchy so I have never gotten into Souls and its very deliberate combat

everyone says i'd like Sekiro but the n*zis at Activision refuse to put it on sale....

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if anyone is going to start up elden ring don't pick the bandit as your starting class like i did. it's probably the reason i soured on the game so early. pick a better class!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think Souls influence is more detectible in the indie scene than major releases. 2011-ish was weird, there was this vibe going around that the future of gaming was casual and mobile games, so bringing "player-hostile" back into the vocabulary was a big deal

yeah for sure, though the indie gaming scene exploding in general made so many games possible that never would have happened at a different time anyway. dark souls was probably more influential in the vibes than the mechanics in terms of games that were actually good and will be remembered. hollow knight never would have happened without dark souls but i think everyone broadly agrees they took too much from the souls games.

elden ring being such an insane success will probably have ripples in the bigger AAA releases, maybe in a similar way, though most AAA game devs seem so creatively bankrupt and stuck in their ways, so maybe not.

lunar detritus posted:

oh fair enough, i get your point. though that's always been the case with these kind of games with one thing or another, like the brown/gray/brown era of gaming, cover based shooters, arkham asylum style combat, etc.

like fallen order seemed like such a transparently trend-riding game that if it didn't copy souls it would have copied something else popular and slapped star wars on top of it. i never played it but that's my impression of the game. tunic idk, i'm staying away from all info about that game in case i ever play it.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that games that have a strong and clear vision behind them won't be affected, while the games that would have ripped something else off will probably rip off elden ring instead.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sekiro is worth upwards of $60

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the only thing in HK that really strikes me as excessively souls-y is the corpse runs which at least have a lore reason for happening. stuff like the way NPCs are handled or the background storytelling were good poo poo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

tristrat's story is so good

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the only thing in HK that really strikes me as excessively souls-y is the corpse runs which at least have a lore reason for happening. stuff like the way NPCs are handled or the background storytelling were good poo poo

yeah that's what i mean, the corpse runs and stuff. to be honest i fell off hollow knight a few hours in because i didn't like how it felt to play so it wasn't a very considered analysis :coolfish:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also the way healing was handled and how finding timing windows to heal in combat could be a legitimate boss fight strategy, that was also ftw

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Buying thanks to this thread:

Pentiment
Triangle Strategy
NORCO
Tactics Ogre Reborn
SIGNALIS

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hatty posted:

Sekiro is worth upwards of $60

Yeah if you are already sure you are interested in it but it at full price because it and you deserve it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Foul Fowl posted:

oh fair enough, i get your point. though that's always been the case with these kind of games with one thing or another, like the brown/gray/brown era of gaming, cover based shooters, arkham asylum style combat, etc.

like fallen order seemed like such a transparently trend-riding game that if it didn't copy souls it would have copied something else popular and slapped star wars on top of it. i never played it but that's my impression of the game. tunic idk, i'm staying away from all info about that game in case i ever play it.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that games that have a strong and clear vision behind them won't be affected, while the games that would have ripped something else off will probably rip off elden ring instead.

I think the influence ended up being more subtle than that in some places.

I'm drawn to my thoughts on God of War 4 for this.

The combat in that game is much slower than in the original series. You contrast it with God of War 3 and you're moving around at a snail's pace, you don't have a combo counter any more and the game is much more about evading and countering attacks rather than using balls to the wall offense to overcome enemies before they have a chance to get in on you.

Now some of this is down to the change in creative vision for the series. Kratos is deliberate and exhausted with battle in 4, where in 3 he's an indiscriminate killing machine. And I do think that vision of Kratos and where they wanted to go with the game is clear.

But it's interesting to me that the way the devs figured they would evoke this vision of Kratos was to have him slow down, wield a big, heavy weapon and hide behind a shield.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Natural 20 posted:

Difficulty isn't a problem for me and horror elements, whilst usually a detriment, aren't bad enough to make me stop playing anything.

It's just the unfortunate problem of knowing who I am.

Bloodborne is very widely praised by goons, but by contrast I consider it to probably be the worst game I've played in over ten years. The core issue is that Souls combat is incredibly dull for me (I'd discuss further, but this thread is meant to be about praising games we like and not about complaining, so I want to respect that). And I just know that if the core, hitting buttons to kill enemies, gameplay isn't something I like then the game is going to get unplayable for me, super fast.

Also add in my complete inability to walk away from something I've started without hating myself and you've a recipe for disaster.

skill issue

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s funny because I’ve been trying to play a turn-based game and that’s essentially given me depression with how boring I find that style so I guess it does go both ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if turn based combat gives you a clinical depressive disorder, that seems like, a you problem