Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Daijisho is currently the numero uno I think.

I wish it had more themes instead of wallpapers for the only one but it’s a drat fine front end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah the wallpaper selections are all kind of rear end, having a set that was just..I dunno, nicely arranged shots of Evan Amos' console photos would be nice but instead every single one is HERE'S KRATOS

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like RESET Collection

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

Daijisho is currently the numero uno I think.

I wish it had more themes instead of wallpapers for the only one but it’s a drat fine front end.

It’s pretty good and is the only one I find tolerable as an Android Home Screen replacement

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh also whatever scrape source it uses (might be the retroarch one) really sucks and it'd be better if it let you use screenscraper or external pre-scraped XMLs/images

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh also whatever scrape source it uses (might be the retroarch one) really sucks and it'd be better if it let you use screenscraper or external pre-scraped XMLs/images

I love the "try really hard to find artwork, seriously I'm not picky just don't let the art be blank" option. Got some weird ones but at least there's pics!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RESET Collection's scraper is really good, the only issue was that it swapped the art for Dragon Quest I&II and Dragon Quest III on SNES but I was able to fix it

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also, the RP3+ came preinstalled with Unciv on it. It's like they knew about my debilitating Civ 5 addiction......

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bogart posted:

Also, the RP3+ came preinstalled with Unciv on it. It's like they knew about my debilitating Civ 5 addiction......

lol between that, Spelunky Classic and Open Morrowind, they definitely knew their audience

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
In case anyone else is still rocking the 353V, I recently made some 640x480 Game Boy lens borders for Retroarch - I shared these on the RG Handhelds Discord server and there's been some positive reception.

The goal was to mimic DMG/GBP/GBC lens elements as closely as possible and make some adjustments to accommodate 3x integer scaling. I know there are other similar borders around, but I wanted something a bit simpler.

For anyone interested, I've uploaded a ZIP file here that contains the borders, Retroarch Overlay CFG files, and a text file with a rough overview of the steps needed to set something like this up.

pig labeled 3 fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 30, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Side note, is that screenshot because you’re in the gameboy monthly games thread? Because that’s one of the games of the month.

Also I named my characters “lol” and “lmao”. Made it pretty funny all in all.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Rolo posted:

Side note, is that screenshot because you’re in the gameboy monthly games thread? Because that’s one of the games of the month.

Also I named my characters “lol” and “lmao”. Made it pretty funny all in all.

That's hilarious - I wish I had used those as names for this run, now.

Yeah, I'm a bit behind this month, but this has always been one of my favorite Game Boy games. The 353v is perfect as a pocketable retroachievements machine and, now that I have things set up just right, I'm hoping to get back into thread. I even had some replacement shoulder buttons printed and the system feels much more comfortable to play on.

There have been some great updates to ArkOS in the past week or so that should mitigate some of the SD card issues that were happening. There's also been a lot of work put into fixing the joystick deadzones, and the input has drastically improved. First-person aiming in OoT no longer makes you want to smash your head through a wall.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa those rule. Offhand, anyone know if someone made those for the RG280V?

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm tied up for the next couple days so if nobody is sure I can put together some similar ones - I have a 280V lying around.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Someone on the Retroid discord is doing a set of Daijisho backgrounds for each system that are a circuit board shot tinted in a colour iconic to that console and so far they look real nice

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_2m-LsxkWWcya-1y7A-AZDxMB6W5SpEy

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s cool, glad people are doing those. Bummer is I have stuff like Virtual Boy, so I have to wait and see if they make wallpapers for the weirder stuff before I dive in.

I still wish it supported themes or let us change the order of the systems. I’m a weirdo who prefers chronological over alphabetical.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Someone on the Retroid discord is doing a set of Daijisho backgrounds for each system that are a circuit board shot tinted in a colour iconic to that console and so far they look real nice

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_2m-LsxkWWcya-1y7A-AZDxMB6W5SpEy

These are incredible - what a cool idea.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I took a look - I'm not sure the 280V has functionality to add borders in Retroarch? For some reason I can't find how to configure it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

That’s cool, glad people are doing those. Bummer is I have stuff like Virtual Boy, so I have to wait and see if they make wallpapers for the weirder stuff before I dive in.

I still wish it supported themes or let us change the order of the systems. I’m a weirdo who prefers chronological over alphabetical.

I think they're sorted by the short name, so if you edit the year into the start of that in each system entry that should work?

e: tested by changing the shortname on PlayStation from psx to ps1 and it did indeed put it before PS2 as god intended

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 31, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pig labeled 3 posted:

I took a look - I'm not sure the 280V has functionality to add borders in Retroarch? For some reason I can't find how to configure it.

Oh, I didn’t think of that. Maybe it can’t do it

:iiam:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

pig labeled 3 posted:

I don't have a 280v, but if it's running Retroarch, then it can handle bezels. Bezels are just overlays. Retroarch has supported overlays for ages. Stick your bezel image in the overlays folder, in the retroarch quickmenu choose "overlays" and select the image. You probably also want to make sure your video output is set with integer scaling on.

Now, making it *easy* to get game-specific overlays automatically and stuff is another matter, that's basically a question of whether the scripts to create/modify the cfg files to tell Retroarch which overlay to load exist for the OS & frontend your device is running. But if it's running Retroarch, it supports the capability.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

zzMisc posted:

I don't have a 280v, but if it's running Retroarch, then it can handle bezels. Bezels are just overlays. Retroarch has supported overlays for ages. Stick your bezel image in the overlays folder, in the retroarch quickmenu choose "overlays" and select the image. You probably also want to make sure your video output is set with integer scaling on.

Now, making it *easy* to get game-specific overlays automatically and stuff is another matter, that's basically a question of whether the scripts to create/modify the cfg files to tell Retroarch which overlay to load exist for the OS & frontend your device is running. But if it's running Retroarch, it supports the capability.

The Overlays submenus on my 280V are totally empty. My best guess is these devices are using a stripped down version of Retroarch to get as much performance as possible, unless I'm missing something.

Edit: Looked it up - this series of devices don't support overlays unfortunately. Another option is to use the Gambatte-DMS emulator, but that only seems to be set up for 1x integer scaling which is incredibly small on the 280V. I don't know if there's a better option.

pig labeled 3 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 1, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm sure many people realize this at some point but I find that I'm using my two Anbernic devices a lot more now that I've moved away from putting entire HTGDB packs onto them.

The idea of having a device that has every NES, GB, SNES, Genesis, etc. game on it is fine in theory.

But in practice what I need is a device that just plays Kirby's Pinball and Shining Force II.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The abundance of choice can paralyze you.

And honestly, sometimes it’s more fun to set it all up and a slight let down when you’re all done but have no idea what to play.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I dig the full scraped romset thing because it's fun to just scroll and watch the preview videos. It's also cool to sort by developer and other tags. I've been stumbling onto all kinds of good stuff with filtering.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm sure many people realize this at some point but I find that I'm using my two Anbernic devices a lot more now that I've moved away from putting entire HTGDB packs onto them.

The idea of having a device that has every NES, GB, SNES, Genesis, etc. game on it is fine in theory.

But in practice what I need is a device that just plays Kirby's Pinball and Shining Force II.

Shining force 2 owns. I discovered it one day around 7pm on the sega channel and stayed up until like 6 am playing straight through. I don’t think I’ve done that with another game since. Before that it was Ys: the vanished omens on the sega master system. My desire to replay Shining Force 2 is probably a factor in why I still haven’t touched Breath of the Wild despite having owned it for 3 years.

Someone needs to get save states working for Genesis games on the Analogue Pocket.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
After trying and failing to get PS1 emulation working on a myriad of devices I own, I went ahead and ordered a Retroid Pocket 3.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The retroarch PCSXrearmed core is pretty mature and runs well enough anything in the power class as the retroid 2.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah I only have a 280v, an rg-300 and an rg-350. None of them seem up to it except for basic games.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
RP3+ runs PS1 stuff nice and smooth with Duckstation.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bogart posted:

RP3+ runs PS1 stuff nice and smooth with Duckstation.

Upscaled too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Oh woops I totally ordered a RP3 when I meant to get an RP3+.

Fortunately their store support fixed it and billed me the difference quickly.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Remind me, is VBA-M or mGBA supposed to be the good one? Screwing around with Classicboy Pro since I'm antiRetroarch, and it seems like VBA-M can't run romhacks (which is like half the fun for me) so I'm leading toward the latter.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 3, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think it's mgba these days?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Alright, so as fun as it is to see what use I can squeeze out of my old GPi, it is lagging way behind in what it can actually run and the batteries/startup time/hair-trigger tendency to corrupt data on improper poweroff are still horrendous. I might be in the market for a replacement as long as I can find something that ships to Canada for a sane price. The Miyoo Mini seems to have vanished from the face of the planet and the 35XX looks too restrictive for the price and form factor so I think I'm looking at either the 353V or 353M. I gather the M has Hall Effect sticks while the V doesn't? Any other particular pros and cons between the two? Wireless support for RSS access? Battery life? Most importantly, how do the dimensions on the M compare to something like the full-size New 3DS? I would be looking at a Steam Deck, but I really need something that could conceivably fit in a pocket.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The 353M is basically the exact same size as the 351P, and that's slightly smaller than a New 2DS. The 353V is slightly shorter but both of them have wifi and bluetooth. I would personally get the 353M if the 351P didn't still do everything I want it to and also if the 353M had a purple that wasn't horrible. Also if the RP3+ didn't exist.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Trimui is coming for the hot new trends of gameboy sized verticals and big ol' chonky switch lite sized devices

Also the Anbernic RG35XX finally gets a custom firmware that gives it some of the Miyoo Mini custom firmware features that made it so appealing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fStOsRyPe5Q

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

...I've never used AliExpress before, how wary should one be of sellers on the platform? Because this listing just appeared from thin air, with hundreds of units to offload at about half the normal retail price in a marketplace absolutely lousy with people scalping at double price, and the seller account is some real fishy-looking nonsense with zero feedback so far.

Also what's the least horrible shipping service to go with, Fedex, UPS, or one of the weird ones all the way from China?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ali has a 75 day buyer protection programme at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

...I've never used AliExpress before, how wary should one be of sellers on the platform? Because this listing just appeared from thin air, with hundreds of units to offload at about half the normal retail price in a marketplace absolutely lousy with people scalping at double price, and the seller account is some real fishy-looking nonsense with zero feedback so far.

Also what's the least horrible shipping service to go with, Fedex, UPS, or one of the weird ones all the way from China?

I gave one of those listings a shot last year and it’s almost certainly a scam. Like mentioned you’ll get your money back, but not until after a long wait for the fake tracking to be confirmed as not delivered.