Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
If you think about it the BFG is probably roughly equivalent to a Blaster Launcher. Although hopefully not remote controlled.

This month's set of missions was kinda funny. A lot of missions against monsters where the mission was super easy due to engaging the enemy at long range. But they were good practice for the newbies and selling 40 zombie corpses is pretty good for money in the bank.

I'm a little obsessed with the economy in this game because in one of my first runs I basically stopped making money for 2 months and that was a pretty big setback. That said I think we can officially afford to buff up our numbers a bit and get a workshop going. Maybe a big science lab next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macdjord
Oct 26, 2013
Can you turn the workshop into a profit center the way you could in the base game by making and selling laser weapons?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

macdjord posted:

Can you turn the workshop into a profit center the way you could in the base game by making and selling laser weapons?

There's a "Sell everything you're producing" button in the workshop interface, and it'll even helpfully list your expected monthly profit for that run.

so far I haven't run into anything that:

1. can be produced without special materials that are in limited supply
2. yields enough of a profit to cover both the engineers' monthly salaries and the maintenance costs of the workshop.

That said, there are plenty of things that sell for more than their construction cost, so if your engineers aren't doing anything actually important you may as well keep them from going idle and recover some of the expense of having them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

macdjord posted:

There's nothing quite that good in xcom files, but there are a lot of very lucrative production possibilities in piratez, though in the latter case they do often require some kind of loot.

xpiratez spoilers:
In the early game it's making a weird apple wine "chateau de au mort", in the later game the way you make a shitload of money off of production is counterfeit poker chips, though there are also other options like ICBMs and battle tanks which are of little/no use for you but sell for a ton.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Panzeh posted:

There's nothing quite that good in xcom files, but there are a lot of very lucrative production possibilities in piratez, though in the latter case they do often require some kind of loot.

xpiratez spoilers:
In the early game it's making a weird apple wine "chateau de au mort", in the later game the way you make a shitload of money off of production is counterfeit poker chips, though there are also other options like ICBMs and battle tanks which are of little/no use for you but sell for a ton.

WRT the idea of turning looted resources into profitable engineering output in Files:

Don't.

It doesn't matter how tempting that big stockpile of Elerium or alloys or whatever else you have lying around looks. You're going to need it for more important things, and especially once you start having to make ammo out of it just to keep up with increasingly more dangerous enemies you're going to chew through it faster than you'll like.

KyrosV76
Aug 27, 2022
Been loving this LP so much. Since the enemies of the world seem to be stepping up their game, I suggest it's time to bring out the truly big guns. Kyros Valent is here to join the HVY squad.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

macdjord posted:

Technically there are some human items you can make and sell, like the taser cannon and clips, the dart gun and clips, and so on. But most of those will at most cover the salaries for a few of the engineers or some of the maintenance costs for the workshop.

As for loot items, the only items that are truly safe to sell are weapons that have already been researched and are beneath your current tech level, and the "money" loot you sometimes get from cultists. Everything else like durathread and psiclone should be kept if at all possible because you can make use of them. Even corpses and captured monsters should be kept since they can get you energetic blood plasma. That said, if you don't need any plasma and have already studied the corpses, that's probably the safest loot type to sell

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
File 12: First Blood for Weasel Bunker
*Begin Recording*
Sunny’s Log: November 1st to December 1st

This is their name, right? Right. Good. Apparently, I’ve been saying it wrong for months now. Hopefully, now that we’ve got all that sorted everything will be fine…

So, November was actually something of a quiet month for us, although apparently, Weasel Bunker had a much more exciting time. Our first mission for this month saw us set against a bloodthirsty werewolf, but we found it at the very edge of our vision. On the other side of town. Where we could freely shoot at it without risking injury.

Despite its large size and powerful muscles we just got to shoot it from long range, and when it passed out we immediately sedated it and gave it first aid. We now have a captive Werewolf.

We finally finished filing everything we need to get a Dragonfly and it’s a beautiful ship. Slightly longer range than the Helicopter is much faster and it can hold 8 agents. In addition, our soldiers start the mission inside of the Dragonfly instead of outside, meaning we’ll be partly protected from ambush. With this, the lab was free to work on other projects and the decision that was reached might be slightly controversial

We have way too much crap in the stores, but the Council has agreed to give us a small boost in funds for each successful research project, and the weapon tests that we perform technically count as small-scale research projects. So, to handle two birds with one stone the labbies have started doing loads of weapon tests in order to clear out our stores and “coerce” some money from the council.

They’re also studying the giant rats

We, as in Rat Hill didn’t have any missions during this period, but around this time we had the first mission from Weasel Bunker, with Hound Smith leading Dire Lemming, Ivan, G255, Reasonable Achmed, and Randalor on their first-ever mission. If you’re wondering why Jane Kane wasn’t on this mission, I’ve been informed that they were still injured when transferred to Weasel Bunker and haven’t been cleared for field work yet.

(Whoops! Sorry Jane)

Hound Smith: Alright everyone, remember your training, if things get dicey fall back on the rest of the team and do your best.
Dire Lemming: Sir I already see contacts! They look like… rotting humans?
Hound Smith: Zombies! Yeah, we’ve had to deal with a few of those. Take a defensive position around the chopper, they’ll be coming to us.

Ivan: Oh god it just ate him!
G255: drat! Why don’t we rush them? Why are we just sitting here?
Reasonable Achmed: There are more of these zombies than there are of us. If we rush them we lose the only advantage we have, guns.
Hound Smith: Sorry your first mission has to be so grisly rooks. Just keep steady, we’ll kill them all.

The helicopter had landed next to a large group of dead trees. The zombies couldn’t force their way through the trees so they had to go around. This provided a convenient choke point. As cruel as it is to say, it might have been the ideal first mission for them, with plenty of chances to train their accuracy in a relatively safe environment. Of course, since they weren’t as skilled as us things did get dicey once or twice

Randalor: Sir? Are you sure you don’t want to retreat?
Hound Smith: I’ll be fine I can run much faster than they can, just get ready.

(Despite the fact that I can level the entire team's firepower at this group of zombies, I was very, very nervous)

Hound Smith: Open Fire!

The zombies were cut down in a hail of bullets, and Weasel Squad ended their first mission without any casualties

I’d say it was a good learning experience for them. Although it’s a real shame the next mission they went on wasn’t as harmless. X-COM received a message from a counter-terrorist organization. They had managed to track down an EXALT cell and were told in no uncertain orders that they needed to go through us before undertaking the mission. The agreement went was this, we would assault EXALT together

We had no way or reason to refuse, and so Weasel Bunker went into the fray once more. I wouldn’t call this mission a disaster, but it certainly didn’t go off without a hitch either…

(My first run of this mission failed because I tried to kill this guy, who was standing in the second floor of a nearby building, by shooting through the window. Some combo of miss percentage and damage variance meant we couldn't kill him and the entire team was standing in a circle. So. Let's not do that)

Hound Smith: He’s got a grenade launcher! Everyone scatter!
Randalor: I found our allies for this mission. They’re loaded for bear.

(The counter-terrorist NPCs are actually quite strong. Their armor is slightly weaker than our armored vests but stronger than our Kevlar vests. Their stats are comparable to some of the mid-line cultist soldiers. If you get a mission like this early in the game, there's no shame in letting them go first)

(That grenade launcher from earlier? Napalm. Hound is on fire.)

Hound Smith: Ahhh! drat it! Enemy to my left!
Reasonable Achmed: I’ve got you Sir!

G255: Okay. Breathe in… Breath out. Take aim and-

Dire Lemming: You should know better than to engage me at close range! Haha!

(Dire Misses every single shot)

Dire Lemming: Crap!
Ivan: Don’t worry I’ll back you up.
Randalor: I think I hear noises coming from this building. I’m going to investigate!

Hound Smith: Okay… the fire stopped but… I don’t know how much help I’ll be. It’s hard to walk and my arms are shaking. Good thing we’ve got this counter-terrorist team at our back

(Dire Lemming, G255, and Ivan all unloaded at least 2 shots toward the enemy he was fighting. And every single one missed. That's all that happened this turn :xcom:

Dire Lemming: Finally! Ugh… I took a couple of shots but the vest stopped it.

Randalor: I’m gonna sneak up on this guy and ambush him with my auto-shot. I think I can take him on my own

Randalor:... where did he go?

The rest of the firefight was basically handled. But this incident with Randalor is interesting. And highly improbable

Randalor: He was hiding! Well, I’ve got an assault rifle with your name on it!

The enemy liquidator had been injured at the start of the battle and somehow failed to kill Randalor at point-blank range. But from there Randalor opened fire and revealed his accuracy was subpar as well

Despite landing roughly 3 shots the enemy remained standing. As we later discovered the enemy’s armor was about the same as ours. The assault rifle should have had enough punch to finish the enemy off at close range, but only if the shooter got lucky. Despite this the enemy foolishly decided to try and knife Randalor and failed, leaving an opening for Randalor to secure the kill!

(I forgot that diagonals counted for CQC. And that directional facing doesn't matter for CQC. I'm really sorry Randalor)

He then squandered by failing a CQC battle with the enemy.

By the time G255 arrived Randalor was dead, but the Liquidator was so weak that it was easy to capture them with a taser

Honestly, despite the rough start and the Randalor incident, this mission was a big success. We captured an EXALT Liquidator, we acquired psyclone and a briefcase full of money, as well as a grenade launcher and some napalm grenades. I feel bad for Randalor going out so soon in a mission like this but, it was a dangerous one and the EXALT Liquidators are no joke

Also, we finished work on our other craft research, the Little Bird

The Little Bird is a combat helicopter that can mount weapons like miniguns, machine guns, and rocket launchers as heavy ordinance. It’s a combat craft so it can’t hold a lot of agents and its max range isn’t exceptional. But it’s more dangerous than what most people can get their hands on.

After this, it was our turn to take on a zombie horde but I won’t bore you with the details

(No seriously though since zombies just run forward mindlessly there’s no real reason for me to describe these missions. Enough fire power just solves these for us)

Also, one of the weapons we recovered from the cults, I don’t remember which one is this hugely dangerous grenade

(Keep in mind most exposed humans have a 400% weakness to choke damage)

Exposing yourself to this gas is a death sentence. I’m glad they didn’t get to use it. There’s so much red tape involved in getting one of these that we can’t even make the attempt, although honestly, it’s probably a good thing. I’m not really alright with what is basically chemical warfare

Also researched were these giant rats and… well what is there to say. They’re rats as large as dogs with an unusually high level of aggression and murderous intent. We have our doubts that these are natural but we also don’t have strong enough proof that they aren’t natural yet.

A few days later we completed the interrogation of the Priest of Dagon. The priest’s Dagonization is less noticeable than the others and they seem to be spokesmen and recruiters among the normal populace. They are high enough in the chain of command to be of great interest to us.

Sadly Liquidators are a bust. While they’re strong soldiers equipped with heavy armor and powerful weapons they’re also just that, soldiers. Dumb muscle. We were disappointed by this until we realized there was something we could still research. Their armor.

Oh also we finished designing our electrip prod. It’s a huge unwieldy 2 handed weapon but it delivers a powerful enough shock to instantly put someone down so… I think it’s better than our stun batons at least

The Liquidator armor has the same strength as our normal armored vest, but superior night vision and some night camouflage. There’s no reason to use it over our current armor unless it is night time.

I’m not kidding when I say we just went a full week and a half without a single mission. That’s where this flood of research came from, that and our second base pouring out research.

The dart pistol is the same concept as the dart rifle. Shooting the enemy with a needle full of tranquilizers in order to take them down nonlethally. It fires faster but has smaller needles with less anesthetic, and a lower range of course. We need a workshop to build the things though…

The Night Ops armor is a combination of the Night Vision technology from the Liquidator armor and Durathread from Red Dawn’s armor, plus some camouflage. It’s a little better than the Jumpsuits we made with durathread and comes with night vision goggles. This would be a good “light” armor to use at night

Finally, After 13 days of no missions we finally had another one, and Rat Hill’s Helicopter team flew into the fray…

Against more zombies. Again I won’t detail the mission but I will reiterate that this is the largest mission we’ve had against zombies to date. Good lord

(The biggest danger in this mission is that one zombie jumped off a roof to attack Gaspode, but Gas survived one swipe, counterattacked, and ripped it apart. Although running out of ammo was also a concern)

On our way back we finished a negotiation with some people who were saving seemingly canceled weapon projects some of them only serve certain niches or just aren’t very viable, but we deal with special enemies, I think we can afford to try them

(After doing some research I can safely say that the revived weapons would be good if you didn't have black ops weapons yet. Most of them fill a similar niche to the Black Ops weapons, such as a better shotgun and a better rifle. But you can get them without spending time contacting Black Ops.)

At the same time we finished interrogating the Black Lotus… Witch

If it wasn’t for proof that the red glove they had could shoot fire I would disregard their apparent “mental abilities” but the proof stands that they can do things no normal human can. Outside of that, they lack physical training and power, as well as equipment. Be wary of them, but if need be they can be killed like any normal human

They… They’re trying to draw up reports on how Giant Rats breed so they can make a facility for them. I really hope they fail. I don’t want Gas to be replaced by an actual rat. I don't want the base to be swarmed with a bunch of rats!

At this point Weasel Bunker had another mission against zombies and once again won with no casualties. I’m starting to get worried about how many there apparently are. We’ve burned over 100 zombie corpses this month alone!

The Chosen of Dagon are basically disciples who have reached a higher rank. They have no special duties but seem to be smarter or stronger than the lower-ranking cultists. That said, this one did bring us enough info that we could perhaps track down the next rank of the church

(Technically the Zombie research report came after the fat zombie research but it's better to place them side by side)

Our research into zombies was disturbing, apparently, zombies start when a normal human is infected with some kind of parasite that takes over their bodies and turns them into mindless hungry beasts. Another disturbing fact is that larger and stronger breeds of zombies eat their smaller and weaker companions. This causes energy to build up inside of them to become stronger and faster

We had another mission and at this point I was expecting zombies but it wasn’t zombies! It was rats.

Lots and lots of rats. I wish I had more to say about these missions but it was just a bunch of rats! All we had to do was shoot each one once to stem the flow of rats and keep a healthy distance away.

But Weasel Bunker had a mission that wasn’t against zombies and rats, instead, it was against EXALT. Jane Kane led Dire Lemming, G255, Ivan, Reasonable Achmed, and bios into battle.

Ivan: You know this isn’t my weapon of choice right?
Jane Kane: I know but I needed someone to do it. How’s it look over there?

(I know you can’t see anyone there but I assure you, there are members of EXALT hidden in the trees.)

Reasonable Achmed: Looks like they’re all hiding in the woods over there.
Jane Kane: Perfect. Snipers! Line up and get ready to fire. bios, Lemming, you prefer close range so I advise you to check out the base itself
bios: Alright!

The firefight with the EXALT in the forest went swimmingly. Jane Kane, G255, and Ivan racked up the kills, even Reasonable Achmed got one with his machine gun

Dire Lemming: I don't really see anyone around here...

(I didn’t see the enemy coming. But I had reserved some TUs for reaction fire. Lemming just… didn’t take the shot.)

Bios:... I think I hear someone shanking Lemming on the other side of the house
Jane Kane:... Damnit

The mission ended without further incident. It’s a shame that Weasel Bunker has lost two agents in one month but it’s honestly not going all that poorly I’d say. The rookies are quickly becoming decent agents. And believe it or not, that’s the last mission for this month. It was strangely calm, despite the body count being higher this month than before, on both sides

I neglected to grab a picture of it but we finished developing an advanced medical spray. We already have a medical spray but it can only heal one wound on use. The advanced medical spray has 3 charges and can be applied to an agent to heal them. It’s the first med kit an agent can use on themselves. There are just two problems, it can’t be restocked like our other medkits so after use another one has to be bought. Also, it is expensive. $22,500 for a single advanced medical spray

Now you might be wondering to yourself “what was the point of all of those research projects we’ve been churning out? Usually, we focus on more important stuff so why are we researching ballistics for outdated guns?” Well, we get a slight influx of money for each completed project. And the end result came in during this month’s report

After a month of being careful with our resources and spending as little money as possible, this is an incredible boon for us. Now, technically these took place shortly after our monthly report but I need to commen5 on two more things

We finished reverse engineering Red Dawn’s Durathread machine. We can't actually make our own, but we understand it more, and might be able to discover more information based on this machine

The second thing, we have enough money in the back to build and then fund one of two buildings, a workshop with a small staff of engineers, or a lab with a full staff of scientists. While it would be great to increase our research even further, our current setup is making quite a lot of headway as is. Also worth noting we have multiple projects that can only be done with a workshop, so perhaps we should prioritize that.

Food for thought, personally I think a workshop might be good. Anyway, this is all I have for today

This is Commissar Sunny Signing Off
*End Recording*

(LPer Notes)

I’m sorry that you died Randalor, that was mostly my fault for letting you engage a Liquidator at point-blank range, but I needed someone to do it and Hound was half dead. Maybe you could have walked away if luck was on your side or I sent another agent your way.

That entire exchange was 3 turns of both me and the AI passing the :xcom: ball back and forth.

I’m not sorry about your death Lemming. If you wanted to live you would have taken a reaction shot. Or dodged the knife swing.

I'm a little worried that the massive influx of score and money means the game is gonna take the kid gloves off and destroy me next month. Hopefully not...

Gameplay Corner

Today in the armory we have some weapons that we haven’t used and might not, since we’ve moved on to a new technology stage. However, if I knew these weapons were better I may have tried to use them earlier in the game

I actually didn’t know this gun was so good. This is a direct upgrade in firing speed and accuracy over the initial Colt with the same amount of power. It’s also comparable to the black ops pistol, and actually has better-aimed accuracy and slightly reduced TU cost, though it’s snapshots are less accurate. Now that I have Black Ops Pistols I don’t think I need the SOCOM, but if I had somehow acquired the Military Envoy early and still had work to do before I hit promotion 2, I might have considered this as my sidearm of choice

Honestly, I’m considering getting one of these. This is the most powerful one-handed SMG we’ve seen so far, and it fires a disgusting number of bullets on auto fire. However, its accuracy is pathetic even for an SMG. Its snapshots (the most accurate shot type it has) are as accurate as the Black Ops SMG’s auto shots. I’m not sure what to make of it.

The Heavy Machine Gun looks monstrous, and it is. One burst is an agent firing 10 of the strongest bullets we've ever seen at 50% accuracy at short to mid-range. However, it has many drawbacks. A normal human can barely lift it, and while incredibly powerful it has to be “set up” before use so the user must remain mostly stationary on the turn on which it is fired. It’s the kind of weapon that would be best used against a horde of enemies in open terrain.

We can’t buy this yet but someone dropped it in a mission somewhere and hoo boy this is probably the most murderous shotgun we can acquire. Its accuracy is a good bit lower than normal but shotguns usually don’t care about that stuff, and it fires even faster than the shotgun we have now. Sadly it can't equip AP or baton shells and we can’t actually get one right now. Maybe we'll use it later

Again, this is the kind of weapon I would have used before my team acquired the Black Ops Sniper Rifle. It is less accurate and less powerful as well as having a smaller clip. However, I might still get some of these due to the fact that the Black Ops Sniper Rifle actually penalizes people with low accuracy while the Bolt Action rifle does not.

This is the kind of weapon that’s not easy to use, especially since training throwing accuracy kinda requires the use of specialized weapons such as this. That said if your throwing accuracy is high enough throwing stars are super scary because a throwing star can spontaneously explode and deal enough damage to kill someone wearing an armored vest, and since they cost a direct amount of TUs instead of a percentage, it’s possible to fire off 4 or so a turn on an elite agent

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 1, 2023

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Just living up to my name.
Or dying up to my name I guess.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

glwgameplayer posted:

At the same time we finished interrogating the Black Lotus… Witch

If it wasn’t for proof that the red glove they had could shoot fire I would disregard their apparent “mental abilities” but the proof stands that they can do things no normal human can. Outside of that, they lack physical training and power, as well as equipment. Be wary of them, but if need be they can be killed like any normal human

So their 'mental abilities' are just DRM keys?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Well, might as well throw my hat into the ring. Sign me up for XCOM! I have no preferences as to what the person with my name winds up as.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
If you still need more dudes, you can sign me up, too, any class.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
The reason why things like Throwing stars are super dangerous is that they do Cutting damage, very few armors actually have any resistance to that damage type so they almost always do well against humanoid enemies.

Having some training for Throwing might be good as well when we eventually get grenades.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

The Lone Badger posted:

So their 'mental abilities' are just DRM keys?

It's kind of like how X-COM needs a Psi amp before they can use psychic abilities. Except their "psi amp" is basically a red power glove they can use to shoot fire

Koorisch posted:

The reason why things like Throwing stars are super dangerous is that they do Cutting damage, very few armors actually have any resistance to that damage type so they almost always do well against humanoid enemies.

Having some training for Throwing might be good as well when we eventually get grenades.

I'm not 100% sure if any of our agents are good enough to use throwing stars yet but ideally since Titty Baby is a ninja I'd like them to be the one using throwing knives and stars. And they might not be the worst CQC backup weapon either

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

glwgameplayer posted:

I'm not 100% sure if any of our agents are good enough to use throwing stars yet but ideally since Titty Baby is a ninja I'd like them to be the one using throwing knives and stars. And they might not be the worst CQC backup weapon either
Going by the calculation of 0.007 * ThrowAcc^2, at 50 acc you get a damage of 17,5, 60 gots up to 25, and 70 to 34. From there it just goes to ridiculous heights really quick, and if 100 is the maximum the stat can reach, those little stars do a staggering 70 damage apiece.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Lynneth posted:

Going by the calculation of 0.007 * ThrowAcc^2, at 50 acc you get a damage of 17,5, 60 gots up to 25, and 70 to 34. From there it just goes to ridiculous heights really quick, and if 100 is the maximum the stat can reach, those little stars do a staggering 70 damage apiece.

No wonder Black Lotus Assassins are so nasty then, their ThrowAcc is 75.

Having a dedicated Thrower armed with stuff like this will be terrifying later on when their skill is maxed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Panzeh posted:

Speaking of Doom, from my current xpiratez run:

...I'm sorry.

Jew?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Samovar posted:

...I'm sorry.

Jewelry?

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Wait, you're telling me "JEW" as an item slot bothers you, but the fact that he's got both an RPG and a chainsaw in his HAT is perfectly fine?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Wait, you're telling me "JEW" as an item slot bothers you, but the fact that he's got both an RPG and a chainsaw in his HAT is perfectly fine?

It's a big hat.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

equipping power tools as a helmet is a time-honoured tradition (see: FF6)

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I don't even know what to say about this last exchange. It's probably jewelry I think, but I also know that Voodoo is the replacement for Psi in Xpiratesz so... make of that what you will.

I'm thinking I'll do a retrospective on X-COM's growth at the beginning of the next in-game year, as well as review our enemy catalog. If I had gone faster I might have gotten to do the new year's retrospective at the same time as real life's new year. But oh well.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Definitely good with being one of the reserves! Feel free to throw me into the zombie horde.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm just questioning the logic behind charging a medic into a CQC situation.

:argh:

Ah well, if you get any more doggos or... uh... rattos, name one Randalor II in my memory. Maybe it'll survive more than one mission.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Samovar posted:

...I'm sorry.

Jew?

So, yeah, that's a shortening for jewelry slot.

Funny enough, the doom armor has no hat slot, that is indeed the backpack. Hat slots are for very specific items, like gas masks, etc.

And while it's a shortening of jewelry, this is a mod developer who chose to have the button for the weapon details screen say 'anal' for analysis. Piratez is made by someone with the sense of humor of a 13 year old. It is a massive shortcoming of the mod, despite being a very open progression type game that can kinda go nuts.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Randalor posted:

I'm just questioning the logic behind charging a medic into a CQC situation.

:argh:

Ah well, if you get any more doggos or... uh... rattos, name one Randalor II in my memory. Maybe it'll survive more than one mission.

The logic is with Hound currently at 5 HP and Lemming currently slowly bleeding out, you were the only agent who wasn't injured, and had a weapon that was viable for CQC. To your credit, the only reason you didn't kill the Liquidator is that their armor is crazy strong against bullets.

Now, the fact that you didn't have any backup is my fault and I take full responsibility for that. Would have been better to use you as the point man and have someone at your back with a taser or a pistol

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

ACC is the real problem here. The default assumption is that you are fielding female mutants. So specifically calling that slot jewelry and then using that abbreviation is not a great look. To go along with the not great look of a wide variety of fetish outfits, including going into battle straight up naked.

I haven't played XPiratez since you stopped starting with a pirate parody Xcom loadout. But I have heard it has done the opposite of improve on these fronts. Heck have somebody's blog entry on it: https://nighthams.wordpress.com/202...-x-com-megamod/ A word of warning: that site has a write up of X-Files that contains spoilers even by our standards. The RPG campaign adaptation writeup is just a little bit past where we are now.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

habituallyred posted:

A word of warning: that site has a write up of X-Files that contains spoilers even by our standards. The RPG campaign adaptation writeup is just a little bit past where we are now.

I'm just going to skip past everything about X Piratez because. Wow, that's kind of a lot. It would have been better if it was just juvenile attempts at mature humor and not potentially baked-in problematic writing.

Instead, I will focus on the fact that this X-COM Files Writeup is super cool and I now feel inadequate.

... Oh well. Inadequacy over. It's an RPG and not an LP so we've got our own niche

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 2, 2023

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
I wouldn't mind having my guy going out into the field with a bolt action sniper rifle, mainly due to how powerful it could get in Resident Evil 4. Then again, there's no shady merchant around willing to upgrade said rifle for some totally-not-Spanish gold, so it's going to get outclassed quickly.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Gilgamesh255 posted:

I wouldn't mind having my guy going out into the field with a bolt action sniper rifle, mainly due to how powerful it could get in Resident Evil 4. Then again, there's no shady merchant around willing to upgrade said rifle for some totally-not-Spanish gold, so it's going to get outclassed quickly.

You actually did deploy with the bolt action a few times in the last recording. Your accuracy with it was actually superior to the Black Ops rifle, although as your stats go up that will probably change.

Also, I have now recorded a full in-game year of X-COM Files! Woo. and next month is going to have a pretty special event in it so, look forward to that. And I think I can set up a little retrospective thing where we look at how much X-COM has grown over the in-game year, as well as discuss the cultists and their toys

I'm just trying to build a backlog right now because college starts back in a week and that's going to sap away some of my free time

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

glwgameplayer posted:

You actually did deploy with the bolt action a few times in the last recording. Your accuracy with it was actually superior to the Black Ops rifle, although as your stats go up that will probably change.

"Hey, G255 (god that sounds so weird saying out loud), why're you using that old bolt action sniper rifle, when we've got better stuff in stock?"
"Call me old fashioned, or maybe slightly technologically behind, but I just can't quite wrap my head around these new fangled rifles, at least, not yet. For now, I'm going with the old and reliable, as a sort of training wheels, so to speak."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

glwgameplayer posted:

I'm just going to skip past everything about X Piratez because. Wow, that's kind of a lot. It would have been better if it was just juvenile attempts at mature humor and not potentially baked-in problematic writing.

Instead, I will focus on the fact that this X-COM Files Writeup is super cool and I now feel inadequate.

... Oh well. Inadequacy over. It's an RPG and not an LP so we've got our own niche

Well, I also have the advantage of not having to deal with 'and then we had to fight 2 Exalt Guys' 10 times a month at the beginning and being able to make up whatever I want as extra/add in actual investigation. Though it's always really amused me that X-COM Files Investigation missions are 'we dressed up as factory workers, bludgeoned everyone with pipes, and brought in any survivors for questioning'. It fits Vanilla X-COM and their approach of 'that farmhouse might have an alien in it, throw a detpack in'.

Also, I've now found/caught up with this LP! I enjoy Files a lot. Though one thing you didn't notice about the Jumpsuit: Different armors have different 'unarmed' attacks, and unarmed martial arts can be extremely strong if you get an agent skilled enough with them. The Jumpsuit has 7 TU, good accuracy, good damage (if an Agent has good skills) unarmed martial arts, so I often used it for hand-to-hand specialists.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Night10194 posted:

Also, I've now found/caught up with this LP! I enjoy Files a lot. Though one thing you didn't notice about the Jumpsuit: Different armors have different 'unarmed' attacks, and unarmed martial arts can be extremely strong if you get an agent skilled enough with them. The Jumpsuit has 7 TU, good accuracy, good damage (if an Agent has good skills) unarmed martial arts, so I often used it for hand-to-hand specialists.

Well hello there! I hope you're enjoying the LP.

I did know about the martial arts attacks but I was never really sure how good they are. Looking at it now... yeah I can see it being good.

So, basically depending on the kind of armor you have equipped you'll have different kinds of unarmed attacks. The Armored Vest that most of our agents use has a melee that costs 11 TUs, and has sub-par accuracy, but for some reason, some of its damage scales off your agent's stamina. The Jumpsuit is probably the best one we've seen so far since it costs 7 TUs and is based on strength, melee accuracy, and reactions. Tied closely with the Suit which is mostly the same. It's just that, you know. Using the suit means you have a death wish.

I'm just never sure how good melee is in this game because I am extremely afraid of reaction fire, or failing to secure a kill in melee and being stuck at point-blank range with an enemy

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Melee is extremely powerful but risky. Though I find it especially good for capture.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, the problem with the better martial arts if you give up any kind of small arms resistance to get it, when it's not that difficult to get a stun baton which isn't all that much worse. They try to make missions where these can shine but it's not all that successful- piratez has the same problem, some armors can do martial arts moves including an AoE spinkick but since none of them have any real protection you can't do much with them, and in that mod your units get such high strength that your basic punch can be lethal so you have to use stun batons again.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I could probably make use of it with the jumpsuit or night ops suit (since that uses the "suit" version of martial arts, and both of them do have damage resistance) But I'm a bit leery about giving up my extremely cool 20+ armor for a little extra agility and punching power. (Granted the armor is only that thick on the front)

glwgameplayer fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 3, 2023

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

glwgameplayer posted:

I could probably make use of it with the jumpsuit or night ops suit (since that uses the "suit" version of martial arts, and both of them do have damage resistance) But I'm a bit leery about giving up my extremely cool 20+ armor for a little extra agility and punching power. (Granted the armor is only that thick on the front)

Oh, it's absolutely understandable to use that suit and a stun prod or something. Not to mention the shield is a good (if extremely tiring) stun weapon on the riot shield variant. And yes! I am enjoying the LP, I enjoy Files Times.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The more I hear about Piratez I think someone should make a highly sarcastic LP out of it, maybe replace every awful nude with stick figures or something.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

By popular demand posted:

The more I hear about Piratez I think someone should make a highly sarcastic LP out of it, maybe replace every awful nude with stick figures or something.

That's pretty close to /all/ of it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was going to make a joke about "stupid sexy greys" before I remembered that article about the mod mentioned it was post-apoc sexy pirates against sexy post-apoc pirates. So, yeah, I can easily believe it's 99% TnA.