Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

joepinetree posted:

The other thing is that the mountain or the plains were really only endless corpse runs when you have prior biome gear on. If you are on the mountains with full wolf armor, or in the plains with full padded armor, you have a pretty decent fighting chance against whatever is there.

If you have full mage armor, you will get one shot by seeker soldiers. If you have full carapace armor you will get 2 shot. With the added penalty that seeker soldiers will knock you back constantly, so that if you are fighting them on one of the endless little islands, they will keep knocking you into the water and you will drown or not regen stamina. Or, worse yet, you'll get destroyed on your boat between the billion little islands (if you are sailing and ticks aggro on you but can't get to you, they will attack your boat from under the water so you can't attack them from inside the boat).

If you’re wearing full mage armor you should probably be running staff of protection at all times which can soak seeker soldier swings no problem. If you’re in Carapace armor and doing more of a warrior build, seeker soldiers are easiest to handle by just javelin tossing at their joints or arbalesting them.

Seeker Soldiers are slow as anything and regularly tar pit themselves by doing their tantrum attack. Respond accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i think my only real gripe with the mistlands is that the mist is annoying and its kind of a shame because the biome looks very cool when you can actually see further than 5 feet in front of you. the actually challenging enemies are a nice change of pace.

oh, and also the hit detection on terrain of varied elevation is bullshit

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah our server has found a few large areas without mist and they look INCREDIBLE. These magnificent views of jutting rock and bright green trees. I dig the biome as it is but it really feels like a missed opportunity to pull back the curtain and show the beauty of an area that is initially so brutal. Let us upgrade mistlights and build mistwards so we can carve out these beautiful sections of the nightmare.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Yeah our server has found a few large areas without mist and they look INCREDIBLE. These magnificent views of jutting rock and bright green trees. I dig the biome as it is but it really feels like a missed opportunity to pull back the curtain and show the beauty of an area that is initially so brutal. Let us upgrade mistlights and build mistwards so we can carve out these beautiful sections of the nightmare.

This already exists btw. Wisp torches act as stationary 'permanent' mist clearers.

It's a deliberate design choice that wisp torches don't need a workbench. You're supposed to build them on the go to carve paths.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 31, 2022

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The problem is that their radius is tiny. Players should be able to build the big powerful ones that pre-exist by dwarf structures and mines, those clear a really large area and it looks great.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah wisp torches are terrible. You should be able to build stuff like the torches at the Dwarven settlements permanently clear out a valley that you are doing sap or farming stuff at if you wanted to invest the time and resources. The parts of mistlands that are just naturally clear are gorgeous.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah they haven’t made a noticeable impact, probably because I always have my wisp light on and it’s clearing a larger area.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sixto Lezcano posted:

yeah i built a house on top of a tall island, it overlooks a bay with a big ruined bridge pillar. there's no mist and it looks great

im not a fan of the zone otherwise

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When people complain about the difficulty of the mist I wonder if they played the most recent balance patch? Right when the biome first came out the spawn rate for the big monsters in the mist was so heavy it was almost rare to not have to fight more than one every few minutes And it was rare to fight a gjall without a soldier aggroing in.

Since the patch it's rare to actually have the fight either if you don't want to. Gjall are rare and easy to avoid, and soldiers can't climb a pebble. By now the regular star seekers are the only real threat.

In particular I find soldiers easier to deal with than lox or golems. With the current balance patch I think you just need to respect the biome and not try and fight everything, only go in if you're stocked up on healing, stamina potions and food, etc.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

When people complain about the difficulty of the mist I wonder if they played the most recent balance patch? Right when the biome first came out the spawn rate for the big monsters in the mist was so heavy it was almost rare to not have to fight more than one every few minutes And it was rare to fight a gjall without a soldier aggroing in.

Since the patch it's rare to actually have the fight either if you don't want to. Gjall are rare and easy to avoid, and soldiers can't climb a pebble. By now the regular star seekers are the only real threat.

In particular I find soldiers easier to deal with than lox or golems. With the current balance patch I think you just need to respect the biome and not try and fight everything, only go in if you're stocked up on healing, stamina potions and food, etc.

"It was even worse" isn't really a counter-argument to "It still needs work"

What's more, I don't think anyone needs to be trying to counter-argue with "I don't enjoy this biome" cause what are you even trying to accomplish?

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 31, 2022

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Some people, especially those that play with friends, probably don't want to see the biome made any easier. Pretty much all of the complaints articulated in the thread can be addressed with some basic preparation. "I lost my wisp light this biome sucks" is not really a valid position because wisp lights are basically free and there's no reason not to have a few backups. This is the seventh biome and if you haven't learned how to make preparations in case of a death then I hope the devs don't cater to your opinion.

"This is too hard" and "no it's not" are equally valid.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If anything I think practically the mistlands is easier to get stuff out of than a lot of other biomes.

There's only one item in the entire biome that can't go through a portal and it's an item you're not really wanting to take out of the mist anyways. I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at the game, I probably died at least 20 times. Genuinely, though, short of the actual boss fight which I haven't done yet I think this new biome is fairly forgiving now if you always keep a portal in your back pocket.

The biggest thing that helped me was realizing I don't really need a lot of inventory space to carry poo poo because everything goes through portals.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Do the wisp torches dispel the mist?

Edit: I also find it helpful to zoom way in while in the mistlands. I usually am at max zoom out so I can watch for deathsquitos, etc. and had trouble being obscured even with a wisp light.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've probably spent more time in mistlands than anyone since I'm doing a big building project. The balance patch was a huge change. That being said, mistlands is really weird and a big departure from the other biomes

First off, gjalls are still a threat due to the ticks , unless you're using magic. If you're trying to use a bow, stamina management is a big problem. With magic you just switch to an aoe weapon, use it, cleared and back to casting

It's a pretty empty biome once you explore a lot. You can hear nearly every threat and using wisp lights is barely necessary since their radius is so drat small anyways.

The biggest threat is finding an infested mine. These are always guarded on the outside by 3-4 seekers, usually with 1 star one. They will aggro from out of wisplight range and it can be a big problem. This is especially bad in a boat where you don't want to be recasting a shield spell every two minutes and constantly eating eitr food

All that being said, it seems like you really aren't supposed to be in the mistlands. It's the only biome after meadows where you can just portal out the important resources. Need sap and shrooms? Set up a farm and spend 30 seconds harvesting then leave.
And the weird thing is when you do live in it like I am, it's just..empty. Gjalls show up, so do seekers, but they're rare.

The big problem is how bad ballistas + lights interact. Hostiles beeline for lights, And ballistas cant hit poo poo. So my valley I clear out of mist gets broken lights, I go fix them and immediately get jumped on by a half dozen ticks I forgot were in the mist from a prior gjall fight. Every death I've had since the patch has been this type of ambush when I'm repairing. I just spend all my time on spires otherwise, where gjalls miss 90% of their shots and can't drop ticks on me.

Frankly mist just needs to be cleared permanently, or let you build the dverger lights. The basic ones just suck. Maybe I can encase them in marble and see if the mist stays cleared.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I saw someone talking about an alternate attack with the ice and fire staffs. Are there nova type attacks? If so I can't figure out how to do them.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Some people, especially those that play with friends, probably don't want to see the biome made any easier. Pretty much all of the complaints articulated in the thread can be addressed with some basic preparation. "I lost my wisp light this biome sucks" is not really a valid position because wisp lights are basically free and there's no reason not to have a few backups. This is the seventh biome and if you haven't learned how to make preparations in case of a death then I hope the devs don't cater to your opinion.

I like how I list a number of issues with the biome and it gets strawmanned and boiled down to the wisplight one. You know, it is ok for people to not enjoy the game the same way you do.

First time I went into the swamps, my friends and I spent like 2 hours trying to recover our bodies. Trying to raft our way away from leeches, blobs, etc. The first night, when the first wraith appeared, is probably when I fell in love with the game.

And then as gear progressed, I could spend hours exploring the swamp without fear.

First time I went into the plains, I had to corpse run over 12 times because of a single deathsquito. Eventually I tame a literal lox army and could stand naked in the middle of plains and collect endless dark iron.

And I know how to deal with seekers, seeker soldiers, gjalls and all the rest. But there will still be a moment where I will be on a boat in the middle of the mist, and they will aggro, destroy the boat, and ill be left to fight them in one of the million little islands. My complaint isn't that it is too hard. It's that it's not worth the hassle. I don't enjoy the limited visibility. I don't enjoy the million little islands with enemies that knock you back. I don't enjoy that enemies will camp your corpse rather than go back to its pathing (though its likely not actual corpse camping, just that since they don't path like wolves and fullings they just hang around). It's fine if you do.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
When did a A Foul Smell turn from skeletons and Daugurs to wall-jumping slimes? Just had a 2-star boar farm wiped to zero because of AoE attacks and fuckers that can jump three storey vertical.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Some people, especially those that play with friends, probably don't want to see the biome made any easier.

That's funny because the three people I was playing with gave up and quit after we arrived at mistlands and started dying over and over and corpse recoveries became impossible due to low visibility and terrible terrain and the mobs that relentlessly pursue you through said terrain.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Pretty much all of the complaints articulated in the thread can be addressed with some basic preparation. "I lost my wisp light this biome sucks" is not really a valid position because wisp lights are basically free and there's no reason not to have a few backups. This is the seventh biome and if you haven't learned how to make preparations in case of a death then I hope the devs don't cater to your opinion.

I think this is a pretty dumb thing to say. I have 500 hours in this game and I think I know how to play well? The issues described by various posters aren't about basic preparation at all. Because, for example, regardless of whether you have a wisplight, you can't see further than 20 feet most of the time and can easily aggro a pack of mobs that can gently caress you up. And if you decide to bail, you're likely to run into a dead end and get hosed, or find yourself in the arms of another pack.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Like, the issue isn't actually the biome's difficulty per se. The transition from black forest to swamp was a much bigger spike in difficulty than the one from plains to mistlands. In the swamps you have to worry about draughr (which can cut through even upgraded bronze armor like cake), leeches that can gently caress you up if you stay in the puddles for too long, oozes that can poison you, ghosts that descend on you from above at night, abominations that can pop out of the ground... and there's creature spawners all over! The difference is that if you play carefully, you can avoid most of these threats, or at least retreat if a situation gets hairy. Mistlands is simply annoying as hell.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, I was enjoying playing this for awhile, but I went exploring and hosed up by dying on a different continent without building a temporary hut, and on the first corpse raft I was trying to build my hut too close and got eaten by a ghost, and on the second my raft got attacked by a sea serpent and I drowned, so at this point just absolutely gently caress this game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

you should really just respawn with your gear on instead of naked

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Shibawanko posted:

you should really just respawn with your gear on instead of naked

There are mods for that. Just go install them. It's cool and good.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
its kinda fun when you can recover and keep going on the strict ruleset

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I've always preferred to try and play by the rules as intended when I can, too. Losing all of your stuff when you die isn't a flaw in the game or anything.

I'm not going to judge people for wanting to make things easier or whatever, of course. That's why I also support adding in a bunch of sliders for XP rates and gathering amounts and such like every other game in the genre has, so you don't have to do as much modding to tweak the experience.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Honestly if I'm tweaking difficulty variables in a game 99% of the time that game is dead to me and I'm just doing it to burn through to the end of it. I like to "play by the rules" as you say. The rules being set by someone else and me having to work within them is a huge part of the gaming experience to me. If I'm tweaking things then it's all Calvin Ball and it just doesn't feel the same to me. I'll play by the rules, and if I don't like the rules then I don't like the game and I'll move on. If a rule makes me not like the game then it's a bad rule (to me) and the ability to turn the rule off isn't going to fix that.

This isn't an argument against options, just that options are not universal solutions.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i honestly prefer to play by the rules but when playing solo corpse runs can be a real pain

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I wouldn't mind a once-in-a-while ability or expensive sacrifice to recover a corpse from afar. You'd want to attempt a corpse run but now you have an emergency option if you've gotten into an impossible/overly tedious situation.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Phigs posted:

Honestly if I'm tweaking difficulty variables in a game 99% of the time that game is dead to me and I'm just doing it to burn through to the end of it. I like to "play by the rules" as you say. The rules being set by someone else and me having to work within them is a huge part of the gaming experience to me. If I'm tweaking things then it's all Calvin Ball and it just doesn't feel the same to me. I'll play by the rules, and if I don't like the rules then I don't like the game and I'll move on. If a rule makes me not like the game then it's a bad rule (to me) and the ability to turn the rule off isn't going to fix that.

This isn't an argument against options, just that options are not universal solutions.

I would love to play by this game's rules, but if I'm honest, I have to admit that it's really just Calvinball all the way down.

I've run into multiple issues where the developer's intent has clashed with what I'd call fun or fair, like the vanilla inventory, how melee weapons (don't) work on slopes, or how smelters/kilns/furnaces (don't) work indoors. The solution in every case has been to mod the problem away, which IMO isn't how it should be.

I say this as someone that actually enjoys solving some of the challenges imposed by the design choices in Valheim, like how you have to use boats to transport ore or harpoon sea serpents so their loot doesn't drop to the bottom of the ocean.

I feel like I would enjoy the game a lot more than I ever have if there were more inventory slots, or if they'd fix the drat melee hit boxes on slopes, or if you you could get a warning when you're about to build something that's going to choke your smelter into not working.

I've got grievances with other design decisions, like how you can't plant more than one crop at a time, or how you can't plant berry bushes, but I could at least conceptualize an argument against changing those systems. For those, it seems that the best way to improve would be to provide an option for the player to change them, even if it's the sort of thing that can only be changed at worldgen.

Some things are just not going to be preferred by all players, and that's fine. The ore/portal thing is another obvious example. IMO excluding a certain segment of the player base that would prefer to play the game one way, while implicitly saying that this other group is doing it the 'right way' is really lame.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

anatomi posted:

I wouldn't mind a once-in-a-while ability or expensive sacrifice to recover a corpse from afar. You'd want to attempt a corpse run but now you have an emergency option if you've gotten into an impossible/overly tedious situation.

This is where I’m at. The corpse run to this other continent is just so incredibly tedious even without the random unavoidable deaths. Let me save, like, four things from my corpse from afar, so at least I’m not looking at a complete reset if I can’t get there, or so I don’t have to start from literal sticks and stones to get there.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

rjmccall posted:

This is where I’m at. The corpse run to this other continent is just so incredibly tedious even without the random unavoidable deaths. Let me save, like, four things from my corpse from afar, so at least I’m not looking at a complete reset if I can’t get there, or so I don’t have to start from literal sticks and stones to get there.

Yeah, but one could (and likely would) argue that preparing to mitigate these losses beforehand is a part of the game.

The other day, my wife and I were playing on our own, separately from the server we play on with our friends. It was kind of a world reset, except we had all of our gear. At one point, we built a boat and went sailing, and I remember saying to her that we could prepare for this trip, or we could roll the dice with it, meaning that we might lose all of our gear in the sea.

We just sailed and hoped for the best and thankfully nothing happened, but we always had the option to make a potential great loss a minor one.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Part of the danger of exploring the unknown is the potential to get set back if you don't manage the risk, it isn't even a permanent setback because you can come back at any time if you just mark it on your map and you more than likely have materials to make backup gear safely at home.

You should bring portal supplies when you are on your boat, it shouldn't take that long to walk from your portal to where you died, just plop it down on the coast when you land.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

agreed with the "risk management" opinions, but also I don't disagree with the expensive corpse retrieval option, depending on how carefully it's implemented. While I don't hate the concept of a good old fashioned corpse run, they have been the end of several of my sessions in a "gently caress this I'll do that tomorrow" manner. It would have to cost a resource that can't be stockpiled, and one that wasn't just Mistlands materials because that would make future problems when you can just stomp all over the mistlands with later, better gear and have infinite corpse retrievals. Maybe it could take time? That way you could still do the corpse run if you need your poo poo right now, but otherwise the penalty for loving up would still be more than losing 2 stacks of the 80 stacks of whatever material you have

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You should bring portal supplies when you are on your boat, it shouldn't take that long to walk from your portal to where you died, just plop it down on the coast when you land.

this is why I build so much infrastructure, as a solo or when I'm in groups. I'm always building little tiny satellite bases with basic defenses, a portal, a small shack with a few beds, some storage, and spare food/boat building supplies lol. I didn't go into my first mistlands at all until I had a FOB up on its border to launch expeditions from.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 1, 2023

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, I gave it another shot, and I diligently made a couple huts on both sides of the ocean and then managed to snag my corpse away from the fire imps and other swampfolk. Not as bad as I was dreading, although a troll did chase me off my first hut attempt. So I have un-given up on the game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

trolls are jerks

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My main base is where it is because of a corpse run and some of the most fun I've had in this game are corpse runs.

The XP loss is a real bitch though. I'd probably be level 50+ in everything if it wasn't for the fact that I die a ton.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah i think i've hit level 63 Run probably at least 5-6 times

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

trolls are jerks

trolls are valuable and diligent miners and lumbermen and I will not have you slander them

Eifert Posting posted:

My main base is where it is because of a corpse run and some of the most fun I've had in this game are corpse runs.

That moment when your gravestone is finally in sight, you stop, hide behind a rock and go "alright how the gently caress am I going to do this?" has led to some of the best moments in this game.

Some of the worst too.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 2, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've put like five full stacks of troll leather in the big zappy thing by now because I don't have anything else to do with it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm running Epic Loot and Creature Level and Loot Control to counteract each other. Set Epic Loot to materials only, set CLLC to three stars max and increase with distance from 0,0. Keeps the early difficulty curve largely the same, adds the fun layer of enchants, and tampers the power curve of Epic Loot at the end.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wow i finally gave an atgier a try and man, these are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

queeb posted:

wow i finally gave an atgier a try and man, these are good

The spin attack does a perplexingly enormous amount of impact. Stagger a Lox in one spin? Yeah sure why not.