Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ijyt posted:

Not sure I particularly care to listen to someone who calls crop "extra" reach, as if cropping full frame shots wasn't a thing.

How do you crop a 30 megapixel full frame sensor to 32 megapixels (can 5dIV to the canon R7)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ijyt posted:

Not sure I particularly care to listen to someone who calls crop "extra" reach, as if cropping full frame shots wasn't a thing.

That's fine, choose who you want to watch. There are dozens of these with the same results.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
How is Fuji's out of camera jpegs these days? My iphone 13 was wiping the floor with my Fuji XT1 when taking indoor family pictures over the holidays. I'm capable of some photo editing but it was certainly nice to not have to edit or set up flash for photos with a Christmas tree in it. I've been mulling over newer Fuji body to use the lenses I have, or getting a cheap Full Frame body I can to use the weird old film lenses I have.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The film simulations and resulting JPGs is one of the biggest reasons to choose Fuji these days. They're very good and can emulate drat near any film stock or lightroom preset you want them to.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I love the jpgs on my X-T30. My only beef is the film “recipes” can sometimes make skin tones a bit goofy in an otherwise good photo. The in camera simulations are nice, though. Hard to go wrong with Acros.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They’re still good, and they’ve added a ton of profiles in the past two generations - they’re still the big reason to invest in the Fuji system.

The other improvement is low-light performance, few things will do the magic that newer iPhones can do computationally, the second and third-gen sensors have pretty usable high-ISO performance. Like web usable over ISO 12,000.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

aricoarena posted:

How is Fuji's out of camera jpegs these days? My iphone 13 was wiping the floor with my Fuji XT1 when taking indoor family pictures over the holidays. I'm capable of some photo editing but it was certainly nice to not have to edit or set up flash for photos with a Christmas tree in it. I've been mulling over newer Fuji body to use the lenses I have, or getting a cheap Full Frame body I can to use the weird old film lenses I have.

It doesn't really sound like you need a new camera. What's wrong with sticking with the iphone if it takes good photos? Huge plus in not wasting time processing.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Mods? This person is suggesting that all of us don’t always need another camera.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

FWIW I got an X-T5 for Christmas and the out of the box noise reduction (0) + 12500 iso was making people look pretty waxy [editors note: we also wonder if this is a side effect of the newer 40mpx sensor]. On the plus side, the IBIS really does what it says on the tin, and allows for several stops slower shutter speeds than the older X-T bodies (or, at least better than my X-T3).

However for pictures of moving subjects or anything else where you need at least 1/60 indoors, it definitely feels like the iPhone takes better shots without having to think about it too much (flash + bounce + tweaking NR, etc).

That said, I still think a lot of the images coming out of even the more recent iPhones look like they were taken at Madam Tussaud’s.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

bobmarleysghost posted:

It doesn't really sound like you need a new camera. What's wrong with sticking with the iphone if it takes good photos? Huge plus in not wasting time processing.

There are aspects of a "real" camera I prefer to the cell phone and I don't mind processing for things I care about. The iPhone happens to be super convenient for low light or harshly back lit stuff, or just for knowing what to do with a snap shot of people.

harperdc posted:

few things will do the magic that newer iPhones can do computationally

I'm mostly curious about this since I have not paid attention to cameras in the last 9 years. If anyone was doing that level of processing in camera?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

aricoarena posted:

I'm mostly curious about this since I have not paid attention to cameras in the last 9 years. If anyone was doing that level of processing in camera?

They're two different markets I think.

If you're buying a smartphone for its photography abilities, there's an assumption you want to point, shoot and have something ready to chuck up on Insta even if it looks a bit artificial.

If you're buying a dedicated camera, especially one with interchangeable lenses, there's an assumption you're probably going to edit the RAWs later.

The likes of Apple, Google and Samsung can afford to invest in their AI-powered magic and a lot of that runs remotely on the cloud, meaning it requires a permanent data connection - something cameras don't tend to have. Sure you could tether a camera to your phone's connection, but if you're trying to market a stand-alone camera and you have to put a giant asterisk next to key features that says "only works with your phone, soz" then it's not really standalone, and consumers will rightly wonder why they should buy this over a better phone. This is also why the middle-ground of compact cameras with fixed lenses is mostly in decline.

Mostly.

As others have mentioned, Fuji has built themselves a unique ecosystem around their APS-C format X-Trans sensor where they have both mirrorless CSCs like the X-T series, but also fixed-lens cameras using the same sensor like the X100V.

As part of this, they've long provided film sims/digital filters in-camera, and have a reputation for very good out-of-camera JPEGs. They also have basic RAW editing functionality built into the camera, e.g. you can shoot in RAW, use the in-camera tools to raise shadows, warm the image up, apply a film sim etc, all without making destructive changes to the original image, then upload to Insta (via companion app on your phone).

Basically Fuji have decided to walk a slightly strange path where their fixed lens cameras have capabilities more usually associated with CSCs, and vice versa. Seems to be working for them, and it's the closest you'll get to iPhone-style low light images in a standalone camera. You'll still have to push a few menu buttons, but you won't need to fire up lightroom on a laptop unless you want to do more advanced stuff.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think the big difference is that you can do the same corrections on the files that come out of dedicated cameras [I don’t put a lot of faith in the machine learning/AI buzzwords, most of it is just level adjustment] but it’s not going to do them by default. This has downsides, like when we had the orange “doomsky” and everyone’s cell phones made it look beige because of auto white balance.

A lot of the best cell phone photographers shoot RAW and do the same amount of processing as you would a camera photo.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

That's also a fair point. Most modern phones can shoot raw, and there are plenty of apps (even free ones like Snapseed) that can edit them on the device.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

a phone will never match a dedicated camera because a proper camera allows you to make decisions about photos that are otherwise left to chance with a phone (that WB example above is one good example of many)

unless you use an app on the phone that lets you make those decisions

try a fancy phone camera app before dropping serious coin on a camera

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

a phone will never match a dedicated camera because a proper camera allows you to make decisions about photos that are otherwise left to chance with a phone (that WB example above is one good example of many)

unless you use an app on the phone that lets you make those decisions

try a fancy phone camera app before dropping serious coin on a camera

Samsung (and probably everything else) has a 'pro' mode that let's you fiddle with all that stuff. The interface is trash though. I like knobs and dials. I personally find the ergonomics of shooting on a phone to be similarly trash as well. But it's "good enough" for most stuff. I use my phone for pictures of poo poo for work, pictures of the tacos I ate, and snaps of random amusing or interesting things I might see when I'm out. I get the fuji out when I'm feeling creative and want to take photos with some thought behind them, confident the output will look better by default than what I'm willing to endure sliding sliders in lightroom (which I don't even have anymore since it went subscription). They're different tools for different jobs.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I mean the default camera app on my Samsung S10e (hardly the latest and greatest phone) provides manual control over ISO, shutter speed, focus and white balance (color temp + g/p tint) as well as tailoring the contrast, saturation and highlight & shadow recovery. The only reason it doesn't do manual aperture is both lenses are fixed aperture. As mentioned above, the interface for it is terrible though.

What you'll definitely never get on a phone in the foreseeable future is the image fidelity you get from a standalone camera, in multiple ways.

Sensor size determines how much light can be gathered - the larger the sensor the more light you get so the lower the amplification/gain (ISO) needs to be so the cleaner (less noisy) the image is. A cleaner image also means more information captured, so more detail can be recovered from highlights and shadows when processing the raw data.

Sensor size (along with aperture) also determines depth-of-field range. The larger the sensor the shallower the DOF so the more you can blur things in front or behind what you've focused on. Phones have small sensors, which is why they have to fake this effect - see "portrait mode". It's passable and good enough for what most people want, but also obviously fake to anyone who knows what it really should look like.

So... why not just slap an APS-C or even full frame sensor in a phone? Well apart from the cost, sensor size is also a key factor in the equation that determines minimum distance between the sensor and the back of the lens. The larger the sensor, the larger the distance and even for APS-C it's typically around 18mm which is twice the thickness of many phones - and that's before you consider the size of the lens itself. Even the simplest, flattest lenses for APS-C format cameras protrude another 20-30mm from the camera body at least, so... yeah.

Everything is a compromise between size & image quality (and price), it all comes down to what you want to achieve and what's important to you.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Yeah I mean I hate using the photo apps that allow control because the interfaces are terrible

But maybe someone else will like it and save some money

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I noticed Canon has an AI processing app available for download now. I'm not sure how that will help after the fact, though, since phones will take multiple exposures of certain areas of the image and merge on the fly so your sky isn't destroyed because the sun is center frame, while the subject is still perfectly vibrant and bright and your sky is a nice sea blue.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One of my hopes for cameras is that they get more programmable, like why can't I make my own [or more likely download someone else's] film simulation? And not some "recipe" where you tweak 3 settings slightly, major changes like posterization, duo/tritones, inverted curves, let people get weird. Or programmable multiple exposures with different shutter speed/aperture ranges, etc. for effects beyond focus/exposure stacking like a flashless front curtain effect. The camera manufacturers are bad at software and they're getting their butts kicked by the people that aren't, even with the vastly inferior optics of cell phones.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Cameras are capable of being programmable already. You can flash your own custom firmware, the manufacturers just don't like it as out of date software is part of the desire to upgrade.

Even Fuji have stopped updating their older gear.

qirex posted:

The camera manufacturers are bad at software and they're getting their butts kicked by the people that aren't, even with the vastly inferior optics of cell phones.

They are all Japanese. It's a culture thing. Hardware they are the best in the world, software they are decades behind.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah, Fuji has barely even updated the X-Pro3.

As someone that became a Fuji user with the X-E2 it's been a wildly different experience in terms of firmware with the Pro3. I think there are now 3 or 4 new film simulations that haven't been ported over to the most recent x-camera with "Pro" in the name. I love the camera and x-system but feature rich firmware updates are certainly not a reason to buy into Fuji anymore.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I think the X-Pro3 didn't even get the X-T4 autofocus update that the X-T3 got.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

aricoarena posted:

Not nearly the same level, but Olympus/OM has computational photography features that other manufacturers do not. I don't agree that it's a wholly different market - after all, it's not only about AI making decisions, there are useful computational features for all sorts of photographers. I imagine other manufacturers will have to catch up at some point to stay competitive, but Google and Apple had a huge head start building those teams.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Even though traditional cameras use digital sensors and all that jazz, they're primarily optical devices. Smartphones are computers with an optical sensor, so naturally are going leverage their computing power to manipulate whatever the sensor captures.
As a pretty lovely analogy, it's like the difference between a regular watch and a smartwatch. Both will tell the time equally well, in most circumstances, but telling time isn't why you get a smartwatch, and most of the things a smartwatch can do get in the way of just telling the time, so if what you want is a device designed just for telling the time, you're better served by a regular watch.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Mega Comrade posted:

As an X-T30 shooter I’m annoyed that they didn’t give me Classic Negative in a firmware update, but the X-T30 ii gets it despite being almost the same drat camera. I feel like I’m being punished despite being an earlier adopter to the brand.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Panasonic released a S5II, with phase detection af. Seemed to be on par with sony a7iii/iv, in video it was snappier than r6ii. Ef lenses with sigma mc-21 adapter seemed to work great in af-c (they didn't work at all before), and af speed was insane with the adapter compared to cdaf. Personally I own S1 with mc-21 and it has the absolutely shittiest and slowest af ever. Very good if ef lenses finally work great with the new pdaf system.

Can't wait for an S1II..

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Yeah the S5 2 X looks like a beast, and should do really well. But, 4k60 cropped is still a bummer. I love my S5, and used it for everything from corporate work to wildlife photography, but the auto focus would drive me insane. I've moved over to a Z9 now just for something a bit more robust in all areas, but may look at one of these new ones as a B cam. Panasonic is finally going to give the other big guns a run for their money. Good to see.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just wanna say that the connectivity between my Canon EOS R and my iPhone SE2 is absolute dogshit

using the app to remote shoot, I got to about 6 meters before the connection cut out. I've NEVER had good luck with it, even at a metre or two its pretty bad. It legit pisses me off how rubbish it is.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Is there a single camera that connects to smartphones smoothly?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thoren posted:

‘Smoothly’ is relative, the Canon M I had did alright, and the Fuji X-T20 I have now is okay depending on how the app behaves. Sometimes it’s on a bad update.

But the thing these two have in common is using wifi as opposed to Bluetooth. I have not had success with my wife’s Fuji using Bluetooth, but have with wifi.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Thoren posted:

Purportedly, the Leica app is supposed to be really good

but lmao @ owning a digital leica

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Ricoh app is pretty reliable but the Fuji one somehow keeps getting worse.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

ishikabibble posted:

Purportedly, the Leica app is supposed to be really good

but lmao @ owning a digital leica

There was controversy when it launched because they charged money for it lol

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Does anyone in this forum shoot a digital Leica?

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I've been toying with the idea of going into debt for a Q2 Monochrom. I'd be loathed among mortals, but hated by the Leica Gods.

Ihmemies posted:

Panasonic released a S5II, with phase detection af. Seemed to be on par with sony a7iii/iv, in video it was snappier than r6ii. Ef lenses with sigma mc-21 adapter seemed to work great in af-c (they didn't work at all before), and af speed was insane with the adapter compared to cdaf. Personally I own S1 with mc-21 and it has the absolutely shittiest and slowest af ever. Very good if ef lenses finally work great with the new pdaf system.

Can't wait for an S1II..

I just watched some videos on this camera. How is this not the best value for a hybrid mirrorless camera today? Is there some kind of catch? Are the lenses overpriced?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The S5 was already a great hybrid camera if you could deal with contrast based autofocus, so no surprise that adding it makes for a compelling option. The S1H has been great for me and I'm strongly considering the S5II as a replacement. Lens pricing seems fine to me, though a bit less selection for specifically Panasonic glass. Buuuut, I also hear the siren song of Nikon and keep thinking they might come out with some kind of in-between the Z9 and Z7II.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Oh the Z8 is coming for sure. But probably won't be announced until march and then you won't be able to buy it until 2024.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thoren posted:

I've been toying with the idea of going into debt for a Q2 Monochrom. I'd be loathed among mortals, but hated by the Leica Gods.

I just watched some videos on this camera. How is this not the best value for a hybrid mirrorless camera today? Is there some kind of catch? Are the lenses overpriced?

Dunno. Prices I've paid:

- S1 from panamoz.com 1800€ in spring 2020.

Then I've bought lenses during the years:
- Sigma 85/1.4 DG DN 1150e new?
- Sigma 35/1.4 DG DN 500€ used
- Sigma 24mm 1.4 DG DN 890€ new?
- Panasonic 50/1.8 from BF sale, 200€ new
- Panasonic 50mm/1.4 from new year's sale, 1300€ new..

S1's grip was maybe 150e used. 2 Patona batteries & charger were maybe 80€. I think Sigma MC-21 adapter was 150€.

Originally I bought the camera to use it with manual focus nikon lenses. Somehow I ended up trying AF lenses, maybe because my keeper rates was only 30-40% due to misfocuses. AF lenses fixed the issue, and I don't really have complaints about the contrast detection af.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

qirex posted:

One of my hopes for cameras is that they get more programmable, like why can't I make my own [or more likely download someone else's] film simulation? And not some "recipe" where you tweak 3 settings slightly, major changes like posterization, duo/tritones, inverted curves, let people get weird. Or programmable multiple exposures with different shutter speed/aperture ranges, etc. for effects beyond focus/exposure stacking like a flashless front curtain effect. The camera manufacturers are bad at software and they're getting their butts kicked by the people that aren't, even with the vastly inferior optics of cell phones.

You might be able to get close to the experience you describe with the Zeiss ZX1!

(If you don’t remember the extremely brief moment of hype, it’s the one with Lightroom mobile built in.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Thoren posted:

I keep an SD card reader with my camera stuff and plugging that into my phone is 1000000% more reliable than apps.