Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

smug jeebus posted:

Has anyone read the Cursed City book and has an opinion on it?

I have. Unfortunately, the story is kind of constrained since it's a boardgame tie-in. The main characters are cartoony and the plot feels random from time to time, with chases going on a lot. It stars slow and picks up later, but the end feels lacking.

The really big highlight of the book is the gothic setting. The city feels alive with lore and history as a vampire-infested settlement full of necromantic magic going around. Descriptions are pretty good and there are frequent glimpses from the inhabitants of the place. Also, some side characters are very interesting and their motivations and conflicts more entertaining than the main plot.

I'd rate this book 2.5 stars out of 5. Not the worst book I've read, but with only a few really great spots in a package of boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Thank you, I had heard it ends without a conclusion but I was okay with that because I'm going to (hopefully) be playing through it soon, but if it's not that good overall I'll probably pass.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Floppychop posted:

I look forward to local people pronouncing it as "ar-bites".

No way in hell am I pronouncing Arbites as rhyming with equities. :colbert:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
root and tooty point and shooty

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Started some Warmaster Tomb Kings, although they're nowhere near the level of those amazing Skaven above:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
holy poo poo those are incredible!

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
I love these Warmaster minis! You guys are brilliant!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Dragonshirt posted:

I love these Warmaster minis! You guys are brilliant!

Everyone here is an absolute inspiration you guys rule

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

God drat, those 10mm tomb kings look better than my 28mm tomb kings. That's some seriously good painting there, Guardian.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

:getin:

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

If I last played Blood Bowl 20 or so years ago (so the 1994 release) is the current version of the rules fundamentally different from what I would recognise or is it minor tweaks?

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Looks like GW leaked that we are indeed getting Arbites.
This is in the new Boarding Actions PDF they just released:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Now the question is, is the arbites a dedicated kill team or are they part of an inquisitorial agent team?

Also lol how would they have ended up on the gallowdark is an even better question

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Also lol how would they have ended up on the gallowdark is an even better question

Listen, when you're hot on the heels of a perp, you worry about things like "acting outside your jurisdiction" after you've got them in handcuffs. And buddy, they were HOT on the heels of these freaky bandage motherfuckers.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The entirety of Warhammer as a setting is an excuse for any and all of the factions to end up fighting each other so pick your poison from chasing someone, actively being sent there on purpose to extract someone or a bureaucratic fuckup. Maybe they were on a prison ship that got stuck in the warp, smashed into the space hulk and they've just been stuck as part of it for years, fighting all the while.

I must admit, the arbites seemingly being confirmed as the other option in the box is making this one seem like an easy skip already cause I'm not massively into the Dark Eldar so it was starting off from a bad point. Unless they're really, really cool in terms of gameplay, customizability and really different from the Vet Guards and Navy Breachers, they need to fulfil all those conditions and the terrain in the box has gotta be really, really good as well. Since I've just dipped my toe into Necromunda, some stuff with a bit of verticality would be great. A spaceship engine room type of thing with gantrys and stuff would be cool.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 3, 2023

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

smug jeebus posted:

Thank you, I had heard it ends without a conclusion but I was okay with that because I'm going to (hopefully) be playing through it soon, but if it's not that good overall I'll probably pass.

i listened to the audiobook while i painted up the miniatures. did the same thing with blackstone fortress, and i thought it was fun and kind of got me in the vibe to play the respective games. i barely remember the plot for the cursed city book though, and the blackstone fortress ones were way better. 2.5 out of 5 seems fair.

i think i’ve only read one warhammer book in my life but the audiobooks are worth it to help get immersed in the setting or whatever.

i wouldn’t actually read them though, just something thematic to listen to while i paint.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If I last played Blood Bowl 20 or so years ago (so the 1994 release) is the current version of the rules fundamentally different from what I would recognise or is it minor tweaks?

It is super similar to the old rules,

The biggest changes, Off the top of my head, is that theres a pass stat now and the changes to leveling up characters.
Along with all the new teams.

Other than that, if you know how to play old BB you shouldnt be lost playing this version.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Al-Saqr posted:

Someone called 911?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I gotta say though the idea of playing as a bunch of space cops fighting against a bunch of drug addled psycho torture freaks does sound pretty fun lol, heres hoping they make the terrain unique.

Also they just released a trailer for the arbites:-

https://youtu.be/Dy4YFDSDW4w

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Woop woop, that's the sound of the space police

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

AAAB

(USER WAS RENDERED TO STARCH FOR THIS POST)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Beerdeer posted:

Woop woop, that's the sound of the space police

Woop woop, that's the sound of the ARBITEEEES

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

thebardyspoon posted:

The entirety of Warhammer as a setting is an excuse for any and all of the factions to end up fighting each other

Yes, but given that, the limited jurisdiction and capabilities of the Arbites in the fluff is the reason why they haven't had a release since second edition. Calling them a '40k faction' is a real stretch by now. They just don't really fit into 40k, and it definitely seems strange for them to be chasing down Dark Eldar on a ship that's out in the void. Having them be against a chaos or genestealer cult would have made a great deal more sense.

But also: whatever, it doesn't matter! It's going to be very cool to see what they bring out for an Arbites kill team.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Started some Warmaster Tomb Kings, although they're nowhere near the level of those amazing Skaven above:

Amazing work!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Squibsy posted:

Yes, but given that, the limited jurisdiction and capabilities of the Arbites in the fluff is the reason why they haven't had a release since second edition. Calling them a '40k faction' is a real stretch by now. They just don't really fit into 40k, and it definitely seems strange for them to be chasing down Dark Eldar on a ship that's out in the void. Having them be against a chaos or genestealer cult would have made a great deal more sense.

But also: whatever, it doesn't matter! It's going to be very cool to see what they bring out for an Arbites kill team.

My assumption was they they're too Judge Dredd for today's legal climate so we'll see if that was the issue if they get a major redesign.

They're going after Deldar because they're going straight to the source of the space meth!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I thought the Inquisitor game made them the Space-FBI/Texas Ranger to the Inquisition's Space-CIA, 'retconning' the Necromunda figures to being called Enforcers who are a planetary police force slash planetary governor's goon squad.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LashLightning posted:

I thought the Inquisitor game made them the Space-FBI/Texas Ranger to the Inquisition's Space-CIA, 'retconning' the Necromunda figures to being called Enforcers who are a planetary police force slash planetary governor's goon squad.

Yeah, they are, and have been for some time. Enforcers are street level cops, and Arbites are an arm of Terra. Arbites can get called in to depose unruly planetary/system governors, put down planetary cults and insurrections, etc. They're the enforcers of the Inquisition and the Imperial Creed, effectively.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

arbites are definitely the Space FBI in the sense that they’re the arm of law enforcement that works directly for the “state” (I.e. the Imperium) rather than any local government unit (I.e. a single
planet or hive). Enforcers work for a planetary governor or hive high lord, Arbites work for the High Lords of Terra

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Really fun Warmaster battle report featuring a 3 way battle. its properly edited to a nice watchable 20 minutes instead of being two hours of neckbeards pushing their minis around with sausage fingers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPkqdio6fXM

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I did some concept art for Gallowdark SoulShackle lol

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Beyond perfection, and the inclusion of McGruff the Crime Abhuman is *chef's kiss*.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Beyond perfection, and the inclusion of McGruff the Crime Abhuman is *chef's kiss*.

Looooooolll i was sure no one was gonna catch that reference thanks!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

This is astounding

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Al-Saqr posted:

Also they just released a trailer for the arbites:-

https://youtu.be/Dy4YFDSDW4w

Lol, "Empire City". The pro-Imperialism is text, not subtext.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Al-Saqr posted:

The hobby hero we do not deserve. Amazing!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
And while I have all your attention, Necromunda question: are Chem-Synths one use, or can you just apply them every turn?

\/\/ Thank you! That's how we have been playing it.

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 6, 2023

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Lumpy posted:

And while I have all your attention, Necromunda question: are Chem-Synths one use, or can you just apply them every turn?

Every turn.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hihohe posted:

It is super similar to the old rules,

The biggest changes, Off the top of my head, is that theres a pass stat now and the changes to leveling up characters.
Along with all the new teams.

Other than that, if you know how to play old BB you shouldnt be lost playing this version.

I think it's significantly more than that right? My understanding was that the rules changed a lot in 2016, then a bit more in 2020.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Flea Bargain posted:

I think it's significantly more than that right? My understanding was that the rules changed a lot in 2016, then a bit more in 2020.

other way around. 2016 was only slightly different from the LRB version of the rules from about 2006ish, which would be the fourth or fifth edition of the game depending on how you count. most of the differences between LRB and 2016 are changes to specific models or teams rather than core rule changes.

2020 involved more significant changes that come up every single game. particularly to passing, rerolls, characters besides players on the pitch, star players, injuries, and leveling up your characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Oh interesting, I didn't know that. In that case, yeah you could probably jump into a 2022 game with your 1994 knowledge with minimal friction, which is pretty drat cool imo. I'm surprised the forums don't have a dedicated blood bowl thread, it seems pretty popular and will only get more so with Blood Bowl 3 coming in Feb.