Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

El Jeffe posted:

What's that

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Surrender%20Cobra

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ih=741&dpr=2.81

You see it all the time, especially in sports. Visiting player makes game winning play as time expires, entire crowd goes Surrender Cobra at the same time. Seems instinctive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I got a dash cam which came with some adhesive cable hooks to keep the power cable outta the way. However, they have trouble sticking to the materials on the dash of this 2015 Camry. (They stuck to the ceiling just fine though).
What's the best/easiest way to attach something to either that smooth glossy wood-colored plastic material down below the airbag, or the pleather above it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

El Jeffe posted:

What's that

Holding heads up to the back of your head like oh gently caress well guess my life is over now.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What're the codes for putting the HaHa Yes gangtag and the Bird Crazies gang tag on an avatar purchase?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SuperKlaus posted:

What're the codes for putting the HaHa Yes gangtag and the Bird Crazies gang tag on an avatar purchase?

Right click the image and you should be able to get the file names, then wrap it in [ img ] tags

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Got it, thanks :)

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Why does heat shrink shrink when heated? What manner of witchery is involved.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

Why does heat shrink shrink when heated? What manner of witchery is involved.

Oh that’s a really cool trip down the material science and organic chemistry rabbit hole. Can’t wait for someone else to chime in but iirc the last time I looked into this, the plastic is made of specific polymers. Polymers in general are very long organic molecules. When heat is applied to these polymers, they rearrange themselves into more compact forms, “shrinking” in the process.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm trying to find the font that's used in a lot of shitposts about powerpoint presentations, it's usually like yellow and....blue? with a 3d effect so the non yellow color is usually a drop shadow to its top left perspective, and the text usually goes diagonally to the top right perspective. Accompanied with lovely clipart

I tried looking for 3d, impact fonts etc but none seemed to turn up anything. Any ideas?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm trying to find the font that's used in a lot of shitposts about powerpoint presentations, it's usually like yellow and....blue? with a 3d effect so the non yellow color is usually a drop shadow to its top left perspective, and the text usually goes diagonally to the top right perspective. Accompanied with lovely clipart

I tried looking for 3d, impact fonts etc but none seemed to turn up anything. Any ideas?

are you talking about word art?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

EricBauman posted:

are you talking about word art?

looks like

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
What does this mean, what on earth did I do

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
You're trying to view a thread that your account doesn't have access to. Either the thread has been moved to another forum (like the mod forum or whatever) or your access to that specific forum has been removed.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

PiratePrentice posted:

You're trying to view a thread that your account doesn't have access to. Either the thread has been moved to another forum (like the mod forum or whatever) or your access to that specific forum has been removed.

Yes but...why. It's an e/n thread where you vent about whatever's bothering you. I can't look at the first post any more to see if I violated some rule. I'm going through a real hard time right now and I made a sad sack post but... Whatever I guess it doesn't really matter

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

artsy fartsy posted:

Yes but...why. It's an e/n thread where you vent about whatever's bothering you. I can't look at the first post any more to see if I violated some rule. I'm going through a real hard time right now and I made a sad sack post but... Whatever I guess it doesn't really matter

Probably someone posted some seriously uncool stuff, likely related to suicide, which the mods thought should probably not be seen by more people, so they moved it to the mod forum. In case that was you, you should probably check your PMs.

Also, the app has a dark mode.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
If I had to guess I'd say it's been moved to a storage forum and a new one made for the new year. Check the thread list for a new version, they've probably made one. Lots of threads get rebooted yearly.

Those types of threads usually aren't publically viewable after they're closed because people often regret having their posts easily accessible at a later date.

e: Is it this thread? It looks like it's been rebooted for 2023.

PiratePrentice fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 1, 2023

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

PiratePrentice posted:

If I had to guess I'd say it's been moved to a storage forum and a new one made for the new year. Check the thread list for a new version, they've probably made one. Lots of threads get rebooted yearly.

Those types of threads usually aren't publically viewable after they're closed because people often regret having their posts easily accessible at a later date.

e: Is it this thread? It looks like it's been rebooted for 2023.

This is correct. I've been on here since 2003 (twenty years, holy poo poo) and somehow managed to never run into one of these messages. Good reminder that I am not, in fact, the main character

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Depending on how you browse it's not a very common thing to run into, the chances that something gets moved to a different board while you're still reading it are pretty low generally.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I think some of the E/N threads get memory-holed for privacy reasons once they are closed.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah Strix said the braindump thread specifically gets moved to the mod forum rather than just locked, for privacy, when it gets its annual reboot

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

artsy fartsy posted:

What does this mean, what on earth did I do

:tinfoil:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Is there anywhere on the forum where you can post GoFundMes and the like if you want to try and get eyeballs on such a thing? Sometimes there's singular threads but that seems to be when it's wholly goon related, like the GoFundMe after Lowtax's suicide for his abused family.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pretty sure that’s no longer allowed due to people scamming.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

easy loophole, buy all the beneficiaries an account :getin:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

As long as it’s a hotdog stand

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
What word am I thinking about? (Disclaimer, I may be talking nonsense)

It sounds like “suppercation”

It means, leaking or oozing, like a boil or pimple that’s leaking fluid.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Extra row of tits posted:

What word am I thinking about? (Disclaimer, I may be talking nonsense)

It sounds like “suppercation”

It means, leaking or oozing, like a boil or pimple that’s leaking fluid.

Suppuration?

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Thank you!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Varden's supperating cuticles!

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Khizan posted:

Pretty sure that’s no longer allowed due to people scamming.

Sadly not surprised.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
A stupid, frustrating question I'd genuinely appreciate any help with:

Occasionally (multiple times per week) my Samsung smart TV will simply stop playing sound from YouTube. The TV itself still has sound (e.g. the menus, interface), all other connected apps and devices have sound, it's just YouTube. Sometimes ads will play just fine and then the main video won't have any sound. Sometimes both the ads and the video have no sound. Sometimes a video will play fine, hit an ad-break which plays fine, and then on return there's silence. It's as if the entire audio track is just missing when loading (or switching to) a video. Once the problem arises, no video (or autoplay ads) will have sound for up to hours at a time. Even trying to cast YouTube from a different device to the TV will still present the issue.

I've verified the issue happens whether or not I have my network-level adblocker enabled (pi-hole), it persists through YouTube app and TV restarts, and there's no discernible pattern as to when the audio shuts off (time of day, other network activity, order of app usage, et cetera). There aren't any firmware or software updates for my TV, and I went so far as to do a complete reset of the device. That last step seemed to resolve the problem for about two weeks until it came back tonight.

How can I make sure that I have sound when playing YouTube videos through/on my TV?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FreshFeesh posted:

How can I make sure that I have sound when playing YouTube videos through/on my TV?
Plug a laptop into it via HDMI and just use that to play the videos?

I know it's not the answer you want, but in my experience the quicker you give up on anything "smart" or wireless and just plug in a cable, the less time you end up wasting.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kedo posted:

I feel like I read something online (so therefore it is Fact) that .22s have been used for a lot of assassinations partially because they’re a small enough round that they penetrate the body but don’t have enough energy to exit the body. The bullet stays inside and bounces around and fucks stuff up worse than if it were to just cruise right through.

I have no idea whether or not this is true, or if this is actually why it has been used for assassinations vs. their relative ease of use/availability.

This is almost certainly a myth that was popularized by a Joe Pesci movie (Goodfellas, I think).

What are the medical sensors called that are put on your chest/stomach and look like a coiled telephone cable? I did a sleep study recently and I was thinking of all the sensors they put on me; I've seen these depicted in polygraph/lie detector scenes in movies also. There are usually two coiled cables, one high on your chest and one closer to your waist. Are these heart monitors of some sort, and how do they work?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Oh that reminds me - I've seen and heard of people with serious injury and or on the verge of unconsciousness being urged to stay awake and keep talking. Does this increase survivability at all?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tight aspirations posted:

Oh that reminds me - I've seen and heard of people with serious injury and or on the verge of unconsciousness being urged to stay awake and keep talking. Does this increase survivability at all?

I don't not a medical professional, but I feel like I've heard that at least for concussions, this advice is outdated. If the person feels like they need to go to sleep, I think the consensus now is that it's ok for them to do so.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The counterexample I can think of is if you're dying of hypothermia.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

tight aspirations posted:

Apart from what others have said, people being awake does help with giving them assistance.
I was also taught this during my first aid certification training ten (ish) years ago.
As long as they're talking, you can tell if they're still making sense (if they suddenly stop making sense, probably bad news!), and they can tell you where it hurts. Not all injuries may be obvious

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Yeah generally it's bad to go to sleep in a first aid situation, concussion or otherwise. Once someone is in the clear they will be allowed to sleep, but if you're taking them to more serious medical help then generally it's good to keep someone conscious.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I’m my wilderness first aid class just a year or two ago they told us to keep the person awake to make our assessment but that if they want to fall asleep after that it’s fine. The idea that concussion sleep = automatic coma doesn’t seem to have much support.

E: wilderness first aid also assumes rescue might not arrive for several hours/days, so that may have an impact on it as well.

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

This is almost certainly a myth that was popularized by a Joe Pesci movie (Goodfellas, I think).

What are the medical sensors called that are put on your chest/stomach and look like a coiled telephone cable? I did a sleep study recently and I was thinking of all the sensors they put on me; I've seen these depicted in polygraph/lie detector scenes in movies also. There are usually two coiled cables, one high on your chest and one closer to your waist. Are these heart monitors of some sort, and how do they work?

This high one is a respiration monitor to track your breathing. Not sure what the low one is for. I assume there’s some sort of current running through the coil that they measures changes to as it stretches out.