Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh that was me still talking Cosmopolis
I was saying that if you liked Cosmopolis even though it had artificial and novelistic dialogue because it was coming out of the mouth of robotic rich ghouls, that might not be any help for White Noise, which still has artificial and novelistic dialogue but this time it's not coming out of the mouth of robotic rich ghouls but middle class children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I was saying that if you liked Cosmopolis even though it had artificial and novelistic dialogue because it was coming out of the mouth of robotic rich ghouls, that might not be any help for White Noise, which still has artificial and novelistic dialogue but this time it's not coming out of the mouth of robotic rich ghouls but middle class children.

The film's talking about a sort of eighties death drive, isn't it? Soulless consumerism, branded medication, car crashes, etc. etc. So the dialogue makes sense if it's trying to evoke that sense of alienation.

I've only watched ten minutes of the film before I got busy suddenly, but it reminds me of stuff like Peter Carey's Bliss, which was doing the same sort of thing.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I did not like White Noise, but I think the biggest problem is that the trailer portrayed it to be a completely different type of movie.

Every remotely interesting scene was in the trailer. The rest of the movie was like a 2 hour version of an insufferable extended dialog segment of a Quarantino or Wes Anderson movie.

Except supermarket dance during the end credits. That part ruled.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I had a great time with Glass Onion but on the whole left me a little cold. it felt like a really talented imitator took over but didn't know how to write a mystery. having the villain essentially be Elon felt cheap and too contemporary. not worth giving up on having a good twist to instead get a cheap dig in.

cast was great though. no weak actors. wanted more Bautista.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Glass Onion: The villain wasn't Elon. He was a composite of a bunch of billionaires. In the time between the movie being written and filmed and when it was released, Elon basically turned himself into the villain. But it's not like the villain was modeled on Elon.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I watched white noise because a lot of people are talking about it. Its a pretty bad generic horror movie. Dunno why it suddenly got so popular. Not even Micheal Keaton could save it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I watched white noise because a lot of people are talking about it. Its a pretty bad generic horror movie. Dunno why it suddenly got so popular. Not even Micheal Keaton could save it.

I also thought everyone were suddenly rediscovering a movie from 2005

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Glass Onion: The villain wasn't Elon. He was a composite of a bunch of billionaires. In the time between the movie being written and filmed and when it was released, Elon basically turned himself into the villain. But it's not like the villain was modeled on Elon.

thats wild to me because Elon has publicly been that specific guy since 2016. obsessively clout chasing nerd loser has always been his shtick. the widespread recognizance of him as such is the only recent thing.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's Zuckermusk. He's got that Social Network DNA too with the stupid napkin stuff.

tbh I cant imagine zuckerberg having fake friends let alone friends.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 2, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's Zuckermusk. He's got that Social Network DNA too with the stupid napkin stuff.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Ahhh right okay. I guess Baumbach is a usual skip for me anyway (though tbf I still haven't seen Frances Ha).

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I enjoyed that version of White Noise far more.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
White Noise seems to think it's clever for making the "Hitler was just like Elvis or the Beatles when u think about it" argument

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Is the point of White Noise just "consumerism! so crazy! 80s whoa lol"?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A lot of it is about fear of death.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Ahhh right okay. I guess Baumbach is a usual skip for me anyway (though tbf I still haven't seen Frances Ha).

Honestly not a big fan of Baumbach's visuals but White Noise is a really big swing for him, it's all meticulous production design and Spielbergian disaster movie stuff. I personally loved it and think that all White Noise haters are just big dumb idiots who are too stupid to understand how dumb they are

EDIT: thought that said "visual skip" not "usual skip"

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m gonna watch white noise it sounds good / bad

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
At its heart it is an adaptation of one of the most unadaptable novels of all time, if you've read the book you will love/hate it for completely different reasons

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m gonna watch white noise it sounds good / bad

Kind of have to after nine pages of this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Is the point of White Noise just "consumerism! so crazy! 80s whoa lol"?

It thinks it's clever for saying that language is memetic. That should tell you the level it's operating on

Mostly though it's just boring. Some of it, like I said don Cheadle, is good

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

sometimes big obvious messages that people should already know are okay

Glass Onion wasn't clever or cerebral about rich people suckin' but it was a good time

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

doesn’t have to be

It was pretty entertaining though

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

mutantIke posted:

At its heart it is an adaptation of one of the most unadaptable novels of all time, if you've read the book you will love/hate it for completely different reasons

It's basically all 1 or 5 star reviews on RT.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Netflix cancelled 1899. Man that show had potential only to throw it all away for the worst ending in forever

mystes
May 31, 2006

Medullah posted:

Netflix cancelled 1899. Man that show had potential only to throw it all away for the worst ending in forever
lmao I thought they had already ordered two seasons. Jesus christ that was pointless now.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Medullah posted:

Lmao omg

Queue a producer plot explanation like with the midnight club

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I actually liked the ending of 1899, hated all the flashback stuff though. It felt like there was a lot of filler in the middle parts.

Any recs for good stuff on paramount plus other than Top Gun? So far I’ve seen Smile (great) and a few eps of Tulsa King (love sly but everything else seems kinda weak).

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Medullah posted:

You’d think the dark guys would have more sway than that. I remember dark being one of the bigger, earlier viral hits, to the point where it’s still talked about at times for it’s craziness.

1899 kinda sucked tho, and I’m not shocked if the numbers were bad. It was a huge drag to get through.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Starks posted:

I actually liked the ending of 1899, hated all the flashback stuff though. It felt like there was a lot of filler in the middle parts.

Any recs for good stuff on paramount plus other than Top Gun? So far I’ve seen Smile (great) and a few eps of Tulsa King (love sly but everything else seems kinda weak).

The Lost City is a fun one

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Medullah posted:

It was also one of the first shows to use 'the volume', which makes me think it was still pretty expensive to produce. 'The ocean behind you' can be handled pretty well by a green screen, surprised they went to all that effort when most of the series was inside the cabins of the ship anyway.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

mutantIke posted:

I hated the book and the movie for the same reason. They're part of the grand tradition of American intellectual 'comedies' that consist only of people talking repetitively and past each other while various miserable things happen to them. Stanley Elkin is the paradigmatic author of this type but you can also see it in the Joseph Heller novels people don't bother with.

There's only been one good one and that's William Gaddis's J.R. and even the comedy there is hard to read.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Starks posted:

Inkmaster

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Starks posted:

The new Beavis and Butt-Head is fun.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Starks posted:

If you watched it back in the day, The Real World Homecoming is good. So far they've had the casts of the original New York, LA, and New Orleans. Danny Roberts from NOLA is an incredible guy.

Also, Drag Race All Stars Season 7 is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48gIglLsgzk

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Starks posted:

Lower decks grabbed me and didn’t let go. Love it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

frogbs posted:

It was also one of the first shows to use 'the volume'

What does this mean

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They explain what the volume is in this article

https://techcrunch.com/2020/02/20/how-the-mandalorian-and-ilm-invisibly-reinvented-film-and-tv-production/amp/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Interesting. Like those old Cave VR videos.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tiny Timbs posted:

What does this mean

It's really cool. It was used extensively on The Mandalorian and Thor Love and Thunder.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

The Grey posted:

Every remotely interesting scene was in the trailer. The rest of the movie was like a 2 hour version of an insufferable extended dialog segment of a Quarantino or Wes Anderson movie.

Much of the dialog is pulled verbatim from what many believe to be the finest novel of one the greatest living American authors (although critics are mixed on his post-90s work), so it's not really fair to compare it to the work of filmmakers who weren't even active when the book was released in 1985. I think the main issue with the film is that the source material is now old as gently caress, so a lot of criticism of academia and once-bold and provocative cultural satire is not nearly as fresh 37 years later. We've seen 10,000 iterations of the 1980s crass consumerism thing. The movie has plenty of visual panache, though, especially for a Baumbach, and you can tell a lot of thought and care were put into props and set design. Overall, I quite enjoyed it but the 3rd act doesn't really work. I wish someone had adapted Libra instead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rental Sting posted:

Much of the dialog is pulled verbatim from what many believe to be the finest novel of one the greatest living American authors

The funny thing is I think he would be very much against this sentiment, this appeal to popularism

Edit: actually I'm certain he would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The Menu is now out on HBO Max (not in my region though...), it's supposed to be good